Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,623 | Ratings: 4,705
3.05/5  rDev -18%

A...Golden clear with a perfect white head.
Its looks like many lagers do to be honest.. despite being a 9pct "ancient ale".

S...
Sweet. The honey is there, and some floral element too... whether that is from hops or saffron I don't know (actually, I'm not sure if this beer used hops.. label only mentions barley, honey, muscat grapes and saffron)
You can smell the alcohol a little too, but not too much.
The nose actually isn't allll that much different from that of Sauternes or muscat wine.. all honey, sugar and alcohol to the nose.

T.
Too sweet for me.. and not in a rich malty way like some Belgians. The honey is there and the alcohol is a significant flavor component, which I don't like.
I can see the intense combination of sugar, honey and alcohol being really appealing to some people but I just can't get down with this.
I thought that it might be more enjoyable as it warms, as many high alcohol beers are, but that didn't seem to happen for me here.
I can definately see how many people could like it but its just a little too intensely sweet and alcohol tasting for me. Not too much balance, which is understandable considering the point of this beer.

M..
Mouthfeel was pleasantly fizzy.

D..
It is going to be hard to drink the whole 12oz bottle of this. Too sweet and alcoholic.

It might appeal to some people who like Golden Monkey (Victory's Tripel), which I liked.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

So i spy just one single bottle of this remaining within the last 4-pack holder on shelf at the market, and although i recall not liking this at all the one time i tried this several years ago, i figure let me do this once more. Pours a bright golden with a finger-thin saliva-white head. Looks unusually light for what's to be a 9% abv. ale. Lots of small bubbles in here.
Smells faintly wheat- lemon like aroma, herb-like, some honey detectable. Light smells either way. Nothing big.
Heres the taste i recall disliking. Maybe a bit better now that i have broader experience in tasting various styles. I do have in mind the fact that DFH used an ancient recipe in this creation. This just goes down rough for me. Feels ok, but that back-taste is like an earth-heavy yet metallically herbal funk to me.
Overall, while I probably wont grab this again, i couldnt imagine any other brewery putting this together as such.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Pours a one finger white head on a golden, semi-hazy color. For me the nose has a ton of grape mixed with an earthy, almost Belgian funk like smell. I get a bit alcohol in the back of the smell as well. I don't know what saffron smells like so I don't know if that is on the nose or not. There some kind of spice present.

The taste is unlike anything I've had before. Up front I get a lot of spice notes. There's a white wine like bitterness that hits mid tongue but then disappears quickly as some toasted, bready malts appear for a somewhat dry finish. It's like the beer goes from tasting like a dry white wine to a bready pale ale within the course of a drink. You get some alcohol in the finish as it goes down.

On it's own this beer doesn't have the greatest drinkability but I'm sure it would go great with the right food.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Appears like a flat Belgian pale strong, so below average carbonation, but does manage to pop a small 2 mm head that quickly settles down to filmy lacing. Clear and an orange the color of pumpkin guts. No yeast in the bottle and that coupled with flavor compounds of the grapes and spices means to me don't bother aging this one despite the high alcohol.

Fruity reminiscent of grape, yet more than that. Gets into some pineapple and white wine aromas. A little bit of butter and banana like esters from the yeast. Saffron? I don't smell any, but then again I have no idea what to expect so perhaps I am missing it.

Soft and velvety...and that's the flavor I'm talking about. Alcohol is drying and sharp, not hot, and is balanced fairly well. Hops are secondary in that they support the flavor nd I think I detect some delicate, floral, spicy Eastern Euro type hop, or a mellow equivalent thereof. Vinous, sweet and bitter, what begins as a sip of flowers and wine regresses to straw and Franzia white wine as it warms.

So dry that the top of my tongue is tingling.

Meh. The first sip was great, no joke, but it just degrades with every warmer sip as each change in degree brings out the alcohol more and more. They must have used a crap load of honey to clear this one up so much. Were any specialty grains used at all? Am I tasting saffron? Is it really worth trying to taste for?

3.05/5  rDev -18%

poured into an Ithaca pint glass

IS THIS GOLDSCHLOGAR??? I know, spelling is bad

A- see above, there are golden floaties. Not much else going on

S- bready malt. That's it. Maybe some honey, but it's overpowered by that bready scent

T- mostly malts and butter. Mo bitterness

M- thick... just thick

D- I guess even DFH can have some brews I don't enjoy. I did like the look in the glass though. This is not for me... I'm sure that some will disagree with me

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Been several years since I had this, so I snatched up a 4 pack right away when it appeared in my favorite nearby establishment. Bottled May 2006. Pours a clear gold with no head. Like most beers I drink, I pour cold. I like to taste the difference as the beer warms. Initially, not much to the aroma, but it takes a lot for me to notice much in the smell department. Faint smell of grapes and honey. Taste is surprisingly reminiscent of a Saison. Not at all like I remembered. As the beer warms, this taste goes away and the more familiar riesling sweetness comes out. This is not overly sweet, but it is very heavy. Something in the taste is really not agreeing with me. Wish I could put my finger on it.

I'm aging the rest of these and will give them another shot next year. A very different beer that should be experienced, but may not be to everyone's taste. A bottle was nearly too much for me to drink.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

I like Dogfish Head, but wouldn’t have purchased this had I not seen it on Modern Marvels, “Breweries”. There is an interesting story behind the creation of this beer. Essentially it’s a replica of a 2,700 year old brew found in a royal tomb in Turkey, obviously believed to be that of King Midas.

As for a review…
Appearance – golden and clear in color. A very smooth appearance.

Smell – very sweet, like wine. The smell of honey is very evident.

Taste – It’s a very sweet beer that I would compare with a crisp white wine. Tastes good, but I wouldn’t consider it a regular addition to the fridge. My wife, a primarily wine-drinker, liked this beer a lot.

Mouthfeel – Not much carbonation, but felt crisp.

Drink – Good. A bit too sweet to drink more than a couple, but a glass with dinner was very nice.

I paid $13 for a 4-pack. Steep, but I’m willing to support Dogfish on this one at least once for their innovation (or replication?) of this beer. I would recommend trying once, but wouldn’t suggest buying a 12-pack of it.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Pours a lightly hazy pale gold. 1/4 inch cream colored head that quickly dissipates. No lacing to speak of. Smells strongly of honey. Grapey as well. Sweet and sweet spice aromas.

Lots of caramel and sticky vinous flavors. Raisin and honey. Grapes and sweet spice. Finish is very sticky. Carmelized sweet raisin lingers. Lots of honey. Did I mention the mouth was sticky? Lots of big flavors, not alot of meshing of those flavors, they seem to battle each other. Not that drinkable. An interesting beer and one you should probably experience once. And once was enough for me.

3.04/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured into my snifter. Poured a nice golden orange, no head, and okay lacing. The nose was huge, big grape jelly.

Taste is similar to the aroma - lots of grape and quite sweet. Very reminiscent to a sauvignon blanc I feel. Mouthfeel is also somewhat jellyish.. quite odd.

Interesting brew to say the least - and glad I tried it. Definitely shows the wide range that beer can bring. Just not my cup of tea. My girlfriend, a non beer drinker, though, loved it.

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured a hazy dark Orange with a thin bit of head.

Smell is dominated by the slightly sour grape and honey smells.

Taste is a strange combination of sour grape and honey flavors with a bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel has a decent bit of carbonation with a light feel to it.

Drinkability is average, this beer is so unusual that it makes it a little harder than normal to drink, but I think it could grow on me if I got more used to it.

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass..

A. Golden straw colored, slight head on pour that quickly dissipated to a thin film. Minimal lacing

S. no discernible beer character, slight funk which I am guessing is their spices, but saffron? Not picking it up

T. Definitely taste the body of the Muscat grapes, which is a grape I have a strong attraction too.

M. Thinner than I expected for a 9 above brew. Minimal carbonation, aftertaste lingers for quite awhile. It's not an unpleasant aftertaste, just lingering..

O. An unusual beer, not quite sure how to classify. Would I drink it again, probably but wouldn't be my first choice. If your in the mood for something different, this is it!

Consumed 12-8-12

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Slightly cloudy golden in color. No real head or lacing.

S: Stong grape smells with just a whiff of the saffron used. This may be the first beer I think smells better cold, I say that because now that it's warming a bit, a very strong alcohol smell is coming out that is making it a bit hard to smell the other things in it.

T: Strong alcohol again making it hard to taste the other things. This beer seems to me mostly sweet. Nice honey flavor with a bit of grapes. I can't really taste any saffron here. Hard to get around that solvent like alcohol, though. This tastes almost like a liquor.

M: Punchy alcohol feel, I find it hard to believe this is only 9% ABV. Sweet rather than dry, medium body. Nice level of CO2, but damn is this punchy.

D&N: A nice beer to try, I don't think I'll be buying a six pack of this anytime soon.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Clear, light golden in color, minimal off white head, decent lacing leaves a slight layer on top.

S - Maybe some honey, bit of grape, not a lot happening here.

T - Definitely get the grapes, slight maltiness, some spice, not my favorite

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

O - Doesn't do a whole lot for me

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

The pour had little to no head, that dissipated to a minimal layer. The smell was sweet, reminding me of honey and sugar. The first taste was a little different than what I expected, sweet with a dry aftertaste. An okay beer, enjoyable, one that was recommended that I at least try, but not one that I will run out to buy again.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A - The orange hue was appealing, intrigued me, invited me in.

S - Grapes and Spice, could smell it, reminded me of Allagash Musette. Almost like a once used wine barrel but more musty. The spice was evident.

T - Initially I was hit with the grape, then the spices. Then a wallop of honey. The honey sweetness was reminscent of JW Dundee's honey Brown lager, way too sweet for my taste.

M - Lightly carbonated, not overwhelming. Perhaps the best feature of this beer.

D - Although not quite my cup of tea, I could understand peoplet aht would like to sit and drink it over and over. I presonally don't like overly sweet beers, but there is a market for it.

Overall, I would recommend this to a person that likes malty, sweet beers. I was curious to try it after reading the history and lore of it, but not all beers are suited for every person. I bought it as a 4-pack and know 2 people that will appreciate it much more than I do. It won't go to waste.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A: 1/2 fingertip-length head is nice, I'm not a fan of floaters in my beer and I'm trying to figure out why they would be present in this beer. The beer is a bright orange/yellow.

S: Earthy, Earthy, Earthy...It smells like a chardonnay that has had some odd spices and sugars (def honey) added to it. I would swear that this was an odd type of lager before drinking. I'm not a huge fan, but for the style it's probably spot on.

T: Taste matches smell, earthy. Taste lots of spices in the beer, one of which is clearly saffron, but the others are jumbled a bit together. You can taste the honey, but any sweetness is dulled by the spices and light chardonnay flavor. The beer is kind of dull in the front, you start tasting the sweetness in the middle, and the spices really kick in as you sip it down (my favorite part of this beer).

M: Really thin for such a high ABV beer, but with the style, that makes more sense. It's over carbonated, but to each his own. I also think it's too watery.

*This may be the only fruit/spice beer that I've found bearable. I'm still not the biggest fan of this one either, but I'm starting to think I may never like this style. However, I'll rate it according to others I've had in its category. The back-end of this beer's taste is it's highlight, as you get a lot of different flavors. I just never felt like this beer knew where it was going. Also, I would drink this really cold as I enjoyed it less as it heated up (unlike usual).

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

Copped a single 12oz bottle from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... bottle logo says "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron"... clear, lucid, apple-juice like appearance with no carbonation and minimal head... strong, sweet, cloying smell dominated by cloves, honey, and sugar... taste is slightly overbearing and a little too sweet to be truly enjoyable... grapes, florals, citrus, lemons and honey are noticeable... ultra-sweet, thick, rich taste is somewhat overbearing and dominating... watery mouthfeel and average drinkability at best due to the heavy combination of sweet flavors... not Dogfish Head's best for sure...

3.01/5  rDev -19.1%

Drank from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer is a orange with a terrible white head that is small and disappers quickly.

The one positive is nice sweet fruity malt aroma.

The taste is big let down. I has no real front end and ends almost skunky and bitter. I guess I would drink this over a bud light, but I wouldn't add this to my rotation. A very disappointment DFH.

12 oz bottle. Pours a copper orange with a fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin collar and then disappears.

The aroma is some bready malts with a little vinous (white wine) bitterness.

The flavor is very sweet malts with honey and fruitiness (grapes) and a little spiciness. It has a dryish, lightly alcoholic (champagne-like) finish. The aftertaste is very sweet and syrupy (almost treacly as it warms). It's kind of mead-like and wine-like. It's medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a bit too sweet (and expensive) for me, but very interesting considering the backstory.

OK, these rating numbers don't help much with a drink like this. How's it supposed to look? Taste? Smell??
I had this at a beer festival in Houston and had heard that it was like a hybrid of beer and wine. I would say it's more like mead and wine because there is no hops and nothing that really tastes like malt to me either. So...does that sound like beer? Very strange sweetish, sticky brew that everyone should have once (and then you can decide if more is needed!)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Obtained a 12 oz. bottle from Market of Choice in Eugene, OR. Poured into a brandy snifter.

Thin soda-like head quickly disappears. Rosey peach color.

Rose petal, booze, biscuit, and grape aromas.

Taste: imagine a tripel mixed with box wine. Candy, apple, wine flavors, booze, and some malty flavors. Very sweet and cloying. Some honey in the finish and the saffron not apparent. Spritzey.

I wouldn't drink another because of the sweet candy flavors go unbalanced and higher alcohols are a bit harsh. I kind of expected this.

Pours a nice clean amber without any hazing or clouding and nice carbonation bubbling up to a nice film on top. Smell is grapes, honey, spices, cardamom, malt and caramel. Taste is very malty and just maybe a slight hint of cheese. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy and drinkability is ok.

The beer poured a hazy gold color with almost no head. This did not impress me at all. The aroma was horrible. It smelt cidery. The taste was also bad. It tasted syrupy. There seems to be little complexity. It boasts a 9%abv.. The mouthfeel was lacking. This is a full bodied beer. No very drinkable.

This beer kind of took me by surprise.

A: pours a clear golden amber with a quickly dispersing white head

S: wheat grapes and a tiny waff of hops

T: sweet white grapes, some dry wheat and a small amount of hopes, i dont want to say bland but lacks a defining characteristic

M: has the right amount of carbonation and small hop character that doesn't really linger.

O: not bad, the grapes are interesting for a beer though.

Pours a nice golden with minimal lasting white head. Smell is a slightly grainy honey sweet smell as it opens up a bit. Also a twinge of something else, which I think is the grapes. Kind of a slight wine like aroma to it as well, but something I can't quite pinpoint for sure, but I don't notice the saffron... A bit unusual. Wow, taste is quite sweet, but not at all what I expected... Honey is prevalent, a grain taste as well, but almost none of the 9% alcohol is there which is a huge plus. Has a bit of a white wine crossed with a sweet beer feel to it. Very unique for sure, and not as crazy and undrinkable as I feared it might be. Although it is a sipper beer, rather than a session type. It's still a bit sweet, but I kind of like it...

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery