Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,634 | Ratings: 4,752
3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

A: golden and clear, one finger head and lacing

S: lots of grapes, kind of like a Riesling

T: it initially tastes like an amped up lager, malty with a slight bitterness, then the wine hits and the finish is boozey and dry

M: light- to medium-bodied, light carbonation that goes flat minutes after the pour

O: tastes a lot like a high ABV lager with white grape mixed in. Maybe best described as a wine-lager cocktail. I had this a few years ago and I don't remember it being so lagery. It's interesting but not something I'd have again.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Golden clear, virtually no head, though nice bubbles formed and quickly dissipated when it was poured. Good steady carbonation.

S = Smells like honey with maybe some light cinnamon. Wouldn't describe it as remotely beerlike though.

T = This is beer? I guess I can taste some aspects of a malty brew (something like Coors in the background), but someone mixed it with mead. Mostly though this is like a carbonated weak, mead.

M = Medium body, low carbonation.

D = Alcohol is not too strong in the taste. As for whether it's good enough to return to? I'd say no. Glad I tried it, but it really is more like a funky mead than a spiced beer. I am not a huge mead fan, but I do have it on occasion. If I were going to do that, I would get a real mead. If I want a beer, I will choose a more normal beer.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice golden color with a decent head. This one reminded me more of a cross breed of a fruit beer (grape/raisin) and a barley wine. Alcohol smell and taste was a high. Overall decent tasting, but left an overly sweet aftertaste and thick residue on the throat. There is a very original taste of saffron (a very expensive spice) in this one that makes it interesting to try even if it is not you typical everyday bear. Reminiscent of Victory's Golden Monkey but not as drinkable.

Overall. not one of my favorites (I hear this one improves with age) from Dogfish Head, but still better than many out there.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

This is what I call a landslide beer. It starts great, but declines as the experience goes on.

first off, this is an ancient ale from the tomb of king midas, but that is not completely accurate, as a lot changes had to be made to make it a beer and not a slop. This makes the beer better than people were drinking thousands of years ago, but I think we should be drinking better beer than people who didn't know that yeast existed.

The color is a great golden ruby color with a good head.

It smells a little sweet, but very alluring with the grape smell coming to life.

It tastes a little too sweet for a beer, but still quite good, and the flavors are very prominant of honey and muscat grapes.

It is a little winey with a little alcohol burn. This gets worse if you get it in bottle, since the aromas aren't allowed to escape unless it sits a little while.

It is not very drinkable, because due to the sweetness and alcohol, if you do not take this with food, you may be choking down the last gulp. Lastly, DO NOT LET THIS BEER GET WARM!! It turns into a beast.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a slightly hazy bold golden colour, with only minimal head provoked through a reasonably aggressive pour. Head disintegrates rather quickly, leaving on a film around the top. Lacing is ok. Overall, not a great looker, but pleasant enough.

Big slightly wine-like booze notes on the nose. Musty phenols, rather similar to a kellerbier, and a little spice, but nothing like the odd fragrances I was expecting. Rather more like a wine-filled cellar - the mustiness suggests age at least.

More strident alcohol notes on the palate. Sharp, somewhat astringent heat through the centre of the palate, and a lifting slightly herbal fragrance on the back, evoking rosemary and carob. Almost a fortified wine character to it though which makes up the bulk of the flavour, hot, heavy and slightly acidic. Mouthfeel is sharp with booze, with a light tingle from the acidity.

I can't say I'm a big fan of this. The wine notes are prominent, but there's not a huge amount of interest otherwise, and it feels as though it is far too alcoholic. An interesting experiment perhaps from Dogfish Head, but not one that I'd care to experiment with again.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

A - Looks like a beer. Golden yellow with a foamy head. Noticeable carbonation. Halfway decent lacing

S - Smeels like honey, with some funk as well, and green grapes.

T - Sweet and is reminiscent of a white wine. Again, there is a taste of funk, which I cant describe any better than that

M - Well carbonated and dry. The 9% is very well hidden

O - Its not bad by any stretch, but it is not my cup of tea. I dont like white wine and this is very much like the beer equivalent of a white wine.

3.07/5  rDev -17.7%

For some reason I always walk past the Midas Touch when I'm at the beer store, probably because of the lack of IBUs. Finally decided to try it nonetheless.

Appearance-Golden color, with a 2 inch head after an agressive pour that quicky dissipates.

Smell-Took a while to get much but was soon able to get the grapes. So apparently this beer has saffron in there but all I know about saffron is that it's expensive and have never cooked with it or tasted it. It almost tastes like that non alcoholic grape champagne that you serve to kids on New Years Eve.

Taste- Sweet honey, grapes, pear and spice(probably the saffron?). Thought it would be a little more complex, a little boring. Some barleywine characteristics.

Mouthfeel-Texture and mouthfeel of champagne.

Overall-if your a hophead or a stouthead don't drink this beer. Drinkability level is very high, but definitely not one of dogfish bests.

After drinking this and a Dunkleweizen, I definitely have to go for a hopbomb in about 30 minutes.

3.07/5  rDev -17.7%

Nice golden to amber color. Small head.

Nose unlike any beer I've encountered. Sweet and perfumy - not sure if thats the saffron or the muscat but I'm guessing its the muscat. Also a lot of spice which must be the saffron.

Taste: I definitely pick up the grape here and although I love wine I'm not sure thats a good thing. Also some spice and orange peel tastes.

Mouthfeel also is a little off for beer. I'll give it a go and because I'm the perservering type I'll try to be openminded and make it through the bottle but this is not my glass of beer.

3.07/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Poured into a Sam Adam's Sensory Glass with 2 fingers of fairly slowly fading head that leaves a pretty good amount of head. Interesting flaky particulate in the body. Visible carbonation. Looks very champagne like.

S - Very grapy smell. No alcohol heat. Very little grain smell.

T - Again, very champagne like. Not quite sure what else is going on here. Slight alcohol heat near the end of the sip. Saffron adds an interesting spicy/sweet combination. Doesn't leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. Slightly cloying. No hop bitterness, could certainly use some.

MF - A bit too carbonated. Tingles the tongue and interferes with tasting.

D - Poor. Bad aftertaste and too carbonated.

3.06/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured from a 12oz. bottle and into a tulip glass. Head disappeared pretty quickly with just a little ring at the edge of the brew. Extremely bright gold and that shimmers in the light.

S: The smell was off musty grapes with a hint of honey. Not sure if this was an old beer but the nothing off hops and no malt characteristics.

T: Resembled a white wine more then it did a beer. The grapes are the dominate flavor here with a slight tartness thats not overwhelming. Could not taste hops or any other specialty malt.

M: Pretty damn thin in my opinion, but enjoyed the dryness of the beer. could prolly drink a couple of these.

O: It's far from a bad beer and definitely something everyone should try but for the price tag a would not pay for this myself.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Executive Review: Not what I expected, given the description from DFH. Uncharacteristically thin and estery for these guys.

Appearance: Nice amber pour...clear as day. Thin head that gets thinner and quickly reduces to a ring around the glass.

Smell: Definitely wine-y. Can get the flowery bit with the saffron, but the alcohol is in the nose as well, and I don't particularly like that in a brew.

Taste: Grape googly moogly! A definite alcohol presence as well. Quite a rude awakening coming off a double IPA this evening. Not a bad flavor...but one you have to be prepared for.

Mouthfeel: I thought it was a little thin. I expected more of a sticky feel to this one, but it's not.

Drinkability: Yikes. I wouldn't want more than one of these. It'll put you in a fog if you're not ready for it. I'd recommend this as an after-dinner drink.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

A...Golden clear with a perfect white head.
Its looks like many lagers do to be honest.. despite being a 9pct "ancient ale".

S...
Sweet. The honey is there, and some floral element too... whether that is from hops or saffron I don't know (actually, I'm not sure if this beer used hops.. label only mentions barley, honey, muscat grapes and saffron)
You can smell the alcohol a little too, but not too much.
The nose actually isn't allll that much different from that of Sauternes or muscat wine.. all honey, sugar and alcohol to the nose.

T.
Too sweet for me.. and not in a rich malty way like some Belgians. The honey is there and the alcohol is a significant flavor component, which I don't like.
I can see the intense combination of sugar, honey and alcohol being really appealing to some people but I just can't get down with this.
I thought that it might be more enjoyable as it warms, as many high alcohol beers are, but that didn't seem to happen for me here.
I can definately see how many people could like it but its just a little too intensely sweet and alcohol tasting for me. Not too much balance, which is understandable considering the point of this beer.

M..
Mouthfeel was pleasantly fizzy.

D..
It is going to be hard to drink the whole 12oz bottle of this. Too sweet and alcoholic.

It might appeal to some people who like Golden Monkey (Victory's Tripel), which I liked.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

So i spy just one single bottle of this remaining within the last 4-pack holder on shelf at the market, and although i recall not liking this at all the one time i tried this several years ago, i figure let me do this once more. Pours a bright golden with a finger-thin saliva-white head. Looks unusually light for what's to be a 9% abv. ale. Lots of small bubbles in here.
Smells faintly wheat- lemon like aroma, herb-like, some honey detectable. Light smells either way. Nothing big.
Heres the taste i recall disliking. Maybe a bit better now that i have broader experience in tasting various styles. I do have in mind the fact that DFH used an ancient recipe in this creation. This just goes down rough for me. Feels ok, but that back-taste is like an earth-heavy yet metallically herbal funk to me.
Overall, while I probably wont grab this again, i couldnt imagine any other brewery putting this together as such.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a one finger white head on a golden, semi-hazy color. For me the nose has a ton of grape mixed with an earthy, almost Belgian funk like smell. I get a bit alcohol in the back of the smell as well. I don't know what saffron smells like so I don't know if that is on the nose or not. There some kind of spice present.

The taste is unlike anything I've had before. Up front I get a lot of spice notes. There's a white wine like bitterness that hits mid tongue but then disappears quickly as some toasted, bready malts appear for a somewhat dry finish. It's like the beer goes from tasting like a dry white wine to a bready pale ale within the course of a drink. You get some alcohol in the finish as it goes down.

On it's own this beer doesn't have the greatest drinkability but I'm sure it would go great with the right food.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Appears like a flat Belgian pale strong, so below average carbonation, but does manage to pop a small 2 mm head that quickly settles down to filmy lacing. Clear and an orange the color of pumpkin guts. No yeast in the bottle and that coupled with flavor compounds of the grapes and spices means to me don't bother aging this one despite the high alcohol.

Fruity reminiscent of grape, yet more than that. Gets into some pineapple and white wine aromas. A little bit of butter and banana like esters from the yeast. Saffron? I don't smell any, but then again I have no idea what to expect so perhaps I am missing it.

Soft and velvety...and that's the flavor I'm talking about. Alcohol is drying and sharp, not hot, and is balanced fairly well. Hops are secondary in that they support the flavor nd I think I detect some delicate, floral, spicy Eastern Euro type hop, or a mellow equivalent thereof. Vinous, sweet and bitter, what begins as a sip of flowers and wine regresses to straw and Franzia white wine as it warms.

So dry that the top of my tongue is tingling.

Meh. The first sip was great, no joke, but it just degrades with every warmer sip as each change in degree brings out the alcohol more and more. They must have used a crap load of honey to clear this one up so much. Were any specialty grains used at all? Am I tasting saffron? Is it really worth trying to taste for?

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

poured into an Ithaca pint glass

IS THIS GOLDSCHLOGAR??? I know, spelling is bad

A- see above, there are golden floaties. Not much else going on

S- bready malt. That's it. Maybe some honey, but it's overpowered by that bready scent

T- mostly malts and butter. Mo bitterness

M- thick... just thick

D- I guess even DFH can have some brews I don't enjoy. I did like the look in the glass though. This is not for me... I'm sure that some will disagree with me

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Been several years since I had this, so I snatched up a 4 pack right away when it appeared in my favorite nearby establishment. Bottled May 2006. Pours a clear gold with no head. Like most beers I drink, I pour cold. I like to taste the difference as the beer warms. Initially, not much to the aroma, but it takes a lot for me to notice much in the smell department. Faint smell of grapes and honey. Taste is surprisingly reminiscent of a Saison. Not at all like I remembered. As the beer warms, this taste goes away and the more familiar riesling sweetness comes out. This is not overly sweet, but it is very heavy. Something in the taste is really not agreeing with me. Wish I could put my finger on it.

I'm aging the rest of these and will give them another shot next year. A very different beer that should be experienced, but may not be to everyone's taste. A bottle was nearly too much for me to drink.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

I like Dogfish Head, but wouldn’t have purchased this had I not seen it on Modern Marvels, “Breweries”. There is an interesting story behind the creation of this beer. Essentially it’s a replica of a 2,700 year old brew found in a royal tomb in Turkey, obviously believed to be that of King Midas.

As for a review…
Appearance – golden and clear in color. A very smooth appearance.

Smell – very sweet, like wine. The smell of honey is very evident.

Taste – It’s a very sweet beer that I would compare with a crisp white wine. Tastes good, but I wouldn’t consider it a regular addition to the fridge. My wife, a primarily wine-drinker, liked this beer a lot.

Mouthfeel – Not much carbonation, but felt crisp.

Drink – Good. A bit too sweet to drink more than a couple, but a glass with dinner was very nice.

I paid $13 for a 4-pack. Steep, but I’m willing to support Dogfish on this one at least once for their innovation (or replication?) of this beer. I would recommend trying once, but wouldn’t suggest buying a 12-pack of it.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a lightly hazy pale gold. 1/4 inch cream colored head that quickly dissipates. No lacing to speak of. Smells strongly of honey. Grapey as well. Sweet and sweet spice aromas.

Lots of caramel and sticky vinous flavors. Raisin and honey. Grapes and sweet spice. Finish is very sticky. Carmelized sweet raisin lingers. Lots of honey. Did I mention the mouth was sticky? Lots of big flavors, not alot of meshing of those flavors, they seem to battle each other. Not that drinkable. An interesting beer and one you should probably experience once. And once was enough for me.

3.04/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured into my snifter. Poured a nice golden orange, no head, and okay lacing. The nose was huge, big grape jelly.

Taste is similar to the aroma - lots of grape and quite sweet. Very reminiscent to a sauvignon blanc I feel. Mouthfeel is also somewhat jellyish.. quite odd.

Interesting brew to say the least - and glad I tried it. Definitely shows the wide range that beer can bring. Just not my cup of tea. My girlfriend, a non beer drinker, though, loved it.

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured a hazy dark Orange with a thin bit of head.

Smell is dominated by the slightly sour grape and honey smells.

Taste is a strange combination of sour grape and honey flavors with a bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel has a decent bit of carbonation with a light feel to it.

Drinkability is average, this beer is so unusual that it makes it a little harder than normal to drink, but I think it could grow on me if I got more used to it.

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass..

A. Golden straw colored, slight head on pour that quickly dissipated to a thin film. Minimal lacing

S. no discernible beer character, slight funk which I am guessing is their spices, but saffron? Not picking it up

T. Definitely taste the body of the Muscat grapes, which is a grape I have a strong attraction too.

M. Thinner than I expected for a 9 above brew. Minimal carbonation, aftertaste lingers for quite awhile. It's not an unpleasant aftertaste, just lingering..

O. An unusual beer, not quite sure how to classify. Would I drink it again, probably but wouldn't be my first choice. If your in the mood for something different, this is it!

Consumed 12-8-12

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Slightly cloudy golden in color. No real head or lacing.

S: Stong grape smells with just a whiff of the saffron used. This may be the first beer I think smells better cold, I say that because now that it's warming a bit, a very strong alcohol smell is coming out that is making it a bit hard to smell the other things in it.

T: Strong alcohol again making it hard to taste the other things. This beer seems to me mostly sweet. Nice honey flavor with a bit of grapes. I can't really taste any saffron here. Hard to get around that solvent like alcohol, though. This tastes almost like a liquor.

M: Punchy alcohol feel, I find it hard to believe this is only 9% ABV. Sweet rather than dry, medium body. Nice level of CO2, but damn is this punchy.

D&N: A nice beer to try, I don't think I'll be buying a six pack of this anytime soon.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Clear, light golden in color, minimal off white head, decent lacing leaves a slight layer on top.

S - Maybe some honey, bit of grape, not a lot happening here.

T - Definitely get the grapes, slight maltiness, some spice, not my favorite

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

O - Doesn't do a whole lot for me

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

The pour had little to no head, that dissipated to a minimal layer. The smell was sweet, reminding me of honey and sugar. The first taste was a little different than what I expected, sweet with a dry aftertaste. An okay beer, enjoyable, one that was recommended that I at least try, but not one that I will run out to buy again.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery