Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,644 | Ratings: 4,787
3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: A vibrant golden hue with a small head. The carbonation looks fairly aggressive in my goblet; it has a beautiful primeval appearance like liquid gold.

Smell: Wine like, I get a hint of vinegar. It doesn’t really smell like beer, but it isn’t awful.

Taste: Smooth malt taste, there is a sweet overtone – it isn’t overpowering at all. Swirling it around my mouth I get the bitterness of the brew, quite mild. I really like the way this beer tastes, it isn’t like a traditional beer. This is a really nice hybrid brew; I find it more like mead then beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, good carbonation. I consider the mouthfeel solid.

Drinkability: the high ABV makes it hard to drink more then 2 without getting piss ass drunk, the price makes me not want to buy it very often. When I drink this beer I frequently want to drink quite a few, it feels like a beverage that ancient man would drink large quantities of while celebrating.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a white wine glass.

Aroma: Sweet aroma of grapes (prominent). Clean and crisp sauvignon blanc/riesling-like nose.

Appearance: Golden color with strong orange tint (honey-like, probably influenced by the saffron). Slight, off-white head that quickly dissipates with no trail and very slight legs. Very clear with a few bubbles rising.

Flavor: Moderate grape flavor on a background of light maltiness and a slight bit of honey sweetness. Some dryness at the finish that stays on the palate a bit.

Mouthfeel: Light body and pretty high carbonation with some bite (champagne-like). Smooth and crisp with a slight warmth at finish (enough to let you know it is 9%).

Overall Impressions: Drinks like a light bodied beer, but with a lot of flavor. Seemingly a direct midpoint between beer and champagne. Very pleased to have tried and quite different than anything I have tasted to date (that I can recall).

Served in pint glass.

Pours a clear, light amber. Head is eggshell, frothy and retentive.

Aromas of honey, spice and grapes prominent. Hints of alcohol and lavender also present.

Notes of oily hops and prickly alcohol are first, followed by white grapes, honey, spice and a faint citrus. Finish is dry with touches of grapeskin and saffron.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp, with moderate carbonation. Medium-full body.

I wouldn't quite call it gold, but it is one of my favorite spiced beers. Works very well as a pairing, so-so on its own.

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

Wow! This seems more like a desert beer. Very sweet. Complex and unique to say the least. I can't really even describe it. This has to be one of the best "sweet" beers I've had, if you consider it beer at all. Very pricy at about four dollars a 12oz. bottle. In my opinion it would be the perfect beer after a heavy meal to finish the night. At 9% ABV three or four and you'll finish the night right with a great desert finisher. Would go great with multiple deserts like heavy chocolate, cheese cake, etc... Only a 4 on drinkability because I think more than 3-4 would overwhelm most. In my opinion this is a classic, true, above average cutting edge brew that challenges the norms of beer making. A must try at least once.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery pint glass.

A- 1/2 finger quick-disappearing white head, yellow-golden body

S- Malt/barley, grape

T/M- Malt/barley overtones, grape undertones; the finish had a lot of grape flavor, alcohol also came through a little at the end

O- an interesting beer that I believe is bet described as a combo "white-wine-beer" It is different and I would try it again

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

this beer is very unique, the story, the taste, the brew, the idea. i really REALLY wanted to love this beer but it just wasnt anything special. I gave the smell a 5 as its not like any beer youll smell anywhere else. I only had one bottle, maybe if i had more i would understand the hoopla. still, gotta give it up for Dogfish, taking american beer in new directions. mad props.

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light and crisp, head is white and disappears in seconds.

S: bitter, can't smell a lot.

T: very bitter, alcohol kicks in quickly, light honey notes. Not very complex. As the beer warms up the grapes and spices get more intense.

M: heavier than expected, very carbonated.

O: the 9% ABV kicks your taste buds hard and the bitter taste does the rest. It is not a bad beer if this is what you are looking for, but I've tasted better. Drink it only slightly below room temperature to enhance the flavor and spices.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer is extremely well layered. The hints of dry honey up front, strong grape essences in the middle. Touches of saffron in the finish. This is a classic example of what beer used to be before the advent of hops. All the the ingredients used to make this used to be the domain of kings. It's regal and complex.

It is a very rich, thick brew with a decent amount of carbonation. The aromas are just as complex as the flavors, I definately picked out the honey and white grapes.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

i find it hard to be objective with this one. i love this beer! Very difficult to compare in terms of style.

No matter how i pour this one i can't produce a head of any kind that lasts for more than a few seconds. Little to no lacing as well. The color is a great; a very clear gold. Having said all that, this is not a beauty contest winner for me.

The aroma on this one is a huge part of it for me. Very rich and varied, and only gets more interesting as it warms. The grapes really do come through in hints of wine-like aromas.

The mouthfeel on this one is great if you love them a little syrupy, and i don't mean this in a bad way. It's just very smooth, silky and even a little thick on the palate.

Perhaps my palate is underdeveloped, but i don't really get saffron out of this one, but i get heaps of honey and grape. This can be a bit sweet for many, but for me this is THE dessert beer! The alcohol is high and does figure into the flavor pretty heavily, but for comparison's sake, i have tried tons of high quality trippels, with less ABV, that tasted more alcoholic than this one. If that helps.

i like this a lot and the only real reasons i don't rate it higher are:
1) Too high in alcohol content for it to be other than a once in a while treat for me, and;

B) This one is quite expensive when i can find it in my area. But i consider it worth the wait and the price on certain occasions.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

a very interesting brew. supposed to be the oldest known recipe for an alcoholic beverage which adds to the appeal. A dark get complex brew with hints of grapes honey and other unknown spices, also very strong in alcohol but with only a mild pleasant alcoholic bite.

4.63/5  rDev +24.5%

Normally I just cover the A, S, T, M, D and give an overall impression, but after drinking the four pack and experimenting I am going to embellish a bit here in the hopes that if someone is going to give this beer a try they do, but keep in mind, it is unfair to really compare it to anything else.

As most BA's will know, this beer is made up of a wide
range of specialty ingredients and is based on a recipe from clay tablets and jars of a brewed beverage found in a tomb in Turkey dating back 2700 years. This should be noted since it determines how to approach this beer.

The first bottle I had was chilled in the fridge, poured into a chalice glass and consumed. Based on that it was ok, but really nothing exceptional and that dissapointment had me wondering what to do with the other 3 bottles. I then thought, this is a beer more closely related to a mead than what I would call beer being a 21st century beer drinker. Also, 2700 years ago, Frigidaire wasn't around so at best, cellar temp is what your going to get for a spring beer in Turkey without refrigeration. Based on this I took the bottles out of the fridge and let them stand for about 30 minutes then I consumed. The difference was amazing. The below notes are based on that tasting. I didn't have a thermometer, but I would guess that serving temperature was around 50 and warmed to 60 or so before I finished it. It felt cool to drink, but not cold.

Appearance: Pours an excellent golden honey color and will coat the glass if swirled, like a lower end wine. The initial head is very good, but does dissipate quickly, but not entirely. It leaves bits of lacing on the glass as it is consumed.

Smell: Honey is the first thing I noticed and with the warmer serving notes of citrus comes out, more than just the grapefruit or orange you will normally see in citrus, this also presents with hints of melon and tropical fruits.

Taste: As stated above, the temperature changes this beers character dramatically. I've never liked "warm" beers, but this one is exceptional. I would drink this anytime and honestly feel that to chill it is a crime to your tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: The feel is very much comparable to a mead. The alcohol while detectable is not as prevalent as was expected. The carbonation is light and barely apparent. There is a bit of tanginess that can be detected.

Drinkability: I would've given this a perfect 5.0, but that's only when it is served at cellar temperatures. If served in the high 30's to 40's like most beers a lot of the taste is closed off and the beer becomes underwhelming.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: pale straw with very little head that recedes quickly. A very clear brew.

S: the sweet muscat grapes definitely come out on top which leads into some very floral notes and some musty minerality. Really love the nose on this brew. Smells like a walk in a blooming orange grove. Maybe a little cloying, but still enjoyable.

T: Surprisingly malty given the sweet fruit notes on the nose. I get notes of raw grain and some toasty bread that recedes into a mild dry riesling-like finish.

M-light and very carbonated, the alcohol is barely noticable. For a 9% beer, you would have no clue that it's anything more than 4%

O: Enjoyable, but to be honest I have nothing to compare this to. More than anything i loved how the raw maltiness gave way to some delicate sweetness. I loved the orange blossom on the nose and the contrast between the scent and how the beer actually taste. However, the initial maltiness up front did remind me of some cheaper macro-brew pils. Still, for the novelty of drinking an ancient style beer, give this one a try.

3.87/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The most recent batch made it to Colorado, these being dated 6/27/08. It's been quite some time since I've had this, at least two years maybe three. I want to say that I recall it having a bit more spice in a previous life, but it would be unfair to not note that by saying my tastes have changed up significantly since then.

The appearance from the bottle to a NB goblet showed about 3/8 inch head with small continuous bubbles, and in this hot house today (about 80) there was a constant "sweat" present from condensation on the glass. The beer itself really does appear to be a strong golden color - ignore that many beers are golden, but this really does look like gold brick color IMHO.

Sticking my nose down in the glass really opens up this beer - more so than the taste does. It's fragrance is large and in charge :) I would assume that DFH was intentionally trying to not have too much carbonation present, as the mouthfeel made me want it to have just that little bit more.. ?

I saw the history channel special that featured this particular DFH brew and have been intrigued about it but at 12-13 bucks for four beers, I don't think this is something that I would really think about getting again. It's just too expensive. I like Palo Santo and Immort for about the same money!

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pretty to look at. Almost translucent orange, like orange gummy candy but slightly darker. No head.

S: Smells like candy! Honey and sweet orange/apricot

T: Very sweet, with more honey flavor showing through over citrusy tones. The sweetness gets a little bitter and sour as the beer moves across the palate and down the throat.

M: More carbonated than it looks from a tulip glass pour. Crisp, but some the taste lingers on the tongue, especially orange candy and a slight alcoholic echo.

D: Fun to drink, especially with the historical nature of the beer recipe, etc. The sweetness gets a little overpowering - and I enjoy sweet beer. Although its not the "best" beer I've ever had, definitely worth it for the novelty and a great conversation starter if shared with friends.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

Golden amber in appearance, light carbonation with nice 2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing in 1-pint footed pilsner glass. No lacing as beer is consumed.

Light hint of grape. Never smelled saffron so if their apparent I have no idea.

Taste of grapes are very apparent. Saffron slight hint.

Tangy feel of grape remains in back of mouth for some time.

Very expensive brew not what I would look for next time.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Midas Touch pours with a deep amber/orange color with small head that dissipates soon after being poured. Midas is extremely sweet with prounced tastes of grapes and honey with an aftertaste of spiced apples, very similar to a hard cider. A very enjoyable drink especially after learning the fabled origin of the beer. Congrats to Dogfish Head for taking the chance and brewing something so unique.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

I've been waiting to try this for a long time. It has the color and aroma of a standard American Lager. That supprised me a bit. It poured clear with a small head and medium carbonation. I don't quite know how to explain the taste. It seems bitter at first but then changes to a heavy almost stale flavor. I had two and the second one was more palitable than the first. Maybe it is the high alcohol content that gives it the most overpowering flavor. Sort of like an Imperial Stout in that manor.

3.46/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting brew....the smell has a touch of something that somewhat turns me off. I can't really put my finger on it though. Color is a hazy dark straw color. Head diminishes quickly and legs receed quickly. Taste is...unique. There's a mild sweetness that makes itself known in the middle of the sip, almost a grape like quality to it. Moves into a honey finish that subsides fast. I find that a lot of the 'unique' brews aren't good for drinking on a semi-regular basis but this I could drink a few times a year.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

App - Very clear with a bit of yellow/gold hue. Good Head retention
Nose - Light honey and malt with a just a touch of the sweet sourness.
Taste - Very sweet and malty, but still balanced with the slightest bit of spice. No real notice of a, "grape" , flavor, but still holds a tarty Muscat.
Aftertaste - Tarty and sweet, the honey really sticks around well.
Mouth Feel - Thick with a Port like syrup feel. Carbonation compliments rather than distracts.
Overall - This a very unique beer. Doesn't really fit into any great style, but fits well into just about any white wine drinkers bill.

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%

purchased as a 12 oz bottle in SF CA. Beer pours a seriously dark golden honey color and has little head to speak of. Very little carbonation on this one. Smell is of white grapes and a funky malt and honey scent, a little off in my opinion.Taste is alcohol up front with a big sweetness at the finish. In between is hard to describe but its a bit sour and funky. Mouth feel on this beer is quite nice, its smooth and easy going. The drink ability is quite high for such a strong beer, hardly notice that its 9 percent. A good beer for fans of the unusual.

2.79/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

At first site with a nice somewhat strong head but later to be paired with a mediocure appearance overall, I expected more from midas touch. The first inhale was of a deep honey mixed with a little spice. I expected the barley to be one of the main features of this beer, but along the lines of the 3rd sip quickly realized this was a beer and white wine match made in heaven. From my personal beer preference it was flat out just too winey for my liking. A giant fan of dogfish at heart...but this one is definitely 60 & 90 minutes apart from the IPA.

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

You try this beer because you heard the story and you want to know what beer might have been like 3000 years ago. But then you remember they did not have 9.0 ABV beer back then. Still the story is great!

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another interesting beer from these guys.

The first thing I noticed was the grapes. Not too up front, but probably the most notable characteristic of the beer- smell and taste. Doesn't feel like 9% ABV. I thought it seemed like it had a bit of a sour taste to it as well, though I'd like to have another to be sure.

I enjoyed this beer, but considering the pricetag, I won't frequent it. Worth a try, of course.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A - pours a golden yellow with virtually no head

S - grapes, sweet malt, saffron in the back

T - white grapes, honey towards the end and then barley on the finish

M - fairly smooth, low/med carbonation, med body with a light creaminess or roundness

D - i really enjoyed this beer, it was different. It looked and smelled like wine, but tasted like a beer. I couldnt have too much of it at one time, but i do think its an enjoyable beer.

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%

Bottled on date 2 May 2011, poured into a crystal mug.

A: Pours golden with a slight haze. 1 inch off white head with medium sized bubbles which drops to a thin film with a little lacing.

S: Very interesting aroma, has a nice spicy smell almost musky. Honey and grapes are evident in the aroma, enticing me to take a big sip.

T: Lots of things going on! The grapes are up front, with a slight bitterness. Honey sweetness and a light saffron flavor. Aftertaste is all honey, feels like I just had a spoon full of honey.

M: Light carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

O: This is a great brew, much more beer like than I was expecting (this is a good thing!). Very dangerous at 9% abv, I could drink this all day. I'm wondering what this would be with some wild bugs in the mix. Would be a good idea as the "original" definitely had some funk.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery