Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,640 | Ratings: 4,765
3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a bottled on date-01/04/06.
Poured into the pint glass a light copper tone with hints of orange. The head was light, white, tight laced, but short lived. Traces of lace in the glass.
One should take time in the nose. Layers of pine nuts, safron, honey, concord grape and light buttery carmel prepare you for a mouthful of joy.
The mouthfeel is thick. The honey and spice create a front and the buttery diacetyl carrie the malt, corn, and concord grape over the tongue and in the finish is a sweet warmth from the alcohol and a piney sap bitter linger.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Light copper with rose colored hues, high clarity. No head, just a fine light ring suspended along the edges that remains throughout the experience. Delicate streaming bubbles present. Smell is faint, with notes of bready malt, candy sweet fruit- apples, grapes, and light spice. The taste is very sugary and sweet, with a touch of fruit and honey. The flavor kind of gently fades into a slight alcoholic finish that is a bit herbal/plastic. Unique combination of flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, almost wine-like, with decent carbonation. This beer is overly sweet with nothing to balance it out, and the finish is unremarkable. Interesting and worth a try...

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured up golden in the glass with tons of bubbles, but only a thin head of foam.
Smelled of grain and grapes, slightly vinegar, and a touch of sweet fruit behind that.
Taste had just a touch of malt over the grape hints, honey was barely noticable, and no saffron. Very wine-like, somewhat tart and astringent. Not a very pleasant tasting beer.
Mouthfeel was very carbonated, tingly and thin to medium.
Not the worst beer to ever cross my lips, but for the price, I'll pass next time.

cheers...

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours cloudy apricpt color with little to no head retention.

Smell very remenicent of honey mead. Very sweet with a light hop aroma Citrus fruitiness.

Taste is sweetness of honey balanced with citrus sourness. Very unusual. Finish has a touch of hopiness.

Mouthfeel is Light to medium bodied.

Overall, this is quite an unusual brew. A hopped honey mead. This brew is definitely an aquired taste. This might be a good summer brew. I'm really intrigued with the idea of a great brewery like Dogfish remaking anceint beer recipes.

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured a hazy dark Orange with a thin bit of head.

Smell is dominated by the slightly sour grape and honey smells.

Taste is a strange combination of sour grape and honey flavors with a bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel has a decent bit of carbonation with a light feel to it.

Drinkability is average, this beer is so unusual that it makes it a little harder than normal to drink, but I think it could grow on me if I got more used to it.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours the color of a sunset with a small short-lived thin fizzy head. Lots of carbonation bubbles.
Smell is of alcohol and spice. Maybe some clove.
Woa! I can say that I have not had a beer like this and I can also say that I don't like this beer. Taste is buttery, bitter, medicinal, and metallic.
Mouthfeel is fair. Crisp. And I wouldn't consider this a drinkable beer.
I'm not saying that this is a bad beer. It's simply not my thing and maybe my palate is not adventurous enough to fully enjoy the Midas Touch.

2.52/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with Prince Purple colored label containing a fingerprint and no freshness date. Thin, wispy, head that dissolves immediately. Lots of bubbles are active under the surface. Clear, pale gold in color.

Not a whole lot in the smell. Mostly sweetness, I guess due to the honey, but it doesnt smell like honey. Caramel malts and toasty bread.

Not really much in the taste either. I was a little dissappointed. Very sweet. Caramel malts. Slight alcohol tinge. I served cold but I would assume the alcohol would come out more if warm. Kind of cheap lager tasting really. Tastes a lot like a malt liquor or a strong Bud or Coors novelty type beer. Way too sweet and cloying.

Slick feel on the teeth. Fairly full bodied. Average drinkability for a less than average beer. I was very dissappointed in this beer. At almost $12 for a four pack, I feel I was ripped off.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

After skipping what appeared to be a heat-damaged raison d'etre (90% of glass was head, I do get heat-damaged beers with some frequency in FL), the next bottle in the dogfish tasting is this 9% product. It pours at 50f with minimal head, and the nose is the first honey beer I have ever smelled that actually SMELLED like sweet honey. After a minute in the glass, some malt notes start to come out as well.

taste is very sweet, cleraly honey involved though sweeter than actual honey itself. there is a taste reminding me of grape fruit juice as well. In many ways this is not a typical beer and resembles a mead.

aftertaste is very sweet and atypical, the beer is quite nice but not one I could drink more than one of at a time, the taste is quite heavy. I dont taste the 9% but I do feel its effects and moderation is advised!

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Midas Touch poured a very light golden color from a 12oz bottle. The head was thin and had a bright white color with a bubbly watery lacing.
The smell of the beer was of sugar (most likely from the muscat grapes(they are very sweet) but possibly honey like it boasts) and alcohol. The hops and carbonation are the first thing that you taste. There is sweet fruity sugar(confirming that it is mostly the grapes giving it the sweetness) in the body of the beer, and a strange but good finish. The finish remained me of an oaked wine or a bourbon. The oak was prominent, slightly spiced, and just a hint of alcohol. The alcohol was noticeable, but the sweetness from the fruit really helped to disguise it. Drinkability/mouthfeel: Drinkablility is above average for this beer, but if you are not a fan of wine in general in might not be up your alley...mouthfeel is very much of a slightly carbonated wine, and does have some bourbon characters. Another interesting brew from dogfish....they always keep me coming back.

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a twelve ounce bottle into a large wine glass; Midas Touch Golden Elixer poured a Golden Orange with little to no head visable. A thin lacing hugged the rim where the surface met the glass.

The nose on this beer is extremly sweet and somewhat fruity. In many ways it is reminiscent of the sweet scent often given off by cheap beers, such as Pabst Blue Ribbon. The taste however is quite different than that. While very sweet and active on the entrance the beer intensifies in complexity and somewhat tart on the finish.

An interesting beer worth the experience but by no means something I'd drink on a regular basis

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Whether or not the legend behind this beer is true, it's definitely one for the ages. It's why I love Dogfish Head stuff so much: recognizably, undoubtedly beer, but also adventurous, unique, always different and usually incredibly tasty.

Pours a finger-thick soapy head which chills out pretty quickly to almost nothing, just a little foam around the sides. Medium carbonation and glowing reddish-gold body. Dots of lace.

Smells of white grapes, raisins, honey, with an almost sherry-like alcoholic richness in the background. I've never smelled a beer quite like this one. Fruity, spicy, fragrant, an interesting combination of ingredients, definitely unique.

Flavors are abundant. Even if you'd never read the label, the white grape is a pronounced and obvious flavor, with walnut, barley, honey and a bit of the 9% ABV making itself known. There's also a slightly spiky spice here, which I suppose is saffron, but I'm not well-versed enough with saffron to actually pick that out without the label's help.

Creamy in the mouth, with a mild bite to the carbonation.

An excellent summer drink with a complex flavor profile that helps hide the higher ABV a little too well. The first time I had this was autumn '05, sitting on a friends' porch while watching a parade of hundreds of runners running a Raleigh road race, glad I was partaking of this fine brew and not doing all that running.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

bottled on 9/21/05-Bottle says "Handcrafted ancient ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron."

A: body has a rich and luxurious deep gold/amber hue. very little head even with a vigorous pour but considering this is sort of an ambiguous beer, with a lot of vinous qualities, Im not really knockin it. body just glows.

S: sweet malt, grapes, vanilla, fruit all over the place, alcohol mixed with a winy aroma, and it pains me to say a touch of cheap grain sweetness you get on a mediocre pils or something

T/M: sugar and grapes ride a mouthfeel wave thats very creamy. velvety fruit coats the mouth. clean grain and a cool quality follow. theres something about this beer that makes me feel as if Ive just been swimming in some pristine and cold stream. finish dries slightly followed by an evolution of ripe green fruits and some candy. honey is obvious, though I cant say I know what saffron tastes like so not sure if Im detecting it or not. finish even has a slight yeasty/alcohol spice to it that balances the sugar nicely. all said and done the mouthfeel finishes a tad weak.

D: this is a very delicate beer and should be enjoyed on its own or paired carefully. very pricey but an excellent treat every now and then.

all in all an awesome brew. paired with a light plate of fruit and cheeses with success.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

This brew poured a clear gold color with a small head. The beer leaves a tiny bit of lace on the glass. Aroma is winey, spicy and I could also pick up some notes of malt on the nose. Taste is very unusual. Grapes, spices, grain and honey were all present in the flavor. The beer was medium bodied in the palate. The finish was fruity, sweet and spicy with a touch of bitterness. At times I felt like I was drinking a beer/wine/mead hybrid. Isn't that the point behind this brew? To sample something that ancient humans may have partaken of? I don't know how close Midas Touch is to the actual product that was inside those unearthed vessels, but it's worth a try just to have something very different. Cheers to Dogfish Head for putting out a very bold product.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel Snifter. No head though a light lace circled the glass with a small portion resting in the center. The lace remained throughout drinking never sticking to the glass, but instead haloing the edge. A clear medium carbonation was even throughout the entire beer. An amber color leaning more towards orange rather than red.
Initially I was disappointed that the beer had no head, but I don't think this style should have a big head and no longer hold that against the beer. This should be taken into consideration by other people who try it.

Smell: The snifter helped accentuate the smell of this beer, which is sweet and complicated. Saffron and grape combine to provide a unique distinct smell that is pleasant and inviting.
I was impressed with the smell, my notes read, "Great". It was very inviting and made me want to try this beer.

Taste: Like it's smell, the taste is complicated. Sweet, saffron, and spice in the background. The spice sticks with you not only after you finish a drink, but for a while. Stick with this beer all night or clean your palate as this will cloud all other drinks afterwards.
My notes read, "pleasant, but inescapable." It is difficult to get rid of the taste of this beer. It is a good tasting beer, but unique. The spice actually becomes better after you get use to it and I think a second is always much better than the first. Again, don't plan on switching beers afterwards because Midas Touch will demand to continue to be tasted. Last point and this is the most important. This beer tastes better warmed rather than cold. Ice cold does not compliment this beer. Open it, smell it, watch it. Let it warm up, give it time to breath, it gets better if you give it time.

Mouthfeel:
Again, interesting and unique. An initial reaction may be dislike because it's sort of strange. However the strangeness has brought me back for more, because the flavors and smells combine to make an interesting complicated platform that can continued to be examined.

Drinkability:
The uniqueness and complexity of this drink gives something beer lovers should try several time before they make up their mind. The background spicyness grows as one drinks this and it contributes to a cap on the number of these one could have in a night. One is ok, two is good, three may be great, but four in a row is likely to many. The carbonation and grapes combine to give this beer a pseudo-wine or champagne like feel. Others have mentioned this beer is good upon occasion, or if one is in the right mood. I think this beer should be approached as if it were a wine or champagne. Any gathering where alcohol is served, but the goal isn't be get trashed is a good time to bring out this beer. There's no way anyone could pound these. They sort of cap themselves, but before you get sick of them, they are really good. Celebrate it's uniqueness at celebrations.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Not sure what to make of this beer; I don't think I've ever had one this sweet. It was a pretty orange color with a small white head and very bubbly. It had a sweet grainy odor, and a very sweet fruity taste. I thought it to be quite carbonated, and thus not very pleasing in the mouth. The sweetness makes it only average for drinkability.

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

This pours a yellow/red straw with a large foamy head. The smell has a honey sweetness to it with a raisin or prune aroma also. The taste is a real treat. It starts out creamy with a real alcohol bite to it. The dark fruit,prune and raisin,flavor is very prevelant with a almost white wine presence make this a sweet beer that is good,but not very drinkable. The m/f is medium with a good malt sweetness that really hides the high alcohol. This is an OK brew,but I don't think I could have more than a couple of these.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in a trade from BRoss242 in the Boxing Day BIF.

The pour is clear amber with a one finger white head that fades down to a halo. This has a appealing aroma when I'm not getting a nose full of alcohol- white wine, honey, and a ton of spice. The taste is off and on in the same way. In one sip, I'm enjoying the honey, candy-sweet malts, and spices; in an another sip, I get an overly alcoholic cooking white wine. In theory the flavors should join forces to create a nice Riesling taste, but that never happens. All in all, Midas Touch a fun beer to try because of it's unique history, plus it's from a brewery that I'd been wanting to try for a while. Thanks BRoss242!

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up at Blanchard's Liquors in Brockton.

The colour was golden but very mirky, which suggests this is unfiltered. It poured a very small head that disappeared soon thereafter.

The aroma was really surprising for me. It was very sweet and welcoming. The description on the bottle suggests it but still it threw me.

The taste is very smooth and sweet, with a definite barley honey influence. After that I could clearly taste fruit and the saffron, again, suggested on the bottle.

This is an interesting beer, and I believe because of the very sweet fruity taste, that this is a very appealing beer for the experimental wine-drinker. For instance, my mother (yes I live with my mother, and she is a very avid wine-drinker) likes to try my beers and she usually never likes any of them alot, but once she tasted this she really enjoyed it.

Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev +3%

I have to admit that when I saw a 3.76 overall score for this beer, I thought it was low. But then, when I rate it myself, and faced with all the categories in the rating system, I give them all either 3.5 or 4.0. I guess my overall score will end up being 3.8, almost exactly in-line with the 3.76 overall. I imagine there are a lot of people who give this beer the same range of scores. Ok, enough with the math.

Don't get me wrong, I like this beer. When you're in the mood for it, it rates much higher than a 3.75. But you're not always in the mood. Well I'm not. It does pack a punch, so you're not going to pick this up as a session beer. And it's pretty sweet - as you might expect given an amber beer @ 9 ABV, so more than 2 is going to be a stretch. But sometimes, just that once in a while, it really hits the spot. What's more, I almost always have this on hand these days. Then again, the same can be said for several Dogfish Head beers. They're good to keep in stock.

In all, this is certainly worth a try. It's a pretty good beer that will wear out its welcome by #2, so stop there. But in that, you can really get some enjoyment with a few to relax with.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a transparent golden amber, I got virtually no head at all and very little active carbonation...appearance of a hard alcohol such as whiskey.. Nose was very fascinating as it excites the palate with unusual aromas of figs, raisins, white wine, as well as some heavy musk laying in the background. Taste is completely original and very strong, sweetness of honey with tart apple and grape followed with a dry finish which includes plenty of alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit flat with very little carbonation which is a shame but this is certainly worth a try just for the experience.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

I am drinking a room temperature 12 oz bottle poured into a Three Philosophers goblet,

Appearance: The ale pours a nice clean goldenrod color. It almost reminds me of a mead (which I guess it is a close cousin to). There are no particles, but nor is there a head or any remnant of one.

Smell: The aroma is unique. I smell honey and raisins primarily, even some green grapes. This smell is not one that you'll find in any other beer.

Taste: The ale is lightly carbonated, giving it a soft taste. Within the taste itself, the crispness of green grapes are apparent, along with the slightly sweet hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: The complex flavors in the ale give it a pleasant mouthfeel. It could use a bit more carbonation though.

Drinkability: The drinkability is limited by a 9% abv price tag. But the backstory on this ale (check out dogfish.com) makes it worth a try.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a limited availability beer and is definitely worth a try!

The color is a clear burnt amber. It was served in a bell-shaped glass. (Think Belgian style)

The scent is unusual for a beer, almost like a wine. The taste is very rich with a warm aftertaste. It reminds me of a cross between a wine/cider more than just a beer. The tast is very complex: according to the label, this "handcrafted ancient ale" has "barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron." The honey, grapes, and saffron are all very distinguishable. If you roll the beer gently around your tongue, you will experience a beer unlike any other in complexity and originality.

An excellent quality beer!

Wanted to try this ever since seeing it on the history channel special about brewing. Finally found it at Half Time in Poughkeepsie.

Pours a very golden color with almost no head. Very appropriate color for the name. I like that.

Smells of alcohol and honey.

Tastes are quite interesting. They seem to vary from sip to sip. Honey, grapes, alc. saffron? Definitely an interesting beer, and the concept is a good one. However- that being said this is beer made me appreciate all the progress brewers have made since the days of King Midas. Not something I'd seek out again but it's something completely different from anything else I've ever had and for that reason alone I believe it to be worth trying.

2.18/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured into pint glass.
This is a unique beer which saves it from getting bellow the 2's. A nice deep gold color, but absolutely no head.
Taste was stale honey, some malt, no hops and a hint of caramel.
It was a thicker feel to it than it looked. Coating and an aftertaste of metal and honey.
Disappointed.

3.57/5  rDev -4%

I picked this up at Downtown Wine & Spirits because my dad had heard about it somewhere. The beer came in a standard 12 oz. brown bottle. The purple label has a fingerprint on the logo, and says "Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes & saffron". I let the beer warm to approximately 50°F, and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Midas Touch pours a crystal clear, deep golden-orange. It's fizzy, with large soda like bubbles. Topped by a white half-inch head, that quickly diminishes to a ring.

Smell: The beer smells earthy, malty and a little buttery. Upon swirling I get wine-like grape aromas.

Taste: The taste is complex. Grainy flavors and honey sweetness are evident immediately. Malts take over in the center and are overtaken by tartness and spicyness in the finish. The aftertaste is spicy with alcoholic warmth. A modest bitterness appears mostly in the finish. It's almost like there's a mead to beer to wine transition.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and medium bodied with light carbonation. Leaves a buttery feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is 9.0% abv, which is evident in the taste. The flavors are also very strong, making this a bad session brew.

Overall: This is an interesting beer, definitely very wine like. It's a neat idea for a beer, and the execution isn't bad. It's almost a little too strong.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery