Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,625 | Ratings: 4,710
3.15/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Strange brew this one. Kind of smells like dirty socks as it warms up. Pours a hazy orange yellow color with very little head. Very fine carbonation makes it way up from the bottom of the glass. Taste is hard to describe, initial thoughts were that it was like a combination of beer and white grape juice. In fact, that thought still persists so that's how I'll describe it. I could not drink more than one of these in a sitting. Pretty disappointing for the price really.

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

This is a very interesting beer, to say the least. Being a history geek, I just had to try this beer as the concept is very intriguing to me. I'm glad I was able to try it, even though I didn't much care for it. I can't help but wonder how close it is to the original.

The beer looks like a thinned out honey (basically a mead), but with a slight amber hue. Had to pour from a distance to get any head, and the carbonation is nonexistent, subsequently depriving the head of its staying power. It does leave a very thin and spotty lacing, but nothing impressive.

The smell is very grainy with plenty of honey and spices. Has a bit of a grapey white wine aroma. I've never had saffron on its own before, but there is an odd and very vaguely familiar smell to this beer that I am guessing is it. The smell is actually pretty good, if not a bit weird.

The taste is decent as well. Grain, spices, and honey up front with grape and alcohol on the swallow. The finish is a bit dry with some lasting spices and a remnant of the alcohol.

Like I said, I am thrilled to be able to try this ancient reproduction, but it really isn't anything too drinkable, much less good. I didn't expect to like it, but I wanted to try it anyway due to the backstory. Not recommended for anybody but history buffs.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 ouncer, just like the picture in the BA Database. Nice presentation, quality thick purple & light brown colored parchment for the neck & main labels, all sealed with a color coordinated DFH crown cap. Described as ‘Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron”. Weighs in at 9% Alc. By Vol.

Appearance: Light orange copper body, which looks clear and hazy at the same time, all this is topped off with a thick cream colored bubbly and effervescent but broken head. Big halo head presence, smattered covering and minimal lacing, but this does have a great level of conditioning though.

Nose: Has a soft start but it soon kicks ass with some sharp spicy edges. This is one of those brews that where the Volatile Fermented Compounds (VFC’s as opposed to VOC’s) reigns terror in your nostrils as you drink it. Deep in the nose and the odors are soon accompanied by a feeling of inhaling petrol fumes. Alcohol and high end acidic white grape skins plunder the nasal passages. Light sniffs are a little more forgiving, soft honey, cereal, white wine, mead and industrial solvents…..did I just burn out my Septum!? A tad harsh.

Taste: Soft then hard; Candy sugars and lots of honey soaked malts are soon cut through by a vicious hard alcoholic and acidic cheap white wine feel. The honey returns to dissolve the harshness of the middle to finish once again with a soft ending. Saffron…..great name for a child, and it’s bloody awesome in Curries but I couldn’t find any in this brew, I guess it’s too just expensive to drop in by the bag huh!!? A beery version of "Sweet and Sour"...but it works.

Mouthfeel: Is there one? I already lost my Septum and right now I think my cheeks are dissolving. The low conditioning lends a smooth feel but it fails to balance the harshness that I suspect comes from the Muscat grapes.

Drinkability: Did I get a full 12 ounce!?!? It’s all gone!!! WTF!?

Overall: Different for sure. Rather weird in fact, yet strangely enticing. The best part about sinking this one….the ADB’s….the After Drink Burps; soft honey eschewed into a spicy white grape back of the throat tingle followed by a burning nose sensation……tasty stuff. Why did this taste so familiar?!….I cannot quite put my finger on it now but it reminded me of at least one other beer that I have had, I strongly suspect it was of US origin, but it could have been Belgian, Aaarrggghhh, it’s getting too late to think that hard, but it will come to me...worth trying.

Music: Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from the bottle into a 20 ounce goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a magnificent gold color very clear. The head was big and fluffy gold tinged white. The head was short lived.

Smell: The beer smells of honey and ginger and other spices. There is a very grape prescence.

Taste: The beer leads with honey goodness. Then the spices kick in. I think I can taste ginger. A few other taste kicking around but I cannot pin them down.

Mouthfeel: This is light to meduim bodied. The feel is more of drinking wine or mead. Totally unlike any other beer I have had.

Drinkability: This is a very tasty drinkable concoction. This will probably be able to replace wine with a meal. Hell if you have wine snobs over break this one out. This beer will puzzle the hell out of them. I bought two more packs for cellaring purposes.

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle received as part of the BIF 24 shipment from ChadBrew. Thanks!

Poured a "sparkly" honey-golden color. Head was really strange in that is popped and fizzed....yet nearly instantaneously disappeared. Quite strange. Lots of sweetness in the nose, maybe some earthy notes, and spiced grapes. Flavor pulls a lot of the honey flavor out. Malt backbone and grape wine flavors. Sticky sweet aftertaste. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel and good drinkability. A different beer.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Golden honey color with a small head, which disappears quickly, leaving literally no head at all. Strange.

This is a sweet-smelling beer. No hops detectable in the nose, just malt.

The taste is very interesting. Sweet, definitely. The honey used in the making of the beer is detectable. Low carbonation. I dont know what to compare this beer to. It doesnt taste like anything else I've ever had.

The Midas Touch Golden Elixir might very well be a great crossover beer for introducing your friends to craft beers. It is smooth, very drinkable, and light. Perfect for summer or fall days.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Startlingly brilliant amber brew with light lacing and tiny, tongue nibbling bubbles retains its cool orange haze for the duration. Head only exists on the periphery of the glass.

Smells of sweet citrus perfume and prickly ash. Cassis with a bit of ginger and allspice also enter into play making way for saffron, sour grape skin, and alcohol esters which become more predominant as the brew warms.

Alcohol is very noticeable in the taste and becomes more apparent as the temperature increases as I mentioned previously. Still, this is a surprisingly easy to drink beer. It would definitely make it on to my regular list if it weren’t so prohibitively expensive. To me, a beer of this price ought to carry a complexity to match, which is one area where this brew is lacking. Still, I do find it to have some interesting mead-like vinous and honey notes that I enjoy very much. The saffron and other spices make for a rather pleasurable drink as well.

Overall this is a very sweet little ditty but it just doesn’t make the grade when price is factored into the equation.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a very interesting color, a light red/vibrant honey-orange color with a poppy, little head that vanishes quite quickly. No lacing. But I'm not disappointed with any of these shortcomings because this is not your typical "brew".

This tastes like it could be what you get when you mash up a tripel, a pinot grigio and semi-dry mead all in the same bucket. Add in a little funk with some saffron and life changes.

The smells are herbal and sweet, along with a soft phenolic tinge that is very romantic smelling concoction. The flavor traslates into a sugary, honey laced beverage, that has herb-butter layers. The finish, especially as the ale warms, lends to a black peppery snap. "Old world" flavors. Soothing and soul satisfying.

A perfect drink for before dinner or with dinner. Poultry seems like it would fair well, and anything with fresh herbs would bring out the best in this sipper.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pure genius from Dogfish Head, Midas Touch is liquid gold. Although the color is more on the orange side, it is crystal clear with golden hues. There is little head. The aroma is that of young honey. The taste is also honey, with fresh green fruit, fig perhaps. As it warmed I could taste the muscat grapes and as it warmed even more, the saffron came through. Flavor, aroma, and appearance all combine to form a very subtle but tempting brew. This is one of my favorites!

I had this with Thanksgiving Dinner, not for complementing flavors, but for a delectible drink on a special occassion. Nevertheless the Midas Touch held its own against spice rubbed turkey, rosemary flavored stuffing, mashed potatos, aromatic sweet potatos, tumeric flavored corn, and pear salad. In fact the unintened Indian-type flavors in the meal really complemented the beer as it warmed up. The only thing that drowned out the flavor of the beer was the cranberry relish.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'd been eyeing this one for a while. Noticed a straggler at Ryan and Casey, next thing you know I'm writing a review on it. One of the more interesting stories behind such a beer, imagine 4000 years ago.

A. Decent. No head, no lacing. Bright cherry-yellow hues. Slight bubbly carbonation...King Midas would not approve.

S&T. Brewed with spices and honey. Can't say I'm in total agreement with either of those, but it is a very sweat beer.

M&D At 9% this beer is highly drinkable. First experience with this type, so I have nothing to gauge it against. Worth a try.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear golden color with a white had that fades. Looks like an imperial pilsner or a tripel.

Smell is unusual and intoxicating. Smells of sweet malt and honey inds of fruity and spicy aromas woven in. I can't say I've ever quite smelled a brew like this one.

Taste of sweet malt and honey smacks upfront followed by a burst of fruit and spices. Finishes as it started, sweet and malty. Perhaps a little too sweet.

Body is rich and full.

I could definitely enjoy several of these, with something on the dry side in between. The sweetness makes it prohibitive to drink more than one in a row.

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%

purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Clear, light, weak, watery looking copper, brown yellow coloring. Pathetic head and lacing. Not impressed.

Smell = Strong flavorful scent with high alcohol. I detect lots of fruit and a bit of smoke but the alcohol is bit overwhelming.

Taste = Interesting experiimental beer. I love the sweet, butterscotch aftertaste and it's definitely my favorite part of the beer. There's a lot of sugar here and it would make a very good dessert beer. The initial taste is a blast of alcohol; you can definitely taste the 9%. It's hard to taste a ton of flavor upfront because of the strong alcohol. It's blended well with a pleasant honey taste full of spices and again the aftertaste is delicious. This is a sipping brew though so you should drink it very slowly.

Overall = I'm glad I tried it and it's a very interesting, unique beer from Dogfish. I most lilkely won't buy it again though. It's a little too potent and sweet for me and in its place, I'd rather drink a nice dessert wine or port.

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a dark honey color that is slightly murky with a smooth off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells doughy with a bit of teriyaki? There’s also a bit of citrus and pear but I still get a bit of teriyaki, but not in a bad way. Much maltier than I expected in flavor with noticable alcohol. There’s a plumb flavor that fits well with the maltiness. This beer finishes very well with an almost electric lingering sourness and spice that dances on the tongue. This flavor leaves the mouth with almost chocolate taste to it. Wonderfully complex and dynamic. Very thick mouth feel that is deceptively carbonated. I’m thinking this would go well with a smoked gouda. I don’t know If I’d have two of these in a night, but it’s a very well done brew.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

I am a personal fan of Dogfish Head, so I was excited to try something to unique from a brewery I already love.
The beer poured a dark orange and was somewhat translucent, not exactly unfiltered but not totally clear either. It had no head and left almost no lacing whatsoever.
It had the aroma of some citrus, somewhat malty hints and sweet fruits. The taste, however, immediately hit me with spices, and a lot of alcohol taste. It wasn't overpowering but definitely there. It started bitter and ended up pleasantly sweet; can truly say it was a taste I had never encountered. It was smooth and refreshing, definiely a beer to be served somewhat chilled. I have to respect the creativity Dogfish Head has and the chances they take in brewing. it often leads to exciting things, this being one of them.

1.6/5  rDev -57%

No head on the pour. The color is a amber with red highlights. No gold....where's Midas?
Heavy alcohol, extreme spice, honey, grapes and pepper. Raunchy, but I'll try it anyway.
Oof - this is where my "inexperiance" as an advocate comes in. I have a feeling I know what I'm tasting but I can't begin to describe the pain my taste buds are in. An immediate peppery sting inflames the mouth and the grapes, saffron and alcohol kill them off. WTF is Saffron? lol
I dumped this sucker. Sorry DFH.

Oh yeah, and I paid $18 for four of these?! Kill me.

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours amber red, I definitely see the saffron influence here. Head make the hssss of soda and quickly disappears to nothing. Very disappointing.

Smell is a complexity of light hops mead and a very slight hint of grape character. Very interesting and complex.

Flavor is also quite complex. Spicy and mead sweet. Not alot of grape character here, though this beer is very tasty.

Slick mouth, which I associate with a nice mead.

Nice and flavorful and very drinkable. A good beer, but a bit pricey at $3/bottle.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Smells of honey and something else I can't quite place (perhaps saffron, but I dont think my nasal passages are quite so refined to detect that). Tastes so sweet. The honey flavors are extremely prevalent.

Quite a spicy aftertaste, with the resonance of honey and fruitiness. All in all, it tastes good, but for some reason I can't drink it that quickly, and I have no desire for any more once I am done.

An interesting brew, but not sure I would drink it again. I think the honey was a bit overpowering. But definitely glad I tried it once.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Wow this is an interesting and unique brew! Lots of fruity spicy flavors, and I like Saffron. I also get a kick out of the fact that it's almost as expensive as pot!

Sparkling pale gold with minimal champagne-like head, very inactive. Smells spicy and fruity with a slight tang and bread notes.

Light fruity malts with definite fruit flavors and and spices. I knw what saffron tastes like so I can pick that flavor out, and it's good! Honey, saffron and the muscat grapes are distinct but light. Some candy sweetness and vinous-champagne qualities.

Slick but not overly thick & heavy, the carbonation is next to non-existant. A very tasty sipper.

4.49/5  rDev +20.7%

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a low, white, short-lived head. The color of the beer is a light, orange heavy amber.

smell: This beer still confounds my senses, even after sampling it a few times. The honey and barley malt present is obvious. Not so obvious is the essence of the white grapes that become more noticeable as the liquid warms. I feel like I can sense some light hop spice, but may be mistaken. Sweet, complex, and thoroughly interesting.

mouthfeel: Between medium in high in carbonation, and the body is a slick, lighter medium.

taste: The honey sweetness and slickness is the first thing I notice, and it is wonderful. Then some fruity tones from the malt make themselves known. I am really having a hard time commenting on this brew, as it is so unique and complex. Finish is slightly sweet and a little less slightly astringent.

drinkability: Definately not a session beer; not due to the alcohol, but to the sweetness and complexity. My taste buds were worn out after this one. Still, it is drinkable in the sense that it is very good.

2.54/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours brilliantly clear, copper colored, and with a white head that does not last long and leaves no lace.

Aroma strikes me as almost all honey, lots of alcohol, and a little spice hiding in there somewhere, but it's hard to discern what spices. Although they list saffron on the label, I have no idea what flavor saffron is supposed to impart since I have only ever used it sparingly for color. Perhaps that's where the copper color comes from, because based on the flavor and aroma, malt is not contributing much.

The flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma all scream "too young mead" to me. It's hot, harsh, and not something I care to drink again. Perhaps cellared for a year or two it would be wonderful. If I ever buy another bottle, it will be with that in mind.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

The beer after its disinterment from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a deep copper color with a modest off white head and the lace a thin veil to conceal the glass. Nose has the aroma of honey, quite sweet with a slight hint of fusel alcohol also a bit grassy, start is sweet with a bountiful grain presence, and the top is moderate in feel. Finish has a determined acidity, the hops pleasantly spicy and the aftertaste dry, alcohol warming noticed, a quite nice beer, as I need a big beer today.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The beer starts foaming up right when the cap is popped. Hazy dark orange.brown color, head is very nice looking with good retention, and a sticky appearance.

Smell: Sweet like honey (mead) and floral, but not in the same way a nose full of hop[s would be.

Taste: Sweet, oh how sweet, honey and grapes give it this flavor. There is also a spiced flavor in the aftertaste, where is sits fairly well with a light graininess.

Mouthfeell: Not highly carbonated, but I suspect that is what this beer was going for.

Drinkabiilty: I would say this is more of a metheglin, with it's strong honey flavors and spiciness. It is a pretty good example of that, but this kind of defies being labelled.

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

Since I rated this “Handcrafted Ancient Ale” much lower than most others, I guess I must be missing something. So, on to the second evaluation:

Head from a vigorous pour is thick, creamy and whitish, and fades quickly. From a normal pour, there is practically no head at all. Color is a yellow golden-orange, no doubt from the saffron. If anything, the nose is unpleasant, reminiscent of a bad macro. There’s something else there, though, an underlying sweetness akin to honey with alcohol, presenting as a mead would. Still, it’s almost musty-smelling.

I really focused on the flavor this time around. It’s not quite so meadish, but the alcohol and honey are definitely there. It’s sweet but not incredibly so. There’s a spiciness I can’t place. That alcohol is definitely there and not as well-integrated as some I’ve tried. (Bornem Triple and Gulden Draak come to mind.) I don’t get the saffron/grapes/etc. flavors some are seeing. Just honey, sweet, and alcohol.Mouth is flat with an alcohol and yeast finish, much like a mead. There’s a metallic/yeast after that is not terribly pleasant.

Drinkability is not that great. First, it’s powerfully flavored and tends to overwhelm the taste buds. Second, it’s got twice the ABV of your garden-variety brew, so a couple go a long way.

Overall: Really, I call this a mead-style brew. They claim to use honey and Muscat grapes, so I guess that’s not surprising. However, I would enjoy a good honey mead more than this barley beer/mead concoction. Also, the price that I paid ($2.75 per bottle) is ridiculous. I think what kills it is the unmasked alcohol. It really detracts from what otherwise would be an intriguing style of beer. This is definitely an interesting and probably unique style of beer. I would recommend trying it once, but I won’t be trying it again.

Hey, I rated it even lower this time around. Ain't that a hoot.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

A unique brew from Dogfish Head. Poured out to a deep, dark gold color with a hint of amber in it. Head was rather short lived, but a very thin layer of foam remained after a minute. No lacing. Medium level of carbonation. Aroma was similar to a Monster Energy Drink; scents of herbs, honey, earth and sweet spice were all present, with only a touch of malt toward the middle. Taste was good, but also different; flavors of buttery fruit, floral notes, and grain were all present and well received; some minor malt and earthy characters were also present. Mouthfeel was good, with a thicker syrup like character present, giving the beer a touch of viscosity. Decent drinkability; this beer is probably not one you'd have more than one of in a sitting, but likely one you'd want to revisit. Recommended.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. An interesting concept beer, let's see if it's more than just a gimmick.

Pours a golden amber, slightly cloudy, with a finger of white creamy foam in my chalice fit for a king. Smell is spicy/herbal up front, like baked goods. Taste starts with the spicy cinnamon, nutmeg and subtle clove, very similar to their Punkin' Ale, then belgian pale fruit, ending in a unique saffron tickle. Mouthfeel is crisp and syrupy, but refreshing. An interesting mix of Punkin' Ale spiciness with some unique belgian like notes. I could drink a few but that's about it. More than just a quirky concept, but not transcendent.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery