Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,635 | Ratings: 4,755
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Twelve ounce bottle with no dating system

Pours honey gold with virtually no foam and decent clarity. Small streamers vent from the bottom of the chalice with medium speed. Nose shows a honey dominance with alcohol esters and a hint of apple cider.

Entry is sweet with honey and midtaste features just a touch of saffron. The finish lingers with honey far after the blast of alcohol is felt slowly working its way down the throat.

This is a hybrid beer / mead that is truly an undertaking as only DFH could do...and while it is very good, it leaves one happy to be alive during the current state of beer!

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pours, well, a strong urine yellow with a small, fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Somewhat hazy with some particles floating.

Smell: Very sweet and grainy.

Taste: When I first tasted this beer my tastebuds were almost overwhelmed by its complexity and unique flavors. Very honey sweet up front with some mellow fruit flavors (grapes, apricots) coming in behind it. Malty and sweet grain flavors throughout, but mostly in the background.

Mouthfeel: Really nice and smooth and carbonated nicely, but not too much. Loses a point or so because it's kinda syrupy.

Drinkability: A little too sweet and syrupy for my taste, this one's gonna take awhile to finish.

This one is definitely worth trying if you are into experimenting with unique styles. I probably wont buy this again, but it was worth my time and money.

4.14/5  rDev +11%

01/04/06- Recieved via trade with Connecticutpoet.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a dating strip on the side of the label.
Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Amber-orange in color. Lightly clouded. Specks and bits of yeast float around. 3/4 inch head with average lacing.

Smell- Ultra sweet malted scent with various spices and sugary hops. Vinous in scent at times as well.

Taste- Sweet and sour at the same time. First there is a tart saison-like taste...tangy. Then the sugary sweetness forms into place. Lemon rind, tangerine, apricots make the fruit flavors. White pepper and a few other spices with maybe a dash of honey as well.

Mouthfeel- Plays with the tongue. Uses all of the sensory spots. Dry, yet at the same time makes you salivate. Lightly creamy with a medium to lower carbonation level.

Drinkability- If ever the term sweet and sour would be used for a beer, this would be it. Very interesting style that leaves you wanting another. Tastes like it could be a great poolside beer, or at the same time, be a nice beer by the fire.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

I love the history behind this brew; lovely when different fields of science come together.
This beer tastes more like a South African honey wine mixed with some wheat/grains than a beer, but what a unique taste.
This beer appears a bit cloudy with a soft golden color and just a bit of cream colored head that dissipates quickly. Aromas of honey, grains, bread, and rice come to mind; very unique. The taste is a blend of honey derived sweetness with starch derived bitterness that just rolls over the tongue and leaves behing some nice spice flavors. A bit too dry in the finish for it's texture and components, especially for the alcohol content. The complexity of the flavors was just too much for me to crave more than one of these.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: This beer pours a golden orange, coopery color with a small - one pinky finger head. Clear. Highly carbonated. No Lacing.

Smell: Very hidden subtle aroma. Sweet malts, honey and fruits, like grapes, show up more and more as the beer warms.

Taste: Very straight foreword. For a 'spiced beer' it is NOT very spicy (which I am not complaining about because I don't like overkill but it was surprising). Simply sweet and malty. Hints of spices but overall very gentle to the palate.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Thick and a bit sticky up front with a dry finish. Until it finishes warming to room temperature, then it is all sweet and smooth. ABV is completely hidden.

Drinkability: Truth is, I started drinking this beer, had about 2/3rds of it and set it aside. When I cam back to it, completely warmed to room temp, it was better than when I left it. IMO. I think the drinkability cold was a 3.5 and warm was a 4.5 so I suggest letting this one warm up.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a very nice opaque deep golden with a slight white ring on top of it. Smell is very sweet..honeyish...I like the effect.

The taste starts off with the honey from the smell and then rolls into a very nice tingly grape effect. Malts are present in abundance, and absolutely thrash the hops, which is to my liking. The hops still offer some slight back of the tongue tingles in the right spots though and add to a dry, yet tingly finish. I really like this stuff a lot.

The mouth on this is quite good, it has only light hop action, but it is very sticky and finds its way onto each taste bud. The drinkability is definitely top notch as well, very easy to drink because the sweet malty aspect makes it easy to quaff.

I hadn't had a lot of luck finding Dogfish beers that I would rebuy to this point, but Midas Touch is a very tasty offering and I highly recommend it to people who love sweeter beers with the malts dominating the hops.

2.5/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this brew chilled, poured out in a Leffe goblet that I received in a gift set.

Color was a light to medium amber hue, with a very thin and faint head that rapidly dissipated. Carbonation also appeared light.

The smell was very sweet, reminiscent of a very fruity, low quality wine. White grape dominates and is overpowering, followed by a faint trace of honey.

The mouthfeel was slightly slick, leaving my mouth wet, but with a bitter aftertaste and a sticky feel on the back of the throat. ABV is well-hidden behind a very sweet taste of grapes. The addition of honey is particularly strong once the beer is swallowed, leaving a disgustingly bitter aftertaste that reminds me of the feeling of ingesting cough syrup.

Unfortunately, I felt Midas Touch a bit hard to finish on two seperate occassions. The sweet taste is initially pleasant, very drinkable considering the ABV, but unfortunately the aftertaste is a bit too much for me to continue swallowing.

I love Dogfish Head's brews, but I'm going to have to pass on this one the next time I'm at my local store.

2.05/5  rDev -45%

This one is golden-amber in color and has a small off-white head.
The aroma is sweet with honey and malt.
Its flavor is very sweet as well. The honey is a bit too strong for my likings. The grapes also register on the taste buds near the finish along with a slight alcohol presence.
Mouth feel is thick and syrupy with high carbonation levels.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz. bottle that a packed date on the side, but nothing was notched. I found in the single section of a local beer store. I thought it was something that I had to try for myself. I've never had a beer where the recipe was a couple thousand years old and found in a tomb.

Appearance: Poured a golden color with a thin head of white foam that dissipated as soon as the beer settled. The foam left no rings or lace, but there where alot of carbonation bubblels all through out the mug.

Smell: It wasn't as potent as I thought. Up front there was plenty of sweet honey and grapes and in the background, very little malt.

Taste: Very good! Sweet all the way, much like the smell. Lots of sweet honey and grapes, some malt and hops, and at the end lots of different spices. I don't know if the different spices was just the saffron itself because I've never tasted saffron before. Very different.

Mouthfeel: Again very sweet even in the mouthfeel. I did notice some alcohol in there as well, but I really couldn't feel that 9% ABV.

Drinkability: Overall a nice sweet beer that was very different. I've never tasted anything like this before. An expensive brew that ever beer drinker should try for themselves. This also made a nice representation of my first Dogfish Head brew.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance is golden-amber. White foamy head is produced during the pour, but falls off quickly with no lacing. The carbonation is composed of a milllion tiny, tiny bubbles that really produces a unique looking head.

Nose is sweet honey with malt. Also a mustiness is present that I guess could be from the grapes.

Flavor is sweet honey, much like a mead, with a distinct maltiness. The white grapes leave their mark here too. Kind of a meady malted grape combo. It's good, reminds me of some sweeter German wines that I have had. An Auslese, maybe.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy and very much like a sweet white wine.

Drinkability is on a par with mead. I enjoy one when I go the the Renaissance Fair every year, but don't miss it in between. It's sweetness limits it to a single serving, in my book. But it is very enjoyable, if I were more of a wine person, I might enjoy it even more.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Strange brew this one. Kind of smells like dirty socks as it warms up. Pours a hazy orange yellow color with very little head. Very fine carbonation makes it way up from the bottom of the glass. Taste is hard to describe, initial thoughts were that it was like a combination of beer and white grape juice. In fact, that thought still persists so that's how I'll describe it. I could not drink more than one of these in a sitting. Pretty disappointing for the price really.

3.22/5  rDev -13.7%

This is a very interesting beer, to say the least. Being a history geek, I just had to try this beer as the concept is very intriguing to me. I'm glad I was able to try it, even though I didn't much care for it. I can't help but wonder how close it is to the original.

The beer looks like a thinned out honey (basically a mead), but with a slight amber hue. Had to pour from a distance to get any head, and the carbonation is nonexistent, subsequently depriving the head of its staying power. It does leave a very thin and spotty lacing, but nothing impressive.

The smell is very grainy with plenty of honey and spices. Has a bit of a grapey white wine aroma. I've never had saffron on its own before, but there is an odd and very vaguely familiar smell to this beer that I am guessing is it. The smell is actually pretty good, if not a bit weird.

The taste is decent as well. Grain, spices, and honey up front with grape and alcohol on the swallow. The finish is a bit dry with some lasting spices and a remnant of the alcohol.

Like I said, I am thrilled to be able to try this ancient reproduction, but it really isn't anything too drinkable, much less good. I didn't expect to like it, but I wanted to try it anyway due to the backstory. Not recommended for anybody but history buffs.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 ouncer, just like the picture in the BA Database. Nice presentation, quality thick purple & light brown colored parchment for the neck & main labels, all sealed with a color coordinated DFH crown cap. Described as ‘Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron”. Weighs in at 9% Alc. By Vol.

Appearance: Light orange copper body, which looks clear and hazy at the same time, all this is topped off with a thick cream colored bubbly and effervescent but broken head. Big halo head presence, smattered covering and minimal lacing, but this does have a great level of conditioning though.

Nose: Has a soft start but it soon kicks ass with some sharp spicy edges. This is one of those brews that where the Volatile Fermented Compounds (VFC’s as opposed to VOC’s) reigns terror in your nostrils as you drink it. Deep in the nose and the odors are soon accompanied by a feeling of inhaling petrol fumes. Alcohol and high end acidic white grape skins plunder the nasal passages. Light sniffs are a little more forgiving, soft honey, cereal, white wine, mead and industrial solvents…..did I just burn out my Septum!? A tad harsh.

Taste: Soft then hard; Candy sugars and lots of honey soaked malts are soon cut through by a vicious hard alcoholic and acidic cheap white wine feel. The honey returns to dissolve the harshness of the middle to finish once again with a soft ending. Saffron…..great name for a child, and it’s bloody awesome in Curries but I couldn’t find any in this brew, I guess it’s too just expensive to drop in by the bag huh!!? A beery version of "Sweet and Sour"...but it works.

Mouthfeel: Is there one? I already lost my Septum and right now I think my cheeks are dissolving. The low conditioning lends a smooth feel but it fails to balance the harshness that I suspect comes from the Muscat grapes.

Drinkability: Did I get a full 12 ounce!?!? It’s all gone!!! WTF!?

Overall: Different for sure. Rather weird in fact, yet strangely enticing. The best part about sinking this one….the ADB’s….the After Drink Burps; soft honey eschewed into a spicy white grape back of the throat tingle followed by a burning nose sensation……tasty stuff. Why did this taste so familiar?!….I cannot quite put my finger on it now but it reminded me of at least one other beer that I have had, I strongly suspect it was of US origin, but it could have been Belgian, Aaarrggghhh, it’s getting too late to think that hard, but it will come to me...worth trying.

Music: Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from the bottle into a 20 ounce goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a magnificent gold color very clear. The head was big and fluffy gold tinged white. The head was short lived.

Smell: The beer smells of honey and ginger and other spices. There is a very grape prescence.

Taste: The beer leads with honey goodness. Then the spices kick in. I think I can taste ginger. A few other taste kicking around but I cannot pin them down.

Mouthfeel: This is light to meduim bodied. The feel is more of drinking wine or mead. Totally unlike any other beer I have had.

Drinkability: This is a very tasty drinkable concoction. This will probably be able to replace wine with a meal. Hell if you have wine snobs over break this one out. This beer will puzzle the hell out of them. I bought two more packs for cellaring purposes.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle received as part of the BIF 24 shipment from ChadBrew. Thanks!

Poured a "sparkly" honey-golden color. Head was really strange in that is popped and fizzed....yet nearly instantaneously disappeared. Quite strange. Lots of sweetness in the nose, maybe some earthy notes, and spiced grapes. Flavor pulls a lot of the honey flavor out. Malt backbone and grape wine flavors. Sticky sweet aftertaste. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel and good drinkability. A different beer.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Golden honey color with a small head, which disappears quickly, leaving literally no head at all. Strange.

This is a sweet-smelling beer. No hops detectable in the nose, just malt.

The taste is very interesting. Sweet, definitely. The honey used in the making of the beer is detectable. Low carbonation. I dont know what to compare this beer to. It doesnt taste like anything else I've ever had.

The Midas Touch Golden Elixir might very well be a great crossover beer for introducing your friends to craft beers. It is smooth, very drinkable, and light. Perfect for summer or fall days.

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Startlingly brilliant amber brew with light lacing and tiny, tongue nibbling bubbles retains its cool orange haze for the duration. Head only exists on the periphery of the glass.

Smells of sweet citrus perfume and prickly ash. Cassis with a bit of ginger and allspice also enter into play making way for saffron, sour grape skin, and alcohol esters which become more predominant as the brew warms.

Alcohol is very noticeable in the taste and becomes more apparent as the temperature increases as I mentioned previously. Still, this is a surprisingly easy to drink beer. It would definitely make it on to my regular list if it weren’t so prohibitively expensive. To me, a beer of this price ought to carry a complexity to match, which is one area where this brew is lacking. Still, I do find it to have some interesting mead-like vinous and honey notes that I enjoy very much. The saffron and other spices make for a rather pleasurable drink as well.

Overall this is a very sweet little ditty but it just doesn’t make the grade when price is factored into the equation.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a very interesting color, a light red/vibrant honey-orange color with a poppy, little head that vanishes quite quickly. No lacing. But I'm not disappointed with any of these shortcomings because this is not your typical "brew".

This tastes like it could be what you get when you mash up a tripel, a pinot grigio and semi-dry mead all in the same bucket. Add in a little funk with some saffron and life changes.

The smells are herbal and sweet, along with a soft phenolic tinge that is very romantic smelling concoction. The flavor traslates into a sugary, honey laced beverage, that has herb-butter layers. The finish, especially as the ale warms, lends to a black peppery snap. "Old world" flavors. Soothing and soul satisfying.

A perfect drink for before dinner or with dinner. Poultry seems like it would fair well, and anything with fresh herbs would bring out the best in this sipper.

4.55/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pure genius from Dogfish Head, Midas Touch is liquid gold. Although the color is more on the orange side, it is crystal clear with golden hues. There is little head. The aroma is that of young honey. The taste is also honey, with fresh green fruit, fig perhaps. As it warmed I could taste the muscat grapes and as it warmed even more, the saffron came through. Flavor, aroma, and appearance all combine to form a very subtle but tempting brew. This is one of my favorites!

I had this with Thanksgiving Dinner, not for complementing flavors, but for a delectible drink on a special occassion. Nevertheless the Midas Touch held its own against spice rubbed turkey, rosemary flavored stuffing, mashed potatos, aromatic sweet potatos, tumeric flavored corn, and pear salad. In fact the unintened Indian-type flavors in the meal really complemented the beer as it warmed up. The only thing that drowned out the flavor of the beer was the cranberry relish.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'd been eyeing this one for a while. Noticed a straggler at Ryan and Casey, next thing you know I'm writing a review on it. One of the more interesting stories behind such a beer, imagine 4000 years ago.

A. Decent. No head, no lacing. Bright cherry-yellow hues. Slight bubbly carbonation...King Midas would not approve.

S&T. Brewed with spices and honey. Can't say I'm in total agreement with either of those, but it is a very sweat beer.

M&D At 9% this beer is highly drinkable. First experience with this type, so I have nothing to gauge it against. Worth a try.

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear golden color with a white had that fades. Looks like an imperial pilsner or a tripel.

Smell is unusual and intoxicating. Smells of sweet malt and honey inds of fruity and spicy aromas woven in. I can't say I've ever quite smelled a brew like this one.

Taste of sweet malt and honey smacks upfront followed by a burst of fruit and spices. Finishes as it started, sweet and malty. Perhaps a little too sweet.

Body is rich and full.

I could definitely enjoy several of these, with something on the dry side in between. The sweetness makes it prohibitive to drink more than one in a row.

3.51/5  rDev -5.9%

purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Clear, light, weak, watery looking copper, brown yellow coloring. Pathetic head and lacing. Not impressed.

Smell = Strong flavorful scent with high alcohol. I detect lots of fruit and a bit of smoke but the alcohol is bit overwhelming.

Taste = Interesting experiimental beer. I love the sweet, butterscotch aftertaste and it's definitely my favorite part of the beer. There's a lot of sugar here and it would make a very good dessert beer. The initial taste is a blast of alcohol; you can definitely taste the 9%. It's hard to taste a ton of flavor upfront because of the strong alcohol. It's blended well with a pleasant honey taste full of spices and again the aftertaste is delicious. This is a sipping brew though so you should drink it very slowly.

Overall = I'm glad I tried it and it's a very interesting, unique beer from Dogfish. I most lilkely won't buy it again though. It's a little too potent and sweet for me and in its place, I'd rather drink a nice dessert wine or port.

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a dark honey color that is slightly murky with a smooth off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells doughy with a bit of teriyaki? There’s also a bit of citrus and pear but I still get a bit of teriyaki, but not in a bad way. Much maltier than I expected in flavor with noticable alcohol. There’s a plumb flavor that fits well with the maltiness. This beer finishes very well with an almost electric lingering sourness and spice that dances on the tongue. This flavor leaves the mouth with almost chocolate taste to it. Wonderfully complex and dynamic. Very thick mouth feel that is deceptively carbonated. I’m thinking this would go well with a smoked gouda. I don’t know If I’d have two of these in a night, but it’s a very well done brew.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

I am a personal fan of Dogfish Head, so I was excited to try something to unique from a brewery I already love.
The beer poured a dark orange and was somewhat translucent, not exactly unfiltered but not totally clear either. It had no head and left almost no lacing whatsoever.
It had the aroma of some citrus, somewhat malty hints and sweet fruits. The taste, however, immediately hit me with spices, and a lot of alcohol taste. It wasn't overpowering but definitely there. It started bitter and ended up pleasantly sweet; can truly say it was a taste I had never encountered. It was smooth and refreshing, definiely a beer to be served somewhat chilled. I have to respect the creativity Dogfish Head has and the chances they take in brewing. it often leads to exciting things, this being one of them.

1.6/5  rDev -57.1%

No head on the pour. The color is a amber with red highlights. No gold....where's Midas?
Heavy alcohol, extreme spice, honey, grapes and pepper. Raunchy, but I'll try it anyway.
Oof - this is where my "inexperiance" as an advocate comes in. I have a feeling I know what I'm tasting but I can't begin to describe the pain my taste buds are in. An immediate peppery sting inflames the mouth and the grapes, saffron and alcohol kill them off. WTF is Saffron? lol
I dumped this sucker. Sorry DFH.

Oh yeah, and I paid $18 for four of these?! Kill me.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery