Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch
3.73/5
Good
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 1626-1650 | 1651-1675 | 1676-1700  | next → last
Reviews: 1,690 | Ratings: 4,980
2.9/5  rDev -22.3%

This is a very experimental brew. Very similar to Mead but much better. I have never been a big Mead fan. Too sweet for my tastes and so is this. Very candy like tastand very similar to a heavier dessert white wine. I could not have more than one.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Orange in color with little head and a lot of carbonation. You can definitely taste the muscat grapes they use in here and not much else. For what it is, I really enjoyed it as a beverage. The only reason I would dock it points is if I knew there were going after a certain style and did not follow specs. Very interesting and worth a try, especially if you enjoy dessert wines.

Pours with a yellow head. Golden orange in color with little bubbles. Smells of honey and grapes. Sweet grape /honey taste. Totally different than anything that you have ever tasted in a beer. They drank this 2,700 years age at a grand funerary feast and it is as unique as the history it represents. Not an everyday beer (mead) but a nice trip back in history.

3.61/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

As a guy with a history degree, I couldn't pass this up when I saw it!

A nice golden-orange clored brew with plenty of apparent carbonation. It has a thick, rocky, white head. Solid head retention, with residual lace almost completely coating the glass. Smells and tastes like a mild mead. Grape comes through somewhat in the taste & smell, mixing with a slightly yeasty aroma. Very smooth and easy drinking beer. Overall, a bit too mead/wine-like to become a regular, but a good brew for a change of pace.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

Very interesting offering.Slighty-hazey orangey-yellow with a tiny head that stays throughout. Different earthy nose that is subtle but complex. Strong tastes of alcohol, esters and fermented honey. Smooth body that warms your body.

This one was a bit much by itself, but would be superior escorting some grub. I Dig it. Drink at sight. Cheers!

3.76/5  rDev +0.8%

Gold...frothy 1 1/2 inch head...nose is wine like...grapes and some mustiness...sweet, wine cooler like taste...unique but not beer-like....some honey sweetness and smoothness emerges...everything the bottle lists is here, but not a true beer...good...I wouldn't call it a beer but it's decent....very easy drinking for the alcohol load...all these badasses do is make high alcohol beers don't they???...I'd hate to party with these f'ers..

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer is golden with orange highlights. Nice head. Nice retention. Sweet aroma. Honey. Smells like a braggot. This beer tastes fairly bland to me. There are some sweet honey tones. The impressive thing about this beer is that it is 9% a/v. If you want an easy drinking high a/v beer, this is it. Dangerously smooth and easy drinking. Personally, there is not enough complexity in the taste for me to sample this one very often. (Especially given the price.)

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer was to say the least,Interesting.Nice gold amber in color.Sight head with fine champagne bubbles.Light nose of tart grapes.The first taste is a little tart then comes the honey and barley,You can't go into this beer with the thought that it is like any beer you have ever tasted.Great beer/wine/mead to be sipping on in the summer.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

This brew was a bit different than I expected. I was looking for a strong malty brew with a harsh alcohol character and a finish to take paint off the family vehicle. What I found was a hazy golden pouring with a thick foamy off-white head. with a complex aroma of musky grapes and slight hint of alcohol. The first taste uncovered a complex heavy grape and honey sweetness with a musky oaky finish. This concoction was very smooth for teh alcohol content and is reminiscent of a fine aged wine. Nice work.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Luminous hazy orange. Bright white head. Citrusy aroma, slightly winey like Chardonnay. Alcohol perceived in nose. Nice effervescent flavor, tight carbonation. Could serve as a great replacement for champagne. Slight Belgian yeast flavor. Creamy and smooth throughout. Very dry, wheaty finish.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

Unique - gotta' admire Dogfish Head for taking a shot at reproducing an ancient grape/barley/honey ale. Not like anything I've run across before. The aroma is that of wine, or a wine flavored malt beverage like cold duck. First sip was sweet and very wine-like. Only at the end did any hint of malt slip in. I was not terribly taken with this at first, but as it warmed, the malt became more noticeable (but the grapes never gave much ground). At about room temperature, it seemed like some strange hybred between a Belgian dubble and a barleywine. An interesting experiment, but I'm ready to move on.

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: 750 ml clear glass champagne magnum, blurb about the beer and well packed sediment on the bottom of the bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Perpetually hazed with a cloudy sunset orange colour, lace hold well …does not stick much but stay around.

Smell: Perfume-like aroma of raw honey, grape skin and saffron. Suggestions of allspice and earthy undertones.

Taste: Smooth with a bottle conditioned or a conditioned carbonation in the secondary fermentation, Alcohol make a mark as first presence with some spicy estery components as well as a bit of solvent flavours. Big buttery flavour from an over zealous diacetyl is the layer of icing for this brew. Grape skin and a fermented honey twang in the alcohol come through. Mineral and spicy saffron flavours in the middle, vinous and lightly tart. Oddly phenolic with allspice flavours flailing around that border medicinal. The after taste has the remains of grape skin and grain. After shocks of the ester / solvent alcohol continue to warm the body.

Notes: Great to have an experimental brew here and there, bring this to a dinner party to funk things up. After a couple of bottle of this they won’t know up from down or wine from beer. Other than that it is not a beer that would be considered an everyday beer nor a beer you can drink much at all. More or less a beer to share with a meal … seems to pair well with garlic studded pork loin with brown rice (that could be cooked with saffron) and a sun-dried tomato spinach and goat cheese salad.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

I must admit from what I've read and the description on the label, I really didn't know what to expect from this brew. It was really more beer like than I anticipated. Slightly hazy peach colored liquid. Nice pillowy, lasting tan head. Grapes, honey are evident in the aroma and flavor along with a touch of alcohol. Definitely sweet, but not cloying. Considering all the unique components in this brew, the flavors blend pretty well. Overall a unique, worthwhile treat.

2.55/5  rDev -31.6%

I hate to give this brew such low marks, because I can appreciate the tradition and archeology that is behind this brew. Nonetheless, I must call 'em as I see 'em.
This "beer" (which is more a mead than anything) has a cloying sweetness which I just could not adjust to. Lots of honey and wine flavors to contend with. Much too sweet for my taste. I actually had to struggle to finish it. My bottle was capped rather then corked (I think I got the last bottle in the Madison area...for that I feel relatively fortunate); I would have prefered a corked bottle, but I don't think it would have made any difference. It is not something I would purchase again. I am, however, glad I tried it.
If you can get ahold of some, give it a shot for history's sake.
I would love to give King Midas some Immort Ale. just to let him witness how far beer has progressed the in past few millennia.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

The first sip that I took of this beer, I thought that it was going to be too sweet for me, despite the amazing complexity of mixing mead, wine, and beer. Not too often you get to try a beer that has been reported on by the New York Times as a matter of archeological interest. The muscat grapes do add a tartness that was not here the first time that I tried this beer. I think it detracts from the drinkability. Not as much of a fan anymore, but still a great, unique brew.

firstprev| 1626-1650 | 1651-1675 | 1676-1700  | next → last