Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Ratings: 4,819 |  Reviews: 1,652
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a clear, honey color with a small, tan ring around the top.

S: I'm getting a lot of wine-like qualities in the smell. Honey and a little bit of tropical fruit as well.

T: Goes down sweet and smooth. Lots of honey and white grape-like sweetness with a touch of sourness that's very reminiscent of wine. On the finish, bready malts and some yeast come in. The mouthfeel is really what saves this one. If it was a bit thicker, the sweetness would be overpowering.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (Bottled On 02/21/11) into a pint glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 2-finger fluffy off-white head that quickly dissipates after a couple minutes. A thin dusting remains throughout the majority of consumption. The body is a slightly hazy golden straw color with very few slow-rising carbonation bubbles.

Pungent wine-like aromas are most prevalent in the nose. A sweet grape juice note is also there in the background. This beer seems pretty straight-forward.

The flavors are somewhat expected from the aromas. Very wine-like and grapey at first, but not as sweet as anticipated. Oddly, the expected sweetness is not replaced by dryness, but instead by a slight bitterness. An appropriate warmth at the end of each sip reminds the drinker that this beer is 9% ABV.

Medium bodied with light carbonation, this beer's drinkability suffers a little from the lack of carbonation. While the body is not thick enough to be syrupy, this beer is certainly not a thirst-quencher.

While I am not a huge fan of this beer, I did attempt to keep this review somewhat subjective. While listening to my personal opinions on this beer, I still gave some leniency considering this beer was brewed according to a 2700-year-old recipe with little room for variance by the brewer.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

The smell really intrigued me, kind of like mead with a little bit grape and malt way in the back. I could have used a lot more hop in this beer, it was kind of sweet and almost bland. All the same, the grape and honey part was really interesting because you could actually taste that aspect, so I want to give them credit for at least that unique aspect, although it is probably my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. I also tried it on tap at Howie & Sons a few weeks later and it tasted a little less sweet with the extra carbonation, but it just didn't change my mind. The batches varied alot it seems to me...

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Drank a 12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip glass. It poured a slightly hazy yellow gold, like a thick chardonnay. Had a small white head, which quickly dissipated. Neat little bubbles ascended one by one.

The aroma was mostly grapes, with a tad of honey. The taste matched, lots of grapes and more honey in the taste than scent. Just enough bitterness to remind you that this is a beer and not wine. A warming slightly hot alcohol taste came through in the finish. There was also a somewhat fruity and yeasty phenolic smell and taste. I could not taste the saffron.

Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth and slightly fizzy.

Overall, this is a white wine lover's beer, and almost a beer lover's wine. It seemed like a Belgian Golden ale and white wine mixed together. Interesting flavors, though not one I would return to often.

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Kind of looks like bubbly ice tea. A thin layer of tan foam and decent lacing. Possibly yeast or spice particles as well?

Smell: Pretty pungent. Spiced oranges, pepper, and some herbal notes. Kinda medicinal. It's personally a bit too strong for me, but objectively pretty good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Same as smell. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and doesn't stand up to taste and smell.

Drinkability: Kind of a weird tea/beer combo.

Overall: One of Dogfish Head's few disappointments.

3.16/5  rDev -15.1%

I vigorously poured the 12 oz bottle into a Guinness pint glass. An attractive honey colored body with a thin 1/2 inch creamy head atop. Not much carbonation evident rising up. A slight haze.

The fragrance was light but that of spice, maybe wheat, and of muscat grapes.

The flavor was dominated by grape stem tannin which for me drowned out some of the more subtle honeyed muscat flavors which would have been nice if they were more prominent. Some spice qualities also present below as well.

It was drinkable and the 9% ABV was well concealed. Not bad by any means but I probably wouldn't return to this offering from Dogfish.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very excited as this is my first Dogfish Head beer! (I live in Iowa so there's little opportunity to get it unless I have an awesome roommate that grabs it for me from Chicago...thanks Bruce)

A - pours a deep honey-golden color with slight red and orange highlights. Thin head that disappears almost immediately.

S - Sweet! Has a wine-like character but is more similar to welch's grape juice. Slight hint of toasty malt. Another aroma there that I can't quite put my finger on (it may be the saffron, but I'm not that familiar with the spice). Alcohol becomes more noticeable with warming.

T - Hugely malty and sticky sweet with a subtle acidic tang. Grapes again grab me up front with a big biscuity malt body that follows right behind. I'm trying hard to notice any hint of the saffron, but I can't pick it out.

M - Pretty viscous and the malt/honey/grape juice backbone provides for a sticky mouthfeel after each sip.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a light copper with a foamy white head. Lots of carbonation. Smells much like a saison or some other lighter spicy brew. There's saffron, grapes, and honey. Very light for this level of ABV. Hops are on the sweeter side. Interesting, but not my deal.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish Head but not a big fan of herbed or spiced beer so I was interested to see how this would be. I bought it as a part of a mixed six of Dogfish beers.

Color was a light copper with a very active head. Almost looked like a tripel.

There's an herbal quality to the aroma but not overpowering. Otherwise it reminded me of a cross between a strong ale and a tripel.

Flavor as well was not as overpowering as I had expected and was actually pretty enjoyable.

Overall a good beer. Not one of Dogfish's best, in my opinion, but definitely worth trying.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Picked this up at Steve's Liquor before Dogfishhead leaves Wisconsin.

Poured a cloudy caramel color with an average amount of tight white head. Great lacing on this beer as well. Some spice and malt in the smell, maybe a little honey in there as well. Taste is sweet and malty up front. Then the herbs and spices come on in the finish along with a little bitterness as well. This is an intersting beer, but it's growing on me. Medium mouthfeel, goes down pretty smoothly despite the 9% abv and spices. Overall a pretty decent beer. I didn't think I liked it at first, but by halfway through, it grew on me. I would probably try this again but not until it's available in Wisconsin again.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

I got a bottle Midas Touch Golden Elixir for $3.09 at The Lager Mill. The guy working at the store saw I was buying a couple different Short's brews and said that if I liked them I should give this one a try to since it is an experimental beer like some of the shorts I got, so I took his word for it and picked one up. No visible freshness date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a mini snifter.

A- The label is pretty plain but the purple color and big fingerprint help this beer stick out from the rest. It poured a clear golden yellow color with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring.

S- The aroma is sweet, grainy, and herbal. The honey gives this beer a slight mead like aroma. There is some fruits in there mainly white grapes. A pretty unique smelling brew that smells like a mix of mead, white wine, and beer.

T- The taste starts out pretty sweet like the aroma hinted at. I pick up some grainy malts at first then I am hit with a mixture of white grapes and honey. The flavor is really unique and complex. At first it tastes like a mead, then theres some white wine, and finally theres some malty beer thrown in there. No presence of hops or saffron, but I haven;t had much saffron so that may be why I can't pick it up. The alcohol was hidden very well, tasted like it was 6% instead of 9%.

M- Medium light bodied, crisp, and had a pretty dry finish. It has a medium amount of carbonation that works well with this brew and its mead and wine like character.

Overall I would say that this was a good unique brew. Midas Touch blurs the line between beer, wine and mead. There were a lot of different things going on with this beer that made it pretty complex but not over done. This may not be everyones cup of tea, but I am pretty adventurous beer drinker so this feeds my need to search out the odd and unique. This ins't a beer I could drink more then one of or keep around in the fridge, but it is good for mixing things up a bit and I feel like the wine like quality's this beer has would appeal to women. If you like unique beers and enjoy a glass of mead and white wine on occasion then this brew might be for you. I was a little late hopping on the Dogfish head train but I am really starting to like their style, wonder what other odd beers they have waiting for me to try.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

The pour has very little head and after about 30 seconds the head is gone altogether. There is very little carbonation, but the taste is good. The white grape is evident along with the barley wine giving it a nice sweetness mixed with bitterness.

It reminds me of a sauvignon blanc with hops. Not the best beer I've had from Dogfish but it's definitely worth a try if you're interested in the whole ancient ale thing.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

A-Cloudy golden yellow with two finger head

S-Lemon, yeast and grapes.

T-Starts very sweet with grape, honey and lemon flavors. Flavorful spices are present as well. However it does end with some hops, balanced.

M- Light and carbonated.

D-Not the best beer that DFH has to offer, my first endeavor into their ancient ales, worth a try buy not really worth the price of a 4 pack. EDIT-After having two more the drinkability is not the same level as other DFH products. The spices do not make for an easily sessionable beer.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours light golden and crystal clear. There is a small white head which quickly recedes, leaving little lacing.

S: The smell is sweet and herbal. The honey imparts a warm sweetness that is complemented by fruit flavors ranging from grape to orange peel.

T: At first sip, I can taste some bitter citrusy hops. As I savor, a more herbal taste comes through. The honey is still noticeable, but less pronounced than in the smell. Right before I swallow, the grape flavor comes to the front, giving the beer the flavor of a white wine. The aftertaste is a combination of bitter hops and white wine.

M: High alcohol content combined with a decent amount of carbonation creates a sharp, warm feeling. The grapes also give the dry mouthfeel of a white wine, especially in the aftertaste.

O: An interesting combination of flavors. The honey gives the smell a sort of sweetness not often found in beer and grapes remind one of wine.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not really a lighter beer guy. I like darker beers in general, ales, stouts and especially good porters, but the description card at BevMo was interesting so I gave this one a go.

Appearance was average. It's a really light beer. It had a decent head on it.

For the beer itself, what a unique twist. It's somewhat sweet, and has a lot of flavor in it, though still really mild. It's not what I usually expect when I see a light beer in a glass (prepare to be bored!). I have a hard time explaining this. I've never really had anything else like this. It's almost like the desert wine of beer, but only about a 10th of the sweetness from a desert wine.

I usually drink 1, maybe 2 beers in given evening if my fridge do not runneth barren. I could easily drink through all 4 that come in the pack at the store if the price tag were not such an obstacle. I think these ran $12.99 for a four pack.

I've also tried the 60 minute IPA from DogFish (I thought it seemed good for what it was, but IPAs are one of the few beers I am still working on acquiring a taste for). It was pretty good, though, which help influence me to grab this one. I am happy I did. I will definitely be buying this again.

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%

I will rate this beer slightly above average because even though I didn't enjoy it that much and wouldn't rate it on par with other offerings from Dogfish Head; it had some intriguing tastes in it that made it at least interesting to drink.

The apperance, smell and mouthfeel did nothing for me that would seperate it from your common light beer on tap at your local sport bar.

The taste was a little bit bland at first but then you are hit with a tangy, sweet fruit taste followed by a sourdough bread like taste and then it ends with a white grape taste. I would have had no idea this was 9 abv as the alcohol is hidden quite well.

So like I said, this is not my favorite offering from DFH but it was intriguing enough that I will enjoy drinking the other three bottles from the four pack.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

A- 4 Midas Touch is clear and yellow gold in color. It has a 1/2 finger eggshell head on the pour that dissipates slightly but leaves a thick ring where it contacts the glass. It turns creamier as it warms. There's active bubbly carbonation in the brew and also a very smooth, concentrated lacing. The lacing is especially attractive as it leaves thick walls of bubbles sliding down the glass throughout. I find that to make up for the color alone which is generally bland.

S- 4 Initially I'm hit with white grapes that remind me of wine, but then a spice and honey sweetness bring me back in. They combine for what reminds me of bubble gum just a bit. Nice pleasant aroma.

T- 4 The muscat grapes come through more strongly than I'd expected from its aroma, and it is slightly sour at first. I do pick up the honey again which definitely helps its balance. I don't get as much spice here, though, which really would've rounded it out for me. It tastes good regardless.

M- 4.5 Midas Touch feels fairly crisp at first sip but then turns creamy as it is goes down. Very nice feel overall. It's medium in body and has a carbonation right around average.

D- 4 A hair more of the grapes than I'd prefer has me thinking wine and not beer at moments, but there is just enough going on otherwise to keep me interested and generally enjoying this brew. It is certainly 'different' - like a lot of DFH brews - but I like it. At 9% ABV it can sneak up on you; I thought the alcohol was pretty well hidden. It is a little pricey... Nonetheless, I'll likely buy it again. It's something I could enjoy every once in awhile.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Poured from tap a great golden hue with a firm cap which disapates rather quickly.

S: Sweet from the malts and a touch of honey with a hint of something rare and indiscribable.

T: Hits the tongue with a sweet and silky touch.

M: Medium bodied and great carb level.

O: Would definitly drink this one again Sadly have had this in a bottle before and was not as good.

Thanks Sam.

A: Pure gold with a nice frothy head that goes away quick.
S: Honey and a lot of grapes there is booze present but it is well hidden. Well done!
T: Sweet very sweet it kind of reminds me of a winter warmer. A lot of malt and a lot of honey I can't distinguish any hop flavor but I feel like they had a role because it is not overly sweet.
M: Low carbonation goes down smoothe and creamy. Pretty quenching too.
Overall a nice selection I think the best quality of this beer is its ABV the high alcohol really compliments the other flavors.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

A&S - Poured into an imperial pint. Pours a champagne gold, with a slim head and no lacing. Getting a lot of the grapes used in this one which make a great fermented alcohol, chardonnay like aroma. Also getting a lot of coriander and tripel.

T&M - Light-medium body, super bubbly, feels like a sweet wine. Tastes like it smells, lots of coriander and grapes, sweet on the front then slowly fades into a thick spicy finish with a light hop bite.

O - Good beer to try, but not something i'd but again.

Considering this is year round brew I expected a more complex taste. Not that this is flavorless but I'd prefer a spicier Tripel as appose to this sweet style. Nothing much left to say, just wasn't mind blowing as I anticipated. Stay thirsty my friends.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottled in September of 2008. I guess the only DFH we have access to currently in western Michigan is really old DFH.

Midas Touch pours a slightly hazy amber that leans more towards the golden edge of the spectrum but has a slight deep reddish tinge. The head is beige and has a nice density to it. Unfortunately it melts away all too fast, though it does leave some decent lace.

The aroma is pleasantly fruity with a definite wine like character. Grape and apple are the main fruity notes. They go along with caramel, meady sweetness and some spicy and floral character to make up the nose. This is a very perfumey nose that lets you know right off the bat that this beer is a wee bit different.

The flavor is very complex with many layers that all sort of bounce around on the palate at once. Pale malt, mead, fermented grapes, spice, flowers, earthiness and some alcohol all swirl together. Each sip seems to bring out something a bit different. I've had this beer fresh on a number of occasions and I would say that this older vintage seems to have a bit less of the wine like characteristics that I remember. This is a good thing because it allows other flavors to come through more.

The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium with a good amount of carbonation. It has enough to keep it lively, yet it is low enough to fit well with the winey and mead like qualities of this brew. The finish is a nice balance of dry and sweet and leaves some nice flowery notes on my tongue.

Midas Touch has always been one of my favorite "off centered ales" because it is different enough to be interesting, but not so much so that it is cliché. I think this is a great brew for those in the mood for something different, or looking for a beer to give to wine loving friends. Maybe part of my high drinkability score is due to a near religious experience I had trying this at the Milton tasting room while on one of the best vacations of my life, but I am totally okay with that.

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%

Had on tap at The Pickled Pig Pub

A: The beer is perfectly clear golden color with a small white head that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing left behind.

S: Honey, grapes, some spice, a little lemon. Very sweet.

T: Very sweet, a little overly sweet for my liking. The oney comes through as do the grapes. There is a little bit of spice, but that part is relatively faint. I can taste a bit of alcohol, more so as it warms.

M: Medium bodied and medium carbonation, relatively crisp, but cloyingly sweet. No alcohol heat, but could taste it a little.

O: Just not really my kind of beer. Have had this a few times and just can't get over the flavor/sweetness combination. It does taste a little better with some food though, probably because the food mutes some of the sweetness. I give DFH some credit for making this though, I really do like the concept behind it.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

App - Very clear with a bit of yellow/gold hue. Good Head retention
Nose - Light honey and malt with a just a touch of the sweet sourness.
Taste - Very sweet and malty, but still balanced with the slightest bit of spice. No real notice of a, "grape" , flavor, but still holds a tarty Muscat.
Aftertaste - Tarty and sweet, the honey really sticks around well.
Mouth Feel - Thick with a Port like syrup feel. Carbonation compliments rather than distracts.
Overall - This a very unique beer. Doesn't really fit into any great style, but fits well into just about any white wine drinkers bill.

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

Into a pint, it pours bright coppery amber gold and clear with a solid finger and a half of off-white head which dissipates quickly. Little to no lacing is left by the head, but when I tilt the glass I see some very fine, tight lacing that slides down lazily after the rest of the beer.

The nose is sweet, heavy on the grape with some candied plums and just little bit of malty goodness in the back. Not too sweet or strong that it smells boozy or gives too much of a preview of the taste.

The taste is complex and changes as it warms, sip this one slowly. A lot of fruit, starting with the white grape, some currant, apricot, candied plum, and a strong dose of honey sweetness. I don't know if I pick up on the saffron, but the spice is there and it provides a nice dry counterbalance to the fruit. I'm tasting coriander and cumin. There's almost something vegetable-ish in there too like beets or asparagus. It's all balanced enough that it still tastes like a beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky and syrupy due to the honey. Not so thick that it makes it hard to drink, just right to let you know this is a decadent, full-bodied golden ale. If this wasn't so complex and demanding of careful attention, you could drink one pretty fast.

Overall excellent. I'd happily drink four of these and call it a night, it would take all night to drink since they sip so slow. Expensive, I know, but worth it for a special occasion.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Into a tulip glass on 3.6.11., this pours a very clear and bright amber highlighted gold color. What a brilliant shine! Smell is that of an earthy and tart fruit spice, perhaps from the saffron and grapes. Aroma is very similar to a crisp and sweet white wine with its bright malt sweetness. A moderate and crisp body lets the earthy fruit and spice play on the palate and empty on a delicate honey noted finish. Next time I try this, I'd like to pair it with a light salad and/or a mild seafood dish. This is also an ultra cool time-machine into the ancient past...

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery