Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Ratings: 4,908 |  Reviews: 1,675
3.56/5  rDev -4.6%

The pour has very little head and after about 30 seconds the head is gone altogether. There is very little carbonation, but the taste is good. The white grape is evident along with the barley wine giving it a nice sweetness mixed with bitterness.

It reminds me of a sauvignon blanc with hops. Not the best beer I've had from Dogfish but it's definitely worth a try if you're interested in the whole ancient ale thing.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

A-Cloudy golden yellow with two finger head

S-Lemon, yeast and grapes.

T-Starts very sweet with grape, honey and lemon flavors. Flavorful spices are present as well. However it does end with some hops, balanced.

M- Light and carbonated.

D-Not the best beer that DFH has to offer, my first endeavor into their ancient ales, worth a try buy not really worth the price of a 4 pack. EDIT-After having two more the drinkability is not the same level as other DFH products. The spices do not make for an easily sessionable beer.

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours light golden and crystal clear. There is a small white head which quickly recedes, leaving little lacing.

S: The smell is sweet and herbal. The honey imparts a warm sweetness that is complemented by fruit flavors ranging from grape to orange peel.

T: At first sip, I can taste some bitter citrusy hops. As I savor, a more herbal taste comes through. The honey is still noticeable, but less pronounced than in the smell. Right before I swallow, the grape flavor comes to the front, giving the beer the flavor of a white wine. The aftertaste is a combination of bitter hops and white wine.

M: High alcohol content combined with a decent amount of carbonation creates a sharp, warm feeling. The grapes also give the dry mouthfeel of a white wine, especially in the aftertaste.

O: An interesting combination of flavors. The honey gives the smell a sort of sweetness not often found in beer and grapes remind one of wine.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not really a lighter beer guy. I like darker beers in general, ales, stouts and especially good porters, but the description card at BevMo was interesting so I gave this one a go.

Appearance was average. It's a really light beer. It had a decent head on it.

For the beer itself, what a unique twist. It's somewhat sweet, and has a lot of flavor in it, though still really mild. It's not what I usually expect when I see a light beer in a glass (prepare to be bored!). I have a hard time explaining this. I've never really had anything else like this. It's almost like the desert wine of beer, but only about a 10th of the sweetness from a desert wine.

I usually drink 1, maybe 2 beers in given evening if my fridge do not runneth barren. I could easily drink through all 4 that come in the pack at the store if the price tag were not such an obstacle. I think these ran $12.99 for a four pack.

I've also tried the 60 minute IPA from DogFish (I thought it seemed good for what it was, but IPAs are one of the few beers I am still working on acquiring a taste for). It was pretty good, though, which help influence me to grab this one. I am happy I did. I will definitely be buying this again.

3.27/5  rDev -12.3%

I will rate this beer slightly above average because even though I didn't enjoy it that much and wouldn't rate it on par with other offerings from Dogfish Head; it had some intriguing tastes in it that made it at least interesting to drink.

The apperance, smell and mouthfeel did nothing for me that would seperate it from your common light beer on tap at your local sport bar.

The taste was a little bit bland at first but then you are hit with a tangy, sweet fruit taste followed by a sourdough bread like taste and then it ends with a white grape taste. I would have had no idea this was 9 abv as the alcohol is hidden quite well.

So like I said, this is not my favorite offering from DFH but it was intriguing enough that I will enjoy drinking the other three bottles from the four pack.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A- 4 Midas Touch is clear and yellow gold in color. It has a 1/2 finger eggshell head on the pour that dissipates slightly but leaves a thick ring where it contacts the glass. It turns creamier as it warms. There's active bubbly carbonation in the brew and also a very smooth, concentrated lacing. The lacing is especially attractive as it leaves thick walls of bubbles sliding down the glass throughout. I find that to make up for the color alone which is generally bland.

S- 4 Initially I'm hit with white grapes that remind me of wine, but then a spice and honey sweetness bring me back in. They combine for what reminds me of bubble gum just a bit. Nice pleasant aroma.

T- 4 The muscat grapes come through more strongly than I'd expected from its aroma, and it is slightly sour at first. I do pick up the honey again which definitely helps its balance. I don't get as much spice here, though, which really would've rounded it out for me. It tastes good regardless.

M- 4.5 Midas Touch feels fairly crisp at first sip but then turns creamy as it is goes down. Very nice feel overall. It's medium in body and has a carbonation right around average.

D- 4 A hair more of the grapes than I'd prefer has me thinking wine and not beer at moments, but there is just enough going on otherwise to keep me interested and generally enjoying this brew. It is certainly 'different' - like a lot of DFH brews - but I like it. At 9% ABV it can sneak up on you; I thought the alcohol was pretty well hidden. It is a little pricey... Nonetheless, I'll likely buy it again. It's something I could enjoy every once in awhile.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Poured from tap a great golden hue with a firm cap which disapates rather quickly.

S: Sweet from the malts and a touch of honey with a hint of something rare and indiscribable.

T: Hits the tongue with a sweet and silky touch.

M: Medium bodied and great carb level.

O: Would definitly drink this one again Sadly have had this in a bottle before and was not as good.

Thanks Sam.

A: Pure gold with a nice frothy head that goes away quick.
S: Honey and a lot of grapes there is booze present but it is well hidden. Well done!
T: Sweet very sweet it kind of reminds me of a winter warmer. A lot of malt and a lot of honey I can't distinguish any hop flavor but I feel like they had a role because it is not overly sweet.
M: Low carbonation goes down smoothe and creamy. Pretty quenching too.
Overall a nice selection I think the best quality of this beer is its ABV the high alcohol really compliments the other flavors.

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

A&S - Poured into an imperial pint. Pours a champagne gold, with a slim head and no lacing. Getting a lot of the grapes used in this one which make a great fermented alcohol, chardonnay like aroma. Also getting a lot of coriander and tripel.

T&M - Light-medium body, super bubbly, feels like a sweet wine. Tastes like it smells, lots of coriander and grapes, sweet on the front then slowly fades into a thick spicy finish with a light hop bite.

O - Good beer to try, but not something i'd but again.

Considering this is year round brew I expected a more complex taste. Not that this is flavorless but I'd prefer a spicier Tripel as appose to this sweet style. Nothing much left to say, just wasn't mind blowing as I anticipated. Stay thirsty my friends.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottled in September of 2008. I guess the only DFH we have access to currently in western Michigan is really old DFH.

Midas Touch pours a slightly hazy amber that leans more towards the golden edge of the spectrum but has a slight deep reddish tinge. The head is beige and has a nice density to it. Unfortunately it melts away all too fast, though it does leave some decent lace.

The aroma is pleasantly fruity with a definite wine like character. Grape and apple are the main fruity notes. They go along with caramel, meady sweetness and some spicy and floral character to make up the nose. This is a very perfumey nose that lets you know right off the bat that this beer is a wee bit different.

The flavor is very complex with many layers that all sort of bounce around on the palate at once. Pale malt, mead, fermented grapes, spice, flowers, earthiness and some alcohol all swirl together. Each sip seems to bring out something a bit different. I've had this beer fresh on a number of occasions and I would say that this older vintage seems to have a bit less of the wine like characteristics that I remember. This is a good thing because it allows other flavors to come through more.

The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium with a good amount of carbonation. It has enough to keep it lively, yet it is low enough to fit well with the winey and mead like qualities of this brew. The finish is a nice balance of dry and sweet and leaves some nice flowery notes on my tongue.

Midas Touch has always been one of my favorite "off centered ales" because it is different enough to be interesting, but not so much so that it is cliché. I think this is a great brew for those in the mood for something different, or looking for a beer to give to wine loving friends. Maybe part of my high drinkability score is due to a near religious experience I had trying this at the Milton tasting room while on one of the best vacations of my life, but I am totally okay with that.

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

Had on tap at The Pickled Pig Pub

A: The beer is perfectly clear golden color with a small white head that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing left behind.

S: Honey, grapes, some spice, a little lemon. Very sweet.

T: Very sweet, a little overly sweet for my liking. The oney comes through as do the grapes. There is a little bit of spice, but that part is relatively faint. I can taste a bit of alcohol, more so as it warms.

M: Medium bodied and medium carbonation, relatively crisp, but cloyingly sweet. No alcohol heat, but could taste it a little.

O: Just not really my kind of beer. Have had this a few times and just can't get over the flavor/sweetness combination. It does taste a little better with some food though, probably because the food mutes some of the sweetness. I give DFH some credit for making this though, I really do like the concept behind it.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

App - Very clear with a bit of yellow/gold hue. Good Head retention
Nose - Light honey and malt with a just a touch of the sweet sourness.
Taste - Very sweet and malty, but still balanced with the slightest bit of spice. No real notice of a, "grape" , flavor, but still holds a tarty Muscat.
Aftertaste - Tarty and sweet, the honey really sticks around well.
Mouth Feel - Thick with a Port like syrup feel. Carbonation compliments rather than distracts.
Overall - This a very unique beer. Doesn't really fit into any great style, but fits well into just about any white wine drinkers bill.

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Into a pint, it pours bright coppery amber gold and clear with a solid finger and a half of off-white head which dissipates quickly. Little to no lacing is left by the head, but when I tilt the glass I see some very fine, tight lacing that slides down lazily after the rest of the beer.

The nose is sweet, heavy on the grape with some candied plums and just little bit of malty goodness in the back. Not too sweet or strong that it smells boozy or gives too much of a preview of the taste.

The taste is complex and changes as it warms, sip this one slowly. A lot of fruit, starting with the white grape, some currant, apricot, candied plum, and a strong dose of honey sweetness. I don't know if I pick up on the saffron, but the spice is there and it provides a nice dry counterbalance to the fruit. I'm tasting coriander and cumin. There's almost something vegetable-ish in there too like beets or asparagus. It's all balanced enough that it still tastes like a beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky and syrupy due to the honey. Not so thick that it makes it hard to drink, just right to let you know this is a decadent, full-bodied golden ale. If this wasn't so complex and demanding of careful attention, you could drink one pretty fast.

Overall excellent. I'd happily drink four of these and call it a night, it would take all night to drink since they sip so slow. Expensive, I know, but worth it for a special occasion.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Into a tulip glass on 3.6.11., this pours a very clear and bright amber highlighted gold color. What a brilliant shine! Smell is that of an earthy and tart fruit spice, perhaps from the saffron and grapes. Aroma is very similar to a crisp and sweet white wine with its bright malt sweetness. A moderate and crisp body lets the earthy fruit and spice play on the palate and empty on a delicate honey noted finish. Next time I try this, I'd like to pair it with a light salad and/or a mild seafood dish. This is also an ultra cool time-machine into the ancient past...

3.36/5  rDev -9.9%

As I anticipated with this being an Ancient reciepe beer it was different. The smell is wine like, with some floral notes from the saffron. Not much head and lacing from the high ABV. The finish is sweet and short. Not my every day beer for sure, but not a bad attempt of an ancient beer from a good brewery.
Bottled 1/6/11

Bottled on: 01/06/11 C

A: Pours a golden straw yellow with a quickly fading head

S: Definitely get some of that muscat grape smell up front along with honey sweetness and lemon zest (maybe the saffron?)

T: Some winey notes from the grapes followed by a fairly decent sweetness no doubt brought about by the honey. Dries out quite a bit towards the end due to the alcohol, but the alcohol doesn't linger at all, nor does it really show up anywhere else

M: Light body with moderate carbonation, deceivingly heavy and hearty

D/O: Definitely glad this comes in 4-packs and not 6-packs because of the abv, I'd be in trouble with the latter! This is definitely another solid brew from DFH

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%

I am not sure what I may have been expecting, but this wasn't it. The 'Golden' in the Golden Elixer expressed on the label is certainly correct...

Perhaps it was the particlar bottle (and considering that it's DFH, I'm certainly willing to take a second chance)... but this brew was much more sour than spicy.

4.09/5  rDev +9.7%

Served from bottle in goblet glass at refrigerator temperature. Pours with thin head which dissipates quickly. Aroma is much more of a tart, young wine than of beer- quite intriguing. Flavor is extremely complex but is mostly of the advertised muscat grapes. Is this a sparkling wine or a beer? After a few sips the flavor of honey emerges subtly, adding to the questions surrounding this brew. Given the 9% abv, I'd say wine. Not necessarily a session beer but not one to pass up- this one is too cool to miss. I would love to quaff the next one at a renaissance faire with a giant turkey leg. Recommended.

2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle stamped 12/01/10.

clear straw color, thin white head fades fast. sweet corn aroma. sorta like an adjunct lager. not a good aroma.

tastes sweet, can definitely pick up the white grapes and honey. a lingering aftertaste. too imbalanced.

medium carbonation, thin to medium body.

disappointed. I swear when I first tried this beer a few years ago that it was much better. odd, but all 4 bottles in this pack taste the same.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

Honey golden upon pouring. Nice white head.

Aroma is fruity, cidery, a little honey sweetness. Appealing and somehow surprising.

Flavor is startling, and quite unique. Explosive combination here, sort of wine-like (no doubt due to the Muscat grapes). Honey, yeast, and grapes meld to a nice sweetness, with a warming alcohol finish.

Complex and tasty, Midas Touch is an ancient ale that transcends contemporary styles. Superb.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance - Looks quite crisp and refreshing. Appears heavily carbonated with many bubbles rising to the top. The froth seems to clump to one side. It has poor lacing. Golden yellow.

Smell - Smells of light pink grapefruit; almost a bubblegum hint. Heavy notes of floral and slight hops as well. Quite a different smell.

Taste - It tastes like I am eating grapes and has many wine qualities. A slight berry taste that also has lager characteristics. Slight notes of pineapple as well with grape juice becoming towards the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Light to medium bodied. Quite mellow tasting and the 9% ABV is hidden very well. Has qualities of wine and champagne.

SECOND REVIEW NOTES: On-tap once more at 101 Laundry.

Much more of a delicious malt to this offering. It's been a good six months since I've had this beer on tap. The malts and grains here are delicious and I get less of that grape taste. Still, it proves to be sot of a berry/wine type beer. I updated my review for taste on this one.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

A - It was a nice golden color.

S - The smell of honey was the first thing I was able to smell while I poured this.

T - Again, honey stood out, then the booze, a bitter end. There was some other fruit tastes as well, grapes.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - Very easy to drink, and can't wait to get it again. Friends really liked this beer too.

3.07/5  rDev -17.7%

For some reason I always walk past the Midas Touch when I'm at the beer store, probably because of the lack of IBUs. Finally decided to try it nonetheless.

Appearance-Golden color, with a 2 inch head after an agressive pour that quicky dissipates.

Smell-Took a while to get much but was soon able to get the grapes. So apparently this beer has saffron in there but all I know about saffron is that it's expensive and have never cooked with it or tasted it. It almost tastes like that non alcoholic grape champagne that you serve to kids on New Years Eve.

Taste- Sweet honey, grapes, pear and spice(probably the saffron?). Thought it would be a little more complex, a little boring. Some barleywine characteristics.

Mouthfeel-Texture and mouthfeel of champagne.

Overall-if your a hophead or a stouthead don't drink this beer. Drinkability level is very high, but definitely not one of dogfish bests.

After drinking this and a Dunkleweizen, I definitely have to go for a hopbomb in about 30 minutes.

3.47/5  rDev -7%

Poured a meager 1/4" head which almost immediately dissipated to nothing. Hazy honey colored. Smells of malt and honey and has a slightly floral or herbal smell which I'm supposing is from the saffron. Taste is basically a lager with honey. And the whole thing is a little salty. So hey, decent beer, interesting, I understand it's based on a historic recipe and all that, but when all is said and done what you've basically got is a sweet pale beer.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a diluted, clear amber color with a quarter inch white head. Streams of ever-present effervescence.

S - Honey dominates immediately along with slight booze, over ripened fruit, raisins and malt sugar.

T - An almost braggot-like honey flavor is strongly present from the beginning, leading to a medicinal alcohol taste, followed by a strong, lingering bitterness. Throughout, estery-fruit flavors from the nose are continued on the tongue. These flavors are not fully segregated in their succession but meld quite well together to form a complex combination. However, the alcohol and honey domination could be toned down a bit for my preference, but this was likely not the intent of the brewer.

M - Full bodied with a residual stickiness that coats the palate with honey and alcohol. Low to moderate carbonation.

D - Not likely to have more than one of these at a sitting.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery