Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Ratings: 4,908 |  Reviews: 1,675
4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

A - poured a clear, orange w/carmel tints, 2 inch frothy head, reminds me of a filtered wheat beer

S - wheaty, buttery, lemon zest, hint of pepper, dank

T - winey (from the grapes I imagine), sweet, spices, wheat, cereal

M - mild alcohol warming, adequate carbonation, almost no hop bite present, very pleasant slightly buttery aftertaste

D - almost a borderline sessionable brew if a little less sweeter, all in all a very flavorful imaginative creation that I wouldn't hesitate having again

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of biscuit malt, flowers, honey, grapes and a little bit of alcohol. The flavor is mainly grapes and flowers, with some honey, biscuit malt and alcohol mixed in. As the beer warms, I start to get a little more caramel malt and spices, although the spices are hard to identify. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

poured a hazy golden yellow with slightly brownish yellow highlights that had a thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was really vinous with some candy sweetness, honey, slight spice and citrus notes lurking in the background. The honey and grape character was also more potent palate with sweet citrusy notes but had a candy sugar punch. the brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, citrusy, vinous, sticky finish . It drank very good and was surprisingly better than I thought it was from the firt time I tasted it.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz Bottle / Spiegelau pint glass.

A: Hazy Golden orange in color w/white a foamy head. It left a good bit of lacing as I drank it.

S: I smell grape, bitter grain, faint honey, and celery seeds.

T: At first it was a bit bitter and warming, however, as I drank it the honey and grape surged beautifully, almost like a Chardonnay.

M: I find this beer very complex, sometimes it felt buttery like a Chardonnay wine, and the next sip dry like a Sauvignon Blanc.

D: Felt the warming alcohol a bit, but left me wanting more as I drank it.

Notes: Someone told me this is a 2700 year old ale recipe, wow, they drank good stuff back in the day!!

Salud!!

3.71/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured in a Pint glass

(This is my first review)

A: A pale gold, slightly hazy, little head (about half a finger), head dissipates quickly

S: Honey, Spice, Grapes

T: Very Unique, Saffron, Grapes, Honey

M: Little Carbonation, Medium Body

D: Drinkable, Not an everyday beer, something you can't "slam", overall something I'd drink again.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Pours a golden copper color, fairly dense, white head. Dissipated fairly quick, nice lacing.

S: Wine and honey. The grapes really come through. Slightly bread/malt aroma, but nothing too strong. The special ingredients are the star here.

T: Much like the smell, the special ingredients are on display here. Not sure I tasted a whole lot of saffron though (perhaps ore for color). Honey upfront, followed by malt, nice wine finish.

M: Nice and light, which I think is good considering the unique flavors and strength of the beer. Good carbonation.

D: Overall pretty good. Uniqueness makes this beer what it is, would not want to spoil it by drinking too much at once.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

This brew poured with a nice golden body. It had a wonderfully foamy and thick white head. As it settles, the faded pretty quick and left some lacing, but nothing special.

The aroma was very fruity and a bit sweet. The nose was hit right away wiht sweet white grape flavor, which is expected since this brew is made from Muscat grapes. The aroma is almost that chardonnay, there is a bit of a spice and honey aroma that finishes out this brews profile.

The flavor this beer is great. Something I have really never had before. After having so many traditional and other such brews, this one was great because it was different. There flavor is strong with grapes, some oranges as well. This nice alcohol push at the end that gave it a nice warming heat. Which is expected from the 9% ABV.

This brew has a medium to light body. The carbonation on this brew was kinda of heavy, but gave it a nice balance. So I enjoyed it a lot.

This brew has a higher ABV at 9%, but it was great. A great sweet, almost wine like flavors, but a nice heat that comes along with the brew. Another great brew by DFH.

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale, golden, hazy color, like a witbier or other wheat beer. Has a small, white head that dissipates quickly and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of honey, grapes, and spices.

Taste: Certainly something very unique. Starts off with an assertive, but not overpowering, hoppy bitterness. At the back, it develops a more vinous quality with notes of honey and spices. Has a nice alcohol warmth to it as well.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with an expressive carbonation.

Drinkability: An exceptional and unique beer. Before trying this, I assumed it would be some earnest but ultimately lackluster attempt to resurrect some ancient beer style. What I got was a tasty and expressive beer that really doesn't taste like anything else I've tried. This beer is definitely worth a shot and really sums up DFH's commitment to making ancient and unique beer styles.

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottle 8/24/10

A: Pours a light golden orange color with a huge amount of effervesence. The head is white and very thin.

S: An herbal nose. Almost like sage or Rosemary. A small carAmel note. Some spices like corriander or clove. Lots of floral notes and some lemon zest.

T: big alcohol notes. Lots of white grape juice gives it a chardoney quality. Some floral and herbal notes.

M: Light bodied. Lots of carbonation. The alcohol is there and the finish is sweet.

Overall: Midas Touch is a cool idea for a beer. It's got some interesting flavors and some good qualities. I'm glad I tried it but it's not really something I would drink again. Seems more like a novelty. That being said. It's not bad beer.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

I've had this in the past on tap, but most recently in a 12 ounce bottle.

A - Almost clear (could be chill haze) with a golden body. Atop is a thin head, white in color that respectably dissipates into a thin foam coating. Moderate lacing, nothing special.

S - Fruity and sweet. The nose is dominated by an overwhelming white grape juice flavor -- and I love it. Semi-sweet chardonnay, fermented pineapple juice and wild honey round out this one-side profile.

T - The taste scores big points for me. Much unlike any other "beer" you've probably tasted. In fact, it sort of detracts from most styles and leaves the traditional beer qualities at the door. Muscat grapes, sweet tangerine and whey powder are evident up front, while finishing with a soothing heat from the 9% ABV tag.

M - Carbonation is balanced, though it could be dialed back a bit. I do remember this being better refined on tap. Medium-bodied, dancing on the thinner side.

D - As good as any 9% ABV beer, for the most part. For me, the heat is welcomed and not over done which is no easy chore. Some breweries struggle masking 6 - 7%, so I'm happy DFH delivers.

I'd take the draft over the bottle any day, though they both have their place.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Not that impressed,
Poured golden wheat color with some moderate carbonation and a thin some what stick head that dissipates quickly and leaves a film on it pretty well but the lacing isn't anything to speak of...
The smell is wine like a decent white wine...
the taste about the same, a lot like a wine rich and fruity and has a the crispness is of a champagne, it warms the throat and palate like a wine too...
the feeling is surprisingly not at alcoholic as one might expect again here it is a lot like wine, its light on the tongue and crisp and sweet...
It drinks ok, defiantly a sipping beer in the same sense as a wine, for the same reasons a wine is good for sipping I don't like the wineyness of it though not for me but objectively speaking definitely worth a try.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one was kinda disappointing...(not bad, but IMO, doesn't live up to the hype) From bottle to small tasting glass. Had it on a tasting among friends.

A=Poured golden amber with a small head.

s= Mostly muscat grape, smelled like a white wine.

T=Lots of grape, hints of honey. To fruity for my taste.

M= medium/light body, not to boozy, easy to drink.

D= Not a bad beer, I'm not too much into fruity winy beers, but it is a good once in a while drink. And giving the history and process of the Midas formula i good to at least try it.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful, clear, sparkling gold- very appropriate I guess you could say. A small white head sits nicely on top of a visibly very bubbly brew, and the lacing left behind is plentiful and well-defined. The aroma is unsurprisingly complex: malts predominate, but the honey isn't shy either, and the grapes and saffron combine to impart fantastic yet subtle herbal, almost earthy, scents. Needless to say, these transfer well into the flavor profile. While the body is thick and bready, the sweetness of the honey is what really stands out in this beer. I could see how, for some, this would be a negative aspect about it, but I find it to be delicious and not overwhelming. Indeed, I feel like the token amount of hops that was added to make it officially "beer" probably help keep that flavor slightly in check. The 9% ABV is extremely well masked. Additionally, a combination of citrus and high carbonation give it a nice bite and keep the brew from tasting too syrupy. I don't exactly have saffron on a regular basis, so I'm going to assume that that was the source of the spiciness I tasted on the edge of my tongue. After the sweetness and barley subside, the beer finishes quite clean.

I liked the idea of this beer ever since I'd heard about it, though I could never force myself to shell out $15 for a 4-pack. Luckily, my girlfriend surprised me with it today and we split a bottle over dinner. While a little too sweet and expensive to enjoy on a regular basis, I wouldn't mind having a couple around for special occasions (not to mention to see how it ages!)

Poured a golden amber with a two fingered white head with a desending lace vail the entire glass. Aromas of honey, booze, and yeast. Grapes and honey on the palate with a musky oak finish with enough effervesence to make it most interesting if not wine like.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Not much of a head to thise beer, it could have used a much more aggressive pour.

The color is a light yellow/gold/amber.

The smell is of sweet caramel and chocolate malt.

On the tip of your tounge you can taste the grapes and alcohol but its very slight. Then your flooded with an amzing carmel and chocolate backbone.

Im am very suprised with this beer and must say its a win in my opinion!

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: Golden/clear amber hue

Smell: Wow! White grape juice & Honeysuckle

Taste: Grape, honey, and floral. Slightly bitter on the back of the tongue after you swallow.

Feel: Medium to full-bodied. Low carbonation. Surrprisingly dry for being sweet. Nice balance.

Drinkability: Unique and a nice twist. Almost a cross between a dessert wine and a ale. Will drink again and again.

From notes 11/28/10. Served from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Golden hue, one cm white head with fine bubbles that faded quickly, and a small amount of lacing that doesn't stay around.

S- White grape juice, honey, saffron on the back, faint banana.

T/M- Sweet, light/medium body, with a somewhat dry finish.

D- Really good. Clean taste that pleases the palate. The initial reason I was hesitant to try this was the $15 price tag for a four-pack of a style I am unfamiliar with. I am glad that I caved because it is great. the alcohol presence is covered well and the ancient ale concept is really cool. I think this would pair well with any kind of fruit based or lighter dessert.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottle poured into a DFH Snifter Glass. 2008 Maltage

A- Pours a nice dark honey orange with a yellow base. Not to much head on this one, just a nice rim around the glass.

S- Sweet malts with a nice sour grape presence. Definitely a slight honey sweetness in there that slightly masks the alcohol.

T- Real sweet barley malts with a known honey presence in there that blends well with the sour like grape flavors.

M- Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation left and a pretty wet slightly bitter finish.

SkÅL!

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

These are my review notes after opening up a 12 oz. bottle of the Midas Touch tonight and pouring it into a 16oz. Guinness glass (it was my only clean glass!).

Appearance: Golden, semi-translucent with a small white head which quickly dissipated. Decent Lacing.

Smell: I caught mostly the aroma of sweet honey mixed with mild malty undertones. Pleasant, but nothing special.

Taste: Initially, the beer was still pretty cold and I mostly picked up on fruity mid-tones and a slight residual taste of bready malts. As the beer warmed up, the taste of honey became more prevalent with mild hints of grape in middle and a more pronounced finish of sweeter malts. Although 9% abv, the taste of alcohol was very faint. In all it had a unique and enjoyable taste profile.

Mouth-feel: Nothing to write home about. Not overwhelming, mostly clean but nothing really stuck. As previously noted, the alcohol was not very pronounced but I could feel a slight warming in the back of my throat.

Drinkability: As the beer opened up, I found myself enjoying it much more. I could see myself drinking another after the first but likely not another past that.

Overall, I found the Midas Touch a uniquely enjoyable beer with an interesting flavor profile. It leaves a few things to be desired but definitely worth a try in my opinion.

2.87/5  rDev -23.1%

Meh. I was looking forward to this one but it was kind of a let down...

Looks golden with a white head.

Smells really interesting, like grapes(!) and beer.

This is where I got kinda upset: it tastes like blue point blueberry ale, except instead of blueberries, there's an awkward unpleasant spiciness with some mixed in grape flavor. After the first few sips I could get some residual honey flavor on my tongue, but as the beer warmed I stopped tasting it. Then it started tasting like alcohol and nasty bitterness.

Feels like beer in my mouth, fine bubbles maybe?

Nothing about this beer makes it particularly pleasant to drink.

Overall, I like the flavor of Steel Reserve Malt Liquor more than this (and in all honesty, as a craft brew drinker, steel reserve is NOT BAD AT ALL! try it some time).

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a nice clear pale orange color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV and date of bottling on the label. Little to no head, with the aroma being high on honey. Mild carbonation and little to no lacing. The taste is a blend of honey and hint of saffron with a sweet yet fruity and tart aftertaste. It is a complex blend of flavors that mask the high ABV very well. Drinkability is very good, with a nice crisp finish. Another interesting brew from Dogfish Head; they keep churning out interesting brews to keep the palate guessing. Absolutely worth a try.

2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

A: Hazy and cloudy golden yellow. Hardly any head, moderate lacing.

S: White grapes and honey malts. Lighter fruits like apples and pears are present as well. Almost smells like chardonnay, also. The aroma of honey seems possibly fermented or aged.

T: Tastes like apple cider mixed with chardonnay. The honey, apples, and grapes are all there, but it's turns out to be a very flat flavor in my opinion. Hardly any bitterness, and it's sweetness and maltiness is absurdly light. Practically no aftertaste. ABV isn't apparent whatsoever.

M: A bit dry, mildly tart. moderate carbonation, medium body

D: Like drinking a wine rather than beer. BUT. It's even easier to drink thank wine, so beware.

3.24/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not Impressed. Different and complex, just not what the hype had led me to believe. Not to say it was bad, just not a go to for me.

A- Mildly dark golden. White head that goes away quickly

S- Good. Really good, an odd grape aroma with hints of light milk chocolate

T- Let down. The grapes came through a little too bitter for me with a bite on the end that wasn't ETOH but something else. Maybe a slight honey tinge, but nothing beyond. Mostly bitter grapes to me

M- A tad too tart

D- I didn't hate pushing through the 4 pack, but I didn't relish it either

4.73/5  rDev +26.8%

I just really enjoy this beer, I wasn't sure at first...but didnt have a glass with me so I had to drink it out of the bottle. When I drank the other 3 in the pack I used a pint glass, and it was SOO much better. In the glass it definately brought out the different depths. I could definately sense the "dryness", and got a touch of the saffron. I couldnt really taste any melon or papaya (that was in the description). Just a good brew!

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Appears a clear golden color with a white, foamy head that doesn't stick around for too long, but does leave a small amount of lacing.

The aroma has hints of grapes, alcohol and malts. It is a sweet aroma and has a good complexity to it. The taste is definitely on the sweet side, full of grapes, honey and the malts. There is a slight bitterness in the back of the taste and definitely a slight alcohol burn in the end. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for a 9% ABV brew.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, but on the full side. There is a low amount of carbonation and finishes dry. This is a beer that you have to sip. Not something that goes down extremely easily, but it is definitely enjoyable.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery