Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Ratings: 4,878 |  Reviews: 1,664
4.72/5  rDev +26.2%

Wow! This seems more like a desert beer. Very sweet. Complex and unique to say the least. I can't really even describe it. This has to be one of the best "sweet" beers I've had, if you consider it beer at all. Very pricy at about four dollars a 12oz. bottle. In my opinion it would be the perfect beer after a heavy meal to finish the night. At 9% ABV three or four and you'll finish the night right with a great desert finisher. Would go great with multiple deserts like heavy chocolate, cheese cake, etc... Only a 4 on drinkability because I think more than 3-4 would overwhelm most. In my opinion this is a classic, true, above average cutting edge brew that challenges the norms of beer making. A must try at least once.

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$2.99 / ea.

A: Bright amber body with red highlights topped with a small loose head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace and only a ring of cover.

S: Extremely sweet aroma. Grapes and cotton candy. No hop aromas.

T: Overpoweringly sweet. Grapes and herbal honey. Slight alcohol in the background. Not balanced in any sense.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Slight carbonic bite, and smooth body compliments of a sugar coated tongue.

D: One 12 oz. bottle is way more than enough. The sweetness is distracting and makes it difficult to detect any nuance.

O: Really disappointed with this one.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Ap. Beautiful dark golden color with a nice, but quick head.
Sm. Not much. Some hops/grapefruit. Some spice.
Ta. Spiciness, cloves?. smooth and sweet finish.
Mf. Kind of sweet and creamy.
Dr. One is good, but I'll save the others for another night. So, I guess my inability to come up with 250 words is some indication of the nature of the beer.

3.18/5  rDev -15%

Picked up a bottle of this at my local shop. Date on the bottle was marked for June, four months old, it should be OK with the ABV.

A - Poured a nice light amber with no head to speak of. Kind of boring.

S - In the nose, mostly alcohol, with just a touch of grape juice and a pinch (if any maybe the label is just making the smell for me) of honey

T - Blech. I guess I don't like grape beer! Taste like the lightest wine I ever drank and reminds me of why I hate wine, due to their ability to cover up the ABV with the taste of grapes. Even with four months on this beer the alcohol presence is high. It really was a lighter version of Otter Creek Quercus Vitis Humulus, which I hated so much because it taste like Vodka. No notes of honey or any spices to speak of!

M - Very heavy and a definite sipper! If you try to take any more than a sip, BAM! Vodka taste will make you choke.

D - Regardless of how much I hated it and how even by the end the taste never evened out, I applaud dogfish head for creating a beer little have tackled. It wasn't so bad that it would have been a drain poor but for the price I could have gotten something heavier, better tasting, and with more covered up Alcohol. Only drink this if you love wine!

4.11/5  rDev +9.9%

Taken during hurricane "alex". Served in a bayern-pilsener glass. Look: Amber right color, thin and creamy foam head, good lacing, head lasts forever. Smell: Green grapes and honey. Taste: Cascade of spices and spicy hops, some alcohol too. Mouthfeel: Fruity and spicy, viscous body, evident the abv. Drinkability: A beer with a lot of grapes and alcohol, i liked watching the rain.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

A - pours a straw yellow without much head to speak of

S - white grapes, honey, and some

T - the taste is very sweet - lots of grapes, some pears and apple flavors, the honey is also detectable. There isn't a ton going on here, but the flavors present are all really nice and work together well.

M - the 9% abv is barely detectable under this; a little thin with average carbonation.

D - this was a cool beer to try. Obviously, I haven't had anything similar to this before, but really enjoyed it. It was almost like a white wine / triple combination. I would definitely buy this again.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours clear golden yellow with one and a half finger soapy head that dissipates quite quickly.

In terms of smell I get honey, tons of white grape, apple, and a bit of pear, along with some alcohol. Smell is quite good although the fruit notes definitely predominate, almost smells like a white wine.

The taste is a fair bit different from the smell. I get far more honey in the taste with some white grape and green apple, and certain cidery quality to the beer. Also I get distinctive floral bitterness which seems to be a combination of the alcohol and the saffron. I quite enjoyed the taste, although it is quite sweet. The taste moves from honey sweetness, to dry cidery apple and white grape to a floral bitterness at the end.

This beer is quite dry, although a bit sticky. The mouthfeel is pretty good, but there is hardly any carbonation, so some may feel that it is flat, but given what this beer it was still pretty good.

Drinkability is where this beer loses some points. Very enjoyable in small quantities, but the honey sweetness is a little much and means that one bottle of this can be a little bit difficult to finish. If one split a bottle between two or three this would work well as a dessert drink or possibly as an apperitif.

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Good one to two finger head that dissipated rather quickly. Clear golden hue. Leaves a decent lacing.

S: The honey comes through the most, along with malt and hops. There are plenty of alcohol esters in the nose.

T: Honey and an almost muscatel grape flavor come forward with a healthy dose of alcohol. Some earthy undertones likely brought forward by the hint of saffron. I don't get much of the barley. Slight bit of hops attempts to balance the sweetness, but doesn't really have a chance--they were difficult to detect. Some spices there, a bit of allspice and maybe coriander. The alcohol is very dominant toward the end.

M: Rather thin with a tad of creaminess that follows to a dry finish.

O: A combination of high ABV and strong flavor makes this a "one and move on" type of beer. It'd be best as a night cap.

4.82/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours a hazy orange yellow color with a thin white head and good lacing. Smells of muscat grapes, saffron, white wine, malts. Godly. Tastes sweet from muscat grapes, saffron, some citrus. Hops are there but they only lighten the sweetness just a tad. Mouthfeel is exceptional and drinkability is insane. One could drink half a gallon. Not good for your liver that it tastes so awesome.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Served in a DFH Shaped Pint Glass

A: Pours a beautiful golden color with a slightly murky quality to it. Pours with a nice thick foamy head and leaves a wonderful lining of lacing.

S: Has a very sweet smelling scent that gives a nice hint of the grapes used in creating the brew

T: One of the most unique tasting brews ive ever had. The taste contributed by the grapes is delightful and makes the brew quite sweet

M: Not much to comment on here

D: Very easy to drink brew and the sweetness does not over power the taste as I initially thought it might.

Overall a great brew as ive come to expect from DFH, Probably my third favorite of theirs behind 60 min ipa and their IBA respectively.

4.56/5  rDev +21.9%

This beer poured a very nice dark golden color with a small head that left not lacing on the glass. the color was also surprisingly transparent, which I thought made it look really appealing. You could smell the yeast and maybe a hint of alcohol. The first sip took me very much by surprise. It is malty and sweet, but not too sweet. It was a nice change of pace to what I have been drinking lately. You can really taste the honey in this beer, and it gives it a very nice sweet finish. You can taste the alcohol just a wee bit in there too. I was actually surprised when I looked and saw that this beer was 9% because it is definetly hidden well in this which is also surprising since it is such a nice easy going beer. The mouthfeel was great on this, it coated the mouth nicely, had a nice medium body, and decent carbonation. The drinkability of this beer is just awesome. I could drink these all day. I will for sure be drinking more of these in the not too distant future.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

12 oz bottled 5/18/10

Pours a rich hazy golden amber. Minimal head and no lacing apparant.
The nose is a bit boozy upfront, sweet malts reach out and the ingrediants of grapes and honey can be detected.
The sip yeilds a similar blast of taste expected from the smell. While the alcohol smell is still present this is pretty smooth on the palatte, you'd think it'd be a sipper but it's surprisingly easy to drink. Sweet in the mouth, finishes quick and slightly creamy. Very well hidden 9%. I hope this ages well, and as part of the Ancient Ales series from Dogfish Head I'm sure it can only get better!
Overall this has a high drinkability, pick up a 4 pack and dip in every 6 months; that's my plan anyways.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Brilliant yellow with a slight orange tint. Thick foamy head.

S - Grapes and honey hit you right off.

T - Grass, Honey, and grapes just like the label promises.

M - Light while still silky.

D - Middling

Too close to a fruity white wine for me. I appreciate the beer for what it is, but not for me. Will explore again I'm sure.

3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

Appears like a flat Belgian pale strong, so below average carbonation, but does manage to pop a small 2 mm head that quickly settles down to filmy lacing. Clear and an orange the color of pumpkin guts. No yeast in the bottle and that coupled with flavor compounds of the grapes and spices means to me don't bother aging this one despite the high alcohol.

Fruity reminiscent of grape, yet more than that. Gets into some pineapple and white wine aromas. A little bit of butter and banana like esters from the yeast. Saffron? I don't smell any, but then again I have no idea what to expect so perhaps I am missing it.

Soft and velvety...and that's the flavor I'm talking about. Alcohol is drying and sharp, not hot, and is balanced fairly well. Hops are secondary in that they support the flavor nd I think I detect some delicate, floral, spicy Eastern Euro type hop, or a mellow equivalent thereof. Vinous, sweet and bitter, what begins as a sip of flowers and wine regresses to straw and Franzia white wine as it warms.

So dry that the top of my tongue is tingling.

Meh. The first sip was great, no joke, but it just degrades with every warmer sip as each change in degree brings out the alcohol more and more. They must have used a crap load of honey to clear this one up so much. Were any specialty grains used at all? Am I tasting saffron? Is it really worth trying to taste for?

4.04/5  rDev +8%

A- Ranges from lemonade yellow to a deep amber color. Clear. Good carbonation, but not much head to be spoken of.

S- Superb. More honey than I can recall smelling in any beer, grapes and decent spicing, all backed by floral hops.

T- Strikingly sweet from the beginning. Hops are evident, but don't provide too much balance. Honey and grapes keep it sweet, and it's definitely wine-like with not only the flavor, but some little notes of the alcohol heat as well. Is more on the sweet side, but some of the sweetness gets subdued as the hops play a bigger part in the aftertaste. Buttery notes have a place in this as well.

M- Medium to thin mouthfeel which is carbonated well, and slightly creamy. Feels a little rough on the tongue with the thin body vs high carb balance.

D- More of a unique beer, and not one I would consider buying in bulk. It has some qualities that I really enjoyed, and I love seeing breweries mix things up, but this brew just seemed a little far off and too far on the sweet side for me. On the other hand, for a herbal/spiced beer, it's one of my favorites. If that's your thing, I think you'll like this one. A good effort, but not completely my cup of tea.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Golden with a haze to it. Decent head at pour, settling down to a 1/4" layer of mostly cream to white colored foam

S - Honey, grapes, not a whole bunch else

T - Reminded me of a Gewurztraminer wine, but more malty. Also had the honey smell come through in the taste as well. There was a little bit of alcohol presence, but that's understandable given the ABV content. Not overwhelming though.

M - Not overly carbonated but smooth with little or no aftertaste

D - It has it's time and place. For me, I'd love to work on pairing this with food. Maybe Thai? I think I'd prefer it as a nice departure from my normal beers without getting something ridiculously strange.

12oz bottle into snifter.
A: A bright, light golden body is poured with a white head that settles rather quickly. A slow and steady stream of carbonation is present. The head holds to a very thin layer, but does not completely leave. The lace is small patterns on the glass.

S: A very fresh and piney aroma, one that makes me think of a Belgian Tripel. The grapes are adding a tart finish one the aroma. The nose almost has a bit of a woody note, that is found in no other aspect of the brew besides the aroma.

T/M: The initial sip brings a sweetness that is matched by a yeasty note that holds many Belgian flavors. This is very interesting, on one side of the taste, the front it is very light and on the other, the finish it gains thickness and shows a bit of boozyness. The mouthfeel is very nice, one that shows a bit of body, but is still very light and drinkable.

D: This is a very good beer in regard to flavor profiles and overall drinkability. I feel that I would have a hard time drinking a few of these as I would get rather bored with the strange taste that is a relic of the past. I love what DFH has done with these ancient beers, and do like this one, but a very nice beer to try, not to session.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

P- Into a burgundy glass. A ruddy golden-brown. No head. No carbonation.

N- Sweet. Spicy. Woody. Honeysuckle and jasmine.

T- Sweet. Citrus-y and spicy. An earthy sweetness of yams and honey with heavy notes of honeysuckle and white wine grapes- muscat, obviously.

Many layers of flavor. Fruity apple (fall), clove and nutmeg (winter), floral notes (spring) and orange blossom honey (summer).

Overall, drinkability was rather nice. Could have done with more hoppiness.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Considering how many people I've broken in on this beer - both draft and bottle - I cannot beleive I never reviewed it. So here we go.

Into a tulip, initially pours a large soapy head that reemerges big and thick upon agitation, with pretty dancing bubbles as I tilt; all of this happening on a nice golden body.

Aromas primarily of bubble gum, honey, and a slight degree of that saffron smell. Not too bad but not highly intense.

Tastes of bubblegum, with some mild spiciness and a whole lot of sweetness from the honey and grapes. Exhibits a bit of booziness, but with a 9% ABV that's understandable.

Mouthfeel is thin, with very little body. And that's a damn shame because I think the flavors could be improved by a more moderate thickness on the palate.

Overall, I am mildly ambiguous on Midas Touch. On the one hand, it's decent. On the other hand there's enough of a balance here, as well as the sentimental value of it being an ancient recipe to make it something I occasionally indulge in, and recommend greatly to beer newbies.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep gold with a minimal head that does leave a bit of fine lace. First bottle was cloudy, but second (aged several months more) was clear.

S: Grapes, honey, and DFH yeast. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was drinking a mead (a pyment, if you will)!

T: It's got a taste somewhere in the intersection of wine, mead, and ale. The front and center are sweet alcohol, but the finish and aftertaste open up a whole different world. This is a rare beer that actually has aromas come up the back of the palate into the nasal passage. That's where I note the saffron and spicy notes.

M: Warming for certain, but the carbonation isn't absent, so the effect is lighter and a bit more champagne-like. (As an Illini, I nearly wrote Champaign.)

D: If I put away several of these, I'd have to say "bekos", too. (Look up your linguistic history.)

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours golden with a smallish head. Definately some sediment swimming around in this one. Expected it to be darker for some reason.

S-Sweet and fruity. Grapes are quite evident which makes me think of wine. Its spicy smelling and there's honey in there too. Booze isn't too evident.

T-Grapes, honey, spices like the nose. Booze is much more powerful here. Pretty strong taste. Richly sweet. Almost sticky.

M-Medium bodied. Sticky yet light as well. Odd.

D-Not very drinkable in my opinion. A bit too boozey combined with the fact that I simply am not in love with the taste.

Well worth a try, and the beer itself is a very interesting idea. It just doesn't hit me right.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

Serving type - Bottle

APpearance - Mellow yellow, looks like a pisner, Very little head

Smell - Sour grapes, honey, Some odd spices, yea, this is right on for a dogfish head beer.

Taste - Just like the smell, sour grapes and honey. This reminds me of mead. The alcohol is present, as is the spices. This is pretty good, and different

Mouthfeel - Pretty intense on mouth. The spices make mouth tingle, the alcohol makes tounge burn, then the honey smooths it all out.

Drinkabilty - Well, i must say this was alot better then i figured. Its different and fun to drink on occassion. High alcohol also wont let you drink too many. Would sample again in a few months. Would love to have some homemade authentic mead to match this up with.

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

King Mida had taste, and I'm glad to see that he supported craft breweries as well.

A: All hilarity aside... This is a pretty standard appearance. A slightly cloudy and slightly orange tint to what is the base of any standard aple ale. Slightly carbonated with about 2 fingers of frothy white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Extremely well balanced but a little too weak. Bitter hops offset and compliment the sweeter smells of honey and grapes almost perfectly. The honey is strong but there's a flowery side to it. If you do something this well though, it should be bolder.

T: The sweeter aspects really dominate. Honey and grapes and apple overwhelm your mouth right away before yielding slightly to the more bitter hops and some saffron and also an achohol taste. It's actually a bit diarming how strong these flavors are. It's extremely interesting and not bad at all, but I feel like these ingrediants are competing with instead of complimenting each other and thus the beer lacks balance.

M: An appropriatly thin but somewhat substantial feel is great for this beer. The carbonation is very present and helps the flavors pop.

D: I think I let this age a little too long (about 2.5 weeks) and the alcohol is a little stronger than I remember, but even so, the beer holds up. But this beer is very drinkable for its 9% abv and is just fun to have. Once again DFH, an interesting concept leads to an interesting beer that's almost great.

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Appropriately golden, slight haze. A slight head quickly fades. Almost no bubbles within.

S: Faint grain (like wheat) with a background sweetness reminiscent of white grape juice.

T: Great! Crisp, with lots of different flavours. Mostly sweet...the label lists "barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron." Grapes are most noticeable, followed by honey. Barley grain is most evident on the aftertaste, which is otherwise bland. All-around, good beer!

M: Either carbonation or elusive saffron keeps the senses alert. Titillating and excellent.

D: Insanely drinkable! Very easy and light. Wait a minute...this beer is 9%!? Unbelievable. Honestly, I would have never guessed. Midas Touch is highly recommended; I will definitely buy again.

Notes [from the website]: "This recipe is the actual oldest-known fermented beverage in the world! It is an ancient Turkish recipe using the original ingredients from the 2700 year old drinking vessels discovered in the tomb of King Midas." That's pretty damn cool if you ask me.

3.61/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tall thin glass.

Pours with two fingers of white fluffy head over a luminescent gold crystal clear body. Great lacing. An astounding amount of small and medium bubbles are rising to replenish the head. Wonderful showing. If ever a beer looked like a golden elixir this is it. Just fantastic bubbles and color. Maybe the Saffron aided in this beautiful gold?

Has the nose of an imperial pilsner, with noble hop twang and lots of singular clean malts. Subtle notes of vanilla, but nothing that indicates this is a herbed/spiced beer. If I had not seen the bottle I would be thinking at this point that this was a pilsner or imperial lager.

Upon first taste I get something very much like a imperial pilsner with honey added. Tastes sweeter than almost any non-fruit beer I have ever had. Mingling with this honey-sweet is some noticeable alcohol, but it is just hidden enough to not detract. This could be even better if it were either lower ABV or the alcohol was more hidden. Never too sweet, which is an accomplishment because this is pretty sweet and sugary.

Feels distinctly of honey in the aftertaste. I can not liken it to anything but honey, and if you have never eaten straight honey before you should so that you know what I am talking about. Interesting. Otherwise this is a medium bodied beer with a fine texture and pleasing washing affect.

Good drinkability as it is, but could be amazing if it were lower ABV or the alcohol was more hidden.

Conslusion: An interesting beer for sure, and not a bad one at that. I can find no fault except the higher ABV, but as this may be a bonus to some, I will not detract any points for it. I don't taste the other ingredients listed on the label, only honey. I do taste something else I think, but I can't put a finger on it. Good job once again Dogfish Head...

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery