Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Ratings: 4,855 |  Reviews: 1,662

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.81/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer is probably getting a slight boost in scores - unconsciously - because I generally really like Dogfish Head. This one, not so much.

Upon pouring in a standard 12 oz. beer glass, the aroma wasn't much of anything, perhaps because the beer was a bit too cold. Now that it has warmed a bit, I do get something that might be considered honey - or maybe it's power of suggestion.

Appearance is... meh. Amber, but at least not as pale as piss. Minimal head that actually does sort of hang around floating on top. Thick white lacing for those who care about that sort of thing.

I can't quite get into the flavor. It's not terrible, but there is something "off" about it. I suppose to a degree it could be described as "winy," as in a kind of sour-ish white wine - a standard sauterne. I just can't pick up any honey notes.

The carbonation is too subdued for my tastes. Mouthfeel borders on watery.

Interesting concept, but - for me - the execution failed.

4.02/5  rDev +7.8%

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev +10.2%

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

It pours a dark amber with a small-ish head with a very short retention. Aroma is fairly sweet, with hints of honey and some citrus. The taste is also sweet (perhaps some bitterness in the background but it's barely noticeable). Fairly rich. Medium to full body.

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass Pours a clear orange-copper body, on the lighter end of the spectrum, one finger white head, good retention, rings of lacing. Smell is distinctively malt-forward but more fruity, gentle than you'd think. Grape must, sweet honey, a bit boozy, caramel and earth. Flavour is a bit weird, more of a boozy caramel sweetness, honey, touch of grape skin, certainly not like a mead but it's sweet and a bit boozy. Light earth finishes things out. Mouthfeel is medium-lighter bodied, sweet and standard medium body, good carbonation. Not my favorite, did finish this but I don't think it would be one I would try to get again. Though if they were drinking a beer like this 2700 years ago, that's pretty cool.

3.84/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic-smelling beer. Maybe substandard appearance and head. Taste has a bit of alcohol but the honey, dark berries, maybe figs are a joy. Very filling and definitely a sipper. Being personally not a fan of Hopslam or Brother Benjamin, and someone who frequently spikes guacamole with honey, I think the use of honey is judicious. I drank only half the bottle one night, and the next night the flavor and smell were more rounded maybe as a result of flatter carbonation.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer pours a clear light amber color.
The head was 1 finger. Dissipated fairly quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising in the glass
The nose has a slight sweetness to it, honey. There's something else I can't put my finger on.
Taste, well, I'm not impressed. There's the harsh alcohol burn. Slight sweetness. Some spices that clash in my opinion with the rest of the beer.
Feel is ok. The harsh alcohol plays into the feel.
Overall, I won't be getting this again. I do not like it, but it isn't a drain pour.

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Great testing ale. Dry, can taste the honey on the back end. Hides the abv.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Amber
Aroma: Sweet honey and spice
Taste: ? Unusual. Honey. Thinking the grapes and barley clash a little. I guess that's what the ancients had to work with!
Finish: sweet and interesting. I like the finish better than the front and mid palate.
Overall: Pretty cool. The history makes it taste better. If I was just going from overall impression blindly I'd say interesting and pretty good but not my cup of ale...but when you add the homage to history it kicks it up to another level of appreciation. I'd drink it again for sure.

3.17/5  rDev -15%

Bottled on Date: 01/28/16
Sampled on: 03/17/17 - Bottle is a little more than a year old.

Look: Pours a somewhat hazy, medium orange color with lively carbonation and a half finger, white head of foam. Leaves no lacing.

Aroma: Pleasant. I'm not getting much saffron or grape - but what I am getting is a malt driven, toffee, caramel and honey aroma with somewhat floral notes of fresh clove in the foreground.

Taste: Right away, there is a slightly tart, sour, semi-sweet white grape, cherry and black berry flavor upfront. It's a little mouth puckering at first but once you get used to it it's actually pretty nice. On the aftertaste I'm getting rich flavors of toffee and honey. In the background very faint notes of sweet, floral, spicy clove and what I guess is saffron - but it has mostly faded with age.

Feel: Medium body with medium carbonation. 9% Abv is there but hidden by a tart, somewhat sweet flavor profile.

Overall: I've been meaning to try this for a long time but I wasn't sure if I would like it so I was unwilling to shell out 15$ for a four pack. I finally found a place that sells singles of Midas Touch, but unfortunately they were all old. Oh well. One day I'll try this again fresh, but as it stands right now this is a pretty odd, slightly unpalatable beer.

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1.41/5  rDev -62.2%

Gross sour, musky, strange taste, though, and a lingering unpleasant aftertaste. I don’t notice any honey or saffron the bottle alleges is there. Possibly the worst beer I’ve ever had.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery