Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,625 | Ratings: 4,711
2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance: Pours out a pale gold color with good clarity. About 1/2" of white head forms that has okay retention. Just a ring of head sticks around long term.

Smell: Smells sweet. Some pale malt, fruitiness and indistinguishable spice comes through as well, but overall just a lot of sweetness.

Taste: Big honey sweetness, malts, spices, and some fruitiness. Not terrible but again, very sweet.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Overall, an interesting beer. Not something I enjoyed that much though.

2.87/5  rDev -22.8%

Meh. I was looking forward to this one but it was kind of a let down...

Looks golden with a white head.

Smells really interesting, like grapes(!) and beer.

This is where I got kinda upset: it tastes like blue point blueberry ale, except instead of blueberries, there's an awkward unpleasant spiciness with some mixed in grape flavor. After the first few sips I could get some residual honey flavor on my tongue, but as the beer warmed I stopped tasting it. Then it started tasting like alcohol and nasty bitterness.

Feels like beer in my mouth, fine bubbles maybe?

Nothing about this beer makes it particularly pleasant to drink.

Overall, I like the flavor of Steel Reserve Malt Liquor more than this (and in all honesty, as a craft brew drinker, steel reserve is NOT BAD AT ALL! try it some time).

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I saw this at my local store and thought it looked good. The description made it sound like the nectar of the gods but it was a hige let down. It looked decent when poured and smelled ok. Lots of grapes and sweetness. But the taste is what killed it. It tasted like grape flavored bud light. The mouthfeel was almost like water. I was severely disappointed.

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date reading 04/23/2012, so this beer is approaching it's first birthday. If this beer proves unfruitful, I might have to pick up a fresher bottle and see what the difference is. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Fairly aggressive pour yields about a quarter inch of rapidly dissolving white fizzy head. Body color is light gold, almost a pilsner color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Looks pretty nice, indeed.

S - Smell is of barley, yeast, honey, and some must. Almost a faint brettanomyces smell coming out of this one, also. Not a very powerful smelling beer.

T - Bleh. Sweet, smooth honey-like taste gives way to the malted barley. Definitely has something of a pilsner like taste to it. Aftertaste is comprised of corn & grain, with a bit of alcohol heat and a hint of champagne-like sweetness from the white muscat grapes. In a way, it tastes like a thick heavy malt liquor.

M - Feel is clean, a bit sticky, some alcohol warmth hanging out. A dry, wine-like finish.

Overall, one of the worst beers I have had from Dogfish Head, if not the worst. There are some nice, subtle wine-like characteristics to this beer, but it falls flat in it's attempt. Too much malted barley taste, for my liking, and not enough honey and grapes. Pleasant warming 9.00% abv isn't enough to save this attempt. I appreciate what they're trying to do with their ancient ales, but this is not one I will be trying again any time soon.

Dogfish Head Midas Touch ---3/5.

2.86/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Poured 12 oz bottle into oversized wine glass. 1 finger of head that quickly diminishes, with a mute pink-orange color.

S - Smells of grapes and fruit. Does not smell like a beer, very wine-y.

T - Instantly can taste the Muscat Grapes. Very weird for a beer, slight sweet taste of honey. Very sweet, something that I'd drink as a dessert beer on a special occassion. Taste of grape throughout the whole palate. I don't pick up any Saffron whatsoever. Drank this one pretty quickly, and the 9% ABV sure does kick in, amidst being very hidden throughout the taste.

M - Very low carbonation, syrupy, laces to the glass.

O - This is a weird beer. Period. I don't even know what to classify it as. Overall the taste is too sweet for my liking and this is something I'd only have once or twice a year, if that. Regardless, you must try this beer to know what it tastes like. I think more carbonation would make this beer better, but other than that it's a beer of its own.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bright golden orange and fairly hazy.

Smells are surprisingly sweet. Honey and mixed fruits, with hints of breads and blended spices.

The flavors start off very sweet. Malts and honey blended with red and green grapes. Almost has a wine like flavor at times. The spices and light biscuit flavors add a well rounded character. However, the beer is ultimately ruined by a thick, artificial sweetener flavor. The aftertaste lingers well after the sip.

The feel is fine, though not refreshing enough to wash away the unpleasant aftertaste.

I enjoy trying experimental beers, and kudos for going outside the box. I just don't feel it's working this time.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours golden with a smallish head. Definately some sediment swimming around in this one. Expected it to be darker for some reason.

S-Sweet and fruity. Grapes are quite evident which makes me think of wine. Its spicy smelling and there's honey in there too. Booze isn't too evident.

T-Grapes, honey, spices like the nose. Booze is much more powerful here. Pretty strong taste. Richly sweet. Almost sticky.

M-Medium bodied. Sticky yet light as well. Odd.

D-Not very drinkable in my opinion. A bit too boozey combined with the fact that I simply am not in love with the taste.

Well worth a try, and the beer itself is a very interesting idea. It just doesn't hit me right.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Considering the price I paid I was hoping for a beverage with "The Midas Touch". Instead I got something that was mediocre at best. Pours out a hazy yellow with a minimal head and very little retention. The smell actually reminded me of adjuncts, not malt or hops. The taste was even on the "hot" side, particularly after the beer warmed a bit and the mouth feel average at best with poor carbonation. Overall it was OK, but just marginally. I am sorry I bought a 4 pack and will be going back to 90 Minute IPA if I want something from DFH. This is not a beer that is worth 3+ bucks a bottle at retail.

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Hazy and cloudy golden yellow. Hardly any head, moderate lacing.

S: White grapes and honey malts. Lighter fruits like apples and pears are present as well. Almost smells like chardonnay, also. The aroma of honey seems possibly fermented or aged.

T: Tastes like apple cider mixed with chardonnay. The honey, apples, and grapes are all there, but it's turns out to be a very flat flavor in my opinion. Hardly any bitterness, and it's sweetness and maltiness is absurdly light. Practically no aftertaste. ABV isn't apparent whatsoever.

M: A bit dry, mildly tart. moderate carbonation, medium body

D: Like drinking a wine rather than beer. BUT. It's even easier to drink thank wine, so beware.

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured into a pint glass. My immediate impression is that this looks like soda. There's a lot of carbonation and the head looks like one you'd find on ginger ale. The color is a pale amber & is quite clear with lots of carbonation bubbles. The smell is almost caustic like solvent or a cleaning product, but beyond that is honey, grapes, & some spice. The taste is the most interesting part of this experience - sweet and spicy. It's nice, but nothing to write home about, reminiscent of a spiced wine spritzer. Mouthfeel is harsh due to the ABV and carbonation. I don't know if I could drink more than one of these - ever. If I caught it on tap, I might give it another shot. Recommendation to avoid.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a light honey almost peach color with just a ring of bubbles around the surface. Hardly any carbonation. These don't osund like good attributes, but this manages to be very aesthetically pleasing. Smells like harsh alcohol, faint grapes, and almost malt liquorish. Sweet grape juice and residual honey is what I get most from the flavor. Not much saffron to note, really. Extremely sweet. Not really that interesting. Thick and slick mothfeel feels apropos for the honey sweetness. Decent flavors but lack of anything really interesting (from a beer with such an interesting concept) really don't make this very drinkable. Too syrupy sweet.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Be warned: It's very sweet.

It smells rancid and doesn't taste much better, though the finish is solid.

I'm a big fan of the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, 90 Minute IPA and Punkin Ale, but Midas Touch is a few tiers below those three for me.

It's cool that they resurrected something ancient that tastes like a lightly carbonated white wine. But I'm not sure why they've chosen to brew this year-round.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured up golden in the glass with tons of bubbles, but only a thin head of foam.
Smelled of grain and grapes, slightly vinegar, and a touch of sweet fruit behind that.
Taste had just a touch of malt over the grape hints, honey was barely noticable, and no saffron. Very wine-like, somewhat tart and astringent. Not a very pleasant tasting beer.
Mouthfeel was very carbonated, tingly and thin to medium.
Not the worst beer to ever cross my lips, but for the price, I'll pass next time.

cheers...

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Midas touch pours a very clear amber color. Lacking ahead, yet carbonation is ample. Smell is pretty clean for the most part. Honey and the white muscat grapes being most prominent, with a sweet saffron aroma in the background.

Damn, this shit is crazy sweet. Almost like indulging yourself in a vat of honey. It's hard to even make out any flavors or subtleties, since the sweetness is way overpowering. (Just had thoughts about drain pour...) Anyways, the honey is very prominent, along with the sweet pale malt. This is just not my type of beer to be honest. Way to sugary tasting for my liking. Maybe this would appeal to women and wine drinkers?

A beer that falls way short of my usual high DFH expectations. I would definitely avoid this one, especially since it's rather expensive.

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Man, this beer is funky. It poured a golden amber color with little head. The smell is like a light beer. The taste reveals a touch of honey and there is also a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is a funny bitter feel. Not a beer I think I will have again. This brewer is putting out some strange brews. This is one of the wilder ones. The alcohol is hidden pretty good.

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

I know this is an historical/experimental beer and I probably should've been more careful when decanting-but the dregs clouded up the pour.

Off-gold appearance with thin head. (Lots of floaties as I mentioned). Smells of honey and grapes.

Sweet taste, a little cloying. White wine grapes and saffron present, some honey and heavy on the alcohol--a little bourbon taste on the finish.

Can't picture having more than one.

2.79/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

At first site with a nice somewhat strong head but later to be paired with a mediocure appearance overall, I expected more from midas touch. The first inhale was of a deep honey mixed with a little spice. I expected the barley to be one of the main features of this beer, but along the lines of the 3rd sip quickly realized this was a beer and white wine match made in heaven. From my personal beer preference it was flat out just too winey for my liking. A giant fan of dogfish at heart...but this one is definitely 60 & 90 minutes apart from the IPA.

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

12 oz bottle stamped 12/01/10.

clear straw color, thin white head fades fast. sweet corn aroma. sorta like an adjunct lager. not a good aroma.

tastes sweet, can definitely pick up the white grapes and honey. a lingering aftertaste. too imbalanced.

medium carbonation, thin to medium body.

disappointed. I swear when I first tried this beer a few years ago that it was much better. odd, but all 4 bottles in this pack taste the same.

2.78/5  rDev -25.3%

Since I rated this “Handcrafted Ancient Ale” much lower than most others, I guess I must be missing something. So, on to the second evaluation:

Head from a vigorous pour is thick, creamy and whitish, and fades quickly. From a normal pour, there is practically no head at all. Color is a yellow golden-orange, no doubt from the saffron. If anything, the nose is unpleasant, reminiscent of a bad macro. There’s something else there, though, an underlying sweetness akin to honey with alcohol, presenting as a mead would. Still, it’s almost musty-smelling.

I really focused on the flavor this time around. It’s not quite so meadish, but the alcohol and honey are definitely there. It’s sweet but not incredibly so. There’s a spiciness I can’t place. That alcohol is definitely there and not as well-integrated as some I’ve tried. (Bornem Triple and Gulden Draak come to mind.) I don’t get the saffron/grapes/etc. flavors some are seeing. Just honey, sweet, and alcohol.Mouth is flat with an alcohol and yeast finish, much like a mead. There’s a metallic/yeast after that is not terribly pleasant.

Drinkability is not that great. First, it’s powerfully flavored and tends to overwhelm the taste buds. Second, it’s got twice the ABV of your garden-variety brew, so a couple go a long way.

Overall: Really, I call this a mead-style brew. They claim to use honey and Muscat grapes, so I guess that’s not surprising. However, I would enjoy a good honey mead more than this barley beer/mead concoction. Also, the price that I paid ($2.75 per bottle) is ridiculous. I think what kills it is the unmasked alcohol. It really detracts from what otherwise would be an intriguing style of beer. This is definitely an interesting and probably unique style of beer. I would recommend trying it once, but I won’t be trying it again.

Hey, I rated it even lower this time around. Ain't that a hoot.

2.76/5  rDev -25.8%

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A: super clear, bright amber colored brew. aggresive pour yields a this wispy head that settles quick with nearly no lacing

S: not really liking this - I cant really get any hopiness out of this - citrusy I guess adulterated with other unknown flavors

T: to me this tastes lousy like a belgian ale. just dont like this a bit.
M: If you can seperate the nasty flavor I guess there's nothing wrong with the mouthfeel.

D: hard to finish this what with the lousy taste.
pity the ancients that had to drink this swill
I will finish in favor of the 9% ABV

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz Bottle poured into a 20 Firestone glass.Poured a golden color with one inch head.Smell is very sweet with a hint of grapefruit.Taste remained me of the time I drank mead.Very sweet.Once again this is one of those times where i can`t recommend this to a beer drinker because it`s more like a mead.It`s just to sweet for me.I have loved all the other Dogfish Head beers I have drank before but this one was not up to there standards.Motley out.

Bottled: 25OCT11

Pours golden with a transient finger of white foam. Excellent clarity. Smells like honey and grain with the slightest hint of white grape juice; sweet nose. Tastes of grain and....belgian yeast flavors. Some metallic and earthy flavors I can't quite put my finger on. Quite sweet flavor as well. Thin with lo carb and a semi dry finish.

Meh.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Bright and gold. Clear, little head with large carbonation that quickly dissipated.

Smell: Not impressive. It smells like a glass of beer you pick up the day after a party and smell for no reason at all. Well, that smell and a hint of light fruitiness.

Taste: The aftertaste is the strongest positive of this beer; it's light, fruity and pleasant. The initial flavor seems too malty and bitter. The high ABV is apparent in the flavor, and the bitterness quickly leaves and there is a subtle introduction of grapes and sweetness. For a quick moment, you wonder if you just drank champagne.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant. Feels fresh and light. Unfortunately that's not a saving grace here.

Overall: I'm disappointed by this Dogfish, and I won't likely buy it again. It tastes pleasant for its ABV, but that's also not a saving grace for a beer. The fruitiness does not do enough for the bitterness and strong taste of alcohol.

2.74/5  rDev -26.3%

Clear orange with a substantial cap of white foam. Head fades rapidly and leaves just a touch of head. Aroma is sickly sweet with a spicy, herbal note. Flavor is sweet and all the ingredients make an appearance. Mouthfeel is good, but sadly the flavor is really unbearable. I really wanted to like this beer because the concept is beyond cool. Sadly it seems there is a reason the recipe was lost for thousands(?) of years.

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought this on a whim as my wife was rushing me and I walked by the singles and grabbed it. $4 a bottle must be good right, ancient beer, who can go wrong. Well this beer did, if that's what you call it. The look was good but once on the nose I was a little disappointed. Then the taste, whoa. WTF, way busy taste of wine, honey and, like paste you ate in kindergarten. I've only poured a few beers out and was temped to pour this in the garden but was able to power through it as I didn't want the ants to enjoy this sweet $4 treat.

I only give it this score because i did drink it but glad I have an DIPA to wash this taste away quickly

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery