Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,633 | Ratings: 4,750
4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Served into a duvel tulip glass at about 40 degrees.
appearance - shows a golden honey in the glass with a white, lacey froth
smell - Some tropical fruit, slight flowers, definite honey - very pretty nose.
taste - Honey, cantalop, tropical fruit, light barley....very smooth for 9% abv. medium finish.
drinkability - There is definitely a right place and time for this brew. However, this is a fantastic beer with a great story and a uniqueness that cannot be matched. I waited 2 years to try this beer...a mistake that I won't make again.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm excited about this one, grapes in the brewing process sounds like an exciting ingredient.

Appearance: Light coppery/orange in color; poured a one finger pillowy white head that quickly disappeared and was left simply as the ring around the surface and an incomplete skim at the top. There appears to be moderate carbonation bubbling throughout and the body is rather clear of sediment or any other type of debris.

Smell: Sweet grapes are very present, and it's reminiscent of a low ABV wine; a sweet smell of malty honey is present; also just a slight scent of alcohol is present as well, but not overpowering at all. I'm giving this a slightly higher rating because of the unique scent given by the grapes, I really feel that scent and presence is going to help set the taste apart from everything else I've tried up to this point.

Taste: Grapes are very present, as is a malty sweetness backed up by the honey that is also used in the brewing process; the sweetness from the grapes, malt and honey is balanced nicely by a bitterness from the hops, and the alcohol is also there, but almost perfectly blended so it's an attribute, not an overpowering essence. Outstanding. There is another flavor that is present, but I can't put my finger on it -- perhaps it is the saffron? I feel like I need to taste saffron on its own prior to making that claim.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is a little conflicted, it wants to dry the palate, likely from the alcohol, but there is also a moderate oily residue that is being left behind; best part of the mouthfeel is the tingle that lingers long after the sip. Once it's all down, the alcohol adds a new dimension as it warms the chest, throat and mouth on the exhale as you can feel it sneaking back up through the breath. Not a heavy beer by any stretch of the imagination in terms of the body -- very refreshing.

Drinkability: I'm going to say moderately high - this is a great tasting beer and it's got a lot of positive attributes to it. The ABV is a little high, but I would defnitely sit down for a couple of these in a sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Sweet, fruity, spicy golden ale. Wonderful crisp mouthfeel with a pleasant carbonation. They give the impression of hoppy bitterness somehow, and the rich tangy flavors balance the sugars. The aroma is like no other, maybe it's the saffron. People usually overdo saffron in recipes, I think, so this is the way to do it. There are not many better strong beers, whatever the style.

I've been enjoying this off and on for years. It was such an eye opener when it first came out. I think you really haven't lived until you've tried it, this is one of the classics that makes modern craft brew so fascinating.

12oz bottle

This "beer" poured a small finger sized white creamy head with a rather clear orange/red hued body. There was a very high level of fine carbonated bubbles rising up.

The nose was actually rather misleading. Fruit, yeast, grapes, raisins, pears, a very very mild honey, a touch of alcohol. It smelled a lot like a mild belgian triple to me.

The taste was fruity and earthy. A bit grainy, but very smooth with this amazing layered overtone of honey. Basically like a triple with fresh honey just floating on top. Medium bodied. Raisins, yeast, malt, bread, fruit, a weird sort of natural earthy feeling. I hate saying it, but almost slimey. Not that it was bad by any means, just an odd sort of mouthfeel.

It ends very smooth with the slight grainy earthy taste.

Overall it's a very interesting beer. Not something I'd go after everyday, but I honestly enjoyed it quite a bit. Fruit, honey, safron, it's a little weird, but imo, a yummy beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I really love this one! It is complex but simple enough to get the major notes of what the beer is going for. I get strong notes of honey and spice which lead into a dry, herbal finish. Its fresh and round with a great balance! I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys drinking chardonnay!

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

I drank one of the Midas Touches a few days ago and really sat with it for half an hour to describe it, analyze it. What struck me was the malt, which I did not notice the first time I drank this beer, because it is essentially a strong golden ale surrounded with some phenomenal ingredients.
The honey gives it a floral aroma and adds some perfume to the palate; the grapes yield a pungent brandy-like flavor late in the swallow or even the aftertaste (complementing the alcohol warmth as it goes down); the saffron just messes with everything giving some complexity throughout the whole drinking experience that keeps your palate working.
The result is a drink that never lapses into one dimension (the way mead does, as much as I like it) and yet also does not exhaust you with too much. There is a harmony of aroma, flavor and after-warmth that is quite pleasant; and in all of that the malt plays first violin. It does not stand out too obtrusively, but without it the rest of the experience would be flat, discordant or uninspiring.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer is extremely well layered. The hints of dry honey up front, strong grape essences in the middle. Touches of saffron in the finish. This is a classic example of what beer used to be before the advent of hops. All the the ingredients used to make this used to be the domain of kings. It's regal and complex.

It is a very rich, thick brew with a decent amount of carbonation. The aromas are just as complex as the flavors, I definately picked out the honey and white grapes.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

A- The pour left very little head, and the head itself was very light and fluffy. The brew ifs very golden and clear in color.

S- Fruit and Saffron mix in a joyous smell that is this beer.

T- Very sweet and the taste of honey and saffron are quite present. Great brew, very sweet and malty at that.

M- Small twinge of carbination, but feels good on the palate.

D- Easy to drink, a definite for the summer time liking.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

I made a horrible mistake not buying more of this today. Hopefully it won't be gone by tomorrow (never seen this before in Orange County).

Pours a golden yellow with a thin white head. Some crust remains, but this not a heavily carbonated beer; just enough to lighten it's deliciously syrupy mouthfeel.

The scent and taste is really more wine/mead than beer. The only types of wines I like are dessert wines, particularly muscatels/moscatos/muscats. Suffice it to say, I enjoy a sweet alchol beverage now and again. This was fantastic. The honey and grape notes combined for a delicious, semi-tropical concoction. Then there's the sense of history; this is about as old a recipe as you're going to find.

Even the wife liked it! It's nice to try something exotic. I can absolutely see how this wouldn't be most beer drinker's cup of tea, but I really dug it.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a limited availability beer and is definitely worth a try!

The color is a clear burnt amber. It was served in a bell-shaped glass. (Think Belgian style)

The scent is unusual for a beer, almost like a wine. The taste is very rich with a warm aftertaste. It reminds me of a cross between a wine/cider more than just a beer. The tast is very complex: according to the label, this "handcrafted ancient ale" has "barley, honey, white muscat grapes, and saffron." The honey, grapes, and saffron are all very distinguishable. If you roll the beer gently around your tongue, you will experience a beer unlike any other in complexity and originality.

An excellent quality beer!

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

After sipping my first Midas, I fell in love with the taste of the muscat grapes. Paired with the sweetness of the honey and the saffron, midas touches taste was balanced, crisp, and on a warm afternoon, a perfect accompaniment.

I would definitely drink more of these, though I do not think they are much of a session beer. This recipe was a hit for DFH

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a three finger white head that leaves some lace. Clear amber color. Slight honey nose. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Smooth, malty and sweet from the honey. Different from anything I have had. Also has grapes and saffron - the ancients had good taste. The high ABV is hidden. $9.95 for a 750ml from Lukes and $3.20 for a 12 oz from Tullys Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a chalice a nice slightly cloudy golden orange color, nice carbonation, there is a very nice small creamy off-white head, which leaves some nice oil slicks/islands and sticky lacing. The nose is malty, sweet, slightly tangy/bitter, yeasty, and slight spice. The taste is very nice consisting of malts, yeast, honey, and some spice's. Medium body, a well rounded and complex brew. Very drinkable, a true to style brew from Dogfish Head, highly recommeded.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. poured into my Stone I.R.S. tulip. Pours golden-copper with a small, fizzy head. Honey, sweet grapes, orange, and lemon fill my nose. The tastr is in segments: honey first, then sweet moscato wine, and hoppy bitterness to finish. It leaves the lips and glass sticky. Magnificently original.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer, the colour is a clear golden. I was quite surprised that this was 9% alcohol, it goes down remarkably smooth. I defiantly get the hint of grape and honey. It leaves a bit of a bitter after taste, which I don't mind at all. The smell I got from it was a musty sweetness, reminds me of a white wine scent. I couldn't taste the saffron, but I could see it having some influence in the colour.

750ml, clear glass, 2002 bottling consumed 8/2006

cloudy brownish-red pour with a thin foam ring and dancing swirls on the surface. deep guava nectar vibe to the appearance here. dotty lacing left behind in trace amounts.

smells very much like a riesling or other boozy, sweet white wine varietal. some cider/sucrose thing happening, reminds me of the people's pint braggot i recently consumed. very unbeerlike, very rich in aroma. faint belgian yeast notes arise with warmth as do some belgian-related fruits.. dates, plums and slight age funk.

first sip brings out the white wine in spades. five year old muscat grapes.. what do you expect? alot less sweet than fresh and alot more interesting. this beer has aged spectacularly without sourness or off flavors. the finish maintains the familiar honey flavors, and brings the majority of the sweetness to the aftertaste. the finish also possesses a previously-unnoticed spice. part licorice, part coriander. odd mix, unsure of what it is. intriguing and adds a nice balance to the sweet fruitiness of this beverage.

not much carbonation but it goes down smooth. leaves some sticky smack on my lips and brings me back for more, even at 9%. i had no problem putting this whole 750 down and i am not ashamed.. this is a damn fine beer. i didn't have any of this vintage fresh.. but if you did, and you think the beer still tastes the same, put a fresh one down. you will reap a bounty after 4-5 years.

thanks rwitter for the opportunity

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%

Let me begin my saying this is one interesting beer, so much so that as much as I enjoyed it, i am still unable to identify some of the exact tastes/smells i am experienceing. That said here is my attempt at a review, i hope it does this amazing liquid justice:

A - amber color w/ large 2 finger head that doen't hold up to long but leaves nice lacing to remember it by

S - Immediate spicy pepper, followed by honey and grapes and some alcohol, and more spices that i can't name. extremely complex.

T very spicy affair, a lot going on here. bunch of sweetness from the fruits, the alcohol presence lets itself be known. this is very very sweet, but not overly so. there is a slight bitterness just to make things interesting. amazing tasting beer!

MF - creamy, very smooth, medium body

D - the only thing holding the drinkability down is the higher abv. because this beer has amazing smell/flavor. (so much so it's hard to narrow down what makes it so great, perhaps i will have to buy more and update my review) must try!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

After a long craft beer drought caused by the budgetary concerns of a recent college graduate I was relieved by a recent windfall which resulted in my acquisition of Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Brewery. I found myself drawn to the concept, after weeks of consuming domestic beer the opportunity to enjoy a brew inspired by one of the earliest breweries had me excited.

After opening the bottle and pouring its contents into a pint glass I found myself intrigued by the amber hues with strong condensation and the thin white had that dissipated rapidly. The scent of honey and flower brought to mind a picture of the earliest sedentary societies and for a moment I envisioned what it would be like if I were to share this brew with them.

Following a toast to those who inspired this recipe I sipped the beer and found myself pleasantly surprised to taste a beer with an actual mouthfeel. While beer aficionados frequently laud those brews with a long mouth feel I tend to believe the abundance of carbonation precludes a mouthfeel on par with what a complex wine can offer. In contrast, this honey heavy concoction has a buttery quality that coats the mouth and makes it a great selection to pair with food.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

I had this beer for the first time years ago when the allure of drinking ancient brew let me smile smugly at my Coors-drinking friends. And when I had a bottle tonight, the recipe still has that mystique for me. Some may say it's the hype but I think it's because it truly is a different beer. For one, I can't decide if it's more like a barleywine or a mead. It pours like an elixer, but more silky, and with a deep gold color. Its taste reminds me of a mead, with a combination of fruity tones, but they are not sweet. At some points it feels like a wine, with a dry grape flavor. It's a complex beer that alters as you drink it, as the temperature changes, and as the alcohol settles in. It's a nice sipping beer, but I think it begs to be paired with something like a stinky cheese.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Rating a bottle at UC's international beer tasting. I've previously had it a few times. Poured clear with a slight honey color. Almost like a BMC. Poured a little thicker than average which would make sense with a higher gravity beer. The first thing I noticed on the taste was the total lack of hops (hooray for a beer recipe that pre-dates the widespread hopping of beer. There is a slight taste of white grapes, similar to a whine with a huge honey follow-up. The honey taste is pretty heavy but the beer is still incredibly drinkable. at $15 per four pack its an occasional drinker at best, but still a personal favorite.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: Golden/clear amber hue

Smell: Wow! White grape juice & Honeysuckle

Taste: Grape, honey, and floral. Slightly bitter on the back of the tongue after you swallow.

Feel: Medium to full-bodied. Low carbonation. Surrprisingly dry for being sweet. Nice balance.

Drinkability: Unique and a nice twist. Almost a cross between a dessert wine and a ale. Will drink again and again.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a hazy golden peach like color with good lacing around the beer. Smells of honey, citrus, white wine and spice. tastes of bread, honey,wine. This beer has just the right amount of carbonation and for being a 9% abv they did a good job of masking it. I will be buying some more of this stuff..

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: A clear, pale, amber, a thin white lacing with a nice foamy ring.

Smell: Mild, some barnyard funkiness, a little malt sweetness.

Taste: A light caramel sweetness, then a little funkiness, a light clove spice, a lingering caramel or raisin sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, light carbonation and very drinkable.

Drinkability: Interesting brew. To me it tastes like it has Belgian sweetness, saison flavor, and hef spice, also some scotch style stickiness.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

I bought this beer with a high level of anticipation. Being a huge fan of Dogfish Head's brews in general, this beer intrigued me from the moment I heard of it. Well, I finally came across it at the Earth Fare in Raleigh, NC, and bought the 4-pack, splitting it with another curious taster.

I poured the beer from its 12oz bottle into a Duvel glass. A thin head appeared, but only briefly, as I examined the contents. The color is golden brown, and the aroma reminded me of Belgian ales.

The taste is superb. Vanilla and honey are perhaps the strongest flavors, with the muscat grape coming in just behind. There's no hiding the alcohol here! At 9% ABV it's sure to be noticed. Again, the sweetness reminds me of Belgian-style ales, but the flavor is quite distinctive. Very malty as well; no hoppy bitterness to speak of. The aftertaste lingers for some time, and I noticed a particularly nutty flavor in the back of the mouth several seconds after swallowing.

I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. It coats the mouth and forces you to taste every aspect of it. I highly recommend this beer, especially to those who enjoy Belgian ales and fortified wines.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Finally got around to watching the great documentary "Beer Wars" and after Dogfish Head's extensive coverage, I decided to go buy a pack of the Midas Touch for the holiday season. I'm glad I did.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a beautiful shade of gold. It's almost an amber color, but not as dirty as a regular amber ale. Very shiny and little head retention, but nonetheless it looks dashing.

Smell is nice and full of herbs, mainly saffron. The hops are lightly delicate and not overpowering whatsoever. Definitely a nice well-rounded smelling brew.

Taste is excellent. For how light this brew is in terms of viscosity, it's very flavorful. With the nice balance of spices and ingredients, this is a highly quenchable beer. Definitely a sipper though.

Mouthfeel is good. Flavor keeps strong retention and doesn't lose its luster. No complaints here.

Drinkability is top notch. While it is a sweet tasting beer, I personally would drink it in cycles. This is a great beer anytime of the year, but it's definitely best around the holidays. My extreme appreciation goes to the makers at Dogfish Head for making such good products. Keep it going!

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery