Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Ratings: 4,845 |  Reviews: 1,658
1.66/5  rDev -55.5%

A- Nothing special on the pour. Decent golden color, some foam, not much retention.

S- Spicy, but not in a good way. More like pungent. Grape smell dominates. I don't think this beer is for me.

T- Putrid. Really very bad. The grape flavor dominates, and to me it tastes more like fake grape flavoring.

M- OK mouthfeel, fairly smooth, but nothing special.

This beer probably seemed like a good idea, but I thought it was really awful. I couldn't even finish it.

1.67/5  rDev -55.2%

Honey, apples juice, a few bubbles, and virtually no head what so ever. Not much to look at.

Grapes, honey, and alcohol. I don't recall honey being in the mix here, but I'm certainly getting a sweet note similar to it. Reminds me of a fruity white wine. Interesting...but not sure what to think of it.

A huge alcohol kick, then white wine and a sweet flavor I cannot place. I have no idea what saffron is so I'll go with that? Wow this is only 9%? I would have guessed 12-13% at least, maybe even 15%. An awful job hiding the alcohol.

This beer has just a touch of carbonation, burns, and is pretty darn thick. Not really creamy.

I had this a few years ago when it first came out, wasn't a fan then but it's been years so I figured I should try again. Well...umm seems first responses don't always change.

A huge applause for the work that dogfish put into this. You can tell from the start they really worked hard to make this stuff. Sadly it's just not for me.

1.69/5  rDev -54.7%

Bottle date is 6-30-10. Pours perfectly see through amber orange, small white head turns to ring and cap. Plenty of slow rising carbonation bubbles.

First thing that comes to mind upon smelling is a bready macro scent. Once it warms it's followed by huge floral notes and sickeningly sweet fruit.

A completely messy, awful mix of flowers, perfume, bread and honey, white wine, finishing with a lingering taste of cheap vodka. Heat burns in my chest like I just had a shitty mixed drink. IT BURNS!!!

I had high hopes for this for some reason. I got about 6oz in before a drainpour which I rarely do. I can't understand how anyone could enjoy this.

1.75/5  rDev -53.1%

1.75/5  rDev -53.1%

1.8/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Chardonay.
Smell: Vinous. Sour apples, yeasty funk.
Taste: Grapes, dill pickles, must.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, no carbonation.
Drinkability: Boozy, sour, old-tasting. Decidedly not for me.
Verdict: This beer was made on a recipe based off of molecular analyzation of the residue inside flasks found in King Midas's tomb. I'm thankful we have come along so far in the millenia that have passed.

1.81/5  rDev -51.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. I know I'm in minority but not a big fan of Dogfish Head but tried keeping open mind.

A: beautiful deep gold color, no head

S: grapes led to faint hop aroma

T: mild grape flavor and not much else

M: full mouthfeel with high carbonation and warmth

D: will only ever drink this one

Overall way too much like wine/champagne for me. I prefer medium to full body ales.

1.96/5  rDev -47.5%

I hope I don't get labeled a beer terrorist for this review, but this beer was not for me. The first thing I noticed was the horrible odor of urine. This beer smells and looks and smells like urine. The taste is a little sweet for my tastes and the flavor of the saffron didn't win me over. This is an resounding "No" from me.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery