Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,627 | Ratings: 4,715
2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured a light amber with a tiny head.

Smell was metallic with some hops, spices and a touch of honey.

Taste was somewhat sweet and honey-like on the front end, but as it moved along the palate the alcohol sting was overwhelming. The beer was so acidic that I had to fight the urge to spit out what I had in my mouth. The aftertaste was quite metallic and had an unpalatable alcohol flavor as well.

The body was rather thin and the beer turned flat very quickly.

I could not bear to finish this drink. The Egyptians may have invented beer but it's obvious that their recipe had changed for a reason. This beer is absolutely retched.

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

*hated it would not buy*

app: looks peachy. nice, no head.

smell: yuck, smells like a rotten pile of fall leaves and burning hair chemicals.

taste: yuck, lots of heffe flavors up front then tastes like a thick macro brew, very unblended, its all over the place no unity of flavors no direction. the after flavor is painful.

mf: fine for such a strange brew.

drinkable?: HA. not in the least, hold your nose and chug this is a mess.

side not for all DFH beers. keep trying, keep going for the weird wild brews, you get em right some times. and at least you are not a follower! CHEERS!

2.28/5  rDev -38.7%

To what guidelines does one review "an ancient ale?"

Thin white head that quickly fades to skim. Clear, honey colored.

Smells of dry dirt, honey and tortilla chips.

Tastes like carbonated corn chips and honey puree.

I started drinking this while reading a book about the Lost Boys of Sudan. I continued drinking it thinking if the Lost Boys can dodge helicopters, starvation, and lions I can finish this beer. Alas, I could not..drainpour.

2.28/5  rDev -38.7%

This "handcrafted ancient ale" (nice ring to it) came out of a 12 oz. bottle. It's hazy amber in color. Head? What head? After about a minute there is barely a tiny bubble in the glass. Nice initial sweet aroma, but with more investigation it readily shifts into weird funky notes. Lots of honey in the taste. Sweetness on your lips, strength in your throat. Practically no carbonation. The taste is all wrong for me. Gold it ain't! This is the second time I am touched by Midas, and I feel just as abused as I did the first time.

One important note: Even though I find this brew undrinkable, I do appreciate DFH's experimentation. And imagining beer-loving Indiana Jones in search of King Midas' tomb to discover the secret of the "ancient ale" is just plain cool! I'll add some extra points to mouthfeel as my way of encouraging DFH's contant search for new and cool ideas in brewing.

2.31/5  rDev -37.9%

This beer might just be a little too off the wall for me.

Pours an orangey color with a bit of cloudy head, the beer is a little hazy. The smell is strong of grape and honey, like juice. The taste is like a very spiked grape juice a bit of a shock to my senses. There is a sense of spice and there is a very warming estery feel from the alcohol. The body has a bit of carbonation to it and is somewhat velvety.

I left the unfinished bottle by bedside in a 60 degree room over night and picked it up again in the morning to find that the grape did mellow out and after a bit of oxidation it was a bit more enjoyable, and drinkable. I don't think I'll go after this again too soon.

2.34/5  rDev -37.1%

Just bad...

The head was just as thick as the beer. The color was just your common red ale color.

The smell was sour, bitter and dry. Never got the smell of honey, grapes or saffron.

Taste was no better. DFH needs to stop trying these funky beers, they just don't seem to be working anymore.

Mouthfeel was thin and "budweiserish"

Drinkability was an EPIC FAILURE (Cue Attack of the Show).

After several bad beers, I have lost almost all hope in DFH for anything besides IIPAs

2.37/5  rDev -36.3%

Pours a thin white head. Color in glass is straw yellow. Nice overall robust spicy smell.
Tastes of bitter hops up front, not so much in a good way. Honey comes through. Alcoholic bite alongside the hop bite.
Seems too sweet. Fine carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel. For some reason, I am not impressed with this offering.
Not my favorite.

Poured into a Stella chalice

A: Pours golden amber with a 1 finger white head that fades quickly. Steady steams of bubbles originate from the bottom.

N: Honey and grapes dominate the nose. Has a spicy character as well.

T: The grapes are overpowering. Has a spicy character I cannot quite put my finger on. Also get a slight floral taste similar to lilac. Alcohol bite is there from beginning to end. It warms as it goes down.

M: Crisp and clean. Goes down a little rough secondary to the heavy alcohol note.

D: Did not care much for this one. The beverage seems confused as to whether it is a beer or a wine. While I like experimental beers, this one just does not do it for me. I find this very similar in aroma and taste to DFH 2008 release of theobroma.

2.38/5  rDev -36%

I love Dogfish beers, but I can't say I feel this one at all. In fact, out of all the DFH beers I've had, this one stands out as my least favorite.

It pours a pretty pale amber color and it smells really good. It's a very unique smell - lots of spice and a whole lot going on. However, this definitely does not translate to great taste. I thought this beer tastes like it has WAY too much going on. I can't get a handle on what flavors are supposed to come through and they all end up mixing together in a pretty unmanagable combination for me.

It has a mouthfeel very similar to a Miller Lite (which I don't think is a real beer) and overall just doesn't work for me. Like I said, I am a HUGE fan of DFH, but I think they missed the mark on this one. But hey, the girl I date likes it, so maybe it's just me.

2.38/5  rDev -36%

Transparent pale yellow color with extremely mild carbonation and little to no head. Very sweet and fruity aroma. Sweet and alcoholic. Malt and fruit like apricot, grape and honey. Some saffron at the top of the palate and end of sip. Honestly, tastes like a bad wine. What you find in 2,700 year old drinking vessels should stay in 2,700 year old drinking vessels.

2.41/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours a nice glowing orange colour (glowing in terms of light refraction). Head was alright, off-white but now gone, leaving a mild cloud on the top and a ring of creamy lace. Slight haze in the body, makes for a pretty good-looking beer, lacking in places.

Nose is incredibly sweet and phenolic. Big whiff of orange marmalade with a hint of bubblegum, some vanilla, crème Anglaise but also a hint of fusel alcohol, which ties the whole thing up in a slightly messy pungency, sweet and strong.

Taste is quite spicy, very sweet. Lots of fruit - rotting fruit even - with orange, banana and pawpaw vying for supremacy. Gets spicy and phenolic midway with muchos black pepper character, a hint of clove, coriander and some mild ethyl alcohol that comes through late giving a noticeable liqueury strength and sweetness on the back. Feels very heavy on the back palate with the sweetness giving way unkindly to the distinct alcohol, tipping the balance and pointing out that there are a lot of flavour shortcomings here. Needs more on the front and less on the back.

Has a stickiness in the mouth reminiscent of a good late harvest botrytis but a lot thinner, and the viscosity adds a lot to the heaviness experienced on the late palate.

Not outright offensive but smacks of unbalance, and overexuberance matched by lack of finesse.

Drinking this beer makes me finally understand why Dogfish Head so frequently polarises people. I appreciate their passion and their esoteric love of all the wonders of beer, but uniqueness doesn't make this a great beer, or even a good beer. God bless them, but frankly if I were given the choice between this and a Corona... well, hmmm... It might make me think about the choice, let's just say that.

2.41/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours very golden in color but with no head. Near flat as far as carbonation is concerned.

Smells quite strange, like stale urine or a cheap macro malt liquor that has sat out all night.

Flavor is overly sweet with nasty dry finish. Nearly unpalatable IMO. I could proabably whip up sugar water that tasted better than this.

DFH certainly experiments a lot and I have read some great reviews of this bier. But as far as my taste buds are concerned, this bier is waaay off the mark.

"Stick to IPA's and Stouts Sam"

Original Rating Date:
September 20, 2008

Super interesting concept from DFH. Aroma smells dry, almost vinous. Taste is super, super dry, also vinous, lots of honey in there also. Overall it's not my style at all and I didn't enjoy it very much, but I can respect it for what it is.

2.42/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a deep, clear orange with a thin head. The head recedes quickly and it leaves some spotty lacing.

It smells kind of awful, like cheap beer and grapes--I'm getting nothing pleasant here.

The flavor is overpowered with grapes, spice, and sweetness. There's also a mild taste of floral honey in there somewhere. It feels a little thick and a little cloying. The grape skin aftertaste lingers on the tongue and can't be washed away with water or cigarettes.

With too much grape and the high ABV, it's not very drinkable. Interesting, yes, but very hard to drink.

2.42/5  rDev -34.9%

Clear golden color. Looks very carbonated. White head. It looks average.

I get a medicinal grape smell and some floral. Smells really sweet and weird.

What a weird taste! Medicinal grape and alcohol. Some floral and citrus. It tastes like when you were a child and got that liquid grape cough medicine. This is way too sweet and it's just not good.

A carbonation bite, approaching medium body. Not a big fan of the feel and makes my lips sticky.

I don't like the taste, the feel and it made my stomach feel ill. Don't like it and will never search for it again.

I'm quite disappointed with this brew from Dogfish Head since I like just about all of their beers. What a letdown.

2.46/5  rDev -33.9%

Not a big fan of the sweetness. I love Dogfish and I was excited about the line of "ancient" beers. Not my thing with the honey but it was pleasing to the eye and had a nice aroma.

2.47/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- clear gold in color, quickly disipating bubbly white head. no lacing.

Smell- grapes and honey are the only aromas I am picking up

Taste- tastes almost like a grape soda or juice, subtle notes of the honey. medicinal as well. at 9% you pick up no alcohol at all! the more I sip, trying to put my finger on the flavor, it tastes like grape big league chew.

Mouthfeel- fairly slick, not alot of carbonation

Overall- this might be the most unique beer I have ever tried. it is based on an ancient receipe and really had no idea what to expect. I am finding it very difficult to describe this, maybe a mead but without the sweetness?

I respect this for what it is. DFH, all around, for what they do, is my favorite brewery, but I just did not like this offering at all.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

I've been waiting to try this for a long time. It has the color and aroma of a standard American Lager. That supprised me a bit. It poured clear with a small head and medium carbonation. I don't quite know how to explain the taste. It seems bitter at first but then changes to a heavy almost stale flavor. I had two and the second one was more palitable than the first. Maybe it is the high alcohol content that gives it the most overpowering flavor. Sort of like an Imperial Stout in that manor.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this brew chilled, poured out in a Leffe goblet that I received in a gift set.

Color was a light to medium amber hue, with a very thin and faint head that rapidly dissipated. Carbonation also appeared light.

The smell was very sweet, reminiscent of a very fruity, low quality wine. White grape dominates and is overpowering, followed by a faint trace of honey.

The mouthfeel was slightly slick, leaving my mouth wet, but with a bitter aftertaste and a sticky feel on the back of the throat. ABV is well-hidden behind a very sweet taste of grapes. The addition of honey is particularly strong once the beer is swallowed, leaving a disgustingly bitter aftertaste that reminds me of the feeling of ingesting cough syrup.

Unfortunately, I felt Midas Touch a bit hard to finish on two seperate occassions. The sweet taste is initially pleasant, very drinkable considering the ABV, but unfortunately the aftertaste is a bit too much for me to continue swallowing.

I love Dogfish Head's brews, but I'm going to have to pass on this one the next time I'm at my local store.

2.51/5  rDev -32.5%

pours a golden color with a decent off white head that doesn't hang.

wow, very sweet on the nose. white grape & cider that has a hint of soap. a very pungent smell that reminds me of the yeast cake at the bottom of a fermenting bucket. odd notes that smell nothing like a beer.

tastes very sweet. white grape juice & spice. can detect the honey and herbs as well. guess the saffron is that strong flavor but really not familiar with that spice. as the beer warms, the grape and alcohol becomes more evident

medium body with lots of carbonation. not a good feel on the mouth

this beer is too sweet to be considered drinkable. I will give DFH credit, they certainly created an "off-centered beer" but this off-centered fella didn't get it.

Photo of
2.52/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Golden, light, fairly transparent. The head is minimal. The carbonation gives an appearance of champagne with the color of apple juice.

S: Sweet grape smell.

T: Very strong muscat flavor. The saffron is lost in the beer. The honey flavor comes through in the end. It reminds me a dry wine.

M: Very carbonated. Larger bubbles, it is not a smooth beer. Normally, this would disagree with me but it works well with the other senses.

O: 3/5, although I do lean toward Tripels and IPAs. It was worth trying but not one of Dogfish Head's better beers. There is too much grape, giving a wine taste without a sweet finish. The carbonation was the most pleasant part of the glass.

2.52/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with Prince Purple colored label containing a fingerprint and no freshness date. Thin, wispy, head that dissolves immediately. Lots of bubbles are active under the surface. Clear, pale gold in color.

Not a whole lot in the smell. Mostly sweetness, I guess due to the honey, but it doesnt smell like honey. Caramel malts and toasty bread.

Not really much in the taste either. I was a little dissappointed. Very sweet. Caramel malts. Slight alcohol tinge. I served cold but I would assume the alcohol would come out more if warm. Kind of cheap lager tasting really. Tastes a lot like a malt liquor or a strong Bud or Coors novelty type beer. Way too sweet and cloying.

Slick feel on the teeth. Fairly full bodied. Average drinkability for a less than average beer. I was very dissappointed in this beer. At almost $12 for a four pack, I feel I was ripped off.

2.53/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I read somewhere that DFH serves this in a snifter so that's what I used. Poured a clear golden old straw color with a finger thick egg shell white head that dissipated quickly to leave a thin medallion of head floating on the surface with a small ring around the edge of the glass. It smelled really sweet, strong barley, a bit of yeast, herbal hops, and honey. Alcohol scent comes in the back of the nose as the beer warms a little.

The taste is barley malts, honey, dark fruits which is probably the grapes but not really clear to me. Alcohol is thinly disguised by the sweetness and herbal hoppyness but definitely still present in the flavor. Leaves a very buttery sweet and syrupy finish. The mouthfeel is watery and fairly light due to the light carbonation but it leaves a sticky watered down honey feeling in the mouth once swallowed.

Overall I wasn't really a fan of this beer. By the end of the glass I was wishing that I had split the bottle with someone as I had gotten sick of the over-the-top sweetness about half of the way through.

2.54/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours brilliantly clear, copper colored, and with a white head that does not last long and leaves no lace.

Aroma strikes me as almost all honey, lots of alcohol, and a little spice hiding in there somewhere, but it's hard to discern what spices. Although they list saffron on the label, I have no idea what flavor saffron is supposed to impart since I have only ever used it sparingly for color. Perhaps that's where the copper color comes from, because based on the flavor and aroma, malt is not contributing much.

The flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma all scream "too young mead" to me. It's hot, harsh, and not something I care to drink again. Perhaps cellared for a year or two it would be wonderful. If I ever buy another bottle, it will be with that in mind.

2.54/5  rDev -31.7%

Consumed at the Tap House over 20 minutes.
Golden appearance, obviously--nothing special. Decent clarity. Thin head falls fast, leaving little lacing.
Buttery sweet scents with mild herbal notes.
Tastes like a honeyed version of the nose with a winey edge. Fairly bland and short.
The mouth is soft and uneventful, contributing to the lack of length in the taste experience. But it's smooth enough to be drinkable with a high alcohol content that's not very noticeable.
Overall, this brew is not much of a beer, and not adoptive of the best qualities of mead, either. A fusion of styles that fizzled.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery