Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,644 | Ratings: 4,787
3.26/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass. This beer pours a clear honey/amber color,the low carbonation produces a thin head that disappears quickly,but leaves some lacing. The nose has a herbal quality with scents of honey,notes of banana and spices. Honey flavor is right up front with sweet grapes following behind. There is also a nice spiciness on the tongue,and a  bready quality. The mouthfeel is medium thick and somewhat oily. This beer has almost no bitterness but somehow avoids being overly sweet and it hides the relatively high ABV very well. Not an everyday brew for me,but a nice change of pace beer.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a frosted pint glass. Poured smoothly to a 1/4" white head. Probably should have used a goblet in hindsight.

A - 1/4" head disappeared quickly. Orange, slightly copper color. Fine carbonation rising throughout a 10 minute delay.

S - white grapes from the start, maybe a touch of cinnamon.

T - sweet hit first, followed by a finish of warm spices and caramel

M - much more full bodied than expected from the look. Carbonation returned with the taste - somewhat fooled by the appearance.

O - good overall, probably best enjoyed post meal, or with a sweet-ish main course.

This is a very complex beer that could be perceived many different ways. I had just finished a spicy Antipasto salad, and I'm sure that influenced my comments.

4.84/5  rDev +30.1%

Alright, this one is just bonkers.

Firstly, massive love to Dogfish for always breaking down tradition and brewing up some unbelievable beers as a result. Midas is no exception, and if anything, establishes the rule. As someone who steers as clearly away from wines as possible, I never thought I could appreciate and downright enjoy something made so similarly to a vino. The aroma and taste somehow marries a bright, citrusy, sweet and fruity character to just enough herbal bitterness to make for a perfect conundrum of complexity. For such a whirlwind of flavor, the body is light and the ABV is deceptively hidden until the tail end of the aftertaste, and even then, the saffron somehow melds it into a pleasant heat. Plus the story here is just radical. Cheers, Sam. Cheers, Dogfish. Keep doing what you do.

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%

The aroma coming off the pour was a lot of fun. It was sweet and spicy and strong... I wanted to just sniff for a while. This looks exactly like a cream soda and has a somewhat similar taste. The honey gives it plenty of sweetness while the grapes steer the flavor. The result is something like grape Bubblicious, but in a restrained, non-offensive way. I couldn't drink too many of these in a session; either the sweetness or the ABV would overwhelm me.

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a yellow-copper color. Initially a good head but dies pretty quickly after pouring. Honey and grapes dominate the smell. The taste is definitely unique. The honey, grapes and saffron mix well with the malt to give a spicy yet sweet taste. The alcohol comes through a bit but isn't so strong as to dominate the flavor. While I enjoy this brew every once and a great while, I found that the novelty has worn off. After trying it again after some time I wasn't nearly as impressed as I was the first time. That said it was nice to sample an interpretation of how beer was in its infancy.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Aroma - Biscuity malt smells hit me first, followed by some grape. The alcohol aromas came through after it warmed up a bit.

Appearance - Clear gold with very little head.

Flavor - This one is very sweet, almost like a dessert wine. The grapes are predominant and the honey is there as well, just as advertised. There is not so much in the way of hops, but I really like the spices that come in and leave a tingle on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and very smooth.

This was an interesting one, but what did I expect from a recipe that is 2700 years old. King Midas approved and so do I.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

The pour has very little head and after about 30 seconds the head is gone altogether. There is very little carbonation, but the taste is good. The white grape is evident along with the barley wine giving it a nice sweetness mixed with bitterness.

It reminds me of a sauvignon blanc with hops. Not the best beer I've had from Dogfish but it's definitely worth a try if you're interested in the whole ancient ale thing.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: clear, honey color, 1 finger head, no lacing on the glass.

S: sweet floral, grape jelly, grape bubblegum.

T: strong honey, grainy-barley, warming on the palate.

M: light to medium bodied, light carbonation

O: this is a unique, straight forward beer. I enjoyed the flavor and consistency. I am surprised that it doesn't have a higher rating on this board. However, perhaps that is because of its simplicity. For me, the smell does not translate into the taste, but I really liked that. I will have this one again, for sure!

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: hazy gold color, not much of a head, good upward carbonation cascade, almost zero lacing

Smell: musty, spices and citrus, can't put my finger on it. Mild cloves? Orange?

Taste: definitely NOT hoppy! Hints of honey or agave. Some sort of fruit and spice I can't identify. Bottle says saffron and white muscat grapes.

Mouthfeel: mildly astringent and dry

I'll admit, I only bought this because it was billed as a "Handcrafted Ancient Ale" and I wanted to try something new that wasn't an IPA, stout, or porter. I liked the aroma and the taste, although I had trouble identifying exactly what it was I was smelling and tasting. The only thing I could reliably identify was honey. I even went and smelled different spices from my spice cabinet to try to narrow it down. The bottle said saffron and white muscat grapes, neither of which I am familiar enough with to make any sort of comment on. At any rate it was enjoyable enough and I was happy to expand my palate with it.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

The 9% gives this beer a nice kick.
Great appearance and an interesting blend of spices.
The label says barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron, but the blend mixes well and and one flavor does not over power any of the others.
A nice change a pace and flavor from a regular beer. If you are interested in trying a "spice" beer, give this one a go. Always a reliable choice, the Dogfish Beer Company.
Enjoy!

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

I encountered an interesting smell as I opened the bottle which reminded me of the smell of dates.

I poured half of the bottle into a white wine glass, despite having beer glassware available, at the suggestion of Dogfish Head's site.

Observed a pale amber color with little head (or visibly apparent carbonation for that matter). There was an...enchanting smell. Smelled like a fruity champagne

The carbonation became apparent at the first sip, medium carbonation I'd say. Interestingly, some sort of flavor (the muscat grapes?) seemed to blanket my tongue, as if I poured something syrupy over it.

After finishing the first half, I poured the other (now somewhat warmer) half into my glass. Still almost no head despite the increased warmth. This half started tasting more like beer. The malt, I think, became more pronounced with the warmth, and the honey starts to come through. The odd blanketing flavor also became less apparent.

Overall and interesting beer. Not my favorite, but I'd have it again.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

As an introduction, I was tremendously excited to try Midas Touch from the first time I heard about it; I wasn't let down.

Pours a slightly hazy, light gold, similar to a Belgian pale. Aroma is reminiscent of white wine, very strong grape character with plenty of alcohol and a mildly peppery spice. Tastes at first of bushels of sweet malt, with a quick detour into boozy spice before resolving into grape and honey sweetness, and a warming finish. Mouthfeel is outstanding, slick and effervescent. Between the complexity and the ABV, it's hard to drink more than a couple, but the first one or two are very good.

4.64/5  rDev +24.7%

I was lucky enough to snag a vintage 2008 bottle at the Fermentation Lounge in Tallahassee Fl. I was hesitant at first, but this was a definite treat.

Appearance - poured a nice deep gold with minimal white/crem colred head and minimal lacing.

Smell - The smell was astonishing. Immediately you smell the grapes. This is a natural muscadine grape scent, not artificial by any means. Following this was the presence of honey and a slightly spiced aromatic. There was not the slightest present of yeastiness or the smell of alcohol. This could only be comparitive to a finely aged wine...EXCEPTIONAL!

Taste - The taste was phenominal as well. Immediately the presence of the grapes is profound followed by a meshing with honey. A slight bitterness blends with the sweetness as to not overwhelm your palate with sweetness. Very smooth with little carbonation.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is very nice and unique. It is medium bodied with a unique wine-like mouth presence. Very little carbonation present on the palate.

Drinkability - I love this beer. It is so unique and so refreshing that you can help to stop at one. I will be buying some bottles to age very soon.

CHEERS!

(Also, I have never had this beer in its fresher state for a new vs. aged comparison. Therefore, my review may greatly differ from a newer dated botle.)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Drinking like the Pharaoh's! I like Dogfish Head, and when I heard about this beer I knew I had to give it a try. Very unique and tasty.

The presentation of the beer is good. Clean, golden, royal.
Both the smell and taste are sincere, and really great at showing the honey, grape, and spice aspects of the brew.

The mouthfeel presents that higher ABV, but remains smooth until the aftertaste hits you with the spice and herb. Overall I will buy this again and appreciated its distinct character.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Had in a 12 oz brown bottle poured into large wine glass.

This beer has a golden, pale, honey color with a little bit of head that lingers for a while and never quite disappears till the last sip.

Doesn't smell as much like saffron and grapes like i was expecting, but i am getting a nice sweet honey smell along with a bit of alcohol on the nose. nothing very special about the smell

I am pleasantly surprised by the taste. they did a nice job of disguising the 9% alcohol. It has a slightly sweet taste, i am definitely getting some flavor from the honey and grape. while the saffron is very low key i am getting some kind of a spicy taste lingering into the after taste.

this beer is extremely drinkable for 9% and while it is not my favorite type of beer i would definitely consider drinking it again.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A: 1/2 fingertip-length head is nice, I'm not a fan of floaters in my beer and I'm trying to figure out why they would be present in this beer. The beer is a bright orange/yellow.

S: Earthy, Earthy, Earthy...It smells like a chardonnay that has had some odd spices and sugars (def honey) added to it. I would swear that this was an odd type of lager before drinking. I'm not a huge fan, but for the style it's probably spot on.

T: Taste matches smell, earthy. Taste lots of spices in the beer, one of which is clearly saffron, but the others are jumbled a bit together. You can taste the honey, but any sweetness is dulled by the spices and light chardonnay flavor. The beer is kind of dull in the front, you start tasting the sweetness in the middle, and the spices really kick in as you sip it down (my favorite part of this beer).

M: Really thin for such a high ABV beer, but with the style, that makes more sense. It's over carbonated, but to each his own. I also think it's too watery.

*This may be the only fruit/spice beer that I've found bearable. I'm still not the biggest fan of this one either, but I'm starting to think I may never like this style. However, I'll rate it according to others I've had in its category. The back-end of this beer's taste is it's highlight, as you get a lot of different flavors. I just never felt like this beer knew where it was going. Also, I would drink this really cold as I enjoyed it less as it heated up (unlike usual).

3.57/5  rDev -4%

Dogfish Head- Midas Touch Golden Elixir
Bottled on: 10/23/09
Just over 6 months old

A- Clear dark honey color with a very small amount of head leaving just a thin ring around the edges. Medium carbonation, this beer almost looks like apple juice.

S- Smells of sweet citrus. As it warmed up the honey and white grape smell really came through.

T-Sweet and citrus taste with a very slight bitter note. Very well balanced in my opinion. The barley stands out in the finish. As it warmed the grape taste shined.

M- It is light and smooth in the mouth. Leaving a light sugary taste. The carbonation on this gives it a fun feel in the mouth.

D- Crisp and refreshing. Smooth and easy to drink.

I love the history of this beer and was glad to try it. I will revisit this one when given the chance.

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in appearance and transparent. Poured somewhat aggressively in an attempt to get a respectable head but the puny head that did form dissipated very quickly, leaving only a spot in the middle and a thin head on the border. A touch of lacing is here.

Smell: White grapes are strongly present, reminding me of white wine. The honey bragged about on the bottle is here but slightly subdued and a spicy after-aroma fills the nostrils as well.

Taste: A wine-like dryness and honey sweetness are the upfront flavors. Seems like a touch of DMC at the very, very end. Something about this brew feels incomplete.

Mouthfeel:This is a good quality to the beer. Just above medium bodied, the beer coats the mouth well and suits the beer well.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Always love Dogfish but sometimes balk at the price point on a four pack...probably wont think twice anymore.

A - Briliant yellow hue that I can only describe as Golden Lab Yellow...Not quite blonde, not quite crayola yellow. Mild lacing with a crisp white foam.

A - Muscat Grapes jump out of the beer right off the bat. Slight sweet honey smell follow with a touch of the hay like saffron.

T - Everything that you smell flows out of the glass an into your mouth. Almost dessert like due to the strong (delicious) grapes with a combination of sweetnedss from the honey, saffron and malt.

M / F - Very smooth and clean. Not overly carbinatted. Really has a slight sweet after taste that is very enjoyable.

D - Very Drinkalble beer if you enjoy the sweet stuff. Higher ABV could sneek up on you if you kept going. Personally would prefer this more as a meal finisher / dessert beer. Another great beer from DFH.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

A-half finger quickly disappears but suds have legs like wine.  Golden butterscotch color.
S-fruit forward with hint of honey.
T-definite barley flavors...not as sweet as it smells.  Very wine like and lacks balance.
M-almost like a flat Proseco...slightly fizzy.
D-decent for the ABV but prefer a good white wine.
O-interesting beer that doesn't live up to the Dogfish stable of beers...give them props for trying something different.
O-C-

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

A friend poured me a 12 oz bottle into a tulip presenting a nice straw colored beverage topped with a gentle loose head that stuck longer than I thought. The smell of this reminds me of breakfast. Fresh baked raisin bread with honey. The taste starts with a tingle of wheat then gently the honey flavor comes in. The carbonation fizzles away in your mouth and as the honey flavor comes out the texture becomes quite creamy. Aftertaste is sweet. This Is an enjoyable beer that's good to chill out with or with a light snack. No huge show or presentation here but a good solid taste that I may seek out again. This seems like something a newcomer to beer would very much enjoy

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A read of the label on this beer tells quite an interesting story of long lost brewing methods and ancient grains. A dramatic tale for what equates to a flavored ale.

The pout results in almost no head, and the color is akin to apple juice. A very fruity nose with the scent of sweet dark grapes.

The taste results in a reminder of the head, with a grape juice taste. A tad hoppy on the finish, but the grape masks much of the other flavors of this brew. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a unique flavor.

A heavy carbonation in this beer which makes it taste more like a candy than a beer, but it's a different taste and worth a sample.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: A quickly eroding head that leaves little remnants of lacing around the maple colored substance.

Smell: Notable honey and ester tones followed by alcohol.

Taste: Wow is this beer complex. Honey and fruit followed by syrupy alcohol tingling.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The carbonation helps diffuse the syrupy feel increasing the beers drinkability. This beers honey syrup notes mimic the characteristics of a Barleywine’s malt character.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%

I'd would have actually rather not given this a score. There really is no parallel in the beer world to compare it with. It is what it is. Dogfish Head always makes unique beer, but not always the most drinkable. But that isn't necessarily the point. Yes, it must be drunk. But it's more of an experience. And Midas Touch is something to be experienced. I can nearly guaranty that you won't be coming back or that you'll easily enjoy it. But give it a try with some friends. It's something to talk about.

The saffron they added to the beer make it a fantastically golden color. Mostly thin and transparent. But it sparkles like pure gold.

It smells of fruit and spice. Heavy alcohol in the nose. Pleasant and intriguing. It draws you in with mystery like an ancient tomb.

The taste takes you in another direction. You can't compare it with another beer. To me, the taste, at least in the front, is strongly similar to a sake or possibly even a rum. The alcohol comes out very strong up front. Grapes, honey and alcohol makes this wine like. Nearly a (cheap) Japanese sake I'd say. But that's misleading. Grape and pear come out pretty well if you can get past the alcohol and spice. There are so many complicated little flavors that your moth tries to lump it all into one sensation.

I'm not sure how much I can actually say to describe it to you. By far not the best beer in the world. But I won't even classify it as a beer. It's entirely out there on its own. I won't enjoy much of it. But I can appreciate everything it is. Disregard the score and just get a bottle. 6 ounces is even a little much, so do share it with your friends. It's an experience to behold.

Note that Midas Touch is another name for grog. A mix of beer, wine, juice and honey. That's actually pretty much what this is.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

A - It was a nice golden color.

S - The smell of honey was the first thing I was able to smell while I poured this.

T - Again, honey stood out, then the booze, a bitter end. There was some other fruit tastes as well, grapes.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - Very easy to drink, and can't wait to get it again. Friends really liked this beer too.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery