Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,627 | Ratings: 4,715
3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

A: 1/2 fingertip-length head is nice, I'm not a fan of floaters in my beer and I'm trying to figure out why they would be present in this beer. The beer is a bright orange/yellow.

S: Earthy, Earthy, Earthy...It smells like a chardonnay that has had some odd spices and sugars (def honey) added to it. I would swear that this was an odd type of lager before drinking. I'm not a huge fan, but for the style it's probably spot on.

T: Taste matches smell, earthy. Taste lots of spices in the beer, one of which is clearly saffron, but the others are jumbled a bit together. You can taste the honey, but any sweetness is dulled by the spices and light chardonnay flavor. The beer is kind of dull in the front, you start tasting the sweetness in the middle, and the spices really kick in as you sip it down (my favorite part of this beer).

M: Really thin for such a high ABV beer, but with the style, that makes more sense. It's over carbonated, but to each his own. I also think it's too watery.

*This may be the only fruit/spice beer that I've found bearable. I'm still not the biggest fan of this one either, but I'm starting to think I may never like this style. However, I'll rate it according to others I've had in its category. The back-end of this beer's taste is it's highlight, as you get a lot of different flavors. I just never felt like this beer knew where it was going. Also, I would drink this really cold as I enjoyed it less as it heated up (unlike usual).

3.57/5  rDev -4%

Dogfish Head- Midas Touch Golden Elixir
Bottled on: 10/23/09
Just over 6 months old

A- Clear dark honey color with a very small amount of head leaving just a thin ring around the edges. Medium carbonation, this beer almost looks like apple juice.

S- Smells of sweet citrus. As it warmed up the honey and white grape smell really came through.

T-Sweet and citrus taste with a very slight bitter note. Very well balanced in my opinion. The barley stands out in the finish. As it warmed the grape taste shined.

M- It is light and smooth in the mouth. Leaving a light sugary taste. The carbonation on this gives it a fun feel in the mouth.

D- Crisp and refreshing. Smooth and easy to drink.

I love the history of this beer and was glad to try it. I will revisit this one when given the chance.

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in appearance and transparent. Poured somewhat aggressively in an attempt to get a respectable head but the puny head that did form dissipated very quickly, leaving only a spot in the middle and a thin head on the border. A touch of lacing is here.

Smell: White grapes are strongly present, reminding me of white wine. The honey bragged about on the bottle is here but slightly subdued and a spicy after-aroma fills the nostrils as well.

Taste: A wine-like dryness and honey sweetness are the upfront flavors. Seems like a touch of DMC at the very, very end. Something about this brew feels incomplete.

Mouthfeel:This is a good quality to the beer. Just above medium bodied, the beer coats the mouth well and suits the beer well.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Always love Dogfish but sometimes balk at the price point on a four pack...probably wont think twice anymore.

A - Briliant yellow hue that I can only describe as Golden Lab Yellow...Not quite blonde, not quite crayola yellow. Mild lacing with a crisp white foam.

A - Muscat Grapes jump out of the beer right off the bat. Slight sweet honey smell follow with a touch of the hay like saffron.

T - Everything that you smell flows out of the glass an into your mouth. Almost dessert like due to the strong (delicious) grapes with a combination of sweetnedss from the honey, saffron and malt.

M / F - Very smooth and clean. Not overly carbinatted. Really has a slight sweet after taste that is very enjoyable.

D - Very Drinkalble beer if you enjoy the sweet stuff. Higher ABV could sneek up on you if you kept going. Personally would prefer this more as a meal finisher / dessert beer. Another great beer from DFH.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

A-half finger quickly disappears but suds have legs like wine.  Golden butterscotch color.
S-fruit forward with hint of honey.
T-definite barley flavors...not as sweet as it smells.  Very wine like and lacks balance.
M-almost like a flat Proseco...slightly fizzy.
D-decent for the ABV but prefer a good white wine.
O-interesting beer that doesn't live up to the Dogfish stable of beers...give them props for trying something different.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

A friend poured me a 12 oz bottle into a tulip presenting a nice straw colored beverage topped with a gentle loose head that stuck longer than I thought. The smell of this reminds me of breakfast. Fresh baked raisin bread with honey. The taste starts with a tingle of wheat then gently the honey flavor comes in. The carbonation fizzles away in your mouth and as the honey flavor comes out the texture becomes quite creamy. Aftertaste is sweet. This Is an enjoyable beer that's good to chill out with or with a light snack. No huge show or presentation here but a good solid taste that I may seek out again. This seems like something a newcomer to beer would very much enjoy

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A read of the label on this beer tells quite an interesting story of long lost brewing methods and ancient grains. A dramatic tale for what equates to a flavored ale.

The pout results in almost no head, and the color is akin to apple juice. A very fruity nose with the scent of sweet dark grapes.

The taste results in a reminder of the head, with a grape juice taste. A tad hoppy on the finish, but the grape masks much of the other flavors of this brew. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a unique flavor.

A heavy carbonation in this beer which makes it taste more like a candy than a beer, but it's a different taste and worth a sample.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: A quickly eroding head that leaves little remnants of lacing around the maple colored substance.

Smell: Notable honey and ester tones followed by alcohol.

Taste: Wow is this beer complex. Honey and fruit followed by syrupy alcohol tingling.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The carbonation helps diffuse the syrupy feel increasing the beers drinkability. This beers honey syrup notes mimic the characteristics of a Barleywine’s malt character.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%

I'd would have actually rather not given this a score. There really is no parallel in the beer world to compare it with. It is what it is. Dogfish Head always makes unique beer, but not always the most drinkable. But that isn't necessarily the point. Yes, it must be drunk. But it's more of an experience. And Midas Touch is something to be experienced. I can nearly guaranty that you won't be coming back or that you'll easily enjoy it. But give it a try with some friends. It's something to talk about.

The saffron they added to the beer make it a fantastically golden color. Mostly thin and transparent. But it sparkles like pure gold.

It smells of fruit and spice. Heavy alcohol in the nose. Pleasant and intriguing. It draws you in with mystery like an ancient tomb.

The taste takes you in another direction. You can't compare it with another beer. To me, the taste, at least in the front, is strongly similar to a sake or possibly even a rum. The alcohol comes out very strong up front. Grapes, honey and alcohol makes this wine like. Nearly a (cheap) Japanese sake I'd say. But that's misleading. Grape and pear come out pretty well if you can get past the alcohol and spice. There are so many complicated little flavors that your moth tries to lump it all into one sensation.

I'm not sure how much I can actually say to describe it to you. By far not the best beer in the world. But I won't even classify it as a beer. It's entirely out there on its own. I won't enjoy much of it. But I can appreciate everything it is. Disregard the score and just get a bottle. 6 ounces is even a little much, so do share it with your friends. It's an experience to behold.

Note that Midas Touch is another name for grog. A mix of beer, wine, juice and honey. That's actually pretty much what this is.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

A - It was a nice golden color.

S - The smell of honey was the first thing I was able to smell while I poured this.

T - Again, honey stood out, then the booze, a bitter end. There was some other fruit tastes as well, grapes.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - Very easy to drink, and can't wait to get it again. Friends really liked this beer too.

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%

Opaque reddish yellow. White head that sticks. Minimal bubbles. Smells like a sweet white wine. Sweet grapes with a musky undertone.

Definite grape flavor, quick hint of bubblegum. Alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is dry and light. Reminds me of champagne. Because of this, I almost expect it to have more carbonation, so it catches me off guard a little.

Very drinkable, were it not for the abv. Personally, I could drink it all night. And I would feel it in the morning. Definitely considering finding this for New Year's eve.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not really a lighter beer guy. I like darker beers in general, ales, stouts and especially good porters, but the description card at BevMo was interesting so I gave this one a go.

Appearance was average. It's a really light beer. It had a decent head on it.

For the beer itself, what a unique twist. It's somewhat sweet, and has a lot of flavor in it, though still really mild. It's not what I usually expect when I see a light beer in a glass (prepare to be bored!). I have a hard time explaining this. I've never really had anything else like this. It's almost like the desert wine of beer, but only about a 10th of the sweetness from a desert wine.

I usually drink 1, maybe 2 beers in given evening if my fridge do not runneth barren. I could easily drink through all 4 that come in the pack at the store if the price tag were not such an obstacle. I think these ran $12.99 for a four pack.

I've also tried the 60 minute IPA from DogFish (I thought it seemed good for what it was, but IPAs are one of the few beers I am still working on acquiring a taste for). It was pretty good, though, which help influence me to grab this one. I am happy I did. I will definitely be buying this again.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

First glance, looks like just another golden ale. However, this beer is great because of the fruity after taste that sticks around.

A: Golden Ale, very minor head

T: Subtle notes of grapes and strawberries.

Finish is memorable as the beer's viscosity is more similar to a dark Belgium than a light ale.

Overall, very good brew.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Honey colored, with a small foam on top and a few bubbles.

S - Very strong, fruity smell. Smells like wine, very little hint of anything beer-y.

T - Not exactly my thing, but pleasant enough. Sweet with lot of honey and some smokiness that comes through.

M - Medium carbonation, so not a huge impression here.

D - For me, I can see having at most, maybe two in a sitting. Like I said, not exactly my thing, but nice for a change.

3.86/5  rDev +3.8%

My introduction to alcohol came in my mid-twenties and through wine, as heretical as that may be to admit on this site, so I'm a late-comer to beer. I left both beer and wine for a considerable time to explore/abuse the fineries(ABV) of scotch, so when I came back to beer and wine, and found The Midas Touch, a marriage of both to some extent, I thought that I'd found perhaps the one beverage to satisfy both needs. Not quite, but very enjoyable just the same.

The alcohol is relatively high, but it certainly doesn't overwhelm the flavor spectrum, which is a well executed balance between the sweetness of a dry dessert wine, and the robust character of a refreshing ale. The safron is difficult to isolate on the tongue, as the beer is nowhere approaching bitter. Perhaps it simply looks good on an ingredient list. The carbonation is just right, and looks good in a glass. If you are in the mood for a beer, drink a traditional beer, as this is rightly considered a hybrid. If you are in the mood for a unique beer, and appreciate wine, then this may be for you.

I always enjoy drinking this beer, but would never spoil the experience by having two consecutively. Not because of the relatively high ABV, but simply because I don't think I would enjoy the unique flavor of the Midas Touch tripping on its own heels. Plus, the romance of drinking a beer of "antiquity" would certainly diminish if it became too familiar. As a tale, the Midas Touch is cautionary; so don't be too greedy: Enjoy, but one at a time.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

I like this one. Coming from Dogfish I expected a little more, then again it's an ancient ale... moving on.

A: Pours a golden clear with a moderate 1/2 finger head. Light lacing.

S: Earthy, maybe a little grape skin.

T: Honey comes out first, a little bit of apple or pear in the middle. Subtle hint of saffron on the finish.

M: Light with mild carbonation.

D: For me, it's a one bottle session. Can't really see myself drinking one after another. Still, a good brew!

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

A - poured a clear, orange w/carmel tints, 2 inch frothy head, reminds me of a filtered wheat beer

S - wheaty, buttery, lemon zest, hint of pepper, dank

T - winey (from the grapes I imagine), sweet, spices, wheat, cereal

M - mild alcohol warming, adequate carbonation, almost no hop bite present, very pleasant slightly buttery aftertaste

D - almost a borderline sessionable brew if a little less sweeter, all in all a very flavorful imaginative creation that I wouldn't hesitate having again

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving Type: bottle poured into clear glass beer mug

Appearance: as gold as midas's urine. white foamy head. lacing after head dissipates. some carbonation.

Smell: spicy fruity smell. maybe a hint of honey sweetness.

Taste: malty and spicy with an alcoholic burn.

Mouthfeel: burns the tongue and throat slightly. a pleasant acoholic burn. some carbonation and medium bodied.

Overall: not a bad beer. good for sipping. very pleasant fruity malty aftertaste.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

The smell really intrigued me, kind of like mead with a little bit grape and malt way in the back. I could have used a lot more hop in this beer, it was kind of sweet and almost bland. All the same, the grape and honey part was really interesting because you could actually taste that aspect, so I want to give them credit for at least that unique aspect, although it is probably my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. I also tried it on tap at Howie & Sons a few weeks later and it tasted a little less sweet with the extra carbonation, but it just didn't change my mind. The batches varied alot it seems to me...

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I bought a four pack of this and it's one of those beers where if it came in more than a four pack it just wouldn't sell. Midas Touch isn't a bad beer, it's just a really, really unique sort of thing that is fun to try but not to drink. I tried keeping in mind that the recipe is like 3000 years old and that the concept of the beer is great but the application is iffy.

Pours fine, golden, hazy, small head if any, but the smell is where it went wrong for me. The sweetness from the honey is just overwhelming and there are just sweets laced everywhere, sweet hops and sweet spices and LOTS OF HONEY, small traces of white wine.

Tastes like that too, a very sweet brew that is overpowered by the honey and coreander, doesn't really allow the fullness of the grape to peer through although the aftertaste is laden with the flavors missing from the initial, just a great sort of expermental that was too dependant on the honey.

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured out of a 12-oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Slightly hazy, golden/orange color. Very light. Slight white head, mostly around the edges but bits of lacing in the middle of the glass.

I can smell a little bit of honey, but mostly it's a huge hit of muscat grape aroma. Sweet.

Tastes pretty boozy, with a little bit of light malt after I swallowed. Quite sweet, not really bitter at all. A little one dimensional.

Medium-bodied, smooth, nice amount of carbonation but not enough to be sharp.

Drinkability isn't bad, considering the high ABV. It would probably be a good beer for people who hate hops.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this. It's a little boring.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: Golden yellow in appearance and looks very carbonated. Had a quickly dissipating half-inch white head poured into a standard pint glass.

Smell: Smells sweet, like grapes, alcohol, and slightly woody.

Taste: Pale malts hit you up front. There seems to be sweetness left over from the grapes and honey with a bit of spice from the saffron. Crisp, clean, tastes like some of the bocks I have had. A well constructed brew. Complex, yet simple. Sweet, yet sophisticated. Alcohol is well hidden for 9% abv and the lightness of the style.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, with a fairly a somewhat dry finish.

Drinkability: I'm not a wine drinker, but you could probably pair this with anything you would pair with white wine. It'd be interesting to cook with for sure. A very drinkable brew in my opinion, but you probably won't be slugging one after another. Sip and savor this one, it grows on you. Try this one out if you get the chance.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Be warned: It's very sweet.

It smells rancid and doesn't taste much better, though the finish is solid.

I'm a big fan of the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, 90 Minute IPA and Punkin Ale, but Midas Touch is a few tiers below those three for me.

It's cool that they resurrected something ancient that tastes like a lightly carbonated white wine. But I'm not sure why they've chosen to brew this year-round.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a very beautiful golden color with an attractive, moderate sized head.

S- One of the best qualities of this beer in my opinion. Smells strongly of honey, and the saffron is also apparent.

T- Tastes... different. This is where the history of this beer becomes apparent. While it weighs in at a fairly hefty 9% ABV, the alcohol taste is surprisingly well hidden by the complexity of the brew. Tastes mostly of grapes; very winy, though not in a bad way.

M- Good mouthfeel. Slightly sticky and definitely heavier than most.

D- This is where this otherwise great beer suffers. It is simply too complex to drink more than one (maybe, MAYBE two) in sitting.

O- Overall, this is a great beer. It definitely opens your eyes to the evolution of beer from the nearly 2,700 year old recipe to the beer we normally consume today.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just had this on tap for the first time and it's even better than the bottled version. Midas has such complex flavors that just tickle every single taste bud. It goes down smooth and leaves a pleasant aftertaste on the tongue. If you see this on draft - GET IT

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery