Liquor De Malt | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

The world's only bottle-conditioned malt liquor, Liquor de Malt is brewed with red, white and blue gourmet corns. These 40-ounce bottles come in a hand-stamped brown paper bag.

Added by Todd on 05-14-2004

1.43/5  rDev -60.6%

Up until I tried Liquor De Malt, I had thought that Dogfish Head was infallible. I have no idea what happened here. I can only hope that I got a bad bottle.

So of course, as soon as I heard about this beer, I HAD to try it. Being a Dogfish Head product, I was certain it would be great. A good-tasting malt liquor? I was all over it, even for $7 per 40oz bottle.

As soon as the cap was cracked, it was bad news. NO HEAD WHATSOEVER. Pale pissy color like a macro lager. My shoulders sag.

Smell? Strangely absent. I guess some of the corn they used was slightly present, but I had to inhale hard. My hopes drop a little lower. I start to get worried.

Taste? THERE WAS NOTHING THERE! My friends I was sharing with this almost gagged as they drank it, but I just swallowed, waiting. Nothing happened. Maybe a very faint corn taste, but it was far in the background. I drank more and more of the 40oz bottle, hoping something was wrong with me, but no, it was the beer.

Between 5 people sharing this bottle, we still did not finish it. Do I need to say more? Not really, but I will. I honestly wish I (well, rather my friend who bought it) could get his $7 refunded. I sincerely hope that there was something wrong with the specific bottle we got. I can not imagine otherwise - that Dogfish Head thought this was suitable to release.

2.14/5  rDev -41%

A : Poured a honey color with a small white head

S : Not much on the smell, mainly just corn and some malt

T : Not that good. Strong corn flavor with the alcohol really showing through. There was some mineral tastes in there that just threw it off.

M : Light carbonation, medium-bodied

D : I usually love Dogfish's beers but this is one that I'm glad they haven't rereleased.

2.25/5  rDev -38%

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

Package: 40 oz., brown-glass, red-plastic-capped, classically-shaped “forty.” Typical DFH buff-colored, spare “parchment” label with the legend, “The bottle-conditioned, handmade malt liquor.” “Bottled in” year codes for ‘04, ‘05, ‘06, ‘07; notched at ‘04. Included stamped brown paper bag and the humorous instructions (I notice not too many people seemed to get these). I was surprised by the plastic cap, but even after being transported in a hot car and shaken a bit, this had lots of carbonation. I will say 40 oz. is a good size; 2 imperial pints or 3 shakers.

Cost: $6.99 per 40 oz. bottle at Gary’s in Madison

Presentation: 16 oz. Shaker pint at ~40-45º

Appearance: Generated a large, ivory-colored head, which did not last very long, leaving a thin skim. Body was a murky, brownish-amber color, with large bubbles along the bottom of the glass and some smaller ones rising through the beer. I did not notice any substantial lees until the last glass (I got almost 3 full pints out of this with the large heads); in which there was a cascade of brown flecks and large clumps of yeast at the bottom (which I didn’t drink). (I gave bonus points for packaging.)

Smell: Hard to describe. Definite volatile, alcohol fumes that brought to mind day-old, sticky pools of Genny Cream and Brador. Sort of a sweet-and-sour nose, but not particularly “corny.” “Beery.”

Taste: Immediately sweet on the palate, followed by a sourish curdling taste. The thick sweetness coated my lips with a sweet, sticky glaze that I kept licking off. I kept getting that bitter-sour sensation that one experiences after eating bad candy or drinking really bad, cheap “champagne” (a memory which kept returning). Flabby, with little hops or structure. The finish, as mentioned, was in turns, sweet, sticky, and then almost acrid.

Mouthfeel: Quite dichotomous. There was almost a syrupy thickness that seemed to turn into a somewhat harshly carbonated thinness. The carbonation, as exhibited in the head, seemed tight but then became strong and harsh.

Drinkability: Not very. Too sweet, more alcoholic-seeming than the 7% ABV would suggest, and pretty expensive for what one gets. See below.

Backwash: I can’t claim great expertise with Malt Liquor, but I’d say that based on my college experience with Molson Brador (which was definitely stronger than 6% in the day), this is pretty damned authentic...including the college, cheap-beer headache it provoked! No, this was no hangover. By the time I’d finished the second pint, the headache had come, much like the ones I used to get at college “champagne brunches” while drinking copious amounts of fine sparkling wine from J. Roget et al.! I can’t guarantee it was from this, but I’m pretty sure it was. An interesting novelty, but ultimately a “glorious failure.” Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a “regular” malt liquor!

2.29/5  rDev -36.9%

What an amazing novelty, brown bag and plastic screw-top included. If this wasn't Dogfish Head or some other reputable brewer, I'd be very scared right now, questioning my sanity and everything...

Who knows how long this sat in the store? (Purchased at City Beverage in Winston-Salem, NC) I got a completely unimpressive head, resembling wispy dishsoap bubbles scattered across the top of a burnt golden yellow. Good clarity.

Smell is definitely on the corn-y side, but there's a nice malt backbone backing things up, if a little on the sweet side.

The moment of truth: flavor is corn-heavy with a mineral maltiness as support. Slight bitterness in the finish, sort of like an alcohol-spiked butterscotch candy. This just tastes wrong, like they diluted the batch with Brut aftershave or something as sickening.

Making matters worse is the watery body, and the somewhat pasty film left in the mouth, sip after vile sip. Yuck.

I suspect this particular bottle wasn't the freshest example of Liquor De Malt, but damned if I'll buy it again just to a find a better example. I think I got the idea. Nice novelty, DFH, but no way was the fun-factor worth the $8.99 price of admission. My most expensive drain-pour yet.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.61/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

DFH night at the BTAH in NYC. Typical 40 ounce bottle, plastic screw off cap, and arrives in the comical brown paper bag. Pours mostly clear light amber, light tan head, minimal lacing. Nose is harsh, solvents, alcohol, burns the hairs inside my schnazolla. Nose reminds me its been many years since I've sampled/chugged any Malt liquor. Flavor here is mostly corn and more corn and/or other adjuncts. Medium thickness, slightly warming in the finish. I'm not sure why DFH brewed this stuff, hopefully they will drop this one and move on to more interesting and drinkable styles

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a pale gold with a thick, white head that doesn't stick around too long. Grainy, slightly skunky and sweet nose. Thick, syrupy palate with a definate corn flavor profile. Long, sweet finish. Mouthfeel is odd. Light upfront, thick on the back and flavorful throughout. A novelty beer for sure. From the packaging to the palate, ingenious, but not necessary. Won't try this one again.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

I didn't expect to be served from a 40 at the Beer Fest VIP party. I was rather amused, but I still felt this beer was wrong on so many levels. It reached wrong new levels of wrongability. That's why I kinda like it.

This poured from the screw top bottle (that's a white plastic screw top in this case) nice, clear, golden yellow. It seemed to have absolutely no smell, hence the low number. The flavour had an intial hint of syrupy maltiness, that it was gone almost immediately. There's a strong alcohol finish to it.

Body was heavier than expected, but seemed to be gone virtually the instant it appeared.

I must confess, part of the lack of smell or any other strong characteristics may have been because Pliny the Younger had his way with me just before I had this beer.

I give the drinakbility a 4.0 because it looks so much like 40- the bottle this one came in.

Be well
-UF

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks to Jacob for sharing this whale.

A: The pour is a cloudy pale straw color with just about no head at all.

S: It smells like (wait for it) malt liquor. Corn and perhaps some actual malt, but not good by any means.

T: Now, the flavor is actually not terrible. It's sort of sweet and less "corny" than malt liquor usually is, but malt liquor none-the-less.

M: The body is light with a moderate carbonation.

D: It wasn't terrible tasting at all, like many malt liquors are. But it wasn't so much better that I would trade a bunch for it or rush out and buy it. Let's be honest: it's malt liquor.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

Let me start off by saying I love novelety beers. They are a fun change of pace, and part of what makes beer drinking enjoyable.

A deep smokey amber body that is very uncommon of malt liquer. It hosts a short thin quick fading off white head.

Nose is a earthy malt feel that resembles an amber style.

At first sip you get more of a rustic malty slightly sweet feel that once again is more like an American amber. A bit of the "malt liquer" feel does come thru on the end of the palate. Sours slightly on the short finish. This one is best drank very cold. Very drinkable if cold. Not bad.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

To finish all 40 ounces of this myself is going to be quite challenging indeed. Little gas escaped as I removed the plastic cap. Pour was an orange bronze colour with a nice looking half-inch thick white head. Strangely, there seems to be quite alot of CO2 bubbles streaming upward in this, inspite of the lack of escaping gas upon opening.
Smell is sweet and fruity with a substantial amount of corn. It smells nothing like any malt liquor I have ever smelled. I don't quite know what to make of this, actually. The taste is very sweet, and while I wasn't exactly impressed with it, it certainly does seem to taste better than your average malt liquor, so I gave it a 3,5. Mouthfeel is rather heavy and quite honestly, it's almost oily in texture. I like this in certain styles, but not this one. This is a very strange concoction which seems to combine attributes of a wide variety of styles, and place them all in a malt liquor. It's quite novel, if nothing else.

Photo of
2.94/5  rDev -19%

40oz. bottle

Light brown, rough texture. Some black lines in center. Small white head on top. Now, let's take it out of the bag....

In the interest of science, poured a serving into a glass. Crystal clear, golden color, with a large, rocky, white head.

Aroma was alcohol, and not much else. A bit of molasses and bread if I really shoved my head in the glass and inhaled beer.

Taste was better than the aroma, but not by a lot. A sweet wheat bread, corn, bubblegum on the rebound and, oh yeah, alcohol. Surprisingly, the alcohol was not terribly overdone.

Medium in body and carbonation. A very sweet/wet finish. A bit slick and coating. Alcohol warming in short order.

Interesting, but not my thing. Technically, pretty well done compared to what I remember of other malt liquors I had long ago. If Mickeys works for you, give this one a run.

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a clear golden yellow color with a thin white head and a fair amount of lacing. Looks like Steel Reserve. Smells like a malt bomb and a little of that good ol' corn. Tastes very malty as the name might suggest -- not much else. Mouthfeel is average. Drinkability is okay. Nothing special really.

40oz to freedom! Yeah so this one was not that bad for like $4 4 the 4ty. Dark golden/amber with a small fizzy head that does not leave much lacing, than again I am chugging this one from the bottle. I mean, you have to this is a damn forty oz! Anyways, aromas are just malty sweet and one dimensional no real hops in the mix, just some corn, and some sugary sweet sugar syrup aromas. Taste is sweet and one-dimensional but not offensive in anyway, better than almost every "malt liquor" or "40" on the market, but I am not really too familiar with most of them and in the end this isn't that many steps above pricate stock! Mouthfeel is slick, smooth, and definately lends a quaffability to this beer that is quite good. Drinkability is good as well. Average as a brew. Magical for a 40!

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Not enough 40's in my life lately. Thanks to Alex for sharing this.

A - Hazy orangish-amber color. Little bit of white head that settled down rather quickly and left some spots behind.

S - Sweet malts and grains, some booze. Actually has some more complex stuff in there that reminds me of acutal beer, some sort of spice or fruit or something.

T - Taste is not bad. It's sweet, with honey and fruit notes and goes down pretty smoothly.

M - Carbonated, medium bodied.

O - I actually thought this was really good, and then I remembered I had been drinking complete shit immediately prior to this. I guess it's kind of a sliding scale when you're drinking malt liquors. It's not horrible, and might be the best malt liquor ever. Having said that, don't give me this again. Rating to style or not, this is an average beer, and I'm going to treat it accordingly.

3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

Not a very good malt liquor, but OK in itself.

Golden with a long-lasting white head. Nice lacing.

High alcohol in the nose. Floral and malty.

Full bodied but pretty well carbonated to offset it.

Malty sweet and basic in the flavor with a heavy hit of alcohol. Fruity.

Overdone, but what DFH beer isn't. Besides, this is all about the gimmick anyway.

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Pours a golden copper color with a small white head. In the aroma, bourbon, and a malty liquor presence. In the taste, malty and bourbon like, with a dry end. A big body, smooth mouthfeel, with a semi dry, bourbon aftertaste. Bourbon presence was a surprise, but was nice. Love the 40oz, its like classy trash!

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

Pleasantly malty with a drying, neutral hop finish. Short. Distillate. A second bottle the next day revealed more fruitiness -- served in a 6 oz wine glass instead of a pint -- that adequately supressed the alcohol which appears otherwise in the midpalate and slowly takes over the flavor. Lacks crispness.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

I just had to try this beer out of novelty factor alone. Thanks, mentor, for sending me the bottle. Unfortunately the brown bag didn't come with it, but I have another one lying around to use after I finish writing my review from the glass (yes, folks, I will be drinking the rest of this thing ghetto style).

The beer looks decent enough. Pours to a clear light golden color with a great carbonation. Head is very frothy and thin, but doesn't last long despite the lively carbonation. Lacing is actually fairly decent, surprisingly enough.

The smell is quite sweet and grainy. Definitely corny. Fairly high in alcohol. Not terrible, but not good. The taste is likewise. Actually much more flavorful than I was expecting, though it isn't particularly good either. Sweet and grainy with even a hint of toastiness to the malt. The finish really shows off the corn. Blech.

Full of residuals, but the body is still fairly light. The carbonation is prickly on the tongue. Has a bit of a bite to the finish.

Drinkability is not high. After this beer I will most likely never consume another 40 oz in my life. This was the first one I'd had since I was about 15, and probably my last unless another highly respectable craft brewery releases a malt liquor complete with 40 and brown bag.

I would say its the best malt liquor I've had, but that doesn't say much for it, and it's pretty much a given anyway.

Liquor De Malt from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery