Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Ratings: 6,562 |  Reviews: 1,872

As you can see from my rating, I like everything about this beer. Mouth feel, taste, look. I find it to be the beer that has no peer. It has a maltiness like a strong brown ale, but a hoppiness like the very best IPA. The oak flavoring is effective and makes is a world-class ale in my opinion. I compare it to Oaked Arrogant Bastard, but I find Burton to be smoother, maltier and sweeter and less bitter, though Burton is slightly boozier at 10% ABV. I would put this in the "one to have if you are having only one" category. Two of these might put you down. Share with a friend. Ages well. I've had a few tucked away, and Burton gets even smoother with age. It is not a beer for every occasion, but when called upon, it never fails to deliver.

I'm only going to review beers I absolutely LOVE.

This is my absolute favorite. There are others listed in my profile I thoroughly enjoy, but this is it.

90 min is awesome.
add some English Ale and age in bourbon barrels = bliss.
I await each spring for this release. I travel to DE to enjoy it at the source.

I personally love bourbon and will try any beer aged in its barrels.

Well done Sam Calagione

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a shaped Dogfish Head pint glass.

Color: A magnificent deep amber.

Smell: Sweet notes with a hoppy twist. The smell literaly makes the stress go away!

Taste: The taste is just as good as the smell if not better. A great sweet taste with the IPA hoppiness. I think I now know what heaven tastes like.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth with a light dryness. Has just a little kick I love and expect from an IPA.

Overall: I am an IPA man and I found my favorite one to date. It has that IPA hoppiness with some sweet notes to the taste. It's a beautiful looking beer and smells awesome just like the taste. The mouthfeel is perfect and leaves me wanting more. Can't even tell it's 10% ABV! Very dangerous! This beer is how I get peace of mind. Cheers.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery