Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Ratings: 6,570 |  Reviews: 1,874

2.08/5  rDev -50.2%

I really really really wanted to like this beer...
Huge fan of IIPA and Dogfish head...

I haven't had to pour a beer down the sink in years..

Way too sugary, way too sweet. Hops don't even really make it through.
This beer killed my taste buds. I had to stop drinking after I had it and it gave me a headache, probably from all the sugar. As I let the beer swirl over my tongue, I could taste the bourbon.

Maybe I had the wrong impression of what this was going to taste like. I tried, even let it sit out for a bit hoping that as it warms, it would become more palatable.

I will put the other 3 bottles down.... for a LONG time... maybe that will calm the sweetness.

2.14/5  rDev -48.8%

12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter.

A big beer for sure, and interesting, but big + interesting don't automatically equal greatness. I would love to see a more substantial dose of hops in this one (it is supposed to be a DIPA, after all). Powerfully malty, with plentiful oak, sweet vanilla, fruitiness, booziness and floral notes. Potential to be something special, but needs a serious spike of bitterness (or a new style designation). Pretty much a sugar bomb, just can't get into this at all.

2.21/5  rDev -47.1%

Bottled on 01.08.07, drank on 11.05.07.

Poured into a DFH snifter, Burton Baton revealed an orange-red color with a small white head. As I take a whiff of it, I pick up that oh-so-familiar smell that only a strong Dogfish Head brew gives off. Overpowering sweet citrus from the hops with a weird oak/toffee backbone. I think to myself, "I hope this does not become an Immort Ale disaster." To this day the Immort Ale is one of the only beers I have ever poured down the drain.

Upon drinking, it left no lacing along the side of the glass and a thin white film of head remained on the beer that could be rejuvenated with an easy swirl of the glass. The flavor was dominated by a cloying sweetness that was impossible for me to get past. Very hot in the mouth as well from the unmasked 10% alcohol.

I have to say that I am a fan of a lot of DFH beers (i.e. 60 Min, WW Stout, Indian Brown, Raison D'Etre), but the sweetness presented by this beer is something that I have had a problem with in the Immort Ale as well as the 120 Minute IPA. It is very syrupy and just unpleasant. I will say the Burton Baton is my favorite of those three beers. I was able to drink the entire bottle, but it was somewhat of a struggle and I will not be trying it again for quite some time. If you're into the Immort or 120 Min then give it a shot, otherwise try laying it down for a year or two after you buy it and then see if the flavors develop a bit more.

2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

2.3/5  rDev -45%

I feel I should review another beer with my pal AndoBrew or something. Let's do it!

Appearance: Pours a clear, copper body with a frothy, though quickly diminishing head. AndoBrew, looking troubled, says it reminds him of "scary candy." Oh, how right he'll be!

Smell: Beyond a touch of wood shavings and an indistinct orange citrus note, its sweet-smelling candy sugar through and through. AndoBrew concludes Burton Baton has been conceived and made in the same vein as Avery's "Mephistopheles and Other Demons" line (i.e., jacked up sugar and alcohol content). I'm inclined to agree with him.

Taste: Terribly sugary, with a glaring sweetness that impairs the overall taste by laying waste to the other flavors of honey, apples, and pears. Even the bitterness is cowed by the sugar. AndoBrew's vote goes to "Watered down Toffee Brandy blended with a lil' bit of bad news." Right on, Ando.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, but altogether cloying with a searing alcoholic warmth to it. AndoBrew says his mouth feels dried out and sugar-encrusted, like a "problem."

Drinkability: Essentially, I found this to be a flimsy IPA drenched in way too much sugar and alcohol. I feel fortunate to have survived this sugar-esque running of the bulls!

I wonder what beer AndoBrew and I will try next!

2.35/5  rDev -43.8%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy reddish orange with a medium creamy white head that goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet woody caramel malts with a little acidic hops and a lot of sharp alcohol.

The flavor is sweet sugary caramel malts with a decent bitterness in the finish and a lot of sharp alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's overly sugary sweet and alcoholic with no real hop flavor.

2.38/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

V.07

Great looker - nice deep amber coloring, with a thick gel-like appearance that allows only light carbonation. Very large alcohol rim. A typical olde ale/barleywine presentation.
Huge alcohol presence that stings, with a woody backnote. Some floral notes, that is stomped by more alcohol.
A syrupy, cloying mess that has more off-balanced wood than a boy with a Mature rated anime collection. One part simple syrup, one part rubbing alcohol, and one -quarter part attic wood and a dash of vanilla. Impressive?
NOTE - This actually becomes a great nightcap sipper if left open for a while. It numbs the gums, and it should have a little more definition. This could only pair with a cigar.

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

Nose is hoppy as well as the first sip. Not picking up any oak from nose or taste. 10 percent wow alcohol burn and a little on the bitter side. I expected this to be a little smoother but its just shy of having a bite to it.Not one of my favs by a long shot.If youre a hop head go for if not steer clear.

2.51/5  rDev -40%

This one was bottled sometime in April, so it's little more than a month old. Poured into a tulip. Light amber hazy body with a thick off white head. Good lacing.

The smell is sweet and exactly like the artificial cotton candy bubblegum smell. There is a hint of citrus in the aroma as well.

The taste is very sweet, with a bit of the vanilla oak flavor. The hops are very subdued; maybe adding a little floral flavor to the candy sweetness.

The body is medium-large, and the carbonation nice and prickly.

Not an offensive tasting beverage, but I can't say I'm a fan by any means. This is close to being a barleywine, but there isn't any complexity in the taste and it's just too sweet.

2.54/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a 1/2 finger white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smells overly sweet with lots of caramel and toffee. Touches of wood as well maybe.

The taste here is overly sweet and cloying. Caramel and toffee are overwhelming with touches of fruits. Rich, but not really that enjoyable. No balance. Syrupy. Virtually no hop presence. Alcohol is somewhat present. I don't understand how this rates so high.

Mouthfeel is way too thick and syrupy. I've had more cloying beers, but this is up there. At least give me some hops to balance the sweetness.

Drinkability is poor. Yes, I had this 12oz bottle to myself. Do I regret that? Yes. A 3oz sample would be about right.

Not recommended.

Edit: I drink some more, and it just gets worse. This is a horrible beer. Seriously, how is this a 4.1 average? The last half of the bottle is going down the drain. There is no excuse for *&#* like this.

2.6/5  rDev -37.8%

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with about a one finger head. head goes down pretty quick with a thin blanket left that leaves decent bits of lace.

S: Rum, caramel, molasses.

T: Big sweet alcohol taste. Didn't get the hop flavors that I was expecting. I did get a oaky chardonnay flavor. The honey sweetness is almost overpowering, diacetyl notes for sure. This beer is very well crafted, but too sweet for my palate.

D: If it wasn't so sweet it would be good. This beer reminds me of a Camelot mead that I once had. Too sweet, and it doesn't mellow in your glass like some beers that initially shock you. If you like sweet, drink this beer.

2.71/5  rDev -35.2%

A: A medium amber color with a very robust creamy white head. It came out about 1 1/2 thumbs thick and settled down to about half. It has a very creamy and milky head. Carbonation consists of very fine bubbles. Lacing is incredible.

S: It smells of citrus (orange or grapefruit) with floral notes. It's not overly complex but pleasing.

T: I don't taste any oak. I was expecting more but it just tastes like an IPA. I'm disappointed because I really expected something new from this beer. It's not awful because it's a decent IPA it's just that I wanted some wood flavor...or something...anything. I appreciated that they could hide the 10% ABV in this beer.

M: It's about average without anything unique. It's a bit astringent in the aftertaste. It has a wonderful head but the mouthfeel doesn't have any punch or carbonating "zing".

O: I didn't like this beer. I didn't feel like this warranted its own beer because it didn't taste unique enough to be its own beer. That might sound strange but I wanted this beer to give me something new and it just tasted like a regular old DFH IPA. Maybe the astringency or color came from the wood or something, but I really didn't pick up any flavor at all from it. I didn't pick up any oak, vanilla, or anything. It's a pity that I have to rate such a beautiful beer so low.

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

a- bottle poured into a chalice, one finger of head, hazy brown chesnut coloring, bubbling lace.

s- lots of oak here, sweet, earthy hops, clean smelling.

t- very oak-y, getting alot of peat from that, lots of alcohol here - strong, yeah, really boozy.

m- medium/thick in the mouth.

d- not the greatest, this is the 2010 vintage and i think it's still a little too hot for me, gonna put the other one i have in the cellar for a year or so and give this another shot to mellow out a bit.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery