Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,860 | Ratings: 6,538
3.97/5  rDev -5%

A- Pale Amber hue with a subtle soapy head.

S- A sweet bite of hops backed by some malty fruity notes with a hint of booze.

T- Bittersweet rush of hops and sweet malts. Has a citrusy spice to it and the oak comes through helping mellow out the middle.

M- Creamy and and a bit hot in the mouth. Decent carbonation.

O-A very desirable well balanced heavy hitter that is quite a treat and goes down quite effortlessly. Sure to not disappoint.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this on tap at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, TX. Not really a big fan of Dogfish head, but it sounded intriging. I really like the flavor on the back end , but the front end was "soapy" - not sure if it was the beer, or some other issue.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Bottled on 1/08/2007. Consumed on 2/19/2007.

A - Pours gorgeous translucent copper color with a medium caramel colored head. Mild carbonation. True to the style, with good consistancy throughout.

S - Very pronouned hops - smelling the beer actually tickled the inside of my nose. Almost a new car smell coming through. Sweetness comes through on subsequent whiffs.

T - Caramel is the big flavor here. Extremely sweet, not as hoppy as I usually think of IPAs being (I suppose that comes from the oak aging process). Alcohol is very present as well. I like this beer, though I am confused by its classification. This bottle was low in carbonation as well as bitterness. As I continue to spend time with the beer, I find it definetely to be too sweet for me. An interesting beer though, certainly complex, which I have tried to reflect in my numerical score.

MF - Very thin, does not go down easy.

D - Definetely a sipping beer. I imagine even someone who is a big fan of this beer won't want more than one in a sitting.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Recieved my DFH Snifter today after what happened to my old one (Read my review on Immort Ale) and I decided I should enjoy a DFH brew in it to break it in.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with 10/14/2010 date into a DFH Snifter.

A - Pours a clear caramel mahogany color into my glass. Looks delish. A 1 finger white head develops and VERY slowly falls into a beautiful cap, very very thick, and leaves awesome super sticky lacing all over the glass. Beautiful beer!

S - Smells of hops, pine, some light citrus, and some slight roasted and carmelized malts. I also get some woody tones, oak and the like. Perhaps some sweet notes, sweet dark fruits as well.

T - Amazing. A great DIPA. So much flavor. Take everything from the "S" section and just make it come alive on your tounge. The hops, hit first and then the sweet malt and wood come after and leave you with a pleasant after taste. Some slight alcohol hits the back of the throat way after I take each sip as well. This beer is pretty high ABV so it does make sense.

M - Mouthfeel is nice. Some good carbonation stands up to the flavors well and really holds it up.

D - The only reason this beer isn't rated as high in drinkability is because of the higher ABV, this one is a ass kicker if you drink to much of it. Really and truly a great beer though that I will be revisiting in a few months to see what cellaring does.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle with 8/2015 date

A: pours a lovely honey, burnished copper. 1.5 fingers of white foam, which leaves little lacing but slides down the glass as I drink.

S: nose is sweet malt, subtle wood. Hops are subdued.

T: extremely well-balanced. Alcohol is well-hidden. Sweet malts rule the day, with subtle and smooth oak, wood flavors. Sticky, resinous hops buttress the huge malt character. As it warms it develops a slight boozy kick- very nice. Somewhat dry finish.

M: medium-bodied, oily, light carbonation.

O: very impressive! I wasn't ever a fan of oak-aged beers... Until now! Fruity old ale and oak flavors blend nicely, reinforced by sticky hops and sweet malts. Love it, another home run from DFH.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Excited to see this at my local Whole Foods - read many good things of this.

Pours into my tulip glass a beautiful, clear garnet with a thin eggshell cap of foam which dissapates to a silky ring. Light carbonation struggles through the oily elixir and a skiff of a head is maintained only by the etching at the bottom of the glass.

Aromas are of rich fruity sweetness and a 'dark', mellow hoppiness - not at all characteristic of the 90-min from which this is blended. Maybe some background earthiness coming from the oak (yeast?).

Flavour is rich - cherries soaked in dark-rum upon a foundation of earthy, cedar-like spice. Blindfolded, (or even not having seen the bottle), I would have classified this strictly as a very good Barleywine. I got no impression whatsoever of this being a blended Imperial IPA, and any oak presence is quite subtle and sorta dissapointing in this regard.

Slick, oily mouthfeel is very satisfying and warming. I had this as a nigthcap and it was perfect for such an occasion. Very drinkable though at 10%, you won't be drinking much.

Overall, an excellent offering from Dogfish Head, just not quite as 'unique' as I'd been expecting.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to barleywinefiend for this beer! Decanted from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours an amber color with a two-finger thick head that subsides to a thin layer of foam. Aroma has resiny hops, citrus hops, and some malty sweetness. Taste has some gentle floral bitterness and a shit ton of malt sweetness. This is a DIPA? The oak influence shows itself in the aftertaste. Has a medium body that is silky smooth. I could put down several of these pretty quickly, making the drinkability pretty high. This doesn't like a DIPA to me at all. However, it's still pretty damn good.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Hazy Orange quickly dissapating head, no lacing.

S: Hoppy citrus and a healthy amount of oak

T: Tangy flavor and hops up front, fruity presence, and n extremely well balanced subtle, smooth oak finish

M: Great amount of carbonation nice lingering taste

D: VERY drinkable

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Copper orange red with one finger of white head that dissipates quickly but laces
S: Vanilla, chocolate mousse, woody
T: Front is vanilla, smooth, sweet, middle is woody and malty, and the taste ends with strong hops pungency, aftertaste shows it’s ABV
M: smooth and velvety, light carbonation
D: A nice sipper, but could go down easily and quickly if you’re not paying attention

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this at Firkin poured off of a nitro tap into a snifter

A- Pours a clear orangish-red color with one finger of off white head. Left some nice lacing on the glass.

S- Smell is of hops as well as roasted malts and oak. Expected more of a bitter pine aroma considering it is a DIPA, but it didn't smack me in the face.

T- Taste is more sweet and fruity than bitter. Good malt flavors, but I was a little disappointed by the lack of hop bite.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and sticky mouthfeel. The oak aging makes it easy to drink. Alcohol is well hidden here.

O- A tasty brew that I did enjoy, but not all that much like a DIPA. Easy drinking and full of great flavor, but didn't blow me away.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one hell of a brew, it is exactly as advertised. Get the IPA upfront followed by the best flavors of whiskey in the finish. Balanced perftectly and alcohol is not present, nice warming effect. Dogfish Head delivers and you have to try if you get your hands on one.

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

grabbed a couple 12 oz bottles from the Beer Junction in West Seattle, poured into pint glass.

pours a 1/2" off-white head with moderate, slippery lacing. gorgeous, sparkling copper-amber hue with a peach tint.

damn smoky and oaky for an IPA, citrus and clovey aroma meets cherry and piney overtones with a big bang of herbal to floral hops.

tastes goes back to oak, cloves, and citrus hops. sort of a tingling, almost schnapps aftertaste.

subtle and mellow on-bringing for such a high alc./vol. level. crisp, dry finish. pretty elegant, does its thing and moves along quickly.

a bold and charismatic IPA, I just wish it looked a little better... a fun and dangerous beer. the after sensation in your throat is the only way your body warns you of this high alcohol content beer. I'd imagine after about three anybody will be good.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Sensory glass. The pour produced a dark orange color with a minimal 1 finger head. I could pick up citrus, pine, and wood notes. The initial taste comprised of grapefruit and then switched to a vanilla, syrupy taste on the way down. The booze and the syrup distract from an otherwise nice take on the style. For the cost I find it hard to get a lot of these but I wouldn't mind revisiting it from time to time.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

This is pretty darn great brew. Bottled 11/22/2010

It looks beautiful dark gold and is well carbonated.

Smell is slightly oak ridden and alcohol laden.

Taste is quite complex. Oak, caramel and vanilla notes from the barrel mix sweetness into the bitter hops of this imperial IPA. The carbonation is more present than I expected as it lifts the competing bitter-sweet flavors.

I find this beer to be quite drinkable because of the amazing complexity in the taste. Hoped for a little bit more out of the smell.

Cheers

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%

Beer pours a nice copper color into a glass with good head. Leaves a nice subtle lacing on the glass as you drink it. I want to like this beer but it's got an alcohol burn kind of like drinking whiskey to me. It also leaves a very lingering bitterness in the mouth, which for me doesn't work. Perhaps if I paired it with food it might finish better but this is not something I want to drink alone or have multiples of.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Purchased about 3-4 months ago. Reviewed from notes

The color is a couple shades darker than some IPA's with a decent amount of head and nice sticky lacing. Most immediate smell is molasses, followed by plenty of hops and oak. Smaller notes of vanilla and a tinge of Bourbon. Some good 3C bittering hops in the taste, high alpha acids. Has some sweetness to it. Nice oak flavor but hops do dominate. Hops and oak, it's like peanut butter and chocolate, "Two great tastes, that go great together". Lingering bitterness from hops and some oak coat the inside of the mouth. A touch sticky feeling. Good drinkability, disappears too fast.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle to tulip. Pours clear dark amber body with about a two finger head, leaving some soapy lacing.

Smells slightly sweet - toffee, brown sugar - with some pine and citrus playing supporting cast. Also a very floral note to it.

Taste is similar to the smell. Minimal hop presence at first, mostly caramel/toffee malts, but as the taste progresses the hop bitterness takes over. A nice balance here.

Mouthfeel is quite strong - decent heat.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one deluxe beer. Lots going on, but works well together. Definitely a sipper. Grape, vanilla and cooking spice in the nose. The taste is well balanced between the oak and bittering hops. Finishes with a bourbon booziness. Well done. FYI the one I tasted had aged a year (very well I might add) so much of the real floral hops and the beer as a whole may have mellowed.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Poured in a tulip shaped glass

A: Dark amber with a thick white head when poured aggressive. The lacing is maintained when tilting the glass.

S: citrusy, hoppy, floral, earthy,

T: Notes of Oak Wood and vanilla with a strong hop presence.

M: moderate carbonation and medium bodied.

O: Overall, this is by far one of my favorites Imperial IPA. It has a nice rich and complex taste blended very well. For a 10% ABV, this is a very smooth beer. Each sip I discover different tastes, and its very, very smooth. I still can't believe its a 10%. IF you see this, BUY IT & TRY IT.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle sent by Luckysevens82. Pours clear golden amber, with chapagne-like bubbles. Frothy one-finger ecru head slowly defervesces but never disappears, leaving some lace on the glass.

Nose didn't give me the citrus hops I was expecting- Instead, there was sweet apricot/peach/vanilla, with a touch of flowery hops. Very nice.
Wow. Sweet malty orange and fruits on the start, with some slight tartness and hop bitterness as the finish approaches, not a hop-bomb at all. Vanilla and oak swirl through the middle. Mouthfeel is lush, full; light velvety carbonation and slickness, drying a bit towards the end, but not a dry finish per se. The 10% alcohol contributes nicely to the mouthfeel and taste, and warming, but is wrapped nicely inside this brew. Thanks for the sample, Evan.

3.72/5  rDev -11%

I hate that I'm giving this beer such a low rating. I like that it's unique, and it certainly is, but it's a bit too sweet, too flat, and too not enough hops. This is a single, and has likely been sitting on a shelf for around a year, so my rating may be unfair. It is, however, fair to this bottle, in my subjective opinion.

Now, I purchased another 6 of Hop Slam today ... I'm sure I know which will prevail of the two, if I'm up to it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to leftmindedrighty for the bottle. 12 oz bottle, bottled on 12/29/05. Served at about 50 degrees in a snifter.

Bright orange to ruby red hues in the body. Streams of carbonation are pretty steady, though the head is very light. What was there quickly settled to a ring of slightly toasted white. Very subtle aroma. Mellowed citrusy hops with some light alcohol notes. Taste is like a more refined DFH hopped-up offering. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the masked hops. The hop head in me wants them to come out, but the oakyness that seems to be pulling them down is thoroughly appreciated. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, light carbonation. Easy to drink with the alcohol hardly being noticed. Not your typical DFH experience -- a lot of malt and hop balance. Full of complexity. One of the best DFHs I've had.

3.01/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

First taste of this tonight. 12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

Appearance wasn't too unique, reddish-amber with a small foamy head that dwindled down to fine lace after a couple minutes.

Smell: very fruity, malty. Was very surprised by this. I was expecting a hop bomb given the "Imperial IPA" title. I could smell some woodiness, but if I didn't know it was oak, probably wouldn't have placed it. Lots of fruit and floral notes. Can't emphasize enough how sweet the beer smelled, almost like a Belgian something or other, not at all like an IPA.

Taste: could taste the woodiness at first few sips, then this characteristic seemed to dissipate as my tastebuds acclimated to the beer. Was surprisingly sweet and fruity. I initially liked it. A lot. Not too oaky. My buddy thought it was too fruity for an IIPA.

After a few sips, we decided that it was cloyingly and over-the-top sweet. However, it's late winter and quite cold out; we decided that this beer ice-cold on a hot and humid deck in mid-summer very well might kick ass. But today, we decided it was too sweet. Fruitiness: citrusy, but hard to tell if it's acid like grapefruit or sweet like an orange. Really needed more hops to counter this, or at least some tart citrus to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: pretty smooth. Not over carbonated.

Drinkability: I had little difficulty finishing my share. A whole bottle might have made me crave some really salty potato chips or something, as it was getting pretty sweet. I definitely would not have finished the 12-oz bottle.

I initially liked the beer. I may have been influenced by the description on the label and really wanting to like it, as I like most DFH beers. But the more I drank, the more I was seeking hops and something to cut the malty, fruity sweetness. Won't buy it again.

Poured into snifter - bottled on 11/19/10

A - very nice red/amber color with a 1 finger head and active carbonation. Head hangs around for a bit and leaves really nice lacing. Nice cascade.

S - hop flower aromas, with some malt. A touch of caramel and oak as well. It smells like a well made barleywine and is very similar in smell to oak-aged unearthly if you have had that.

T - very rich piney hop taste with a grapefruit kick. The malt hides it well though, too well in fact as I really am astounded I am drinking a 10% ABV beer. There's something missing here, I really think it's the way the flavors aren't as "in your face" as many, more aggressive IPA's. Don't get me wrong though, it's subtle but tasty!

M - probably the best quality of this beer. The hops are there, not overpowering - and the beer is sticky without being syrupy, and smooth without being thin or thick. They nailed this category.

D - well, it's a very good IPA...but I don't see myself drinking much of it. If you like unearthly then I would recommend you try this, as you may like it even better. I'm happy this came in a 12oz.

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- A deep orange haze with a grey-ish/ white head that left a good lacing

S- Rich hop aroma, complimented with some faint citrus notes. I'm not sure how but you can instantly tell it's DFH

T- Wonderful malt base complimented with a somewhat spicy hop balance and rounded out with some smooth vanilla oak finish

M- This is the best part of the beer. The oak aging gives a velvety soothness that definitely masks the 10% ABV

O- Really enjoyed this beer. DFH never seems to let me down and this is no exception. I'm glad to hear this is being made all year round.

Serving type: 12oz bottle into a tulip glass