Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,845 | Ratings: 6,461
4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Appearance is gorgeous, not a lot of head, but some lacing and a rich, deep amber color that's very clear. Smells not much of hops, which is what I expected, but more of ripe fruit aroma with a little hops in the background. Taste is similar to that of a 90 Minute IPA but with some of the hops replaced by a sweet, fruity flavor (I want to say a peach flavor, but I can't quite be sure). The alcohol is completely hidden in this brew, which is remarkable for 10%, the only trace is a slight warming sensation that lingers on the palate along with some sweetness. The alcohol comes through a bit more as the beer warms, but still is very hidden. The taste is very complex and rich, I think I could contemplate for a while on all the different tastes that are going on here. Mouthfeel is very smooth with only moderate carbonation. With the hidden alcohol this brew is extremely drinkable, it'll be hard to force myself to cellar one of these brews.

Overall this is instantly one of my favorite beers. I would like a little bit more head, and it might be a bit too sweet for some, but those are the only flaws I can see. A damned fine brew from one of the great American breweries.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

The beer pours a very rich amber in the glass and the first smell is an overwhelming Hops scent that led me to initially dread its taste, but I was surprised. The initial taste is a strong burst of heavy hoppiness typical of most IPA's but the surprise was the lingering taste in the mouth. Definite hints of citrus, pine resin, toffee and perhaps maybe even butterscotch, blend for a smoothness in the drinkability. It does have a bit of grainy feel in its texture on the tongue but is definitely an easily drinkable beer especially for someone who is not a fan of hoppy IPA's.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an English pint glass. Has a nice dark copper hue with a 1 finger off white head.

Smell is similar to the 90 minute ipa in the sweetness aspect. The differences include more piney hop aroma and a vanilla note.

Tastes very similar to the 90 minute with a touch more hoppiness and a nice vanilla flavor. Works quite well. Kind of wished I tasted the oak more, but I understand it's hard to get good extraction without long times in the barrel which can hurt ipa flavor. The hoppiness is of grapefruit and pine. Mouthfeel is a tad hot but the barrels mellow it out more than with the 90 minute ipa.

All in all I'm not sure if this beer warrants the price hike. Sure it is better, but is it that much better? I am not sure. The experience with this beer makes me want to try the Oaked offering from Stone.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

deep ruby red color. 2-3 fingers of head with aggressive pour. decent lacing. smell is of dark fruit-raisin/apricot and floral hop. woodiness is prevalent. deep oaky sweetness, floral hops, heavy toasted malt. full bodied. alcohol is noticeable and makes it a little hot. this is an interesting brew, i drank it fresh...but i wonder what it would taste like aged.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A - Dark amber with a perfect finger sized creamy head, and it lasts the entire time I'm drinking.

S - Smells sweet, with malt and caramel. I also detect some smokiness. This smells fantastic.

T - Crisp hops and alcohol bite. The second half of the sip is sweet, following the smell.

M - Tart at first, then moves into a smooth finish.

D - This is a sipper, but one I could have a few of. This would be great with a fine cigar. Class act.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 16oz shaker at once.

Nice balsa like head reduced to a layer of fuzz with some clinging around the periphery of the glass. Immediate aroma was fruity and subtle. Not intense with hops and citrus as I expected. This is my first go at this one.

Slight metallic bite at first. Very smooth and creamy. Nice tart character. The taste of alcohol is masked well. However, the warmth of the high ABV dominates the full feel. Sweetness peaks through as it opens up with time. The blend of wood aged beer is noted. The young blend is supressed by the aged. Odd that this imperial IPA remindes me of a stout or porter with the taste of well roasted malts. I would have failed the blindfold taste test with this one. Could it be the wood?

Nice and drinkable. Definately need to grab one to cellar for another taste in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter. From notes taken at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church.

A: Pink-grapefruit-tinged dark copper, a truly unique color. Decent off-white head layer, not much lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, grape, mandarin orange and light citric scents, overall a very complex, winey. sweet smell, tempered by a slight tickle of citrus. The grape and butterscotch really come out as it warms up.

T: Wow, it's very thickly layered. Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch flavors lend a chewy sweetness to the brew, and the grape I smelled asserts itself with a kind of ice-wine-esque character that heightens with the temperature. Hops are there, mostly orangey and grapefruity, lending some IPA character to what really tastes more like an oak-aged barleywine. Sort of reminds me of a lighter, less cloying version of some of the Lees' Harvest Ale offerings. Very complex--odd that it is listed as having the 90 Min. as a component, as the oak-aging and English characteristics have made this almost unrecognizable as a cousin to that brew.

M: Despite the thick, chewy nature of the flavors, this is neither syrupy nor cloying. It's certainly a meal of a beer, but it would just make the four-pack last longer. Nice balance of big malty sweetness with highly comfortable feel.

D: It's a sipper, but it sure is a good 'un. Glad I ordered it.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Following an Oaked Arrogant Bastard; shockingly sweet in comparison.

Well, it looks better. Golden-red with a thick, long-retaining head just on the cream side of white.

General berry-sweet fruit in the scent; gentle malt is apparent, and a little sweet-hop aroma.

In terms of flavor, this beer, while being hugely enjoyable, is more sweet than I want it to be. It hints at hops and wood at every stage of a sip, but never gives enough of either.

The mouthfeel is detrimentally effected by the sweetness. My mouth candied up with improper ecstasy that I'd rather spend on bitterness or sourness. If I knew a lady that enjoyed beer, flowers, and sweets, I'd buy her every bottle of this I could. And I guess I'd hold onto a few for safe-keeping.

Overall, this is another version of a 'big-bad-wannabe-macro-but-good' beer that I'd recommend, but wouldn't quite serve to impress my beer buddies. It's fucking good, but that's all it is. And did I mention it's weirdly sweet?

I really wish this one sat on wood a good while longer, and at least another hop addition would have done is justice. Last word: very good, but.... well, give one to your non-beer-geek friends to get them on the path to great beers.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

I was excited to see another offering from Dogfish Head on the shelves at the local's popular liquor store!

I brought home my four pack and immediately opened one and poured into a pint glass. The aroma was wonderful-- carmel, hop, and almost something akin to brandy!

The taste was much sweeter than I anticipated, but wonderful. Not as hoppy on the finish as I would prefer, but an excellent beer anyway.

The alcohol in this one is quite sneaky. The sweetness of the beer hides the high alcohol content, that's for sure.

As I drank a delicate lace appeared on the glass, and just a hint of froth remained.

I tried to drink two of these in a two hour period, and although I succeeded, it was not easy. This beer wasn't at all disappointing, just a little too sweet for me. I'll save it for the occasions that call for a great dessert beer.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle from this year's batch into a Sam Adams Sensory glass.

Look: Appealing golden reddish-brown with a slightly tan head, I didn't get much head on my pour from a 12 ounce bottle, but I went easy on it. A steady stream of bubbles arose from the nucleation points at the bottom of my Sam Adams glass. The thin head quickly dissipated, but some light lacing was evident.

Smell: Not too strong, but a vanilla oakiness with maybe some fruit and hops - nothing too overpowering in the least.

Taste: This has some of the characteristics of all the trendy burbon-barrel aged beers but none of the overpowering flavor some of them exhibit. The initial flavors are sweet but not too sweet, with some nice caramel, vanilla, oak, and fruitiness, without being cloying. The snap of bitterness cleans the palate nicely with some sweetness and effervescence remaining on the tongue. I expected a beer with fairly low carbonation, but I feel the moderately high levels help to avoid an overly sweet and sticky beer. Some of the baking soda flavors I've been hating about high-IBU beers make their appearance a minute or so after swallowing, but aren't abhorrent.

Mouthfeel: As I mentioned, I think the carbonation levels help create a truly excellent mouthfeel - nearly on the levels of Saison Dupont perfection. It's full and smooth in the mouth and the sweetness is well-displayed, but the bubbles and hop snap leaves your tongue feeling ready for more.

Drinkability: Honestly, I consider most any beer highly drinkable if it's a style I enjoy. Burton Baton is quite dangerous, as the high ABV is disguised by a truly excellent mouthfeel that allows you to take one swig after another. A great beer from a brewery I would expect to make a high-end DIPA.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep deep amber with a two fingered head that dissipates slowly, but leaves beads of lace around my pint glass. Has a strong nose, I can smell it from across the room. Great floral hop smell, mixed with some woody and maybe a hint of booze. Aroma has some good fruit notes in it, kind of smells like apple juice.

First sip cleared my sinuses. A hop explosion!  Hops in the beginning, middle and end. They bounce around alot though. Some floral, earth and citrus taste. Not a huge booze taste right now, I'll come back when it warms down a bit. Bready, chewy malty taste that falls into a finish of fruity hops that I can feel all the way at the top of my head, my temples are throbbing, in a good way.

The mouthfeel is like a rollercoaster, swirls over the palete until it curls up in the back of my mouth with a fizzy, hoppy sizzle that shakes my jaw. Love it!!

This one is a slow drinker, but I enjoyed every sip of it. Each sip brings out something new. Glad I have three more.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

served 12 oz bottle in my sam adams perfect pint glass

A-held up to a light, and it is a bronze, amber, orange, 1 inch frothy head this is slowly declining leaving a nice ring of lacing around it

S- very boozy, big sweet malt, piny and flowery hops, slight citrus

T-alcohol very noticeable which demand respects, sweet caramel/ biscuity malt and vanilla oak taste really comes through as the beer warms, large amount of malts mask flavoring hops but good amount of bittering hops still come through. Not a hop bomb. Man I love a balanced east coast DIPA. DFH beers don't attempt to hide the alcohol by any means. One of my favorite styles since i love malty yet hoppy beers.

M-creamy upfront from large amount of malt, finsihes drys from oak and hops

D- lil boozy, but I could probably drink 2 or 3

...still IMO best oak aged DIPA/IPA is Southern Tiers Oak Aged Unearthly...this one is in 2nd

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have now had this three times, out of the four pack, and it is starting to grow on me. It is not a "oaky" as mod barrel aged stuff, and not a "hoppy" as most DIPAs of late. But this beer is very well balanced, and does have a nice barrel aged character.

A: Typical, dark orange amber color, decent head.

S: IPA, not a lot of "barrel" on the nose.

T: this is where the oak comes in, and a nice, woody, hint of vanilla, "bitter" oak is seeping through.

M: Classic for DIPA, dry, but still thick in the back of the mouth. Lingers on the sides of the tongue.

O: Decent BA offering, but not typical of the bourbon aged stuff that has dominated the RIS season this past year. The BA IPAs are making a mark. I still like OA Unearthly better, though.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Belgian Independence Day tulip. Bottle date is 4/ 07/ 11. Making this bottle just over a year old.

A- Hazy amber color with a one finger head that holds strong. Very sticky lacing and active carbonation.

S- Sweet malts, caramel, raisin, oak, aged hops, bitter soap and slight amount of citrus. Very complex and nice. I'm surprised that the hops still find themselves in the nose.

T- Oak, toffee, tobacco, aged hops, bitter soap, vanilla and raisin. This is transitioning into a nice sweet complex ale. Still has some IPA characteristics but moving towards a complex barleywine. I like

M- Perfect. It is easy drinking with a smooth finish, no alcohol burn and balanced carbonation.

O- This beer is aging nicely. I cant wait to drink them at 2yrs, 3yrs, maybe 5? It is a beer that is not only good fresh but has great potential for placing in the cellar and drinking aged.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A- Pours a nice dark amber/orange with a quickly retreating two inch head, which leaves a heavy lacing as it withdraws. (All of the lacing eventually diappeared but it kept head until the final swallow.) The head itself is bright white.

S- The smell is mostly oak with a hint of citrus hops. The oak gives it that old "English" style aroma. I smell a little bit of fresh orange or grapefruit on the edges, but the oak is the main part of the nose.

T- The taste is very complex. Right out of the gate I get this heavy oak and malt thing going on, but just before I can properly diagnose it, the bitterness of the hops comes crashing through and the malt/oak only returns on the finish as a slight afterthough. In the hops I taste smokey grapefruit. Thats right, smokey grapefruit. It is a shocking as it sounds, yet it is very pleasing. The malt backbone leaves a little plum and bread taste on the finish. Very well balanced. It is the perfect struggle of sweet and bitter. For a 10 percent ABV, this one shows no trace of booze in the taste. A lot of big D-IPAs will have a booze finish or just overall boozy taste, but not this gem. It tastes like oak and oranges and hops and bread and plums and malt and maybe even molasses but not even a tiny hint of alcohol. I think they could sell this thing without checking IDs.

M- The mouthfeel on this thing is great, but a little bit odd. There is a lot of carbonation on the front of the tongue, but on the back of the tongue and in the swallow is it cask-condtioned flat. The odd part is that the carbonation on the front of the tongue lasts beyond the actual swallow. I have never had that happen before. In other words, the throat never burns, but the front of the tongue feels fizz all the way beyond the finish. Nice concept.

O- Although the oak is not normal for an American D-IPA, it adds something fun. It does, however, cause it not to have the taste characteristics I look for in a D-IPA. Not enough citrus in the taste. I feel obliged to take off points from the taste for the things it is missing for this style. It really needs a style category of its own. It is not sessionable because you can really only drink one or two in a day without getting hammered. It is a terrific brew worthy of sharing with only the most special guest. It is a little pricey, but I think it is worth it. It wont make my "best double ipa" list because it is not true to the style, but it makes my "top 5 beers ever" list hands down. Very well done and worth the price and the wait. Another great Dogfish offering.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - poured into a tulip glass a rosy copper color with a thin head. Medium bubbles and little lacing on the glass.

S - slightly spicy with floral and citrus notes.

T - sweet to start, finishing malty then back to sweet with an aftertaste reminiscent of barleywine. Pretty well balanced but a bit sweet and in my opinion could be more bitter.

M - smooth and pleasing; lightly carbonated

O - good beer by a great brewery but not overly exciting. I would definitely recommend to friends with a taste for barleywine. I think the hoppiness of an IPA gets lost a little though.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

4 pack from Beverage Mart on NY 66.

"Please share it with loved ones" - (I didn't)

Opaque peach-orange with a half an inch of creamy head. Very nice hop aroma. Minimal carbonation, good lace.

This is probably among one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Hops are ever present, as they should be -- but there's that smoky, earthy flavor the oak barrels impart. Really a great brew.

Well done DFH. The hits keep on coming.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottled dated 12/19/05 (9 months old)

Cloudy at first, but became a very clear deep amber as it warmed.

Very yeasty aroma and a slight sourness that dissapated after sitting for 15 minutes. A slight oakiness starts to come through as it warms.

Taste is much like the aroma with the addition of sweetness and slight flowery hop. Very little bitterness.

I remember this beer being more complex and woody when I first bought it. The hops have really subsided (too much IMO). I won't lay this down as long next time.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Love an opportunity to drink a Dogfish beer I haven't yet tried.

Poured into a thistle glass - becoming my new favorite glass for any IPA style.

Reddish-orange clear pour with a light head. Smells a little like Redpop with a little vanilla cream thrown in. May have been my nose, but I didn't detect a strong fragrance.

Tastes a bit like it smells. Bitterness from start to finish - lingers for longer than I prefer. Bitterness on the dry side, not getting much hop note with the bitterness.

Like all of their beers I have tried, this beer feels good to drink. I could sip through a couple no problem. No need to do more than that.

I little disappointed, not sure if I will get again.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Reviewed in a Bruery Tulip

A: A bold pour resulted with two fingers of a creamy head which dissipates rather quickly leaving behind a gorgeous, heavy-handed lacing.

S: Smell is lightly hoppy, not an in-your-face hop bomb IPA. The lightness is surprisingly orange and citrusy. There is a slight woody/oaky scent as it warms, but I'm mainly getting orange and not much wood, which is probably a result of being new to reviewing. There is a slight alcohol scent, but only towards the end.

T: Once again I get intense orange. It's a light and bright hop taste. The orange that I'm getting is close to cleaning solution/Gojo soap. It's not offensive, just surprising. I'm getting very little oak because the orange hides everything. It lets you know it's 10% only slightly in a final bite.

M: Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel. For some reason my preconceived notions thought it would be thick and syrupy, but this is not so.

O: A nice twist on 90 Minute, but it's an expensive beer that I'm not sure I will keep stocked in my fridge. I'm glad it's going year-round but I don't think I could handle many of these in a sitting.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Orange color with a creamy head that holds almost all the way through the glass. aroma is sweet and malty, hops are mixed in with some fruity and caramel aromas. flavor is very mellow. The sweet caramel malts are actually the dominiant part of the flavor, with the fruit tones and some smoke/oak flavors.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A - deep amber with a tight lacing

S - Slightly sweet with a trace of earthy hop

T - Very complex. Could taste sherry and raisen (?) with a slight bitter finish. It reminded me more of a barley wine than an Imperial IPA

M - heavy with very light carbonation

D - liked it but it wasn't what I thought it would be based on the style. definitely would have it again

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a tulip glass from a bottle.

Pours a beautiful rich amber, with a thin off-white head, which hangs around some throughout,

Aroma is sweet, with some notes of alcohol, and a bit of piney bitterness.

Flavor is wonderfully rich, with good bitterness, and a ton of woody oak character. The alcohol definitely comes through and keeps the hop flavor down somewhat, although the bitterness shines through.

Mouthfeel is towards the heavy side, as expected for the style.

Overall a very good beer, but doesn't have the hop character I would generally expect from an imperial IPA. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though - the oak, sweetness, and hints of alcoholic warmth fill out the beer very nicely.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

WOW....what a fantastic brew.

A: Liquid gold, literally. Pours a gorgeous gold with a nice frothy/hoppy head. You know your in for a treat once you see this baby settle into your glass.

S: Hops, malt, vanilla. The smell doesn't disappoint. There's more than IPA going on here...

T: The taste is fantastic. A delicious bitterness followed by a sweet malt finish with hints of oak, vanilla and caramel. As it warms the oak flavors become more pronounce.

M: Standard fair, not especially viscous or thick, but perfect for me.

D: Extremely high. This is easily once of the best IPA style beers I've ever had. The oak and sweetness keep it from being to hoppy. I could spend an entire evening sipping this brew if only it weren't such a precious elixer. Find yourself a case of this and buy it...you won't be disappointed.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

an orangy, brown nectar that seems to glow. Good two finger head. you can smell it as soon as you pop the top. grapefruit, hoppy green smells dominate the smell.you can also detect the alcohol with a slight burn in the nose. you can taste the 90 minute, mostly in your burps, but it is there with a more burnt goldent aste added to it. not as hoppy and much more reserved, but still clearly DFH. vanillia ntoes pop on the tounge. great thick luxourious mouthfeel, and way to drinable at 10%. perhaps one of the mospt outrageous yet well balanced and beautifully crafted DFH brews.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery