Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,849 | Ratings: 6,492
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

As the bottle label says, "Lush & enjoyable now, this beer ages with the best of 'em."

12 oz. bottle poured into a Perfect Pint glass

This beer did pour our lush just like the bottle says and had a thick, but not syrupy weight. The view through the glass was very cloudy and orange-ish amber with lots of bubbles racing to the top. A very creamy head formed quickly and sat firmly in the glass without much dissipation. Scents of orange and grapefruit mixed in the aromas.

The mouthfeel was consistent with imperial ales, in that it was heavier and a bit creamy. This beer went down easy without any bite. The flavors of hoppy bitterness is delicious, but doesn't give you a kick or linger for too long. It left me eager for another sip. This is a very enjoyable beer to take your time with.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an English pint glass. Has a nice dark copper hue with a 1 finger off white head.

Smell is similar to the 90 minute ipa in the sweetness aspect. The differences include more piney hop aroma and a vanilla note.

Tastes very similar to the 90 minute with a touch more hoppiness and a nice vanilla flavor. Works quite well. Kind of wished I tasted the oak more, but I understand it's hard to get good extraction without long times in the barrel which can hurt ipa flavor. The hoppiness is of grapefruit and pine. Mouthfeel is a tad hot but the barrels mellow it out more than with the 90 minute ipa.

All in all I'm not sure if this beer warrants the price hike. Sure it is better, but is it that much better? I am not sure. The experience with this beer makes me want to try the Oaked offering from Stone.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance- Crystal clear copper with a rapidly departing beige head.

Nose- lovely butterscotch and sherry with a pleasing hint of some earthy funk. It made me think of country ham.

The Palate is bold with flowery hop notes, pine, grapefruit, amontillado, toffee and alcohol. Lots of in your face and up your nose alcohol. Things just don't seem to be in balance here. It has a lot of good flavors, but it's not a particularly easy beer to drink.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

I purchased a single 12oz bottle of Burton Baton without knowing anything about it other than it was made by Dogfish Head. I'm glad I bought one!

The label says it is "An oak-aged Imperial India Pale Ale" and that does describe the style pretty well. From the first sip you know it is in the IPA family, but definitely not one of your crazy how-hoppy-can-I-make-it American IPAs. The flavor is muted and somewhat creamy, as if you combined the styles of IPA and stout.

However, for being creamy tasting, there was almost zero head when poured. I had to make a conscious effort to get 1/8" of head when I poured it. I'm not complaining, just stating the facts.

Overall, just know that it is an IPA with smooth creamy not-too-hoppy characteristics and definitely worth trying. The 10.0% alcohol by volume is barely notable in the taste, but after having one, you will know it is there.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Appearance is gorgeous, not a lot of head, but some lacing and a rich, deep amber color that's very clear. Smells not much of hops, which is what I expected, but more of ripe fruit aroma with a little hops in the background. Taste is similar to that of a 90 Minute IPA but with some of the hops replaced by a sweet, fruity flavor (I want to say a peach flavor, but I can't quite be sure). The alcohol is completely hidden in this brew, which is remarkable for 10%, the only trace is a slight warming sensation that lingers on the palate along with some sweetness. The alcohol comes through a bit more as the beer warms, but still is very hidden. The taste is very complex and rich, I think I could contemplate for a while on all the different tastes that are going on here. Mouthfeel is very smooth with only moderate carbonation. With the hidden alcohol this brew is extremely drinkable, it'll be hard to force myself to cellar one of these brews.

Overall this is instantly one of my favorite beers. I would like a little bit more head, and it might be a bit too sweet for some, but those are the only flaws I can see. A damned fine brew from one of the great American breweries.

3.01/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

First taste of this tonight. 12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

Appearance wasn't too unique, reddish-amber with a small foamy head that dwindled down to fine lace after a couple minutes.

Smell: very fruity, malty. Was very surprised by this. I was expecting a hop bomb given the "Imperial IPA" title. I could smell some woodiness, but if I didn't know it was oak, probably wouldn't have placed it. Lots of fruit and floral notes. Can't emphasize enough how sweet the beer smelled, almost like a Belgian something or other, not at all like an IPA.

Taste: could taste the woodiness at first few sips, then this characteristic seemed to dissipate as my tastebuds acclimated to the beer. Was surprisingly sweet and fruity. I initially liked it. A lot. Not too oaky. My buddy thought it was too fruity for an IIPA.

After a few sips, we decided that it was cloyingly and over-the-top sweet. However, it's late winter and quite cold out; we decided that this beer ice-cold on a hot and humid deck in mid-summer very well might kick ass. But today, we decided it was too sweet. Fruitiness: citrusy, but hard to tell if it's acid like grapefruit or sweet like an orange. Really needed more hops to counter this, or at least some tart citrus to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: pretty smooth. Not over carbonated.

Drinkability: I had little difficulty finishing my share. A whole bottle might have made me crave some really salty potato chips or something, as it was getting pretty sweet. I definitely would not have finished the 12-oz bottle.

I initially liked the beer. I may have been influenced by the description on the label and really wanting to like it, as I like most DFH beers. But the more I drank, the more I was seeking hops and something to cut the malty, fruity sweetness. Won't buy it again.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

The beer pours a very rich amber in the glass and the first smell is an overwhelming Hops scent that led me to initially dread its taste, but I was surprised. The initial taste is a strong burst of heavy hoppiness typical of most IPA's but the surprise was the lingering taste in the mouth. Definite hints of citrus, pine resin, toffee and perhaps maybe even butterscotch, blend for a smoothness in the drinkability. It does have a bit of grainy feel in its texture on the tongue but is definitely an easily drinkable beer especially for someone who is not a fan of hoppy IPA's.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

deep ruby red color. 2-3 fingers of head with aggressive pour. decent lacing. smell is of dark fruit-raisin/apricot and floral hop. woodiness is prevalent. deep oaky sweetness, floral hops, heavy toasted malt. full bodied. alcohol is noticeable and makes it a little hot. this is an interesting brew, i drank it fresh...but i wonder what it would taste like aged.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A - Dark amber with a perfect finger sized creamy head, and it lasts the entire time I'm drinking.

S - Smells sweet, with malt and caramel. I also detect some smokiness. This smells fantastic.

T - Crisp hops and alcohol bite. The second half of the sip is sweet, following the smell.

M - Tart at first, then moves into a smooth finish.

D - This is a sipper, but one I could have a few of. This would be great with a fine cigar. Class act.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 16oz shaker at once.

Nice balsa like head reduced to a layer of fuzz with some clinging around the periphery of the glass. Immediate aroma was fruity and subtle. Not intense with hops and citrus as I expected. This is my first go at this one.

Slight metallic bite at first. Very smooth and creamy. Nice tart character. The taste of alcohol is masked well. However, the warmth of the high ABV dominates the full feel. Sweetness peaks through as it opens up with time. The blend of wood aged beer is noted. The young blend is supressed by the aged. Odd that this imperial IPA remindes me of a stout or porter with the taste of well roasted malts. I would have failed the blindfold taste test with this one. Could it be the wood?

Nice and drinkable. Definately need to grab one to cellar for another taste in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter. From notes taken at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church.

A: Pink-grapefruit-tinged dark copper, a truly unique color. Decent off-white head layer, not much lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch, grape, mandarin orange and light citric scents, overall a very complex, winey. sweet smell, tempered by a slight tickle of citrus. The grape and butterscotch really come out as it warms up.

T: Wow, it's very thickly layered. Vanilla, caramel and butterscotch flavors lend a chewy sweetness to the brew, and the grape I smelled asserts itself with a kind of ice-wine-esque character that heightens with the temperature. Hops are there, mostly orangey and grapefruity, lending some IPA character to what really tastes more like an oak-aged barleywine. Sort of reminds me of a lighter, less cloying version of some of the Lees' Harvest Ale offerings. Very complex--odd that it is listed as having the 90 Min. as a component, as the oak-aging and English characteristics have made this almost unrecognizable as a cousin to that brew.

M: Despite the thick, chewy nature of the flavors, this is neither syrupy nor cloying. It's certainly a meal of a beer, but it would just make the four-pack last longer. Nice balance of big malty sweetness with highly comfortable feel.

D: It's a sipper, but it sure is a good 'un. Glad I ordered it.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Following an Oaked Arrogant Bastard; shockingly sweet in comparison.

Well, it looks better. Golden-red with a thick, long-retaining head just on the cream side of white.

General berry-sweet fruit in the scent; gentle malt is apparent, and a little sweet-hop aroma.

In terms of flavor, this beer, while being hugely enjoyable, is more sweet than I want it to be. It hints at hops and wood at every stage of a sip, but never gives enough of either.

The mouthfeel is detrimentally effected by the sweetness. My mouth candied up with improper ecstasy that I'd rather spend on bitterness or sourness. If I knew a lady that enjoyed beer, flowers, and sweets, I'd buy her every bottle of this I could. And I guess I'd hold onto a few for safe-keeping.

Overall, this is another version of a 'big-bad-wannabe-macro-but-good' beer that I'd recommend, but wouldn't quite serve to impress my beer buddies. It's fucking good, but that's all it is. And did I mention it's weirdly sweet?

I really wish this one sat on wood a good while longer, and at least another hop addition would have done is justice. Last word: very good, but.... well, give one to your non-beer-geek friends to get them on the path to great beers.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

I was excited to see another offering from Dogfish Head on the shelves at the local's popular liquor store!

I brought home my four pack and immediately opened one and poured into a pint glass. The aroma was wonderful-- carmel, hop, and almost something akin to brandy!

The taste was much sweeter than I anticipated, but wonderful. Not as hoppy on the finish as I would prefer, but an excellent beer anyway.

The alcohol in this one is quite sneaky. The sweetness of the beer hides the high alcohol content, that's for sure.

As I drank a delicate lace appeared on the glass, and just a hint of froth remained.

I tried to drink two of these in a two hour period, and although I succeeded, it was not easy. This beer wasn't at all disappointing, just a little too sweet for me. I'll save it for the occasions that call for a great dessert beer.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle from this year's batch into a Sam Adams Sensory glass.

Look: Appealing golden reddish-brown with a slightly tan head, I didn't get much head on my pour from a 12 ounce bottle, but I went easy on it. A steady stream of bubbles arose from the nucleation points at the bottom of my Sam Adams glass. The thin head quickly dissipated, but some light lacing was evident.

Smell: Not too strong, but a vanilla oakiness with maybe some fruit and hops - nothing too overpowering in the least.

Taste: This has some of the characteristics of all the trendy burbon-barrel aged beers but none of the overpowering flavor some of them exhibit. The initial flavors are sweet but not too sweet, with some nice caramel, vanilla, oak, and fruitiness, without being cloying. The snap of bitterness cleans the palate nicely with some sweetness and effervescence remaining on the tongue. I expected a beer with fairly low carbonation, but I feel the moderately high levels help to avoid an overly sweet and sticky beer. Some of the baking soda flavors I've been hating about high-IBU beers make their appearance a minute or so after swallowing, but aren't abhorrent.

Mouthfeel: As I mentioned, I think the carbonation levels help create a truly excellent mouthfeel - nearly on the levels of Saison Dupont perfection. It's full and smooth in the mouth and the sweetness is well-displayed, but the bubbles and hop snap leaves your tongue feeling ready for more.

Drinkability: Honestly, I consider most any beer highly drinkable if it's a style I enjoy. Burton Baton is quite dangerous, as the high ABV is disguised by a truly excellent mouthfeel that allows you to take one swig after another. A great beer from a brewery I would expect to make a high-end DIPA.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep deep amber with a two fingered head that dissipates slowly, but leaves beads of lace around my pint glass. Has a strong nose, I can smell it from across the room. Great floral hop smell, mixed with some woody and maybe a hint of booze. Aroma has some good fruit notes in it, kind of smells like apple juice.

First sip cleared my sinuses. A hop explosion!  Hops in the beginning, middle and end. They bounce around alot though. Some floral, earth and citrus taste. Not a huge booze taste right now, I'll come back when it warms down a bit. Bready, chewy malty taste that falls into a finish of fruity hops that I can feel all the way at the top of my head, my temples are throbbing, in a good way.

The mouthfeel is like a rollercoaster, swirls over the palete until it curls up in the back of my mouth with a fizzy, hoppy sizzle that shakes my jaw. Love it!!

This one is a slow drinker, but I enjoyed every sip of it. Each sip brings out something new. Glad I have three more.

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

Barrel aged and you can tell by the aroma and taste. Bit too much carbonation and definitely boozy, the 10% comes thru to me. Aroma is sweet, malty and like a kicked up 90 min DFH. More like a barley wine, and not really what i expected.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

served 12 oz bottle in my sam adams perfect pint glass

A-held up to a light, and it is a bronze, amber, orange, 1 inch frothy head this is slowly declining leaving a nice ring of lacing around it

S- very boozy, big sweet malt, piny and flowery hops, slight citrus

T-alcohol very noticeable which demand respects, sweet caramel/ biscuity malt and vanilla oak taste really comes through as the beer warms, large amount of malts mask flavoring hops but good amount of bittering hops still come through. Not a hop bomb. Man I love a balanced east coast DIPA. DFH beers don't attempt to hide the alcohol by any means. One of my favorite styles since i love malty yet hoppy beers.

M-creamy upfront from large amount of malt, finsihes drys from oak and hops

D- lil boozy, but I could probably drink 2 or 3

...still IMO best oak aged DIPA/IPA is Southern Tiers Oak Aged Unearthly...this one is in 2nd

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have now had this three times, out of the four pack, and it is starting to grow on me. It is not a "oaky" as mod barrel aged stuff, and not a "hoppy" as most DIPAs of late. But this beer is very well balanced, and does have a nice barrel aged character.

A: Typical, dark orange amber color, decent head.

S: IPA, not a lot of "barrel" on the nose.

T: this is where the oak comes in, and a nice, woody, hint of vanilla, "bitter" oak is seeping through.

M: Classic for DIPA, dry, but still thick in the back of the mouth. Lingers on the sides of the tongue.

O: Decent BA offering, but not typical of the bourbon aged stuff that has dominated the RIS season this past year. The BA IPAs are making a mark. I still like OA Unearthly better, though.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Belgian Independence Day tulip. Bottle date is 4/ 07/ 11. Making this bottle just over a year old.

A- Hazy amber color with a one finger head that holds strong. Very sticky lacing and active carbonation.

S- Sweet malts, caramel, raisin, oak, aged hops, bitter soap and slight amount of citrus. Very complex and nice. I'm surprised that the hops still find themselves in the nose.

T- Oak, toffee, tobacco, aged hops, bitter soap, vanilla and raisin. This is transitioning into a nice sweet complex ale. Still has some IPA characteristics but moving towards a complex barleywine. I like

M- Perfect. It is easy drinking with a smooth finish, no alcohol burn and balanced carbonation.

O- This beer is aging nicely. I cant wait to drink them at 2yrs, 3yrs, maybe 5? It is a beer that is not only good fresh but has great potential for placing in the cellar and drinking aged.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A- Pours a nice dark amber/orange with a quickly retreating two inch head, which leaves a heavy lacing as it withdraws. (All of the lacing eventually diappeared but it kept head until the final swallow.) The head itself is bright white.

S- The smell is mostly oak with a hint of citrus hops. The oak gives it that old "English" style aroma. I smell a little bit of fresh orange or grapefruit on the edges, but the oak is the main part of the nose.

T- The taste is very complex. Right out of the gate I get this heavy oak and malt thing going on, but just before I can properly diagnose it, the bitterness of the hops comes crashing through and the malt/oak only returns on the finish as a slight afterthough. In the hops I taste smokey grapefruit. Thats right, smokey grapefruit. It is a shocking as it sounds, yet it is very pleasing. The malt backbone leaves a little plum and bread taste on the finish. Very well balanced. It is the perfect struggle of sweet and bitter. For a 10 percent ABV, this one shows no trace of booze in the taste. A lot of big D-IPAs will have a booze finish or just overall boozy taste, but not this gem. It tastes like oak and oranges and hops and bread and plums and malt and maybe even molasses but not even a tiny hint of alcohol. I think they could sell this thing without checking IDs.

M- The mouthfeel on this thing is great, but a little bit odd. There is a lot of carbonation on the front of the tongue, but on the back of the tongue and in the swallow is it cask-condtioned flat. The odd part is that the carbonation on the front of the tongue lasts beyond the actual swallow. I have never had that happen before. In other words, the throat never burns, but the front of the tongue feels fizz all the way beyond the finish. Nice concept.

O- Although the oak is not normal for an American D-IPA, it adds something fun. It does, however, cause it not to have the taste characteristics I look for in a D-IPA. Not enough citrus in the taste. I feel obliged to take off points from the taste for the things it is missing for this style. It really needs a style category of its own. It is not sessionable because you can really only drink one or two in a day without getting hammered. It is a terrific brew worthy of sharing with only the most special guest. It is a little pricey, but I think it is worth it. It wont make my "best double ipa" list because it is not true to the style, but it makes my "top 5 beers ever" list hands down. Very well done and worth the price and the wait. Another great Dogfish offering.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - poured into a tulip glass a rosy copper color with a thin head. Medium bubbles and little lacing on the glass.

S - slightly spicy with floral and citrus notes.

T - sweet to start, finishing malty then back to sweet with an aftertaste reminiscent of barleywine. Pretty well balanced but a bit sweet and in my opinion could be more bitter.

M - smooth and pleasing; lightly carbonated

O - good beer by a great brewery but not overly exciting. I would definitely recommend to friends with a taste for barleywine. I think the hoppiness of an IPA gets lost a little though.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

4 pack from Beverage Mart on NY 66.

"Please share it with loved ones" - (I didn't)

Opaque peach-orange with a half an inch of creamy head. Very nice hop aroma. Minimal carbonation, good lace.

This is probably among one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Hops are ever present, as they should be -- but there's that smoky, earthy flavor the oak barrels impart. Really a great brew.

Well done DFH. The hits keep on coming.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottled dated 12/19/05 (9 months old)

Cloudy at first, but became a very clear deep amber as it warmed.

Very yeasty aroma and a slight sourness that dissapated after sitting for 15 minutes. A slight oakiness starts to come through as it warms.

Taste is much like the aroma with the addition of sweetness and slight flowery hop. Very little bitterness.

I remember this beer being more complex and woody when I first bought it. The hops have really subsided (too much IMO). I won't lay this down as long next time.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Love an opportunity to drink a Dogfish beer I haven't yet tried.

Poured into a thistle glass - becoming my new favorite glass for any IPA style.

Reddish-orange clear pour with a light head. Smells a little like Redpop with a little vanilla cream thrown in. May have been my nose, but I didn't detect a strong fragrance.

Tastes a bit like it smells. Bitterness from start to finish - lingers for longer than I prefer. Bitterness on the dry side, not getting much hop note with the bitterness.

Like all of their beers I have tried, this beer feels good to drink. I could sip through a couple no problem. No need to do more than that.

I little disappointed, not sure if I will get again.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Reviewed in a Bruery Tulip

A: A bold pour resulted with two fingers of a creamy head which dissipates rather quickly leaving behind a gorgeous, heavy-handed lacing.

S: Smell is lightly hoppy, not an in-your-face hop bomb IPA. The lightness is surprisingly orange and citrusy. There is a slight woody/oaky scent as it warms, but I'm mainly getting orange and not much wood, which is probably a result of being new to reviewing. There is a slight alcohol scent, but only towards the end.

T: Once again I get intense orange. It's a light and bright hop taste. The orange that I'm getting is close to cleaning solution/Gojo soap. It's not offensive, just surprising. I'm getting very little oak because the orange hides everything. It lets you know it's 10% only slightly in a final bite.

M: Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel. For some reason my preconceived notions thought it would be thick and syrupy, but this is not so.

O: A nice twist on 90 Minute, but it's an expensive beer that I'm not sure I will keep stocked in my fridge. I'm glad it's going year-round but I don't think I could handle many of these in a sitting.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery