Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Ratings: 6,570 |  Reviews: 1,874

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the bottle into Duvel tulip.

A--Dark amber with a huge (2-3 finger) thick, foamy head. Good lacing as the head faded away somewhat quickly.

S--piney hops, brown sugar, oak, vanilla. Definitely some booze coming through as well, but pleasantly.

T--Sharp hops up front, followed by the oak and some oily sweetness, then bitter. Finishes like boozy plum/raisin.

M--a bit oily and thick, which I really like, not a lot of carbonation coming trough.

O--Solid overall. Curious to see what aged and super fresh versions would taste like - seems this one is in the middle and would've been better either younger or older.

1.52/5  rDev -63.6%

I bought this thinking it wasn't an ipa. Stupid mistake, ipas aren't my thing. I'm a huge fan of dogfish head but I should have stuck with the midas touch(dollar cheaper). It smelled like the smell outside after it rains and the frogs come out and get squished on the road. I passed it around and several people agreed. After rain smell or dead frogs smell. Taste was a mouthful of hops mixed with grapefuit peels mixed with more hops. I felt the high quality of this beer but I would never spend the $14 on it again

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

I think this one is one of my favorite DFH brews to go along with 120 min IPA.

It does smell a bit boozy, and the reason is obvious: it is strong at 10% ABV. I thought the flavors was good with the oak helping push the flavor profile a bit further along rather than being a typical IPA on steroids.

The mouthfeel is a bit biting, but again, it's because of the strong alcohol that is kicking my butt. The carbonation is still kicking, and it sure feels like I am drinking a beer.

Overall it's a good beer, and DFH is a good brewery to start with for people starting to try new beers.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

A: orange jammy body, trace white head,
patchy lacing

S: big grapefruit, oak, peach, pine, earthy malt

T: grapefruit, mild mango, pine, malt,
long sticky oaky bitter finish

M: med/heavy, big oily/sticky mouth

O: Hidden boozy/alcohol warmth, could
be a amazing. Would get again,
but there are other better Double IPAs
(one of my favorite styles), that I prefer.

VERY GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery