Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

#838
Liked:
4.23/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 6526-6550 | 6551-6575 | 6576-6600  | next → last
Ratings: 6,582 |  Reviews: 1,879
4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with no vintage or freshness date, the website says it was brewed in 2004.

Appearance: Hazed orange amber with a thin lining of off-white lace, good stickage on the side of the glass.

Smell: Flowery with an almost rosewater like aroma, ripe fruit is in the back with some toasted grain.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Super creamy with a mellow smoothness, nice showing of malt upfront … good to have a sturdy beginning. Herbal, flowery and mildly soapy hop character. Bucket full of fruity esters and oak punch through but the hops hold strong. Suggestions of ruby red grapefruit and mango come to mind. Mild alcoholic bite leaves a long lingering warmth.

Drinkability & Notes: This is one hefty double IPA, I paired it with a creamy Danish blue cheese and honey wheat crackers. Big time kudos to DFH for keeping it real as usual.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer poured a bright copper/orange color with a medium white head that leaves a ring of lace down the side of the glass. The aroma is the grassy/piney note that you expect from the DFH offerings mellowed by the oak that lends a hint of vanilla. The vanilla combines nicely with the toffee character of the malt. Taste does not have the “malt-up-front” I’m used to and expect in the DFH IPA. Much more subtle. The vanilla/toffee character comes across stronger than I expected too. Very rich and smooth mouth feel. Very little hop bite. Mellow alcohol warming. Very drinkable beer.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Funny they use the term "elusive" in the description of this beer, because it does have flashes of greatness, but just falls a bit short. Dark copper color with a compact white head. Thin, spotty lacing. The aroma is pretty bright, with hops, grapefruit and caramel. The oak presence is there as well. Medium-bodied with a flavor profile on the verge of being spectacular, it just appears there is one piece missing somewhere. Subtle woody character, with hops, citrus along with a creamy sweetness. The finish is sweet fruit and fresh hops. Lots of pieces to the puzzle here, and if they came together perfectly this beer would be world class. Even with that I enjoyed this one a lot. Great potential here.

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle. Clear deep orange, tanish head. Bourbony, malty, alcohol, meaty floral aroma, with a touch of brown sugar. Rich malty flavor, with molasses, carmel, alcohol, and single malt all blended together. Big full mouth feel. Not too dry, not too sweet. Rather barley wine like, and somewhat remeniscent of BA Old Salty and Insanity. Maybe a bit pricy at 14 bucks a 4 pack, but worth at least one purchase.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Pours with 1/2" head; lingers a bit, with very modest lacing on the glass.

Coppery body with no carbonation.

Hoppy/spicy aroma - really quite complex, with additional hints of sweetness and an earthy oak scent as well.

Rather thick in the mouth; no fizz, but leaves a pleasant coating.

Taste is also quite complex, with initial hoppiness followed by a malty sweetness. Nowhere near the overpowering hops I had expected (which, for me, is a real plus - I don't get the tastebud burnout I've experienced from some hop bombs). A bit more hops in the aftertaste as well.

Goes down VERY smooth - it's hard to believe this is really 10% ABV. If it truly is, it does the best job of masking the alcohol of any similar brew I've tried.

Certainly not a "session beer," but 6 to 12 ounces of this is most welcome on a cold and snowy Ohio evening (or afternoon, for that matter)!

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(I've tweaked this review a week after the fact after having this again. A recent Belgian ale with similar hops gave me a bizarre new appreciation for this beer.)

Pours to a dulled, slightly opaque brown with a moderate creamy head atop the beer. The aroma screams "nature meets man" as there's a distinctly natural oaky vanilla and wet wood aroma that mingles with bubblegum, phenols, and lemon sponge cake. Orange and lemon peel w/ that sugary lemon icing one might find on an angel's food cake. Snappy spring flowers.

Most notable is the creamy mouthfeel once consumed. Quite airy -- almost mousse-like in texture. The wood gets played up in the flavor along with a light banana and caramel sweetness. A mild astringency hits way, way, way back on the tongue and fades almost as quickly as it came.

The creamy mouthfeel really did wear on me a bit as this marched on; I'm glad I had a wife with whom to share this. Otherwise, it's underlikely I would have finished. Scant carbonation doesn't help the cause, though I'm sure that may change a bit over time.

A major plus: 10%? I see that 10% like I see my Detroit Lions winning a game. That is to say, I don't see it at all. And in a way, it's the most impressive thing about the beer.

I can see this getting better over time. I can also see it fading away. We'll see what comes of it. It's very interesting, as many folks have come to expect from DFH.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ML bottle with a rather amusing looking country-western fellow on the front. Thank you, Michael Jackson.

Pours a nice cloudy orange color with amber tint. There is very little head, what I could manage to get out of it was around 3/4 of a finger. Lacing is okay, but there is very little carbonation in this beer so the collar is somewhat lacking.

Smell is very woodsy. Oak, floral, very outdoors. Piny citrus from the hops and a very nice mellow woody sweetness from the oak aging.

Taste is very nice. There is definitely an IPA feel to this beer but I really don't know if I could call it an IPA. There is definitely a fair amount of hop bitterness, but it so well undercut by the oakey sweetness, that it winds up not nearly hoppy enough in my mind to be called an IPA, let along a double IPA. Now, I've never had a Burton ale, so I have little to compare this to in that respect, but I know what I like and I like this.

The only thing that suffers on this beer is the mouthfeel and really only because this is a very thick beer and there is not a whole lot of carbonation. I would, personally, prefer a bit more carbonation, but with a brew this sweet and thick it's not that bad.

Overall, I would say that this is exceptionally drinkable for the thickness and ABV, it is certainly one that I enjoyed and certainly something that I feel that DFH should be commended for.

firstprev| 6526-6550 | 6551-6575 | 6576-6600  | next → last