Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

#866

Ratings: 6,609 |  Reviews: 1,885
3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

This beer didn't really blow me away. I was surprised, as Dogfish Head usually pushes the limits of brewing and makes some of my favorite beers. This however was a bit odd. And don't get me wrong, I generally like weird beers. Pours a fairly clear golden amber color with a bit of white head resting on top. Scent is very hoppy at first, all citrussy, but there's this strange scent that it's mixed with... oddly reminds me of catfood or tuna or something. Interesting, different, but not particularly appetizing. Taste was much the same. A bit sweet and not quite bitter enough for a double IPA. The aged flavor doesn't really work here with the mix. Average mouthfeel but something just isn't quite working with this beer. Seems like all the flavors clash rather than work with each other. I kind of got bored of drinking this one after a while. Maybe a little tweaking and this beer could be improved.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Cool label. I think I may have overpaid for this. $6.45 a bottle at Downtown Liquors in Somerville. But hey, I had to buy it, because I knew it wouldn't be coming to Utah--ever.
Bright golden orange to copper body with a small, but prevalent, off-white/sand head. Decent lacing. Aromas of candied fruit (pineapple, mango, pear, etc.), cedar, alcohol, some caramel even, along with a healthy dose of resiny, pitchy hops. Very nice.
Tangy sweet fruit flavors up front. Malt develops some sweetish caramel roll flavors too, but the tangy, slightly acidic fruitiness stays there. Right before the hops come in, the palate turns oaky with some tannins. Interesting. Hops are resinous and spicy and provide an ample bitter burn. Alcohol is there, but isn't out of whack, it just adds to the complexity. Medium-full bodied; starts with a frothy, creamy-yet-bubbly mouthfeel, and then gets thicker in the finish. Worth $6.45, but sadly, this was my only bottle.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pouring from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass, it pours a honey/amber color w/ 1 finger thick o spongy, slight tan head that clings to a glass like Sulldaddy to a fat-chick! Aroma is mostly citrus hops with some slight caramel tones. It even exudes a little biscuit aroma and just enough alcohol to tickle your nose. Taste is a sweet, citrus (grapefruit) flavor with a buttery feel up front. The finish is a little bit of biscuits along with some drying alcohol, which gives a little oak barrel flavor. The feel is a little oily and smooth with a bit of dryness on the finish. Lots of bellywarming from this one! A little sweet for my taste, and I expected a little more floral hops than it gave, but I have another and I want to age it for a year to see what happens! Very enjoyable! Just a well balanced, fun brew!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a clear amber with a great fluffy 2 finger white head that lasts. Aroma is a little floral, with some sweetness and a orange brulee scent. Its as if someone took a torch to an orange rind and caramelized the oils. Taste has the same citrus sweetness with a bit of citrus oil bitterness. There is just a slight woody note. Its if the 90 minute and the wood aged parts are fighting for the title. There is also a taste there that i cant find, but it is so deep and good maybe a bit of lemon tartness or is it more floral, or a combination? There is a nice bit of sweetness to counter act the hops. Mouthfeel has a touch of sticky sweet hop notes like a natural citrus candy. Well carbonated and very smooth. This is tip top drinkable. Not quite as great as the straight 90 minute in my mind as something is just a little different and less. Overall however this is a great beer. I hope they make more of this, maybe the price will drop then.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a 12 oz into a goblet. Big beer, big glass. Dark orange and cloudy to boot. Foamy head finally gave way and left some drippy lacing on the glass. Hops and oak dominate the smell, just like the label says it should. Taste starts off smooth and malty with a flavor, probably from the wood, that has wine characteristics...is it tannins? My palate is not quite sophisticated enough (or rather my vocabulary) to name the flavor. Suffice it to say that it gives aways to some aggressive hoppiness and spicy alcohol. The alcohol bite reminds me of a good barley wine, the hoppiness reminds me of most of the IPAs from DFH. The carbonation while not necessarily visible is certainly present in the mouthfeel.

This beer could replace an old ale or barley wine as that special digestif. Break this out after desert and move to the living room for conversation. I guarantee that at least some of that conversation will be about this brew.

After my mind wrapped around the initial shock of the tastes, it settle down into quiet enjoyment. Excellent brew.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%

Perhaps I was expecting too much from this bier. Perhaps my palate is ruined tonight for some reason or maybe this bier spent time in the hot, bright place.

For whatever reason, I am not very impressed with this.

Nice dark amber, a little flat. Average at best around aroma, flavors are nondescript.

This bottle came as a gift from a friend who aquired them on the cheap...I hope his was better.

I will re-review this in the future in all fairness. I can not see DFH releasing something of this poor a quality.

John

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Boy am I cheesy. The bros write articles about Curiuex and Burton Baton, so yesterday I reviewed Curiuex and today the Baton. Oh well, both are interesting beers and worth trying, at least once.

Appearance: from a 12oz glass. Pours a deep amber brown. Some floaties in the beer, perhaps from the oak aging or bottle conditioning. Tiny head, which lingers around the edge of the glass. Hey, what do you expect from a beer with this gravity?

Smell: Biscuity, doughy, with hints of citrus and perhaps the tinest bit of vanilla.

Taste. Wonderfully complex but it fatigued my pallette quite quickly. On my first sip I noticed hints of vanilla and other oak induced flavors, mixed with American hops. Quickly though, the hops wore my tongue out, and the malt characteristics began to dominate. This is a rather sweet beer, and much less of a hop attack than I expect from a double IPA, or even the 90 minute IPA which makes up half of this brew.

Mouthfeel.Thick, almost syrupy, very good.

Drinkability: wish it had a bit more hop character. For those who enjoy a strong oktoberfest though, you might love this one.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Bright orangey amber in color with a thin almond colored head. I noticed the beer is full of fine particulates or tiny suspended bubbles. The beer remains clear regardless. There is no kidding around when you take a whiff of this one. It is surely potent. Audaciously oaky with a warm alcohol spiciness. Resinous, nutty and sticky, inviting, no daring me to take a sipÂ…
The taste is sweeter than I thought it would be. The body is lighter, too. This is not a real heavy drinking beer. It goes down pretty easy and finishes spicy, with a lingering alcohol bite that stays in the throat. As the beer warms, an intricate texture of caramelized slices of tannic bitternuttiness (new word) presents itself. Overall, I enjoyed the experience of drinking this beer. It was very interesting.

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a light copper color with one finger of head. There's a touch of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very unique. It has a lot of earthy aromas and a good amount of charred wood character. Tons of hoppiness as well. The taste is simply amazing. Sweet pale malt up front, with some caramel sweetness. Then it's taken over by wood flavors and a slight hint of orange peel. A nice hoppy finish rounds it out. Not a hint of alcohol in sight. The mouthfeel is very thick and heavy, yet smooth. The drinkability is murderous. A fantastic brew.

The broes enticing review had my mouth watering for this one. The beer has a great dark copper-red color and modest head. Immediately I smelled hops and fresh malt. Big grapefruit hop smell. Surprising amount of carbonation that on second taste seems appropriate. This beer really has a woody element to it that reminds me of hickory smoked barbeque. The 90 Minute IPA has always been one of my favorites, but this may be a hair better. It becomes lighter on the pallette when it warms and the hops really "blossom." I think this might be my first five! Definitely going to age a few of these.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

First tried this one at the 2005 EBF, and then sought it out and picked up a single at Colonial in Acton, MA.

Poured a copper color with an off-white head. The aroma is comprised of hops combined with additional complexities that I can't quite put my nose on.

Taste is rich, probably the oak influencing that aspect., The DFH 90 minute portion of the blend isn't as noticeable as I would think. If this was a blind taste test, I'd probably think this was a barley wine. The hops are more present on the finish. Mouthfeel is good, I'd like to drink 2 of these in a session, but the high ABV and intense hoppy flavor would make it difficult to really appreciate any more.

I'd like to try a few more Burton Batons, but at $13 bucks a 4 pack, and it being a limited release, it may be a while..

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Twelve ounce brown bottle, no dates.

Slightly cloudy. Medium amber colour. Thin off white head leaves sheets of lace behind. Quite striking.

Aromas of lemon pith & orange. Along with some subtle pine.

Woody & lemony. Good balance. Somewhat heavy handed oak flavour. Very slight hints of vanilla. Full bodied, relaxed carbonation. Another winner from DFH.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to LuckySevens82 for sending this my way. It pours a light copper color with a tall head that hangs around for a while. The aroma has some citrus notes as well as some woody character, from the oak. Quite a bit of spiciness and citrus hops. I expected the flavor to be huge in hop character, but it wasn't. It had a lot of hops in it, but they were nice and mellow and flowed really well with the malt profile of the beer, making it very well balanced. Quite a bit of spices and some oak in the flavor. Honestly, I couldn't detect much of the alcohol, especially for 10%. Dangerously drinkable. Great beer!

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

I really dig Dogfish Head. They are always trying new weird stuff, and while it doesn't necessarily work all the time, it's cool to see what they can come up with. This one, fortunately, works, and works well

It pours a decent but not spectacular amber colour with a thin to non existent head that is white in colour.

The smell is mainly of wood and malt. Alcohol is mixed in as well along with a touch of sweetness way in the back.

The flavour is a very, very nice blend of the two IPA's used here, and it's defninitely a bit tamer than expected. There are more dirty/wood/earth notes here and the hops and malt are well balanced but both remain bold at the same time. Alcohol is warming but not very noticeable overall. There is a bit of fruit flavour mixed in throughout as well. Tasty indeed.

The mouthfeel is full and chewy and just about right here. This one is a sipper, but a very nice one at that.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Hmm...Burton Baton. I'm intrigued by the label that tells me this beer is a mix of young and old IPAs aged in French oak; intrigued because I like hops and like the effect that age can have on hops. That said, this wasn't quite what I expected, but I still like it. I liked the earthy, woody aroma of this ale. I liked how the earthiness and vanilla-oakiness emerged among the caremelly malt and herbal hop flavors. I am surprised by the clarity of this brew. I'm not surprised that as I poured this light amber elixir there was little foam, yet a tingle of carbonation that seems to accent what bitterness hides beneath the sweet malt and oaky flavors. Double IPA? I don't think so (not enough hop spiciness) -- more a well attenuated barleywine to me -- that I think really needs to age some more, so I'm tucking the remaining bottles away in a place where I'll forget about them.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

nice deep amber with a litle bit of haze. pretty thick frothy head that laces pretty well. the aroma is a woody pungent grassy grapefruit hoppiness, with some caramel notes mingled with some old ale-esque aged aromas.
fruity and slightly herbal hops with a bit of oak. balanced with a good dose of caramel malt and a bit of vanilla here and there. there is a sort of lingering spiciness, that sort of dries things out. the alcohol iss really covered up well. a little bit of oxidation that adds some good complexity
not as full of a body as one might expect with smooth carbonation, with an almost cask like quality, especially as it warms. intensely drinkable. overall very well balanced, great tasting, and a real pleasure to drink. worth every penny of the 13.99 4 pack. i'd like to pick up one to cellar.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a hazy amber-orange with a smallish head.

Big time aroma, lots of different elements. Nice flowery and citrus aroma along with some lemon. No hint of alcohol, surprising for a 10% beer.

Medium-full body, fairly smooth. Big fruitiness blends with a mellow flowery hoppiness. The flavors from the barrel aging show up faintly with a light spiciness and a bit of oak, but aren't the star of the show. Nice malt balance, though the hops dominate. Near the end suggestions of mango and other tropical fruits show up as does a bit of caramel flavor.

A very interesting Double IPA. Certainly hoppy but not as much as the 90 minute.

A gigantic thank you goes out to Luckysevens82 for supplying this delightful treat.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to luckysevens82 and clvand0 for bringing this to my glass. It pours a deep copper color with a 2 finger thick head. The nose is great, with great citrusy hops but with a great spicey wood character. Wow. Smells nice. The flavor is super mellow. Sweet hops over a nice caramel base, but the wood character hits on the aftertaste. Very nice. The beer is really warming after swallowing. The feel is nice and thick, with a slight carbonation. Outside the warming feeing in my stomach, this doesn't drink like a 10% beer. Another winner from DFH.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a light amber orange color with a whispy white head. Aromas are a mix of lemony and citrus hops with a huge dosage of hard caramels. Initial flavors are a strong mix of caramels with a huge lemon zest bite, and a resinous earthy hop smack. Within this wonderful mix is a slight oaky vanilla character and just an absolutely smooth and creamy mouthfeel. There is an apparant sweetness throughout this brew but it does not overpower or take anything away from the wonderful caramels and hops. The finish is only slightly bitter but nicely fruity with a nice firm citrus flavor that ends with just a hint of sweetness. Overall a very enjoyable brew and super drinkable (is this seriously 10%?). A great offering by Dogfish Head. Also awesome label graphic.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

an orangy, brown nectar that seems to glow. Good two finger head. you can smell it as soon as you pop the top. grapefruit, hoppy green smells dominate the smell.you can also detect the alcohol with a slight burn in the nose. you can taste the 90 minute, mostly in your burps, but it is there with a more burnt goldent aste added to it. not as hoppy and much more reserved, but still clearly DFH. vanillia ntoes pop on the tounge. great thick luxourious mouthfeel, and way to drinable at 10%. perhaps one of the mospt outrageous yet well balanced and beautifully crafted DFH brews.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The color is a nice amber, with a very nice thick foamy head that refuses to go away. The smell is a
The taste starts with a bit of hoppiness of a C-hop nature, though at 80 IBUs the caramel-ish malt definitely shines through as does the smokiness from the oak in the beer, which is definitely reflected in the aftertaste as well, as is just a slight burn of alcohol. Mouthfeel is very creamy . As for drinkability, definitely a pretty decent sipper that I'd love to have more of (Dogfish...are you listening??)

Yes, I found the "Imperial Double Dry-Hopped Oak-Cask Aged IPA" (it helps that this was one I was looking for anyway), and yes, I opened it just to be contrarian. But I'm glad I did because this is really enjoyable. This is the 2nd of what I call Imperial Single IPAs that I've had (which I mention mostly since they have too much malt sweetness to be lumped in with other DIPAs, including DFH's own 90 Min), and while it doesn't jump out as boldly as the Stoudts, the more mellow flavor is a nice contrast, and also gives this quite a nice drinkability (especially since it definitely has oak aging, but isn't overdone the same way some of the more recent ones have seemed to do). A truely enjoyable beer, one that I'm happy to get my hands on, and certainly one I'd like to see in the future (2nd chance guys!!!)

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a deep orange with a small head that fades quickly but left lace. Smell is hoppy and sweet with some notes of oak. The taste is similarly hoppy but with a strong malt presence that tempers things out. The flavor is full of citrus with notes of vanilla and spice. The oak really comes through in the finish, which is creamy and not unlike a good bourbon. Mouthfeel is ultra-thick and well-suited to the taste.
Overall, an interesting and tasty take on the style that was a real treat to sip.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

A big thanks to Luke's for having this 4 pack at a decent price ($13.99).
Pours a very clear copper w/ a full finger and a half of tan head that sticks around for almost the full duration of the pint.
Spiced hops up front w/ vanilla, caramel, and a hint of alcohol in the background.
Taste is an explosion of hops. Again, the alcohol is detected. The oak aging adds a very unique, yet desirable quality. Warms up the body rapidly and hits the head w/out warning.
Mouthfeel is a thick, syrupy delight...could put down a few of these, but a session brew...don't think so.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Very nice,pale color-some great orange hues in there. No real head to speak of but theres some very nice lacing going on. Somewhat subdued hop aroma-whats there is grassy with a touch of citrus. Slight spiciness-almost comes thru as a vanilla/cinnamon cross. Big,slick malt and hop combination in the flavor. Theres more malt then hops if you ask me. Very minimal oakiness to it. Almost quenching in the finish. Killer body-love that oily feel. An extremely enjoyable beer but not as intense as the label might have you believe.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Twirled one about with this one on 2/5/2005. 12-oz. bottle poured in a shaker.

Some quick lacing of head with a flat covering. Very light copper hue, with almost an orange glow, and tons of clarity with a great deal of action. To nose, kind of a hop with cloaking device employed on it; slight juiciness, like lemon Starburst. Surprised by how tempered the hop character is; more malt actually seems to come through; also, a light char character hits, likely the result of the barreling. Creamy mouthfeel lingers for a bit and then the warming alcohol notes pull through. Excellent.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery