Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,846 | Ratings: 6,480
3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz single bottle purchased for around $4.50 from Charles St Liquors in Boston. Brewed on date appears to be in February 2008, consumed at the end of May 2008 after being jealous that I didn't attend the DFH dinner at beerbistro in Toronto two nights before. Pours a cloudy, medium gold with a bit of head and just a bit of gentle carbonation. Aroma isn't too strong, and reminds me of some sherry-like barleywines - not my favourite thing, so I'm concerned. Ends up there's nothing to be concerned about. First sip is nice - very full and rich. The flavour is complex, like a Belgian. Hops are not dominant, but provide a nice bitterness as the beer goes down the throat a bit hot. Oak is noticeable. Full bodied. A nice sipper.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into 13 oz tulip. Pours a cloudy reddish orange, with a one inch head, nice looking lacing, not a ton of it. Smell is some orange, pine, a little breadyness, and some fresh cut grass. Taste is similar, with some oak and some alcohol. Not as much as fresh, but this was bottled on 11/22/10. Never figured out if I like more fresh or with time, I have aged a few on the suggestion of my fellow BA's. Definitely less boozey, but as a hop head less tasty for my liking. Body on the heavy side, but drinkable for it's abv. A very good oaked DIPA.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

A: A great deep amber red. A slight reddish white head that doesn't stick around, but there is some decent lacing going on.

S: Notes of citrus hops, pine, yeast, sweet malt, vanilla, oat in the background.

T: Very sweet, despite being a fairly fresh bottle. Has a yeasty, malty taste, caramel upfront. Does to a secondary layer of citrus, pine, and even floral hops, lastly comes the vanilla and woody oak. The oak is rather subtle, compared the bottle I had a few years ago, despite being more fresh. Maybe this one needs some age on it, or my palate has grown a bit. Would almost prefer the taste of 90 minute.

M: Full body, well carbonated, a touch of alcohol.

O/D: It's a good beer, the oak isn't as predominant as I'd like it to be, but the taste is satisfying. Can't decide if I want more or less of a hop bite, but something's a touch off from giving this beer a better score.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

Burton Baton pours a dark amber color with a nice foamy head. Smells of cedar and citrus right upfront. Tastes of grapefruit, sweet malts and cedar with earthy notes. Mouthfeel is crisp yet somewhat creamy. Drinkability is higher than it should be for a 10% beer. Though the 10% is hidden very well. Nice.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Pours a copper/orange with a finger thick off white head, excellent lacing.

S: Scents of piny hops and caramel up front with some slight hints of oaky vanilla.

T: A little hot up front, but blends into a crisp hoppy finish, oak flavor is a lot weeker than I was expecting.

M: Medium body with slight carbonation.

D: Very smooth for a 10% ABV, yet don't think I could have more than two (this isn't factoring in the 10%).

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

4 pack of 12oz bottles was $14 at GrapeVine Market in Austin, TX. This was my 2nd sample:

Way too sweet for me, reminiscent of an over-sweet barley wine and their Midas Touch in that respect. Not as hoppy as I would have thought; little to no hop bitterness. Vanilla clove sweetness dominates. Complex flavor though. I like their 90 and 120 minute a lot better, although not to so say this is my third favorite of theirs. Definately a let down based on the packaging and high score on BA. I'm so glad I bought them at room tempaeraure, and I'm not going to open another for a long time in the hopes they will not be as sweet.
At the end of this 2nd sample I added a touch of their IBA and liked it alot better. I wonder how good a mix of their BB and 120 would be.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

A: has a very attractive amber appearance. only about a quarter inch of head.

S: A strong malty odor followed by a very nice fruity aroma.

T: tastes like a mix between the 90 minute and the Rasin de Etre. the vanilla flavor is the first thing that pops out and stays with you the whole sip. theres a strong malty flavor and a little bitterness in the back round.

M: A little extra syrupy with a light carbonation. its still pretty smooth though.

D: I would love to drink one of these every now and then but its not something i would want to drink all night.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

Bought at a local craft beer store in Jing An Shanghai China.

A: The beer is a pure hazy orange color with a 2 finger thick off-white head.

S: Citrusy with hints of floral hops. Hidden hops in here all over the place. Each sip revels a new classic hop note.

T: Heavy on the booze and hop - this beer has a sweet citrus taste up front followed by a dry kick to the face with lots of sap and grapefruit and some other citrus peel.

F: Full bodied with a bit of thickness in the feeling.

Overall: Nice beer - not sure if it lives up to the hype it receives. Nt a legendary beer but not bad at all either. In fact it's very drinkable, if a bit predictable.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

a nice orange amber color, with an off-white thick head that will stay. lacing is left around the glass.
the aroma is of hops and oak mainly. the citrus/pine and the smokey earthiness from the oak compliment each other well.
the brew tastes oaky with its imperial IPA characters also very evident. alcohol is present in the taste too.
the mouthfeel is pretty good, it has high carbonation.
burton baton is a pretty drinkable beer. dogfish head does some pretty wild things. one of my friends says that dfh brews seem like wild home brew experiments that they decide to bottle. i definitely would like to give them more credit than that. i enjoy burton baton as well as other beers they make.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Dark copper body, very thin creamy head that stays around

N - Aroma is subtle, not overpowering or in your face at all. Definitely notice the oak age and a piney, slightly smokey tone

M - Full but not too sticky

T - Really enjoyed the taste of this beer. Contray to what others have said, I felt the alcohol was very well hidden which, as you can imagine, makes for a dangerously easy to drink brew. I sensed a maple taste and piney hops. Some bitternes but not much. Smooth finish.

O - Enjoyed this one and am really satisfied with the purchase. I'm drinkin' a couple fresh and cellaring the other two.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Hazy dull orange. Razor-thin tan head with moderate lacing.

S: Who bought me flowers? Sweet grains on the back side of the aroma. Definite ripe fruit in there, too.

T: Oak is there with force. Fruity esthers and a twinge of an alcohol bite also present themselves. Very warming brew.

M: Creamy and mellow. Med-Light body and ok carbonation.

D: You get enough of the 90 to make you long for it. This is a mellower, smoother DIPA. Depending on your mood, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. I liked it, but thought the oak effect was a bit overstated.

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I wasn't too impressed with this beer. I think I hyped myself up too much for the experience, unfortunately. It did seem to get better and better with each sip, but not enough to place it in the upper echelons of beers I've tried as of yet.

It pours to a ruby red amber color with a thin white bubbly head that recedes to a thin layer. No active carbonation, ho haze. If only this beer had a decent head, it would be worthy of a 5, but alas I only had a single 12 oz which yielded nothing.

The smell is very vanilla oaky. There is a very funky biscuit aroma to the malt, remnicient of the DFH Shelter Pale. Alcohol is huge and up-front in the nose.

The taste was very good as it warmed. Has a definite woody character to it that balances well with the malts and hops. The beer has a large residual sugar content as well as a bit of a tangy and tart sourness. The aftertaste starts off syrupy and sweet but really picks up on the vanilla character along with a hint of that funky, biscuity malt that I didn't quite like in the nose. The hops seem to stay low key in this beer, though they add a small spiciness on top of the alcohol bite.

The mouthfeel reveals the alcohol and woodiness, but seems to be a bit thin and watery. Finishes quite dry. Drinkability suffers, though I am sure I wouldn't turn down another.

Thanks to GCBrewingCo for this bottle.

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearence - This beer has a very beautiful dark caramel color that really stands out at first but then as you examine the colors of the beer you will notice some tints of redish orange tones. The head is nice and creamy with a light caramel color to it that disipates and leave a nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell - Nose is invaded with a sweet citrusy twang that has a fresh hop aroma that is followed up with a slight blend of caramalized surgar.

Taste - Nice hoppy bite at first (it is a Imperial IPA) then it is followed up with a roasted nutty sweetness, mild vanilla mixed with a citrusy spice. The beer finishes off very earthy leaving a bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel - Very medium bodied, coats the palate with a wave of pure excellant craftsmanship, leave your mouth watering for more.

Drinkability - Very good, nice smoothness about this brew, it is almost like a fine single malt scotch, since its an occasional brew from DFH I highly recommen giving it a try when the opportunity presents itself. As always with DFH this is another wonderful creation and another one gets hit over center field out of the park.

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance -- Pours a blazing orange with rose highlights, faint haze, and two fingers of stiff beige head. Biggest head I've ever seen on an IIPA.

Smell -- Pine sap, citrus, and a bit of earthiness in the hops department. Fresh ground cinnamon, cracker and gooey caramel malts. Diacetyl evident. Smells woody, but not what is expected from an oak barrel. Staves?

Tate -- Grapefruit, pineapple and apricot, fresh pine, caramel, buttered crackers. Not a lot of woody character; a bit of oak earthiness, spice, and faint vanilla. Finish is a strong push of tropical fruit and pine resin.

Mouthfeel -- medium in body with mild carbonation; starts of prickly, finishes creamy. Mild oaky astringency. Oily and astringent finish.

Drinkability -- Not bad. On the whole, probably my favorite DFH IIPA. While certainly hop-forward, it's still quite malty and could pass as a thin American Barleywine. It's a good beer for certain, but dyed-in-the-wool hopheads may wish to look elsewhere.

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Bottled on: 03/28/12 07:51
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a gorgeous, glowing, orangey-amber color and was quite hazy initially. It appeared that some of the yeast sneaked into the glass. The chill haze eventually dropped to reveal a nearly clear body. The liquid was topped by a dense, creamy, three-finger head of eggshell colored foam. Lots of streaky lacing clung to the glass. The head slowly faded to a lasting cap of froth.

The aroma was a bit subdued initially but came out as the beer warmed. Lots of grapefruit zest. Yeasty and somewhat sweet. The nose turned even sweeter and punchier with time. Candied orange peel was noticeable. Good dose of biscuity malts. Some fusel-like booziness was detectible as well.

The flavor profile was similar to DFH's 90 Minute IPA, yet it seemed more simplistic. Grapefruit zest dominated the front end. Some caramel and biscuity malts lent a decent amount of balance. As the beer warmed, the flavor turned fuller and sweeter. Candied orange peel was apparent. Somewhat yeasty and sweet. Grapefruit rind came through strong on the back end. The finish was piney, bitter and moderately hot. Unfortunately, I could not pick up any indication of the oak aging.

The mouthfeel was respectable. Medium bodied. Frothy, soft and somewhat creamy on the palate. The liquid contained a fine, moderate effervescence.

Because Burton Baton is classified as a double IPA, I assumed that I should drink my bottle fresh. However, I later discovered that this beer has more similarities to a hoppy barleywine than an IPA and thus might benefit from some aging. Given some time, this could be a real winner.

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Giving DFH yet another go-round. We'll see.

Appearance- Nice copper color. Full inch of very creamy, off-white head. Caps nicely. Laces beautifully. It's a nice color, and a good looking beer.

Smell- Lots of pine and resin. Definitely a hint of booze. The oak is very noticeable. Rich caramel malt.

Taste- Rich and malty. The booze is quite noticeable. The oak is strong as well. If finishes with some hops, and a little burnt caramel finish. Almost some grape. Butterscotch sweetness, lingering burnt. Can't believe how boozy it is, honestly.

Mouthfeel- Rich and creamy. Way too thick for a DIPA, but very pleasant for whatever exactly this is.

Drinkability- The sweetness, oak, and booze makes more than one something I'd rather pass on.

This is an interesting beer. I think as a DIPA I'd really dislike it, but as something else, it's kind of good. I'd like to age some to see if it mellows out.

12oz bottle in Duvel tulip
bottled: 6/8/12

kind of surprised I had never reviewed this before.

A: Crystal clear copper color with a one finger white head, a surprising amount of lace. As the head drops, it never quite disappears, it just fades into a film on the surface.
S: Smells like an old ale, lots of caramel, a little bit of butter. As it warms, the hops start to develop, mostly citrus, but a little pine as well.
T: A nice mix of oak and hops, although there is some hop flavor (pine resin and some dankness makes me think Columbus), it mostly seems to be bittering hops. As it warms, the oak becomes more apparent along with a slight caramel sweetness.
M: The oak is very apparent on the tongue, there is a little bit of dryness/astringency, but it is not unpleasant. Very "creamy" mouthfeel, but not thick, "rich" is probably a better description.
O: I don't buy this often because of the price (~$15/4 pack), but every time I think I should buy this more often. This is a great change of pace for a sipping beer if you are getting tired of only having a RIS.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Hmm...Burton Baton. I'm intrigued by the label that tells me this beer is a mix of young and old IPAs aged in French oak; intrigued because I like hops and like the effect that age can have on hops. That said, this wasn't quite what I expected, but I still like it. I liked the earthy, woody aroma of this ale. I liked how the earthiness and vanilla-oakiness emerged among the caremelly malt and herbal hop flavors. I am surprised by the clarity of this brew. I'm not surprised that as I poured this light amber elixir there was little foam, yet a tingle of carbonation that seems to accent what bitterness hides beneath the sweet malt and oaky flavors. Double IPA? I don't think so (not enough hop spiciness) -- more a well attenuated barleywine to me -- that I think really needs to age some more, so I'm tucking the remaining bottles away in a place where I'll forget about them.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

A- orange-amber, thin, off-white head that dissipates for the most part, good lacing.

S- Sharp citrus rind, woody, dried fruits, caramel malt, some oak-y vanilla in the background.

T- Citrus flavor that intensifies before giving way to booze-soaked dried fruit, apricot, light-vanilla/floral sweetness, some tropical notes, and an oak-y finish. Caramel malt backing throughout rounds out sharper flavors without compromising complexity.

M- Medium-to-thick bodied, very fine carbo lighten body without being so prevalent as to mute flavor.

D- A little boozey to be considered truly drinkable, but not bad for a beer packing 10% ABV.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint. Bottled on 10/16/09, so its a year old...lets see how this has aged.

A- pours a very cloudy shade of amber with a one finger slightly offwhite head. Head sticks around for awhile and laces nicely

S- grapefruity citric hops...not getting any of the oak characteristics coming through, but I wouldn't really expect that too much on the initial nose. Smells good...but not really what I expected

T- the oak comes through here, at least. Its a nice combination of flavors...I'm getting a little bit of bitterness from the grapefruity hops, and then sweetness from the oak, with the vanilla and such. The finish is bitter and piney...interesting. The hops seem a little muted, as you'd expect from something with age like this on it.

M- a lot more of the malt is coming through, but its not a total mess like you might expect...though its getting close

D- I'd like to try this a little fresher...the hops are a little too muted, and the oak is coming through a little much. Maybe something with 6 months age or so on it...

6 month old bottle, poured into a snifter

Appearance - Pours a nice golden orange, about a fingers worth of head, despite the high alcohol and aging with loose off-white bubbles, beautiful lacing as it drinks.

Smell - Even after 6 months in the bottle this one still has a nice juicy aroma to it, wrapped all in some sweet figs and plums wrapped in brown sugar.

Taste - Very tasty, you definitely can tell this is a blend. Not quite an american barley wine, not quite an old ale, not quite a DIPA, its a game changer. This one lies in the middle with hints of caramel, toffee, grapefruit, sweet brown sugar and malts with a nice hint of dark fruits. Really subtle complexities make this beer great.

Mouthfeel - Velvety and rich, coats the mouth.

Overall - A Very good beer, as i said before this is a game changer, it really is unlike anything I've had before in the vast amounts of styles I've tried, i really enjoy this beer fresh or old and can't wait to see what this one does in a few years.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

I'm a fan of the 60 min IPA, the 90 min IPA, the ApriHop and a few others so I was glad when a friend brought this to a tasting. This is an oak-aged Imperial IPA that doesn't have an overpowering hop aroma. It pours a cloudy amber. A sweet alcohol taste up front gives way to one that is more floral and citrusy. I'm wondering where the oak flavor is? A smooth mouthfeel and quite drinkable. Overall, it's good, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the hop kick.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a dark amber with a finger of head that leaves quickly but leaves a lot of lacing. Has oak, toffee and bitter hops on the nose. In the mouth sweet malt and toffee with some dusty chocolate and a hoppy bitterness. Finishes with a nice tannic bite from thr wood and hops. Very drinkable and 10% and normally not a fan of ba beers but thoroughly enjoy this one and have drank it many times.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

From what I've read at DFH's website this is actually a blend of oak aged English Strong Ale and 90 minute IPA.

This one poured into the glass a clear rich amber color. Head was a dense biege froth, lace was thick and sticky.

A complex mix of scents greet the nose. Sweet malts, molasses, buttery, grapefruit, piney, florid hops and a mellow oak woodiness. Alcohol is well hidden.

Taste is sweet, alcohol is more overt than the smell would indicate. Hops are much less pronounced than expected, but still leave a nice hoppy dry signature.

Medium bodied, lightly carbonated. A thicker mouthfeel.

I have to say this is a damned fine brew from our friends in Delaware. I wish it was more readily available. A wee bit heavy, but would be very nice to warm my bones beside the fire.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

A - A darker shade of amber with some orange highlights...nice clarity...a one finger white head that stayed for a while...decent lacing

S - Bitter citrus hops cut through the aroma and mix with earthy English hops...there is a touch of sweetness coming out as well

T - The flavors start off with a big hop presence...they bittersweet with grapefruit leading the way...the middle of the beer lends itself to a more balanced profile...the hops become more earthy and less bitter...caramel malts and oak also show up to balance things out...the bitterness comes back to finish the beer

M - Medium bodied...nothing special from the nitro...oily and bitter...alcohol comes through

D - I'm glad I got the chance to try this beer and espcially on tap...although the nitro did nothing special...a very hoppy, English-style, oak aged, doulbe IPA...leave it to Dogfish Head

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery