Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Burton BatonBurton Baton

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,845 | Ratings: 6,461
4.85/5  rDev +16%

A- Poured into a Tulip glass, the two finger creamy foam head lingers leaving sticky goodness all around. Beautiful copper color...

S- Bright fresh piney hops and grapefruit with underlying subtle smokey wood notes... very mellow... puts me at ease like a nice burning candle.

T- Like grapefruit mixed with vanilla or something... unusual but outstanding! Very creamy finish on the tongue after an assult of citrus and hops with the first sip. Coats your tongue like honeysuckles... Just a touch of alcohol bite from this 10%'er... I am yet again impressed by Dogfish Head!

M- I havent had another sip in about 5 mins... and the caramel/oak flavors are still lingering, as well as the sharpness of the hops. I think I'm in love! :-)

D- If this weren't $14 a 4-pack, I could drink this everyday! Makes me wish this NY winter was over already so that I could be sitting out in the sun grilling!

4.85/5  rDev +16%

I don't know if I could write a bad review of this beer if my life depended on it. I've been meaning to try this forever but am only now doing so. Pour is heartstoppingly beautiful scarlett orange. Tiny nappy head and little lacing. Nose is cognac, fruit, and warm caramel. This reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine ... on steroids. Mouth is thick and viscous. I LOVE this beer, which is easily the best DFH beer I've ever had. Do NOT drink this if you lust for a double IPA, do so if you'd like a Barleywine. It will hit the spot and make all but the greatest it's BITCH.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

btld 12/29/05, lets call it the 06 version.

looks cool.. crystal clear reddish amber distorting other-side images with curvaceous density. slightest ring imaginable surrounding the surface.

aroma eminating from this beer is supremely divine. those 90 minute hops are here, fresher. the vanilla and oak are in the atmosphere. slightly floral. fresh-picked tobacco leaf and something slightly leathery contribute to the nose. it also has this strangely appealing roasty smell that i attribute to the interior of a busy starbucks. overall, the scent of this beer screams luxury. this is what dogfish strives for, and aromawise with 2006 burton baton they have freaking nailed it.

tastes great too.. sweet malts mingle with piney hops, accented nicely and NOT overwhelmingly by the wood character. slight smokiness left in the finish allows full enjoyment of the complex flavor even with smaller sips. bitterness is big but not chalky or damning to the flavor profile. the hops are in top shape here and surprisingly restrained.

overall, this is one of DFH's master creations.. a heartfelt lesson in both balanced restraint and luxurious excess. i hope this beer stays on the roster for a long time. i'll be buying 4-packs every year until i'm six feet underground- me and the guy on the label.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one to savor!

appearance: golden, amber, reddish

smell: loaded and more loaded hops and citrus aroma

taste: this beer is loaded with hops. very solid double with heavy grapefruit flavor and I loved the oak flavor from the aging. it was a very noticable difference

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: very easy and smooth. very pricey though.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

While I'm a big fan of Dogfish Head's much-lauded 60- and 90-Minute IPAs, this is my first crack at their oak-aged hybrid, 'Burton Baton'.

A: Carefully poured into a weizen glass, Burton Baton yielded a good finger and 1/2 of head which died gradually over 5 or so minutes, leaving some impressive lacing on the glass. Color is a rich, deep amber/caramel that screams "Taste me already, damn it!"

S: Scent is HOPPY HOPPY HOPPY with a healthy side of pine needles. Just the way I like my IIPAs!

T: The hops are the theme of the day; with each sip comes a hop-rush that shoots directly to my brain! With continued sips (and as the beer warms), the hops are partnered with overtones of malt, woodiness/oakiness and a slight floral bouquet. Sublime!

M: Mild carbonation, smooth and dry flow across the tongue, just as any good IIPA should be. Despite the 10% ABV and IBU rating of 70, you don't get that tongue-twisting, face-contorting effect, even with generously-sized imbibations.

O: If I was stuck on a desert isle with my choice of one beer for the rest of my life, this would definitely be a serious contender. Magnifique.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz bottle poured into my DFH pint glass.

Appearance-pours clear brown orange, color matches the color on the label. Full inch of tan head, great retention. Steady stream of visible carbonation.

Smell-fruity, hoppy, spicy. Smell doesn't do this one justice.

Taste-This is what it means to fall in love all over again! orange peel, perfect balance of malts and hops, something organic in there, very clover-ish. Alcohol taste is present.

Mouth-feel; slight tart/sour/bitter, yet smooth and creamy. Feels as complex as it tastes.

Overall- I could drink this one all day, if this were readily available and slightly less expensive, I could have a relationship with this beer.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I've been drinking this for a few years and, for whatever reasons, I've never reviewed it.

I feel this is one of the best IPAs/Double IPAs out there; it looks great, has a solid head, smells wonderful, has a smooth consistent oaked flavor with no odd quirks as you're raising the glass/bottle for the next gulp. I tried this after a had a few Dogfish 90s and couldn't believe it was that much better than the 90.

I also like the fact I can get all Dogfish beers for slightly under retail at the brewery and, since it's in tax-free Delaware, not pay any taxes on the case or two I get when I'm nearby. Very nice!

A great beer; my favorite right now although I'm still looking around. It's also one of the few beers that my 86-year old father loves; he tasted one I was having and wouldn't give the thing back!

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

This is one of the best beers I've had in the past year. An absolute beauty. It smells of wood and hops simultaneously. Beautiful amber color, and a smooth but hoppy taste. Mellow and exilirating at the same time, there is no way this is 10% abv! But it is. Oh, it is. My favorite Dogfish beer by far. A masterpiece.

Photo of
4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

i first bought this as a single on a whim. what a treat this is. the first beer i have ever had that i was sad when the glass was empty, i did not want it to end. so i went back to the beer store and bought all they had left. ehehehehe over a case and a half. i am aging a few and working on a few on special occasions. this is the nectar from the gods.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

A- a crisp amber with an off-white head that falls fate to some light lacing.

S- A slight woody malt with some musky hops, there is also a bit of a candy like aroma.

T- smoooth for 10% it has a good malt bill to expose the slight wood characteristics, along with an earth sweet hop taste, and finishes with a lingering hop bit which is slightly tart, probably from the barrel aging.

M- superb, perfect ipa feel

D- I a huge IPA lover and I could easily put down the 4 pack it comes in, but I wouldn't suggest over indulgence

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

The beer poured a bright copper/orange color with a medium white head that leaves a ring of lace down the side of the glass. The aroma is the grassy/piney note that you expect from the DFH offerings mellowed by the oak that lends a hint of vanilla. The vanilla combines nicely with the toffee character of the malt. Taste does not have the “malt-up-front” I’m used to and expect in the DFH IPA. Much more subtle. The vanilla/toffee character comes across stronger than I expected too. Very rich and smooth mouth feel. Very little hop bite. Mellow alcohol warming. Very drinkable beer. Dogfish does it again.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Bright, light/medium copper. Rocky, lacy head.

S- Alluring, bright, fresh grapefruit, citrus, fir, vanillin oak. Very tempting.

T- Absolutely delicious, creamy, sweet, rich malt on the attack. Fresh sweet ruby red grapefruit on the mid-palate. Vanillin oak for the finish. All in perfect balance.

M, D- Creamy. Fresh. The tantalizing aroma, the seductive flavor, the creamy velvet mouthfeel, flawless CO2. Every element in perfect order, proportion and harmony.

BRAVO! The Burton Baton swings and hits a grand-slam home run.

Bottle from friend who is member of MJ Rare Beer Club

A -beautiful shiny copper body with very clear appearance. Head was insane! Fluffy white cloud just stuck to everything.

S- As soon as the cork popped, the sourness of the oak blended with the huge hop bouquet was unforgettable. A cotton candy smell was followed perfectly by the splendid funkiness that was evident from the oak aging.

T- A one-of-a-kind taste that was a terrific blend of bitterness, oakiness, and malt. The alcohol was nicely hidden, but warmed the body.

M- Incredibly smooth, with the sourness just perfect. High abv was hardly noticed.

D- Although not your typical everyday beer, it was a phenomenal experience and one of the most unique brews I have had the pleasure of trying. Any DIPA fan should seek this out!

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

I would say the nose is the most impressive aspect here. It has a woody sweetness from the oak aging that is like nothing I've had the pleasure of sniffing. The other characteristics are not to be taken for granted either. Clear red color. Deep, sweet pine and citrus with an overlay of brown sugar. Sugary thick mouthfeel. I would like to thank the Academy for this opportunity...

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. Bottle date 12/11/12.

I've been meaning to try this for a while now, and after seeing it in a new liquor store tonight at $14.99 for a 4 pack I said why the hell not.

A: Pours an unremarkable amber color with almost no head to speak of, but does leave nice lacing on the glass.

S: Almost no hops in the aroma actually. I pick up mostly a smell of fruit, most notably raisins. Also a slight vanilla hint reminiscent of bourbon.

T: Wow, I am really impressed, there is a big complexity here. Finally I get the hops, nice and citrusy, along with the sweetness from the malt. There's a really nice balance between the bitter/sweet here which I am really loving. It also has a different quality because of the barrel aging that gives it a nice warming effect. If I didn't know this beer was 10% ABV I would never guess, there is no alcohol burn whatsoever.

O: Dogfish Head is by far my favorite brewery in existence. I really wish I had gotten this beer sooner, it's not my favorite brew they make, but it is definitely enjoyable, and I plan on aging a few bottles in the cellar.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Glad my buddy picked up a four-pack of this stuff for me to try, this stuff is great.

Appearance: Poured a deep hazy amber with a thin white head that disappeared leaving delicate lacing along the edges of my tulip.

Smell: Hints of bourbon, piney and earthy hops and citrus aromas compete for the spotlight in the nose. A little bit of oak comes into play, and this is just a lovely aroma.

Taste: Delicious. Sweetness from the malt and also citrus and great bitterness from the hops. Slight alcohol burn as this warms but the 10% is masked quite well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with solid carbonation and creaminess. A bit sweet but not overly so, the alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. Goes down pretty smoothly.

Overall: I loved this IPA from Dogfish, as it is yet another strong effort from them. I can't wait to get my hands on another 4-pack of this stuff, definitely try it if you can!

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into my new Dogfish snifter, bottled on 6/19/09.

A: Pours a copper/burnt orange with a finger thick off white head, excellent lacing.

S: Scents of piny hops and caramel up front with some slight hints of oaky vanilla.

T: The 90 min. blend dominates the taste of the beer, definite caramel taste with a vanilla hint. You can take the alcohol up front but the finish is crisp and clean.

M: Medium body with slight carbonation.

D: Very smooth for a 10% ABV, personally this is one of my favorite beers, but could get dangerous with more than a few. Excellent DIPA.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark orange almost Amber with a head that fizzles quickly.
Smell is vanilla fruit,peach and some others I can't quite put my finger on, and sweet malt.
Taste follows the smell very sweet with malty sweetness vanilla and fruitiness coming through. Slight hoppy bitterness but it doesn't overwhelm. Great beer.
The mouth feel is full, I would want to get a little more booziness on the finish but it was still very enjoyable.
Great beer, will definitely pick it up again.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

I think I first had this beer at a tasting at the DFH brewery, and loved it so much that my boyfriend and I bought two 4-packs on the spot. I've had it many times since then and loved it every time--I'm drinking one right now and I'll jot down some impressions, since I'm surprised I haven't reviewed it yet. I guess I'm always a bit wasted after two bottles...

Appearance: Dark, murky copper with a big head and big lacing. Gorgeous.

Smell: Another beer I'd wear as a perfume. Citrus hops mixed with light oak and caramel.

Taste: Exactly what it smells like, but so much better because it's on your tongue now. Citrus hops, some spicy pine, oak, brown sugar, nutty/toasty malt. Incredibly complex.

Mouthfeel: Thick but smooth and velvety. Is this really 10%? It lingers nicely in the mouth, too.

Drinkability: I think it's more drinkable than the 90 minute. High praise, but completely deserved. I wish I had a tap in my house.

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%

Had on tap at Hop Devil Grill in NYC a few weeks back. Pours hazy amber/orange/red with a creamy/foamy 2 finger beige head that faded very slowly; brew left very good lacing. Smells of floral hops, sweet malt, citrus, fruits, caramel and alcohol. Smells very hoppy up front, very impressive, potent and enjoyable.

Tastes as good as it smells with floral and piney hops, sweet malt that brings out the alcohol burn, then caramel, orange peel, cinnamon, rum, vanilla, bread, light spices and light smoked wood chips. The hops start the brew off, but the malt and oak barrel flavor trail off and take over for a nice dry finish. The flavor is a really nice mix and blends two styles quite well. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, with little to no carbonation. An overall feel like an IPA and barleywine mixed together, but it's very balanced with subtle waves of multiple tastes, and it goes down easy, especially considering the 10% ABV.

A great beer that is a very delicious hybrid. Another great beer from Dogfish Head, which I was looking forward to trying; I love the 90 Minute IPA and this met my expectations as a great beer. Another great beer experience crafted by Dogfish Head...go try this beer and enjoy it as well!

11/27/13-a very well aged bottle (3+ years at least) that looked great after the pour; 2 finger creamy beige head that faded very slowly and left incredible lacing coating the sides. The nose is very sweet, like a blend of dark fruit, syrup, rum/wine, vanilla, oaky, brown sugar, citrus hops a light booze; the sweetness jumps out, but is very complex and somehow soft and alluring. There are some many fruity notes that I won’t even attempt to describe the intricate aroma’s associated with this brew – get one, age it and experience it for yourself. Flavor is sweet and boozy, again with a massive dark fruit presence that includes cherry, red grapefruit, pear and rotting apple, syrup/molasses, rum/red wine like merlot, vanilla, oaky or smoky notes, brown sugar, citrus hops, floral hops, cinnamon and light booze like bourbon; the oak aging seems to have overtaken the hops from the DIPA blend, but the flavor is very smooth and complex, port-like in the way it forces you to sip and savor. This is mellow and hides the ABV wonderfully, with so much flavor that it’s almost like a wine at this point with mead like qualities in a good way. It’s very hard to accurately describe the flavor, but quite easy to state (again) that this is a very delicious hybrid and definitely worth seeking out

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy dark red-amber with some floaties. Nice finger and a half of light tan creamy head, which leaves a bit of lacing despite the abv.

Smell is earthy oak, sweet dates and toffee, and a big hint of the 10% abv

Taste is big wonderful malt and oak, significant alcohol burn, vanilla, maple, and hints of citrus in the aftertaste. Balanced sweeter than 72 IBU's would let on.

Firm body is slightly lightened by significant CO2 and alcohol.

I haven't tried a lot of DFH's BA efforts, not through lack of interest but mostly lack of availability (and my own ignorance). This one is so big, boozy, sweet and woody it strikes more like a light barleywine than a double IPA. I'd love to taste one of these with a few years of proper cellaring, but it certainly is wonderful right now.

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz with pry-off cap bottled on 07/01/2015. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep amber with a puffy 2 finger head.

Smell: Bright citrus hops and fresh baked bread with warm toffee

Taste: Juicy hops with oak, vanilla, and caramel, bread malt. Hops up front and a 180 into malt and oak in the finish. Like two beers in one.

Mouthfeel: Full body and satisfying

Overall: A fine example of an IPA being aged. The oak will cover any lost hop aroma. The hop punch of a 90 minute up front quickly develops into the vanilla of american oak into an incredible finish just begging for another sip.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy, deep orange/amber with a whopping three-finger frothy head from a normal pour. The head stuck around for about 10 minutes before finally deflating to it's current state—a 1/4" creamy head that's holding up strong. Absurd amounts of sticky lacing down the glass. This is right up there with one of the prettiest brews I've seen.

S: Deeply floral hops with a touch of citrus, but closer to orange than grapefruit. A bit of wood-like Earthiness. Slight touches of grass and warm booze are faint, but linger beneath. Floral, rustic, gorgeous.

T: Everything meshes flawlessly into a truly unique flavor... It's taken me almost half a glass to pinpoint exactly what I'm tasting. Caramel-like sweetness from the malts, followed up by a plethora of citrus. Fresh-squeezed orange, light touches of lemon, a respectable hint of grapefruit. Towards the end, you get a BIG wave of floral hops, close to that of a flowery herbal tea. In the finish, especially as the beer warms up to room temperature, the oaken flavors really begin to shine through and add something almost unexplainable... This is a masterpiece and DFH have truly outdone themselves.

M: Definitely a full-body here. Substantially creamy with a mellow carbonation that lets this one glide along the palate and embrace your entire mouth in utter bliss. 10% ABV offers a bit of warmth to the back of the throat, as well as the face.

O: I'm running out of words to use here... Burton Baton has earned my first perfect 5 in the flavor category and is damn near a 5 in the overall category. I'm not sure what's holding it back, and maybe a 2nd exposure will earn it that coveted 5 in the overall category... Until then, just know that this is absolutely my favorite brew to date and I tip my hat to everyone down at DFH for brewing such an absolute delight of a beverage.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

outstanding beer. very tasty indeed.
pours a coppery orange color with a nice 2 inch head thats frothy and slightly creamy. The smell is oaky with piney/citrusy hops and sugary malts rounding it off
taste is sweet up front with hints of pear and apple and suagry goodness and it finishes a little bitter and dry from the cirtusy hops and leaves a oaky hint lingering.
medium to full body, creamy with good carbonation. very drinkable but watch out

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a dark cherrywood into an oversized wineglass. Tastes a good pine and grapefruit mix of hops. Has a hint of carmel but is not a malty mess like i experience with typical double ipas. Finish is smooth and has a slight aftertaste i cannot identify. Very drinkable considering the high abv. It sneaks up on you but by the time i finish the glass i can feel it on my face. I very glad i tried this even at the price of $7 for a 10 oz glass. Best double ipa I have had.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery