Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 6,518
4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Amber orange color with a thick offwhite head.. moderate lacing left begind

S: nice piney hop aroma... oak smokyness and sweet malts all balance well here.

T: Nice pine like hop start followed by a nice oak tones and sweet caramel like malts... crisp hop finish.

M: Moderate body with a nice tingle on the tongue... slightly oily.. Crisp finish.

D: Had with lunch and really wanted another... its subtle and well balanced.. a good showing from Dogfish Head

12 oz bottle. Pours orange amber with two phase head, foam on top of bubbles, 2 cm head thats off-white. Aroma of yeast and hops, slight hint of citrus. Initial flavor is citrus and pine, switching to a more dry finish by the end with a hint of alcohol that sits on the tongue for an extended period. Moderate lacing, long aftertaste, medium body, and lots of alcohol noted. Drinks like a mellowed out IPA with a big bite. Standard greatness from Dogfish.

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

Orange-dark amber color with a slight haze to the liquid. Initial three-finger head retreats very slowly and leaves excellent ring lace on the glass.

Strong pineapple and grapefruit hop nose. Very fresh smell. Some raisin and current in the background. Superior.

Somewhat prickly on the initial sip--both in the carbonation and the citrus-like hop. Good body to counteract the effervescence. The malt does stand up but only in the background. The aftertaste is like sucking a hop pellet. Strong oily alcohol feel that is notable after the swallow as well.

I would put this in the category of extreme beers. It is delicious particularly for hop heads, but it would be extremely difficult to have more than one.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Love an opportunity to drink a Dogfish beer I haven't yet tried.

Poured into a thistle glass - becoming my new favorite glass for any IPA style.

Reddish-orange clear pour with a light head. Smells a little like Redpop with a little vanilla cream thrown in. May have been my nose, but I didn't detect a strong fragrance.

Tastes a bit like it smells. Bitterness from start to finish - lingers for longer than I prefer. Bitterness on the dry side, not getting much hop note with the bitterness.

Like all of their beers I have tried, this beer feels good to drink. I could sip through a couple no problem. No need to do more than that.

I little disappointed, not sure if I will get again.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for the taste. Pours a glowing orange color with a nice fine white head. Lot's of carbonation. I've never had an oak-aged IPA. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Smells very hoppy (Cascade hops maybe?). The hops taste like citrus, especially pineapple. The oak aging is definitely apparent, and imparts a vanilla sweetness on the brew. What a great offering. From start to finish it is unique and delicious. You can always count on DFH to come up with something innovative.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish Head Burton Baton pours a deep copper with a a nice head that lingers as a dense creamy layer that leaves a beautiful lacing on the glass. The aroma is fresh citrusy hop cones with a nice carmel maltiness and a touch of oak. You've gotta hand it to DFH, they do an amazing job getting the beer to taste and smell like you just stuck your nose into a handful of hops. The flavor starts off with dark caramel malt, followed quickly by by hop bitterness and flavor. The hops are nice and citrusy, plenty of grapefruity flavor. I'm pretty sure I taste Chinook and some other American "C" hops. There is a hint of oak in the finish but it's light and not overpowering. I think this is the first time I've had this beer outside the EBF's, where it was hard to appreciate after all the other DIPA's, RIS, and barley wines.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

12 oz, Single bottle copped from Gary's in Madison for $3.99...
"An Oak-Aged Imperial India Pale Ale" written on the front logo sticker...
A very aggressive pour resulted in a five-fingered, full, foamy, and frothy head which nearly obliterated the glass... A huge appearance, ruby-red hue, slight dark-amber and mahogany brown...
Subtle, yet refined IPA aroma, filled with fresh hops, caramel, vanilla, pines, and grapefruit...
Taste strongly complemented the smell, with an obvious suggestion of freshly picked hops, pines ,grapefruit, citrus, lemon, lime, and phenols...
Mouthfeel was very rich and creamy, but the overall level of drinkability took a hit due to the hefty ABV and rich conglomeration of pine flavors which really stuck to the tongue and didn't let go, slightly cloying and overbearing...
Certainly not a horrible brew, but not the best depiction put forth from Dogfish Head...

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured beautiful dark orange almost red with a thick ½ head. Smell of heavy, heavy hops - crisp to the nose, very fresh. Thick, sticky lacing wraps the glass. First taste - a mouthful of hops, very, very smooth, great mouth feel - lovingly bitter. Did I say, "Smooth and Hoppy"? What a nice hoppy/oak mix!

Very Nice. Very Nice!

I gave this 4,0 all the way around. It poured a lovely orange bronze colour with a nice 2-finger thick soapy head. Heavy, sticky lacing clung to the sides of my glass. Nice. Smell is sweet, candy hops. Almost smells like Dreadnaught with its fruity, mango-like aroma. I really enjoyed the smell of this one. Mouthfeel was right about where it needed to be in this one. Not too heavy, but certainly "meaty". I don't know if syrupy is the word I would use, but it certainly is thicker than I expected.
Where I can indeed tell that this is over 6%, I feel it drinks below 10, so the alcohol is well hidden. If I didn't know any better, I would guess this to be low 8's; 8,3, perhaps? This is really good beer and I'm glad to have had the chance to try it.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Really quite nice. A nice deep mahogany brown. Looks very clean, clear, and crisp. Not much carbonation at all. Thick, fluffy head that lingers awhile, superb lacing, and head retention dripping down the walls of the glass throughout drinking.

S: Toasty biscuit, hops, some floral accents, and wood that I assume is oak.

T: Especially creamy, really coating your entire mouth throughout. Toasted bread flavor really comes through, some nice rich wooden aged flavor, bitterness of the hops present but not at the forefront, and vanilla and citrus notes as the beer warms.

M/D: This is really heavy and creamy. Couldn't have more than 2 of these. The rich mouthfeel will keep me buying this as long as I can.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours a dark amber with a finger of foam that dissipates slowly, leaving thick lace on the glass.

S: Light floral and pine hops, a bit of malty sweetness. It's not overly strong in the nose, but it's appealing.

T: The hops are at the forefront, but at the same time they're also somewhat muted. It's piney, with a hint of floralness, but they aren't in your face. They're incredibly balanced by a nice malt backbone that hints at caramel, toffee, and even a bit of vanilla. The alcohol comes through a tiny bit, with a hint of warmth. This is extremely well-balanced.

M: Smooth, almost creamy. But viscous and pleasant. A nice sweet finish.

D: This is a surprisingly drinkable DIPA. Most of DFH's stronger offerings I find to be too sweet, but this time, this is incredibly well-balanced and tasty. Very enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

12-oz bottle poured 6-oz at a time into a Reidel "O" shiraz glass.

A = Deep, clear caramel amber color, small white to off white head that dissipates leaving good lacing on surface of the beer and light to medium on side of glass. Lots of small carbonation bubbles.

S = Fresh cream, fresh bread dough, light floral hops notes, well balanced.

T = Tastes of scones with clotted cream hit the front of the tongue and continue into the mid-palate, also traces of clover honey. On top of the many sweet flavors there is also a good amount of bitterness, some of it oaky tannins and some of it a floral hoppiness, all continue thourghou the taste into a nice long bitter finish, but even then there is a lingering sweetness in the middle and front of the tongue. Again, as with the smell, there is very good balance in this beer.

M = Medium to heavy bodied, good mouthcoating, carboantion stings just a little more than I would have liked given the high ABV. The combination makes a slight unpleasant burning on the middle of the tongue.

D = This is a very drinkable beer. In a blind tasting I would not have picked it out as a DIPA though, more of a hopped American Strong Ale, but whatever DFH wants to call this, it is enjoyable.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

Wow! This is one hell of a beer! Like nothing I have ever tasted.. very creamy and complex.

The appearance was average, reddish brown with a nice thick 1" head. The smell was good.. earthy malt and syrup, and a touch of oak.

The taste was absolutely delicious.. creamy and wooden, a nice hop flavor and oak tones. There is a touch of vanilla too, and a bunch of other flavors that I can't quite pin-point.

I really enjoyed this beer, and although it was $18.99 for a 4-pack, I would definitely get it again. Excellent!

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bottle into Dogfish Head pint glass. This beer looked a little darker than the average IPA from the mix with the strong ale. Smell is of oak, hops, and a little vanilla. Easy to drinkand has a nice mouthfeel. I think this could be a little better chilled than the 60 degrees or so I drank it at. Overall a nice mix of flavors and I am interested to see how this one ages.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance - pours a murky reddish orange. A thin creamy cover, already some lacing on the sides, but thinning in the center rapidly.

Aroma - pretty much emulates a barleywine with the heavy malt, fruity wet citrus, abv and all.

Taste - rather sweet. Malts have this one after 13 months of aging. The hops have some citrus flavor but it's all candified and no bite. Some oak mixed in to smooth things out even more. The woodiness muddles any chance for the hops to really take stage. The swallow shows an intense orangy flavor, but it passes quickly. The finish is warming, sweet.

Mouthfeel - quite bubbly, decent weighty body to it. Feels lile a big beer, as it should.

Drinkability - not especially hoppy or oaky, but after a year the hops are more a preservative than a flavoring ingredient. The sweetness makes this a dessert style sipper, another winter winner, but not one that was all that distinctive to me.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%

poured deep copper, clear with not a lot of head. and what did foam up went away somewhat quickly. almost no lacing.

big woody nose witha whole orchard of fruit coming through. apple, pear, banana, and passion fruit. a hint of vanilla hangs in the background with a bit of hops and raiseny malt. there is a perceivable alcohol note.

Big and Bourbon-y. literally, the alcohol presence helps that notion. I usually deduct for alcohol perception but it gives this a fine sippn' beer it's personality. lots of resiny hops that remind me of spruce and cedar; spicey. hops pull through to a textural hang and let the malts wrestle the tongue for the remainder of the sip. The malts are a bit sugary and cloying but release into a roasty, burnt barley sugar finish that work well with the hops.

Nice warmth that I felt gave it that bourbon character again, and a great chewy fiish that left your mouth a bit sour. keeps you thinking about that next sip.

I like this one, not an everyday drinker, but something for special occasions.

I think that this would be a great beer to give anyone who poopoos beer for brown liquors.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

clear coppery amberish with a tan head that holds fairly well and leave a little lace. first thing that comes to mind when i sniff is oak and smoke, but some fruit (banana, and passsion mostly) and flowers come through as well as a hint of brown sugar. taste - oaked for sure, and unlike the nose, i get a smokey hop taste riding on an oaky malt backbone. good, creamy, medium full body with a nice warming finish. it seems to me that it would be hard to drink too many of these, but it's fun to try and another great effort from dfh. a lot of time must have gone in to making this beer, but i won't be spending a lot of time drinking it. give me a 90 minute any day.

3.22/5  rDev -23%

12 oz., bottled on __/16/07 (the first number of the ink-jet printing was rubbed out), brewed with Northwest hops. By the end of the bottle I found myself reviewing this beer based on overall impression rather than to style - had I reviewed to style it certainly would have garnered lower points. Anyway, the beer pours into the balloon glass a clear, dark copper, with low carbonation and an inch of khaki head that leaves a few rings of lace. Smells of malted grain first, followed by grapefruity hops, which are in turn followed by vanilla and sweet, oaky bourbon notes. Starts quite nice, but becomes sweet and lightly boozy, and my aroma score is an average of those sentiments. On the palate, it is malty sweet - quite cloying actually. It's very fruity, backed by vanilla and oak, with additions of dark fruits and some buttery diacetyl. The hops are beaten down by the massive malts, and relegated to mere supporting roles, giving hints of citrus and pine, while imparting only a mild bitterness. The body is full and too heavy, with low carbonation, drying tannins, and a long, sweet/dry finish. It has a good aroma and some decent flavors, but is way off-balance. The beer is way too sweet, which lowers the drinkability immensely, and the hops are definitely there, but have a hard time making themselves known, which is odd for a double (albeit offbeat) IPA. I was very excited to finally find this, but was ultimately let down. I'll let the other bottle mellow for a couple years and see if it improves.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Initial impression: I really like the sweetness of the 90 minute, so I was excited to try this beer. But I feel the oak aging mellows out the hops to the point where this beer is candy sweet. There is still a nice punch of hops up front, and a nice oaky/vanilla blast helps dry out the finish, but my overall impression of this beer is candied pears. I don't know why I get that from it, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Ten minutes later: At the end of the day, I'm more a quaffer of beer than I am a sipper. That is just how I roll. But that doesn't mean I don't recongize a sipper when I've got one in front of me, and this is a sipper. As I drink it more and it approaches room temperature, the oak starts to blossom more. The vanilla is married to a faint hint of chocolate that isn't unpleasant, and there is a nice tannic dryness that competes with the overall sweetness of the beer. A flaw if you want to be a BJCP-nazi, but it actually helps balance this beer out. But the smell has become very phenolic and medicinal. It reminds me of the cough syrup I used to get as a kid. Overall, I'd say the sweetness mellows out as it approaches room temperature.

Twenty minutes later (30 minutes total): Wow. Lemon-zest. Lemon-lest, with a pinch of orange and grapefruit has really taken over this beer. Just an absurd amount of citrus. Wow. This beer is just getting interested and I am only halfway through it. The sweetness doesn't seem too bad, and, in the immortal words of Roberta Williams, the bartender reminds me of an old friend. Well, OK, I'm at home typing a grant application, but let's not get into semantics. It has finally reached a fairly quaffable/drinkable stage. Maybe, like some wines, it just needed some time to "open up" and probably to "warm up". It is drinking the best it has when it is fairly flat and at room temperature. Unusual for a beer, but that's the way they roll sometimes.

A nice experience overall. I'm glad I got a single bottle as opposed to a four-pack, but no regrets over that single bottle.

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a deep dark amber color with 1 finger head that retains for most of the beer. Smell is earthy wood then hops and sweet malts at the end. The taste is extremely complex with wood and hints of vanilla then the hops then the wood again. The mouthfeel is crisp and creamy much like an IPA. At 10% they pack a much meaner punch then the close 90 minute IPA. You can tell a difference in the effect but the effect is great. Again and again Dogfish Head does it again. Can't wait for that Chocolate beer soon.

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into traditional pint glass

A - Pours a lovely suspension of burnt orange and sunset yellow with a somewhat small off white head. Somehwat cloudy with minimal lacing, except when tipped.

S - Smells sweet, with an oaked, almost soapy characteristic. Alcohol is noticeable, but it blends nicely with the oak as would be expected. Hops present a bubblegum and grapefruit nose. It all somehow blends together to give a unified yet complex nose that is somewhat different from most in the style.

T - Starts off very tart and sugary sweet with some strong molasses flavor. Tastes oaked through and through, and the alcohol is certainly apparent. Hops get hidden behind this interesting veil, which is disappointing to me. Lemony citrus with some bubblegum flavor. I find the up front sweet, malty oak flavor to be cloying and bit too much.

M - Tart with a sharp alcoholic bite. Moderate carbonation. Drying in the finish, but it leaves behind a sticky and mouth-coating feel.

D - Not my favorite, but a very interesting take on the Double IPA and another genre-bender from Dogfish Head. The oak aging adds a great deal of flavor and complexity, but it also takes away the starring role of the hops. I have been aging this one for a bit, so I'd be interested to try this one fresher when the hops might be more expressive. Worth trying out, especially if you enjoy oak-aged beers.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Special thanks to ilovedarkbeer (from ratebeer) for this taste treat. Aroma is sweet (as is the taste) encompassing lemon, apple, ruby port and a bit of soy sauce. Pour yields a smallish off-white head that disappears after a bit. Good lacing. Color is like a nice Bourbon. Taste is extremely sweet with absolutely no bitterness (IPA?). Alcohol comes across on the finish (which I like). Great stuff.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

So, I walked into Tyler's Taproom (Durham, NC) last week for lunch. As usual, I surveyed the 50 taps to see what treasures awaited. The 'tender told me of two new Dogfish taps: Immort Ale Ale and Burton Baton. Now, I went through a four-pack of Immort Ale last year when it first became available in NC and I really enjoyed it. Burton Baton, however, has eluded me for some time. I had a 12oz bottle a few years ago, but no memory of that experience remains so I decided to accompany my lunch with Burton Baton with the idea that a second beer would follow.

The dark amber brew was served in a wide-bottomed Dogfish Head snifter. A two-finger light tan head formed, but died down rather sudden and left a thin lacing of bubbles around the perimeter. Dark malts dominate the aroma, while hints of buttery diacetyls and grapefruity citrus linger in the background. Caramel and sweet malts are upfront in the flavor profile, while a lighter, hoppy finish-although still dominated by malts-confirms the style. The lingering aftertaste is quite bitter, but a sweet nuttiness remains. It's certainly a thick and creamy brew.

The alcohol is really powerful; I realized about three-quarters of the way into the glass that this would be the only beer I would experience that day. It was much more than I could have imagined!

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

2 bottles compared simultaneously, one bottled on 12/29/05 and the other on 1/18/07. Tasted on 1/26/08. Let's see what difference a year makes. First, I will review the one year old and then make some comments about the two year old, where appropriate -

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a rocky head that lasts quite a while and leaves plenty of lace. The older it gets the darker the color

Smell: Big alcholic nose of caramel, and rum-soaked fruit (raisins and apricots); after two years, the aroma becomes more subtle

Taste: Opens with a sweet caramel base that has all the fruit from the aroma and then some; by mid-palate, the oak barrel and vanilla flavors become prominent; after the swallow, the sweetness intensifies and the smoothness builds; there is some residual bitterness from the hops but that is mostly gone by now; by the second year, much of the sweetness has settled down, allowing some of the fruit to shine through

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with moderate carbonation; quite sticky; in the second year, the stickiness is gone

Drinkability: We are really in barleywine territory with this beer by now; just a bit too much on the sweet side and that overwhelms some of the subtler flavors; much easier to drink after two years of aging; the two year old version would get an added 1/2 point for taste, mouthfeel and drinkability

Quite interesting, overall. With DIPAs, you generally want to drink them sooner, rather than later; in this case, I don't really consider the beer a DIPA and, as a barleywine or old ale, it really benefits from extended aging

A few years later, I had the opportunity to sample a fresh bottle that was less than three months old and what a different experience - the piney hops are much more apparent in the aroma and on the palate, with the oaky elements adding a dry, woody touch, as well. Consequently, I boosted my scores by .5 for the T/M/D elements.

3.72/5  rDev -11%

I hate that I'm giving this beer such a low rating. I like that it's unique, and it certainly is, but it's a bit too sweet, too flat, and too not enough hops. This is a single, and has likely been sitting on a shelf for around a year, so my rating may be unfair. It is, however, fair to this bottle, in my subjective opinion.

Now, I purchased another 6 of Hop Slam today ... I'm sure I know which will prevail of the two, if I'm up to it.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery