Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 6,529
3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

For me, this was an example of too much of a good thing, pumped up with so much that it just couldn't carry the burden. Heavy mouthfeel, bordering on syrupy. Powerfully sweet malt wrestled with a blunt hops attack. A bit of burn from the ETOH. Not a badly made beer, by any means, but the volume was turned up too high.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Quite clear pale copper in color, with a small, persistent white head, scattered lacing, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Pronounced herbal hop presence, with a slight note of old cheese, caramel malt, and strong, sweet alcohol.

Taste: Deep flavors of sweet caramel malt from start to finish. The hop presence is rather mild, almost to the point of being understated, finishes with a mild, but lingering herbal hop note. There are subtle oak notes, the alcohol note is utterly concealed.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, almost syrupy, very full.

Drinkability/notes: Superbly crafted, as are all Dogfish Head products, well worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle purchased about a month ago at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.61.No freshness date.

Poured an orangey-copper color with a big, creamy off-white head that took it's time settling. Thick sheets of lace adorn the sides of my EWU pintglass.

The first smell that hops out is the oakiness. This is coupled with a spicy hoppiness. As the beer warms the oakiness seems to recede and things begin to smell more balanced.

The taste is unlike any IPA I've ever had - sweet, but in a way that seems to work. There are bittering hops at work that balance the sweetness out and provide a dry finish. I don't doubt that this might seem a bit cloying if I were to consume multiple pints, but this makes an excellent sipper.

This has a relatively oily mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

This made an excellent nightcap, but I don't think I would want to consume several in a sitting, due to both the high abv and sweetness, whihc might be disagreeable in a large quantity. One of the most interesting beers I've had in a while, and I'd buy it again to serve as a nightcap or dessert beer.

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%

I probably went into this review with a slight prejudice. I love oak aged beers. Aroma was nutty, dark chocolate, mild coffee, but not very hoppy. Of course it had a large oak aroma as well as some vanilla. Small creamy head that disappeared. Flavor bordered on that of a barleywine rather than a DIPA. One can tell this is DFH beer - sweet. Almost too sweet. I've set quite a few aside to age for a year or two.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip from a year of cellaring.

Appearance: Rich amber in color with shades of ruby, looks like a glass of strong iced tea. A small off white head tops the beer and fades quickly to a wispy lacing topping the beer. Tiny streams of carbonation bubbles race to the surface.

Smell: Hints of caramel and brown sugar with an underlying fruitness. Slightly oaky with a just a wiff of alcohol.

Taste: Starts with a nice fruitiness, raisins come to mind along with a touch of apricot. Big malt backbone with plenty of dark brown sugar and molasses in the middle. Hops show in the finish but not in a big way, only slightly bitter. Pretty dry finish which could be caused by the oak. Slight hint of alcohol but that is to be expected for a 10% abv beer.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, full bodied, nicely carbonated.

Drinkability/Notes: A pretty malty DIPA, not quite what I was expecting considering I've had this beer previously. It definitely mellowed out since the 1st time I tried this. Hops are very subdude but in a good way. Plenty of molasses and brown sugar with the oak playing a nice roll. Alcohol is present in the nose and the flavor profile but its not overwhelming. All in all a really well crafted beer. I would almost consider this a barleywine instead of a DIPA but who cares, its still a damn fine beer. Definitely a beer to savor and one I will buy again. Seek and enjoy, highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

120z bottle poured into a snifter glass from the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg, MD. It has been aging for about 8 months so says the bartender.

Beautiful amber haze when out of the bottle. very thin beige color head. No stick on the glass.

Very powerful floral aroma. Fruit and toasted malts are present as well but very subdued.

Possibly the smoothest beer I have ever had. Ever. Big malty taste followed by floral notes again. A rather subdued hop flavor but you can still tell that they are there. On the other end are lots of fruit flavors, mango and peachs come to mind. You can also begin to taste the big alcohol note when it warms up.

A wonderful brew through and through. Had it with Brats and I thought I died and went to beer heaven. Will definitly pick this one up again. The label says to "...hoard from the non-believers." And that is exactly what I plan to do.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Served into a pint glass from the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful full copper color with a sturdy two finger cream colored head. Fairly nice head retention for a beer of 10% abv.

Smell: Very sweet in the nose but I can smell a bit of hop in the form of citrus. Plenty of caramel and wood are present as well. Suprisingly no alcohol is noted for such a big beer.

Taste: EEEKKKK! This is one sweet beer! The massive sweetness is a bit off setting at first but as I relax and really dive in, I discover a nice hop bitterness to help keep me afloat amid the torrent of malt sweetness. Some phenolic spice, astringent alcohol and plenty of citrus are present. This really tastes like a barley wine, big and complex.

Mouthfeel: Very full mouthfeel but the presence of 10%abv helps to lean out an otherwise fat beer. Syrup like stickiness that lingers well into the throat.

Drinkability: I was shocked at such a sweetness for only 10%. That being said, this beer has plenty of flavors to keep a beer geek interested but I don't think I could drink more than one due to its cloying nature. I love Dogfish Head beer and applaud them for producing such a ballsy brew. Cheers!

3.26/5  rDev -22%

Pours a beautiful copper color with a creamy light brown tinged head.

Lots of toffee, caramel, and oak in the nose. Not really a whole lot of hop aromas.

Holy crap this is a sweet beer. Caramel and whiskey dominate the palate. Some oak and rose like floral hop flavors present as well.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation lightly tickles the tongue. It was hard to put 12 oz. of this stuff down because of the sweetness. Might be interesting to age a bottle and enjoy in the Winter, but I found it hard to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

I have mixed feelings about this beer. Dogfish describes this beer as "a blend of oak-aged English strong ale and our 90 Minute I.P.A." I love their 90 Minute IPA, but was not as keen on this beer. It had a sweet quality similar to (while certainly not as extreme) Avery's The Beast Grand Cru.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Honey amber in color with a 1 finger foam head that quickly dissipates. Leaves a decent amount of lacing behind after each sip.

Smell - Honey, lemony citrus notes, vanilla notes, hops and the pineapple scent that I get from the 90 Minute IPA.

Taste - Sweet. Almost to the point of cloying. The sweetness seems to mask a lot of the other flavors. I can taste honey with sweet malt, and a very slight hop backend. Tastes like a 90 Minute IPA with a bottle of wildflower nectar honey poured in it. The hops bitterness shows up more in the mouthfeel than the actual flavor of the brew.

Mouthfeel - Smooth going down with a bitter finish. 10% ABV becomes apparent once the beer has warmed up a little. Medium bodied.

Drinkability - This brew was too sweet to finish fast and too heavy feeling on the stomach to have more than one in one sitting. Definitely a sipper.

I bought a 4 pack and so far I have finished three (not at one time) and set one away for aging. Hopefully aging this brew improves it a little bit. Perhaps my palate is not as developed as it should be to fully appreciate this brew.

3.24/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle from the original 2004 release with Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Tour. Served in a tasting tulip at just over fridge temperature and paired with Chaumes Veritable from France.

Appearance- Pours an attractive fiery deep amber, loud and hissing... the head fights to climb a few inches, but doesn't even remain paper thin after a minute. A few dots of lacing, without any retention.

Smell- Mature, full hop nose that carries a backbone of vanilla and wood from the oak aging.

Taste- This beer incorporates a boozy, almost whiskey cask flavor that intensifies the citrus finish. A woodsy tartness is evident throughout the time spent inside the mouth, coating the teeth and drying the palate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With the most subtle carbonation, the texture expands marginally to add some body to the deep, oaky flavors here. This is not an easy beer to savor, sip, or swig... but it's an adventure nonetheless. I would have loved to have tried this pre-storage just to compare.

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Poured a pure, nectar-like honey color with good retention and nice head presence. Clean smell of hops, but with extra richness and presence that goes deeper than other DIPA's. Smooth taste of an IPA, but more maltiness and not the blasting of hops that you would expect. Honeylike from start to finish. Similar to a combination of a DIPA and a well-aged barleywine. Warming in the body and the smooth nectar presence in the mouth is pure and perfect. Watch yourself so it doesn't go down so fast. Incredible stuff here.

2.3/5  rDev -45%

I feel I should review another beer with my pal AndoBrew or something. Let's do it!

Appearance: Pours a clear, copper body with a frothy, though quickly diminishing head. AndoBrew, looking troubled, says it reminds him of "scary candy." Oh, how right he'll be!

Smell: Beyond a touch of wood shavings and an indistinct orange citrus note, its sweet-smelling candy sugar through and through. AndoBrew concludes Burton Baton has been conceived and made in the same vein as Avery's "Mephistopheles and Other Demons" line (i.e., jacked up sugar and alcohol content). I'm inclined to agree with him.

Taste: Terribly sugary, with a glaring sweetness that impairs the overall taste by laying waste to the other flavors of honey, apples, and pears. Even the bitterness is cowed by the sugar. AndoBrew's vote goes to "Watered down Toffee Brandy blended with a lil' bit of bad news." Right on, Ando.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, but altogether cloying with a searing alcoholic warmth to it. AndoBrew says his mouth feels dried out and sugar-encrusted, like a "problem."

Drinkability: Essentially, I found this to be a flimsy IPA drenched in way too much sugar and alcohol. I feel fortunate to have survived this sugar-esque running of the bulls!

I wonder what beer AndoBrew and I will try next!

1.94/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured a clear amber orange with a moderate white head that subsided to a thick skim leaving lots of thing, sticky lace.

The aroma is malty and with some pungent hops, but they are pretty faint, certainly for a Double IPA. It is mainly sweet.

The taste just smacks you upside the head with sugary sweetness. Lots of brown sugar and stone fruit like apricot. Where are the hops??? A bit of flowers try to break through that malt, but they ultimately fail. The finish finally reveals the oak, but man, this is a sugary strong amber ale in my mind. I was hoping that blending the 90min with an oak aged batch would temper the malty sugar bomb, but I was mistaken.

The mouthfeel is pretty viscous, inspite of the active streamers, this is syrupy.

The drinkablity on this one was low. Way to sugary and pretty much no hops. My beer store, which has pretty high turn over, just got this, so even though it's from back east, I doubt it's that old that the hops would have faded so much. And the malt is so sweet and fresh and sugary. I'll easily forget about the other one I have until it's well past it's prime I'm sure, even though that's probably 5-10 years out (prime being relative). From what I'd heard of this brew, it was very dissapointing. And then I remembered I've felt this way about pretty much ever DFH brew I've ever had!

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Here's a drinkable, complex, high ABV beer that more than met my expectations. Poured into a pint glass, the brew sports a thick and rocky white head. Huge tufts of lace cling to the sides of the glass through the bottom of the beer. The liquid is a clear but deep copper. It has a much better head than most high alcohol beers.
The aroma is very interesting. There's a little ripe fruit, a bit of malt, and a huge, expressive hoppiness...citrus and must. There's also a wood character that makes a nice back-statement. The taste is sweet, but balanced with a long and solid bitterness. The beer if full bodied, and the flavors are very intense, which seems to hide the alcohol. Still, there's a little warming by the end of the glass. This is a great brew.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Purchased a bottle of this in NYC, and got another from AlohaC as part of Secret Bunny 2007; not sure which this one was, so I'll thank AlohaC anyway! Thanks!

Poured a dark golden or light brown into an oversized wine glass. Very little head, but lots of lacing as I drink. Oak and vanilla are prominent in the aroma, with a little bit of piney hops and soap in there for good measure. Smells sweet, and the taste follows up big time. I actually was not a huge fan of this -- I realize the oak aging dulls the hops and increases sweetness, but for me it was surprisingly cloying. Maybe it was just the surprise factor, but I didn't find it as amazingly drinkable as some people have. Flavour is heavy on the vanilla, caramel, cotton candy, and molasses. A little bit of field fruit and grassy hops in there as well. Mild bitterness shows up in the aftertaste. Well above average, but not knock-me-out wow.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Recieved this amazing beer as part of a trade with JasonM of Pittsburgh, PA.

Pours a beautiful what i would call deep caramel color. Bright white head settles to leave a nice, long lasting layer of foam. Nice hoppy nose, faint odors of oak and tobacco, also possibly pears. Taste is very smooth. You can definitely taste the oak, it helps to mellow the characteristic extreme hop bitterness DIPA's usually have. It tastes more like a very hoppy barley wine than a DIPA. Very full bodied and well balanced. Alcohol gives a bit of bite to the back of the throat, but the overall smoothness brought about by the oak aging mellows it substantially.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

One of my very favorite beers. Pours a nice orange-copper color with lots of fine streams of bubbles. Aroma is somewhat lacking. Flavor of sweet grapefruit and maybe a little pineapple throughout, oak, some caramel, with a nice crisp, only moderately bitter aftertaste. Despite the less-than-typical hoppiness, this year's blend reminds me more of Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA and seemed to have a little less oak character than last year's batch, but that's a nit. Highly recommended.

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

Brewed and bottled 12-29-05, so this one's almost 1.5 years old. First time I've had it. Honestly I've done so much trading lately I forget who hooked me up, but it was an unexpected surprise and much appreciated. I'd been wanting to try this for a while.

A barleywine in appearance, it's a deep and thick amber that is not a particularly good friend of light. There is a small head of foam and the carbonation looks fairly inactive. Slight lacing, but honestly one of the better lacers I've had in the bottle from DFH. Pouring into a Belgian-style snifter, my trusty 2005 strong beer month glass. The nose is pretty ballsy, with crystal and carmel malts dominating, and some alpha hops, but in the back. Smells a bit oxidized like mud, lets hope for the best. Perhaps this doesn't age with the best of them after all? Time to find out.

Mmm! It's got lots of chocolate malts upfront, lots of carmel malts and faint bitterness in the middle, and finishes with the faint hoppyness and big malt body fading away with some soft water and alcohol. Reminiscant of Old Stock from North Coast. No oxidation present, although I can certainly tell it's a vintage beer. Faint heat. Really a ton of malt in this bad boy. I definatley wouldn't call it a 2xIPA, but I won't penalize it for the classification. I'd say old ale or barleywine for sure, but I'll let the brewers make the call. Great after dinner drink, maybe with a cigar.

Carbonation is neither here nor there. The few bubbles rise extremely slow, almost hanging in suspention, and are a blast to watch every time I stir the glass. This one could be a real challange at room temp...I'd recommend it straight from the fridge and let it warm slowly over the course of enjoying for 45 min or so. There are more drinkable challanging big beers out there, but this one is quite nice. Cheers to DFH!

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottled on date 1/08/07. 12 oz. bottle poured into a DFH snifter

Appearance: Reddish amber with peach hues. 1/2 inch fluffy head that quickly dissipates and forms a ring around the edge of the glass

Smell: Sweet fruit like pineapple, peach, apricot and mango. Hop oil and a slightly grassy aroma is also noticable.

Taste: Upfront there is a stone fruit sweetness the quickly gives way to an alcohol bite and a quick hop punch. Very strong malt flavor for a DIPA.

Mouthfeel: moderate bodied with low carbonation due to the oak aging of half the beer. Coats the mouth with sweetness and lives an astringic drying sensation from the high alcohol.

Overall: Truely an excellent beer, simple but original concept from the guys at DFH. Although the presence of the 90 min ipa is very strong, still an interesting and incredibly enjoyable brew. At 4 bucks a pop, it is a rare treat to be sipped and enjoyed with friends.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Clear dark copper, small head but good lacing.

Smell: Very complex for my nose. Citrus, woody notes, dark fruit smells can all be found.

Taste: I'm really impressed by this even though it doesn't pack the bitter punch I'm used to from DIPAs. This beer is quite sweet with a kind of wine-like bite. A complex mix of dark fruits, sweetness, and a little citrus makes this very enjoyable.

Drinkability: This went down really good. I'd like another but it's a little pricey to blow through in one day.

My favorite style is the DIPA, this beer is unlike any other DIPA I've had. But it is an excellent beer and one I'll definitely come back to.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a crystal clear copper-orange color. Produces a thin white head which reduces to a swirly, paisley pattern of foam. Some dispersed streaky lacing along the sides of the snifter.

Rich, sweet aromas of caramel and butterscotch candies along with honey and maple syrup come immediately to the forefront. More sudued notes of citrus/pine hop resin, vanilla, raisin, flowers, alcohol and freshly cut wood float in the background.

Palate was fairly slick and sticky, but perhaps just slightly on the thin side for such a huge brew.

The flavor department delivers quite a pancreas stimulating sweet malt-monster here with notes of candy sugar, orange blossom honey, butterscotch, caramel and rum cake. Subtle flavors of citrusy hop flowers, spices, vanilla bean and toasted oak come to the rescue to tame the insulin-soaked sweetness of this malty ale.

Finishes sweet and very warm; reminiscent of rum soaked fruitcake. Overall not what one would consider a well balanced DIPA, but still a solid and unique beer well worth exploring.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Beautiful mahogany color, clear, with a substantial head and excellent lacing. Full spicy/earthy hop aroma, with a touch of fruitiness. The taste is quite sweet malt with a little butterscotch. Bitterness is moderate but there's some dilectable spicy hop flavor. Quite estery yeast character. Finishes with lingering sweetness and a tad bit of alcoholic bite.

This would be an odd IPA, let alone double IPA. I would have guessed barley wine would be a much better style category. But it's very characterful and tasty regardless.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

From a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours a deep orange color with just a bit of white head. Leaves nice lacing along the edges of my snifter.

Smells of citrusy hops and sweet fruit.

Taste is very much like that of the other big IPA's from DFH. Hops are not overly pronounced. Has a very lingering sweetness that some dislike but I don't mind at all. Sweet pineapple and tart grapfruit blend nicely.

Well balanced. A blend of their 90min and something oak aged although I couldn't taste any of the barrel aging. Very fine brew.

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper with rosey hues. Light tan foam reaches almost an inch and holds up well. Nice appearance. The smell seems a bit faint really, some light hops, with a hint of caramel sweetness underneath. The alcohol fume creeps out some after while.

The taste is a different story, this beer is a complete malt bomb, intensely sweet with sugar, caramel, and raisin. It's definitely too sweet, with a moderately warming alcohol finish. The hops and expected hop bitterness for a DIPA just aren't really there in the flavor. The mouthfeel is light and somewhat thin, with a syrupy slickness. The carbonation is very fine but decently sharp.

The first time I tried this beer I hated it. I waited to review it this time and have realized that it just wasn't what I expected. I should have known better what to anticipate because this is just like all the other big DFH beers, strong and malty sweet. It's not bad, but not great either, just drink it slow and it will grow on you.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Perfectly clear copper appearance. Slender white bubbly head. Lace is sporadic and web like. Pretty nice aroma and quite unique actually. Nice fresh hop flower aromas, but not like a West Coast DIPA. This is a little more fragrant perhaps but also mutated into something totally different by the presence of the oak barrel traits. It's all good. Upon first tasting this, I realize that this beer has got some character. Very rich malt base of nougat and caramel and toffee. Pretty sweet actually. (But that's not out of the realm for DFH and DIPAs. See 120minute for example.) Layered on top of the decadent maltiness is some spiked fruit punch character and some oakiness. Hoppy?? Not really. Bitter?? No. Good?? Yes!! Very...

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery