Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

#866

Ratings: 6,608 |  Reviews: 1,885

Poured a medium Amber with a light head into a Pint glass.

Smelled malty and hopped up with some sweetness.

Tasted remarkably similar to DFH 90 minute to me at first taste when coming out of a refridgerator. As I gave it some time to warm up, I could definitely taste a more pronounced oaked flavor. I would recommend to everybody trying this beer to give it some time to warm up to let some of the complexities warm up. Beer can be shy at first. While I cannot complain that it tastes very similar to DFH 90, since I really enjoy their 90 minute, I was slightly let down at first and then as time went, Burton Baton opened up and I had decided that this beer was worth having more than one of. Worth $4 a beer ? sometimes

A: Beautiful amber color with white thick head. Good clarity.

S: Strong alcohol smell. Lots of caramel and vanilla tones of the malt. Not very hoppy smelling which I was expecting.

T: The alcohol smell also is in the taste of the beer. Heavily alcoholy with caramel undertones. Small amount of piney hops to this beer and more of a malty taste.

M: Good mouthfeel. Highly carbonated as well as good medium bodied mouthfeel. Not too bubbly on the mouth.

O: Overall I like this beer. Not sure if it 100% falls into the imperial IPA category but I do like everything about it.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery