Burton Baton | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!

Added by Todd on 12-08-2004

Reviews: 1,856 | Ratings: 6,517
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Belgian Independence Day tulip. Bottle date is 4/ 07/ 11. Making this bottle just over a year old.

A- Hazy amber color with a one finger head that holds strong. Very sticky lacing and active carbonation.

S- Sweet malts, caramel, raisin, oak, aged hops, bitter soap and slight amount of citrus. Very complex and nice. I'm surprised that the hops still find themselves in the nose.

T- Oak, toffee, tobacco, aged hops, bitter soap, vanilla and raisin. This is transitioning into a nice sweet complex ale. Still has some IPA characteristics but moving towards a complex barleywine. I like

M- Perfect. It is easy drinking with a smooth finish, no alcohol burn and balanced carbonation.

O- This beer is aging nicely. I cant wait to drink them at 2yrs, 3yrs, maybe 5? It is a beer that is not only good fresh but has great potential for placing in the cellar and drinking aged.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A- Pours a nice dark amber/orange with a quickly retreating two inch head, which leaves a heavy lacing as it withdraws. (All of the lacing eventually diappeared but it kept head until the final swallow.) The head itself is bright white.

S- The smell is mostly oak with a hint of citrus hops. The oak gives it that old "English" style aroma. I smell a little bit of fresh orange or grapefruit on the edges, but the oak is the main part of the nose.

T- The taste is very complex. Right out of the gate I get this heavy oak and malt thing going on, but just before I can properly diagnose it, the bitterness of the hops comes crashing through and the malt/oak only returns on the finish as a slight afterthough. In the hops I taste smokey grapefruit. Thats right, smokey grapefruit. It is a shocking as it sounds, yet it is very pleasing. The malt backbone leaves a little plum and bread taste on the finish. Very well balanced. It is the perfect struggle of sweet and bitter. For a 10 percent ABV, this one shows no trace of booze in the taste. A lot of big D-IPAs will have a booze finish or just overall boozy taste, but not this gem. It tastes like oak and oranges and hops and bread and plums and malt and maybe even molasses but not even a tiny hint of alcohol. I think they could sell this thing without checking IDs.

M- The mouthfeel on this thing is great, but a little bit odd. There is a lot of carbonation on the front of the tongue, but on the back of the tongue and in the swallow is it cask-condtioned flat. The odd part is that the carbonation on the front of the tongue lasts beyond the actual swallow. I have never had that happen before. In other words, the throat never burns, but the front of the tongue feels fizz all the way beyond the finish. Nice concept.

O- Although the oak is not normal for an American D-IPA, it adds something fun. It does, however, cause it not to have the taste characteristics I look for in a D-IPA. Not enough citrus in the taste. I feel obliged to take off points from the taste for the things it is missing for this style. It really needs a style category of its own. It is not sessionable because you can really only drink one or two in a day without getting hammered. It is a terrific brew worthy of sharing with only the most special guest. It is a little pricey, but I think it is worth it. It wont make my "best double ipa" list because it is not true to the style, but it makes my "top 5 beers ever" list hands down. Very well done and worth the price and the wait. Another great Dogfish offering.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - poured into a tulip glass a rosy copper color with a thin head. Medium bubbles and little lacing on the glass.

S - slightly spicy with floral and citrus notes.

T - sweet to start, finishing malty then back to sweet with an aftertaste reminiscent of barleywine. Pretty well balanced but a bit sweet and in my opinion could be more bitter.

M - smooth and pleasing; lightly carbonated

O - good beer by a great brewery but not overly exciting. I would definitely recommend to friends with a taste for barleywine. I think the hoppiness of an IPA gets lost a little though.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

4 pack from Beverage Mart on NY 66.

"Please share it with loved ones" - (I didn't)

Opaque peach-orange with a half an inch of creamy head. Very nice hop aroma. Minimal carbonation, good lace.

This is probably among one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Hops are ever present, as they should be -- but there's that smoky, earthy flavor the oak barrels impart. Really a great brew.

Well done DFH. The hits keep on coming.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Love an opportunity to drink a Dogfish beer I haven't yet tried.

Poured into a thistle glass - becoming my new favorite glass for any IPA style.

Reddish-orange clear pour with a light head. Smells a little like Redpop with a little vanilla cream thrown in. May have been my nose, but I didn't detect a strong fragrance.

Tastes a bit like it smells. Bitterness from start to finish - lingers for longer than I prefer. Bitterness on the dry side, not getting much hop note with the bitterness.

Like all of their beers I have tried, this beer feels good to drink. I could sip through a couple no problem. No need to do more than that.

I little disappointed, not sure if I will get again.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Reviewed in a Bruery Tulip

A: A bold pour resulted with two fingers of a creamy head which dissipates rather quickly leaving behind a gorgeous, heavy-handed lacing.

S: Smell is lightly hoppy, not an in-your-face hop bomb IPA. The lightness is surprisingly orange and citrusy. There is a slight woody/oaky scent as it warms, but I'm mainly getting orange and not much wood, which is probably a result of being new to reviewing. There is a slight alcohol scent, but only towards the end.

T: Once again I get intense orange. It's a light and bright hop taste. The orange that I'm getting is close to cleaning solution/Gojo soap. It's not offensive, just surprising. I'm getting very little oak because the orange hides everything. It lets you know it's 10% only slightly in a final bite.

M: Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel. For some reason my preconceived notions thought it would be thick and syrupy, but this is not so.

O: A nice twist on 90 Minute, but it's an expensive beer that I'm not sure I will keep stocked in my fridge. I'm glad it's going year-round but I don't think I could handle many of these in a sitting.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Orange color with a creamy head that holds almost all the way through the glass. aroma is sweet and malty, hops are mixed in with some fruity and caramel aromas. flavor is very mellow. The sweet caramel malts are actually the dominiant part of the flavor, with the fruit tones and some smoke/oak flavors.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A - deep amber with a tight lacing

S - Slightly sweet with a trace of earthy hop

T - Very complex. Could taste sherry and raisen (?) with a slight bitter finish. It reminded me more of a barley wine than an Imperial IPA

M - heavy with very light carbonation

D - liked it but it wasn't what I thought it would be based on the style. definitely would have it again

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a tulip glass from a bottle.

Pours a beautiful rich amber, with a thin off-white head, which hangs around some throughout,

Aroma is sweet, with some notes of alcohol, and a bit of piney bitterness.

Flavor is wonderfully rich, with good bitterness, and a ton of woody oak character. The alcohol definitely comes through and keeps the hop flavor down somewhat, although the bitterness shines through.

Mouthfeel is towards the heavy side, as expected for the style.

Overall a very good beer, but doesn't have the hop character I would generally expect from an imperial IPA. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though - the oak, sweetness, and hints of alcoholic warmth fill out the beer very nicely.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

WOW....what a fantastic brew.

A: Liquid gold, literally. Pours a gorgeous gold with a nice frothy/hoppy head. You know your in for a treat once you see this baby settle into your glass.

S: Hops, malt, vanilla. The smell doesn't disappoint. There's more than IPA going on here...

T: The taste is fantastic. A delicious bitterness followed by a sweet malt finish with hints of oak, vanilla and caramel. As it warms the oak flavors become more pronounce.

M: Standard fair, not especially viscous or thick, but perfect for me.

D: Extremely high. This is easily once of the best IPA style beers I've ever had. The oak and sweetness keep it from being to hoppy. I could spend an entire evening sipping this brew if only it weren't such a precious elixer. Find yourself a case of this and buy it...you won't be disappointed.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

an orangy, brown nectar that seems to glow. Good two finger head. you can smell it as soon as you pop the top. grapefruit, hoppy green smells dominate the smell.you can also detect the alcohol with a slight burn in the nose. you can taste the 90 minute, mostly in your burps, but it is there with a more burnt goldent aste added to it. not as hoppy and much more reserved, but still clearly DFH. vanillia ntoes pop on the tounge. great thick luxourious mouthfeel, and way to drinable at 10%. perhaps one of the mospt outrageous yet well balanced and beautifully crafted DFH brews.

3.69/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from the tap into a small snifter. It was a pleasant amber color with a small head. The carbonation level was low. I expected a more powerful hop aroma for an American Double IPA, but it was not there.
Flavor was superb. The malt charcter stood out at first and the hops jumped up to balance it as it hit the back of my tongue. A sweet and spicy flavor that didn't diminish as I finished the glass.
Drinkability is a tough one for this beer. I think it is very enjoyable and I could drink more than one and still be happy with it, but the level of alcohol makes it unreasonable to just throw down with reckless abandon. None the less, I gave it a good score for drinkability mostly because I would not put this beer down without finishing it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured at home from a 12 oz bottle in May 2010.

Pours a deep copper amber color. Nice white head with moderate lacing.

Big aromas of everything - the heat of the alcohol, the oak, the big hops and a lot of sweetness from the malt as well as the vanilla (oak).

Very flavorful - big hop character balanced nicely by the vanilla from the oak. The alcohol is definitely masked by the bold flavors and the oak aging.

Very thick, chewy, creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Super long finish.

Dangerous drinkability. Alcohol and overall heaviness will creep up on you but it would be easy to put a few back if you like the bold but balances style.

Great strong beer.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice blend of the two styles, with the citric tang and hop bite nicely complemented by the oak vanilla and malt smoothness. The alcohol heat is present but never gets in the way. This is a stellar offering from a stellar brewery.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

Had a 12 ounce bottle, poured into a DFH perfect pint glass.

Pours dark copper, a little off from perfectly clear with a small white foamy head that disappears just before the beer is finished.

Smells boozy. Roasted malt and sweet, but boozy. Yeah I know it's 10% but a good imperial IPA should taste like, well hops. I didn't get barely any hops.

Taste is good for what it is. Sweet, expected, with a strong malty flavor. The most peculiar thing about this beer is that I get an aftertaste of kiln coffee malt. It tastes like there's a tiny bit of espresso in there or something. Call me crazy, I taste it with every sip.

Mouthfeel is heavy, and not just because it's 10%. It's heavy FOR a 10%. My friend and I split the bottle 6 ounces each, he couldn't finish his and I had a little difficulty putting it all down, and it made my next IPA very refreshing.

Overall, I know I sound like I'm hating on this beer but I wanted to love it and just didn't find it that memorable. A little hard to put down, but the taste was good. Very concentrated.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This one never fails to impress. A very reliable, delicious and interesting beer; had it several times over the past couple of years and it always has been great. The oak flavor is a great addition and doesn't overwhelm the rest of the beer.

I haven't noticed any major differences between the bottle and draft versions. Each time I've tried the beer, regardless of the version, it's been superb. I'm guessing that this is better fresh/on draft, though ... but, then again, I've never been able to keep a bottle long enough at home to age it for an extended period. Might try that sometime.

IMO, this falls within the 4.25-4.5 range. One of Dogfish Head's best.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass.

The pour was a nice copper color with decent beige head that lasted.

The aroma was hops with caramel and followed with a woodsy smell.

The taste was more than I expected, hop flavor throughout, but the oak was a subtle back flavor. I also had the sweet sticky caramel flavor.

Good carbonation and a creamy feel, just about what I would expect

This is a sipper for me. The ABV comes through enough where you do not want to drink too many.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought a four pack of this, spending 16 dollars. Now, I am by no means cheap, but thats a lot so I expect a lot- like I should see jesus or something.

The appearance was a glistening reddish gold, smelled of sweet and sour, followed by a complex variety of flavors ranging from cherries, malts, green apple, and slight hops. For an imperial IPA I was hoping for more distinct hopiness, which this beer does not have. Though the alcohol content is high, its a very smooth drink.

Overall an exceptional beer in many ways, but I didn't see jesus. Probably not something I will get again.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is much better tasting after bottle aging for 6 months, and even better after a year. The longest I aged was 1.5 years, and it tasted the best. It's a really good beer either way, but I'd put the taste at 4.25 for drinking it right away.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A - Poured a deep amber colour; cloudy. One finger of thick cream coloured head.

S - Bitter grapefruit hops with sweet caramel malts; some vanilla in the background.

T - Bitter grapefruit hops with some pine that are very noticeable up front. A sweet caramel malt backbone. Bitter in the finish with some oak. Alcohol is present here, but not overwhelmingly so.

M - Medium body, lots of chew. Sort of silky. An odd but very welcome mouthfeel for a DIPA.

D - Remarkably drinkable for a 10% ABV beer.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a tulip, the golden-brown liquid produced a finger of head for a moment. Has a nutty, bread-like smell with vanilla, caramel, cherries, and a hint of lime. Flavor begins with some smokey bourbon, mild raisins and full-on sweet mash. Finishes like an IPA with grapefruit zest and hop bite which demands another sip. Complex and a good-sized body. Another well-conceived dogfish head brew.

Bottle tasted 8-6-09 in stemmed red wine glass

Aroma- orange and citrus, caramel, candy sweetness from malt. dfh yeast (english esters). clean malt and yeast. grapefruit, tropical. very fruity and sweet, great aroma.

App- clear copper. small white foam dissipates.

Taste- hoppy bittereness and flavor. resinous. grapefruit, tropical fruit. sweet cloying malt finish. some vegetative hop character. light caramel. earthy finish. slight roast and resin burn. slightly tart.

Mouthfeel- full. med carb. very resinous. dry and astringent from resin and alc, otherwise sweet.

Overall- very good. resin could be toned down and more hop flavor. complex and interesting. not a good DIPA but a great beer.

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours to a nice head that is holding. Has a nice amber color. The oak and hop can not be missed in the aroma, and carries over to the taste just as well. There is also a big body with a nice sweet undertone. I am noticing the flavors are melding much better as it gets warmer. As far as drinkability this is something to appreciate at a very moderate pace. The fact this is 10% is very well masked by the big flavor. All in all this is a fine offering once again by Dogfish Head. I think for any DIPA drinker they will enjoy this very much.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This beer pours golden brown, slightly opaque, with a creamy off-white head which leaves little whisps of lacing down the side of the glass.

Initially, I smell a caramel/oak/sugary malt. Some of the beer spilled over the glass and that is what brought out these aromas. Sticking my nose in the glass, the hop nature of the IPA comes out along with a little grapefruit centered citrus.

The taste of this beer is very balanced. Hops and citrus up front followed by an oaky/smokey malt. The finish is slightly sweet with a strong alcohol presence.

The mouthfeel is creamy, very creamy. Medium bodied and creamy.

This beer is very drinkable if you ignore its ABV. Quite a tasty, not over-oaked IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first impression is from resiny, piney hop aroma, which is strong in the first pour but dissipates after a few moments. There's also alight bready, malt scent.

An off-white creamy head with tight lacing and good retention of about .25-inch of head sits well, and it pours a golden, copper color with ample carbonation, slightly hazy.

Clean, crisp flavor is the first taste. The expected hop kick isn't there. Oh, there's bitterness but it's very much in balance with slightly sweet malt and mellow oak. That lovely oak is right at the front of the palette with a touch of citrus and malty sweetness. Surprisingly, there only a little bitterness at the front. Burton Baton finishes with small amount of alcohol warmth, dryness and bitterness.

It's a sneaky beer, for sure, at 10% ABV, so it's probably good they only come in 4-packs. You could easily drink a lot of this beer and not necessarily realize it.

Burton Baton from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery