Immort Ale

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

Reviews: 1,194 | Ratings: 2,746 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Westsidethreat:
Westsidethreat from California

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Paprika colored with pomegranite highlights. Clear except for the chill haze, fairly still with some very slow moving bubbles. Carbonation is on the low end, a few wisps of latte colored bubbles drift on top with a solid ring around the glass.

S: Vanilla, light peat, butterscotch custard and prunes.

T: Holy crap! I wasn't ready for this. OK...Toffee right of the bat gets enveloped in a swath of peat smoked grains. Some much dark fruite happening its hard to put your finger on one specific flavor. Raw sweet roll dough, caramel and pecan add extra depth to an already insane beer. Finishes really sweet, apricot, butterscotch and maple....somewhat cloying.

M: Full, syrupy, sticky.

D: Great beer, love the concept. Love the experimentation. Gets a bit cloying after a while. As it warms, extra layers of depth really start to shine. I'd love to try this beer with 2-3 years of age under its belt

Oct 23, 2006
BloodSoakedAleMug from New York

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I paid $21 for a four pack of this, so needless to say I had very high expectations off the bat. Whenever I see primadonna extravagantly priced beers like this on the shelves, I usually stay away since I've had so many disappointments in the past. One night I was wandering around the beerhouse wondering what to purchase 5 minutes before closing time, I couldn't make up my mind and decided to pick a beer that I normally wouldn't try. I wagered Dogfish Head was a rather safe bet.

So I'm thinking good thoughts and trying to be as positive and as optimistic as possible on the drive home so as not to resent the beer for it's hefty price tag even before I try it. I was rather skeptical and harbored a bit of buyer's remorse at the time. But before I knew it I was working my way into my second bottle and realized how easily the first 12'ozs went down, I soon grew to appreciate what exactly this beer is about.

Are you in the mood for a silky, boozy, pale ale/barleywine hybrid? Great! Because this is one!
I won't lie, I had to open two of these because the first went down so fast I couldn't type quickly enough before it was finished to give it an accurate review.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Look: Pours a reddish copper orange, with a khaki colored head. Relatively large, slow drifting bubbles float up towards the brim of the glass to form a dense three fingered foam. It fades quickly leaving a fine film of lacing.

Smell: Bourbon - but it's from a combination of other scents. Estery, solvent oak wood, maple sugar, a hint of juniper and peat smoke. A touch of red honeycrisp apples. Mild toasted oatmeal and caramel. To top it off the smell of fresh spring water from a babbling brook highlights it all and lingers in your nostrils on the back of the aroma.

Taste: Taste this with your nose and sip it slowly. As delicious and easy to put down as this is, this is one you want to dwell on so you can appreciate the flavors and so you don't get hammered, because it WILL get you there.

This is like a pale ale version of a bourbon breakfast stout, it's remarkable. Unfortunately it's also quite hard to describe what exactly I'm tasting since it goes down so easily.

There's this attractive alcoholic nip that underlays the entire tasting experience. From its warmth, plums, blueberries, raisins and candied cherries emerge and mingle with the taste of caramel, maple syrup and mild fudge.

Notes of red wine, probably from the combination of the 11% abv and red/deep blue fruit flavors.

The aftertaste is smoky and woody with notes of cinnamon and rosewater perfume (probably from the juniper) but it's never exacerbating dry or phenolic.

Feel: Oddly easy to put down as I mentioned. The yeast provides a really nice texture to complement the effervescence. It has an alcoholic, Tanquerey type finish - and as dry as it is it doesn't leave you reaching for a glass of water.

Apr 16, 2016
Jadjunk from Georgia

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

"Vast in character, luscious and complex, this smooth, full-bodied ale reveals interwoven notes of maple, vanilla & oak." Brewed in the style of an English Strong Ale. Released annually in 4 packs as part of Dogfish Head's Ageable Ales series, this is the only one of the four that can be legally sold in my conservative state of Georgia. Bottled in 2013A.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to the Dogfish Head Signature Glass. Served north of 56ยบ Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a caramel cream head of a golden white tone and a thin creamy consistency. Body color is a solid red amber with high clarity and moderate carbonation. Retention is average, lacing is barely there as well. A decent appearance, not spectacular by any means. 3.25

(Smell) Aroma consists of thick, bready and medium roasted malts, a touch of grain alcohol, strong fruity esters via notes of figs and semi-dry raisins bordering on vinous qualities red grapes, moderate sharp spices of mace, allspice and cloves. Maple sweetness is very likely and brings some booziness with it- vanilla tags along in traces and oak notes are certainly prevalent. The oak-laden solvent character is ever pleasant, like a boozy, moderately smoked scotch ale, this one may be a tad harsh to some noses, but not mine. Potency is high. 4.25

(Taste) The roasted caramel and maple flavor takes a lead role in the flavor. Big notes of lightly spiced bread, sweet maple syrup and molasses rounded out by a rough grain alcohol edge, a mellow acidic puff of smoke, and a mild dark fruit assortment. Figs, dates, red grapes, plums- a little of each fruit makes up for any remaining holes in the malt profile. Very low hop profile overall, bitterness is mostly led by a grainy acidity, a mellow fruity tartness and accentuated by a faint oak dryness. Finishes with a wood-laden bready maple undertone and a hint of fruity booze. I love the bold malt bill flavors this beer has to offer- it reminds me directly of some of my favorite Wee Heavy beers with that strong oaken-malt character. There are not nearly as many off-flavors as I have been led to believe, and all lend a desirable depth to this beer. 4.25

(Mouthfeel) Creamy smooth bready malt body, a touch boozy with a pinch of sweet bourbon, finishing lightly dry from a touch of grain alcohol and fruit. Body is medium/high for the style, shy of high overall- the syrup additive makes for a heavily-flavored beer but still manages a very high drinkability. Alcohol presence is medium. Some aging will definitely tone the heat down and mellow out the other extremes. The ideal texture for this beer is pretty much there; it's just a touch boozy which personally doesn't bother me as much as a beer with wild carbonation or off-putting textures. 4

(Overall) It's certainly a new level of intensity, even by Dogfish Head's standards. Immort Ale has a great deal of roasty, toasty caramel malt depth and maple bourbon sweetness plus pinches of oak and vanilla for what can only be a very tasty, smooth and mildly sweet beer to fulfill your malt-lovers' wildest dreams. I'm not sure what the fuss is about over this beer, aside from some booze that will inevitably fade with time, it suits me just fine. 4

Dogfish Head Brewery's
Immort Ale
4.13/5.00

Vertical reviews:

(2013-1 year aged): Aroma is a bit more sweet and fruity than the fresh vintage, with notes of raisin, date and fig developing, although this overshadows much of the earthy tartness of the fresh vintage. This flavor is also much more prevalent in the flavor, with bold notes of licorice, peat smoke and dark candied fruits generating a much more robust flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel shares similarities with carbonation, although the body thickens slightly and comes off a bit more heavy, viscous and syrupy. I found this an excellent candidate to age with a lot of developed flavor by year one, and I hope that Dogfish Head brings Immort back in the near future, although it seems to have been replaced by Raison D' Extra for 2014. Keep a single bottle if you have some Immort ale left to enjoy.

Recommended vintage: Fresh-1 year (Both are fantastic)

May 30, 2014
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery "Immort Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON 01/22/16" and sampled on 01/04/17
$3.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Although I can't say that Immort Ale was one of the beers that started my interest in beer all those years ago (I was well into everything by then, imports, west coast beers, anything really), I can certainly say that it was one of the ones that 'jump started' my interest. I used to buy it by the case and always had it around, but looking back now I can't even remember the last time I've had one. So let's see... it looks the same: cloudy deep-copper beneath a rocky head of yellowed tan. Excellent head retention and lacing. And that aroma! Golden and medium caramel malt that's almost like wort. It's rich and kind of sugary, and woody and almost a touch smoky - it reminds me of camping in my home brewing days (although we were also drinking a lot of 12 Horse Ale back then). And the flavor! The maple syrup comes through, as does the vanilla (especially in the finish), but there's also a lot more going on: honey, brown sugar, coconut, soft fig, leaves, grass, apple, raisin, a waft of spice on the wind, birch wood smoke, oak, and dusty earth. Yeah, this was one of my favorite beers because it was so big and full, right up there with Anchor's Old Foghorn or Sierra's Bigfoot but completely different, and really out on its own plain. But in all honesty, it seems even better now. It's rounder, and smoother, and more balanced - perhaps a little less smoky, and a bit more spicy than I remember it. And as I sit here my eyes have wandered and I notice that it's not that well regarded on BeerAdvocate with just an 87 overall... can that be? Why? Is it because it's not that hoppy? Because it's not that fruity? Or, let's get to it, because it's so malty? Hmmm, it is very malty, but then it becomes fruity, and then it's dry and lightly spicy in the finish without being too bitter. It's balanced despite it's maltiness, yet it's lingering richness is almost as good as a fine English barleywine is whilst still in the mouth. Haaa! Perhaps I've got too much of a romance for this beer already set in my mind and my heart? - although I do have it right now before me for clarity, and I don't feel I'm at all swayed. Or is it just that I know it from a time when there was less, before the rise of IPAs and sour beers, before Imperial anything except for Russian stouts? I'd imagine that tasting this beer now with inexperienced lips and tongue, after many of the other beers that are on market have passed, one might not be impressed by it and simply push it aside as "sweet, malty, and trying-too-hard" - but it was once one of the many shots first fired in the revolution. So I'll tip my hat to it again, and relax and take another sip of that complex and malty beast, and bask in its richness and the experience that it gives. Vivre les Immort!

Jan 04, 2017
MattyG85 from Minnesota

4.46/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a deep brownish amber with a moderate amount of bubbles. Slight finger of off white head that quickly fades away.

Smell: A sweet and fairly fruity aroma with a scent of oak and vanilla. Barley malt with hints of toffee, caramel, and biscuit with some peat and yeast. Good scent of oak and maple syrup. Fruit hints of apple along with dark fruit hints of raisin, fig, cherry, grapes, and dates. Sweet hints of brown sugar. A pretty nice complex aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a sweet and fruity taste with notes of oak, vanilla, and dark fruit. Barley malt with notes of toffee, caramel, biscuit, smoke, and nuts with some peat. Notes of oak, tobacco, and leather. Sweet taste of maple syrup, vanilla, and brown sugar. Fruit notes of apple along with dark cherry, fig, raisin, grape, and dates. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, slick, and syrupy. Alcohol heat is minimal.

Overall: A very good complex ale. Good blend of oak, syrup, and dark fruit flavors.

Jul 05, 2016
stakem from Pennsylvania

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

2008 bottle poured into a sturdy DFH snifter appears a hazy mahogany color with khaki head thats quick to fade leaving spotty lace.

Aroma is hearty with molasses, chocolate and caramelized sugars. Almost a light nutty aspect emerges as it breathes.

Taste is sweet and mildly smokey giving way to light oxidation, oak and almost a nuttiness. Fruity and vinous across the finish.

Medium to fuller in body with ample carbonation. This is a pretty complex and easy drinking brew for 11%.

Jan 12, 2017
dbl_delta from Pennsylvania

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Undated bottle into pint glass. Pour a hazy brown with a thin off-white head. Initial impression is sweet vanilla, raisin, smoke, caramel, maple...there's a lot going on here. Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and very, very smooth. Slight alcohol burn, but all things considered it's pretty well hidden for 11%. Sweet, boozy finish.
I got a 4-pack of these for Father's Day - might celler the other three and see what they're like in a year or so.

Jun 26, 2016
Samp01 from New Jersey

12oz bottle 2012 aged one year. Pours a slight cloudy rich copper amber with a quickly fading razor thin head. Aroma is of sweet caramel malt, yeast, fruity some toasted vanilla oaked essence and dark fruit and mild maple notes, some smokey notes as well. Taste the same as aroma with a bit of earthy herbal hops bitterness and a bit of brandy like notes in the flavor. The palate is a full and rich and smooth with moderate carbonation and there is some bubble effervescence. Finish is the same as taste with some smoked flavors as it warms up with a lingering brandy like sweetness and mild bitterness on the end. Not as sweet as some other barley wines as this is labeled but very good. Overall a very good smooth and easy drinking and pleasant bw. Very nice, I feel immortal already. enjoy

Sep 29, 2014
Coffdaddy from Maryland

Another fantastic DFH beer. I think this beer needs to be aged 2+ years to bring out its full potential.

Jan 31, 2015
gotzilla from California

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a powerful kick ass 11-percenter that is all the reasons I used to love dogfish. There's also a reason I quit loving dogfish -- a little too strong and clever -- and this is also a threat here. I'm going to have to revisit this one (poor me) but I think I really like it. Chicory, maple thickness yet quite easy to drink and get drunk.

Sep 03, 2016
bigbubba from Ohio

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A great tasting strong ale. Very high in alcohol but extremely easy to drink. It is very sweet with lots of malt evident. It has a hazy amber appearance and thin head, but the taste more than made up for it. It may not be my preferred style of beer but it sure cheered up a cold winter day.

Feb 03, 2004
armock from New York

A - Poured a brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing

S - Is of caramel malt the oak and alcohol come out as well

T - This is a strong ale the caramel malt gets chased down by the oak flavor and alcohol

M - This beer has a medium body with light carbonation to it

D - I think that this is a very good beer I really like how the oak flavors come out in this beer however the alcohol is very present and I don't think that I could drink more than one in a sitting

Jun 18, 2008
Arbitrator from California

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a mason jar. Received in a trade from Uwftke26. Thanks Ryan.

A: Pours a fairly murky amber color with orange tints against the light. Develops a surprisingly large 1 finger of off-white head for an 11% beer. Retention is poor (expected), but the collapse leaves lacing down the sides. The remnant is a light film with a donut on top of the brew.

S: Maple, vanilla, and rubbery ethanol. WTF.... But as it warms, the booze is suppressed (or at least other aromas come out more). Lots of toffee, caramel, raisins, tobacco, leather, smoke, and oak.

T: When cold, it starts off strongly with maple and a tannic vanilla character. Hints of raisins as well and pepper. But the finish is, like the nose, a strongly boozy, rubbery ethanol flavor. The aftertaste carries hints of grain and reminds me of Cheerios. It improves substantially as it warms over a few minutes; the ethanol is still present and noticeable, but there's a warm oak character to it as well as a malty toffee and caramel backbone. It also develops a leathery tobacco bent in the initial taste and a smoky character near the finish; these strongly dominate the flavor and somehow work pretty well with the boozy ethanol (not that it's perfect, but better than the solventy flavor it has when cold). Cocoa and marshmallow on the exhalation. I'm impressed.

M: Medium-full with low-moderate carbonation. Pretty standard for a strong ale. A semi-poorly disguised ABV; it's off-putting when the beer is cold, but somehow it blends pretty well into the melange of complex flavors as the beer warms.

D: I wouldn't seek this out again, but I wouldn't turn it down, either. I tend to think DFH's pursuit of "extreme beer" styles as a self-parody, but they do produce some pretty decent brews. I'd say this is one.

Sep 13, 2009
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

I had wanted to try the Immort Ale for the longest time. For some reason it never seemed to show up at the local shops I go to. After stopping at Crazy Bruce's in Connecticut on my way to Vermont I saw that they had bottles of it there. So I made a mixed 6 pack with one Immort Ale. Finally got to have it that night at the motel. I was more than happy about getting it.

It poured out as a nice looking brown color with a slightly fizzy tan color head on it. The smell of the beer had some vanilla, some barrel earthiness to it, there was also a sweet boozy aroma too. The taste was quite nice also, plenty of flavors in this brew. Much like the nose a lot of the same qualities come through on the tongue. The mouthfeel was smooth and semi thick with a good carbonation to it. Overall this beer is a powerhouse. It goes down nicely especially with some aging and it's high ABV can hit ya pretty hard if you let it. Well worth trying though!

Aug 12, 2011

Mar 27, 2016
Jonada from New Jersey

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

2012 bottle served in a Dogfish Head signature glass

Appearance: Dark amber color, 1 finger of a light tan head that dissipated to a thin wispy coating that stuck around for the whole glass. Fairly clear when held up to light, with visible carbonation streaming through the glass

Smell: Peat, smoke, wood, hints of maple and caramel

Taste: Smoked peat, rum soaked bread, dark fruit, slight oak, booze. Sweetness is balanced nicely with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, sticky mouthfeel. Medium/low carbonation.

Overall: Another solid entry from Dogfish Head. I would like to have seen more oak and vanilla shine through, but it's still an enjoyable brew.

Feb 04, 2013
stanowsf from Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev -10%

May 19, 2013
ItsYourBoyBlue from Washington

Jun 21, 2014
Bajdog from Maryland

4.36/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nov 29, 2017
WynnO from Florida

May 25, 2012
roller from Florida

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a thin, tan head. Smells strongly of burnt wood and alcohol. The taste is woody, smoky with raisin and cherry qualities. Alcohol is front and center. Oak flavor is very strong, enough so that it reminds me of a Smoke Ale. A full bodied, intense beer. I enjoyed it okay, but think it's too complex and high in alcohol to have more than one in a sitting.

Aug 09, 2007
animal69 from Louisiana

Aug 14, 2017
portia99 from Massachusetts

12oz bottle (bottled 3/23/10) poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours a mostly clear ruby tinted amber with an active carbonation and a thin cover of fizzy white foam that falls almost instantly with a tan collar and sparse islands of bubbles on the surface.

S - Fruity and flowery/perfumey up front. Pretty sweet in aroma with some woodiness, maple, sugar, alcohol and a just a bit of smokiness.

T - A combination of smokey, sugary sweet, alcohol, caramel, vanilla. There's a lot going on here. The smokeyness and the sweet flavors play off each other nicely with some woodiness that kicks in at the swallow.

M - Medium bodied with lowish carbonation level. A bit of a syrupy feel on the tongue with an overall sweet impression. A smokey aftertaste that lingers.

D - Overall, I am enjoying this beer. Seems to me to be in the same league as Founders Dirty Bastard and/or Backwoods Bastard...however, in comparison doesn't quite stand up to these in my opinion. This is a good Strong Ale that I will definitely revisit though. Alcohol isn't too strong in the flavor profile and doesn't really provide much warmth in the feel either. this goes down way, way too easy for an 11% beer. This just isn't right. Thinking one is all I'm gonna do tonight.

Sep 23, 2010
Espenoza from Brazil

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

It arrived at the table with a dark brown appearance and a thin white head. The nose was very hoppy, with lighter malts tones, there was a certain sweetness that I couldn't place, there also was a definite smell of juniper. The taste was very complex, strong hops with a strong dfh alcoholic bite. The hops were followed by a very nice sweetness from the maple syrup and juniper berries. Its a very nice medium bodied ale.

Jun 05, 2010