Immort Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Immort AleImmort Ale

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: English Strong Ale

For this beer, we use maple syrup from Red Brook Farm -- Sam's family farm in Western Massachusetts, peat-smoked barley, juniper berries and vanilla.

Immort is fermented with a blend of English and Belgian yeasts, then aged in the big oak tanks at the brewery.

The sweet and earthy flavors meld magnificently in the Immort Ale. But be warned, the ABV is 11%, so after one or two you may start feeling immortal (even though we promise you won't be).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001

Ratings: 2,736 |  Reviews: 1,188
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

I should be reviewing more beers, because I drink terribly too much and I love writing, but I saw that this only got an 86 and it blew my mind.

Appearance: The appearance is a dark brown, semi-thick liquid that has no head. It just seems manly.

Smell: The smell is adequate to match the manliness of the look. It smells strongly of maple, vanilla and an almost-whiskey (oak) bourbon-flavor.

Taste: Again, manly. I gave a sip to my aunt who said "too strong for me, that's like taking shots of whiskey." It's maple, vanilla intense character with the nice alcohol burn of 11% really makes this a wonderful sipping beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel isn't anything out of the ordinary for a strong ale, but it matches the beer. It doesn't coat your mouth but you know it's there and doing it's work. It has light feel but the manliness of the alcohol is present throughout the sip.

Overall: I think this beer is terribly underrated and has so much complexity. Just as the bottle says, it's "vast in character." The maple, vanilla and oak all combine to make such a wonderfully different brew that I think it's worth at LEAST a 1-time investment.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.51/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this beer from my local establishment, Civera's. First time I've noticed they had it so lets see how it matches up.

Appearance: Pours a nice, semi-thick, brown, amber copper color. Lace is almost non-existent. Still, not a bad pour atall. I'm assuming dark fruits were used in this recipe.

Smell: Complex scents of smoke and and slight hint of caramel. Also noticed was a hint of vanilla and some maple. Not exactly as loaded with roasted malts as I hoped.

Taste: Immediately, I'm almost overwhelmed with a rush of smokiness, heavy wooden molasses. Only the slightest hint of vanilla comes to mind, but nothing obvious. Alcohol is prevalent, as it should given the content. Something that was too overpowering for me. Not my cup o' tea if you ask me. Too smoked, and the alcohol doesn't fit well with this kind of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, heavy in texture. The bitterness is barely masked by the sweetness of the maple.

Overall: I was a little too optimistic going into this brew. I was a little excited to see something new I haven't had before from this brewery, but unfortunately, this beer wasn't for me. Too much smokiness, and the maple flavors didn't fit well, along with slight traces of vanilla. Not the easiest beer to put down, as it should for the ABV for this brew. Maybe next time Dogfish Head can put out something that is drinkable. I highly doubt I would have this beer again, and most likely would not recommend to a friend. Cheers!

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%