90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,833 | Ratings: 15,238
4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dubbed as the greatest IPA in America.
Well, not sure about that, but damn its good.
DFH puts out some great brews and is a great down to earth company. Go to the brewery in DE if you get the chance.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The reviews for this fine ale had my hopes a bit high. That said, this is a very fine Imperial Ale. The talk of "best ever" needs to be tempered and those reviewers need to pump their perverbial brakes...thumbs up and very good!!!!

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought this at the Craft Beer Cellar in Portland, Maine, enjoyed at around 6C from the comfort of my kitchen.

L: Golden orange, quite clear, pretty small white head with moderate retention & just a touch of lacing down the glass.
S: Some hops but mild, to me it's balanced with bready & mango aromas
T: It's clearly well balanced with some citrus & bready flavours, but to me the peach/mango sweetness comes through most noticeably. There's just a hint of alcohol & pleasant bitterness at the end, well hidden by the other tastes which come through more predominantly.
F: Smooth & full
Overall: It's clearly a great beer. I tend to like IPAs & DIPAs with more citrus & less peach/mango but I really enjoyed this one & for its 9%abv it was ridiculously drinkable. I would have enjoyed a dozen but alas had just one.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've bought this old friend often throughout the years, and it has never disappointed me. It has 9% alcohol, and I'll drink a single bottle at night only when I need a heavy hit. Otherwise, I'll drink something with less alcohol. The Dogfish Head 60 doesn't match the 90, and the Dogfish Head 120 is over the top. As with most of my beers, I buy mine at Kahns in Indianapolis where they're kept in very cold cooler and have a rapid turnover. As I've said in other reviews, the Imperial IPA hops fall off rapidly, so these beers must be drunk at once. I suspect many bad IPA reviews come from beer that has lain in the refrigerator or on the shelf too long, or not kept cold, or gone bad at tap from an old, seldom used keg. Always buy your beer from the brewery itself, or from a cooler at a liquor store with rapid turnover. Take your chances at the tap, unless it's close to the brewery, and with high turnover, such as 3 Floyds' Zombie Dust (Munster, Indiana) on tap at Wrigley Field, (Chicago).

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

L- beautiful dark Amber, small head good retention
S- sweet, some citrus, bread
T- very balanced, dark fruit, fresh bread, citrus. Not hoppy enough for some of my friends, but I appreciate the craftsmanship of a very balanced imperial IPA.
F- nice crisp feel.
O- I love this beer. And Like I said before a very well balanced IPA, the malt cuts the bitterness down which is a good and bad thing, but for this beer it works. You can tell a lot of love went into making this beer.

In a tasting of 24 IPAs, the Dogfish Head 90 Minute was my hands down favorite, mainly because of its balance and malty character. That's not to say that it's not hops forward- it definitely is- but the malt cuts the bitterness with a bready sweetness that I really liked.

In the overall tasting, I realized I am definitely partial to less hoppy IPAs with lower alcohol contents. A friend I was tasting with had the opposite preference; lots of hops and high alcohol. Yet at the end of the day, we both chose Dogfish 90 Minute IPA as our favorite of the group (all of which are listed below), which I think speaks to the beer's versatility and overall appeal.

Beers in the IPA Tasting:

Nimble Giant- Troegs
The Truth- Flying Dog
Perpetual- Troegs

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beer was on draft and complemented the wings that were accompanying it. The flavor was very malty initially, but then the citrus undertones start to take over and coat your tongue very pleasantly. Not a fan of IPAs but i heard Dogfish Head has a great selection and was not let down. The head was small, almost non-existent and the color was a darker orange tone. The smell was pleasant and reflected the citrus notes. The hops were not overbearing in the traditional sense as you would think of an IPA.

Overall, it was a well crafted beer and i will enjoy it again, perhaps over a grilled cheese next time!

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle Date: 6/15/16
Palate Contaminants: meat and potatoes

Appearance is a clear, dark amber that's really more orange. Not much head.

The smell is like a hoppy marmalade. A little malt, a little bit of floral scent. If it was a bit stronger, the grade would be even higher.

Taste has more malt and less citrus, but the degree of sweetness is in the proverbial wheelhouse for my own taste buds. There is also some bitterness up front, but it fades quickly so to not wear out its welcome. There's a good amount of earthiness, as well. The hops are the headliner, but they're there to get along with everybody. The marmalade does get stronger as it warms up.

It's definitely similar to Burton Baton, but less impactful and with a slight bit warmer feel. Not too carbonated, not too flat, just right. Not too boozy, not too thin, just right. It's easy to knock back, so be careful since it's an niner.

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is only my second imperial IPA that I have had, but it blows the other one away by a lot (3 floyds arctic panzer). It has that sweetness with a strong alcohol flavor, but nothing too overwhelming.

3.09/5  rDev -27.1%

I have to rate this as an IPA that fails the most important of all tasting tests. That is that you undeniably smell and taste the alcohol. To me this ruins the whole experience and I'm not liking the beer. Dogfish 60 minute is much better.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from growler into tulip. Pleasent tropical fruit hop charecter with a toasty (perhaps too toasty) malt backbone. A little bit of grapey booziness on the very end. Good beer but perhaps a bit overrated. Would love this beer if the malt charecter was just slightly less roasty.

Second IPA I've tried and I really enjoyed this one as well. Like I've said in other reviews, I'm by no means an expert but if you're looking to try and IPA, I'd give this one a go. I could see myself getting this one in the future for sure. The hoppiness is there for sure and it's got a nice flavor to it.

4.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into snifter. It poured an orange-bronze color with one finger of foamy, egg-white head and extensive lacing. It smells of sweet malt, orange peel, and resinous hops. The taste is a nice blend of malt and hops: it features bready malt, sweet fruit, brown sugar, and hops. There is a slight bitterness at the finish but overall the hops don't bite. You can also taste the booze. This ale has a nice thick body, is moderately carbonated, and the 9% ABV packs a punch. Overall, this is one of the best "malty" IPA's available. I don't drink it a lot but when I do I enjoy it!

4.03/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pour is clear amber. Aroma is hoppy, alcohol sweet, orange peel? Taste is along those lines, I think this beer excels in its balance. Bitter hoppiness, slight booze, malt and pine, none of this overpowering. Even throughout, citrus, and it's stronger than it feels. Astringent stickiness on the tongue in the aftertaste. Hops without the bad part of being too hoppy. You know, you dodged a bullet. Now I get it.

I've had better IIPAs, but for now let's call it the best gateway Imperial IPA ever.

3.81/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour is a clear copper, nice white frothy head with excellent lacing. The aroma has plenty of resinous hops character, with hints of tropical fruit such as mangos and peaches. No malt backbone detected in the aroma. With the taste, talk about a 360 degree turn with the "no malt" detection. Pretty much all I'm getting with the taste. Hints of resinous hops, but the sweet biscuit like malt is the showcase. Mouthfeel is relatively thin, but the malt profile still is mouth coating. Overall, not a bad beer that's apparently accessible in many parts of the world.

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

No a bad DPIA a little on the fruity side, crisp mouth feel. Slightly bitter finish and a bit boozey at the end. I liked it but the higher abv, 9 %, caught me off guard.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Hazy orange

S- peach, orange, fruity flavors

T- slightly boozy, brown sugar, malty, peaches. We'll balanced beer.

F- stays on the tongue a little

O- well balanced, smooth, crisp, delicious. World class

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Highly carbonated IPA that pours amber with moderate head. Sweet taste with dark fruits, definite brown sugar and rich malts. Piney aftertaste that is well balanced. 9% alcohol? Can't taste it. That's scary.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 11/19/15 so not very fresh (but glad to have it in Europe at all). This definitely an experience and I wouldn't rate it as a dipa because it doesn't have the profil. It's mostly on the dark fruits and the brown sugar from the malts. There is a load of pine and citrus hops. The toffee smell van make you think that's sweet but it's quite dry and balanced. Unique.

3.56/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass. Poured out a copper color with an off white head about two fingers thick that slowly dissolved. Smells primarily of bread from the malts with a hint of pine to it. Flavor follows being primarily malt heavy with a little pine from the hops following. Flavor lingered a little, again mostly the malt. Didn't notice much bitterness from the hops or really much hop flavor as is. Feel is light with no carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer but not one I think I'll pick up again, too heavy on the malt for this style.

IF THERE IS A BETTER IPA - I BEG YOU TO TELL ME WHAT IT IS! if any beer I've tasted deserves a perfect score, it's this one. as perfect as an IPA gets. perfect balance of malt and hops, bitter and sweet. subtle and strong. "it's like a party in your mouth." There are many beers that I enjoy - this one puts most of those to shame. the only issue I can take w/ this beer is that it's a bit heavy so I'm full after 2 or 3 and I like to keep going!

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

I get to be one of those negative reviewers. This beer gets a ton of hype but it really does not live up to it when compared to other IIPAs/DIPAs. First off, it is not balanced. The malts overpower the hops in the smell, foretaste, and midtaste. Only in the aftertaste do I get anything that resembles the sweet stickey pineyness of hops. What does that mean in the grand scheme of things? The color is spectacular but it is just an unbalanced average beer, favoring the malt side of the scale which I do not prefer. After about 30 minutes sipping, smell resembles alcohol. It know it's a 9+ percenter but other DIPAs certainly mask it much better in the aromatics and taste.

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bronzy gold color with an abundant off-white head that leaves decent lacing on the glass. Nose of woodsy, resinous hops, but not too strong, with a definite malty presence as well. Taste: a double IPA that is malt-dominant? Hops emerge from the malt as the taste evolves, but this was not a "hops forward" IPA, even though the hops are obvious and tasty. The flavor is more of a back-and-forth duet between malt and hops, both making delightful contributions. Mouthfeel a little slick, moderatly sudsy as good IPAs often are. A great beer.

Bottled 3/30/2016, per the bottle stamp.

Great aroma and a very strong, yet enjoyable beer. I can't find anything I don't like about it. The bitterness and high ABV are not that prominent. A few of these will really sneak up on you. A slow sipper for sure.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%

I recently picked up a 4 pack at Somerset Liquors. It had been a while since I've had a 90. I'm not sure if the batch I had was super fresh or if DogFish changed something about this beer. Whatever it is, this was more delicious then I remembered. You can't go wrong with this one folks. Outstanding!

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery