90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

#653

Ratings: 15,726 |  Reviews: 3,932

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark, hazy amber ale pours with two fingers of thick, smooth foam that leaves long, sticky legs behind as you drink it down. Juicy, grapefruity hops aromas fill the nose. Rich west-coast hops combined with a sturdy malt backbone, juicy citrus and caramel, all in a velvety smooth, medium-full bodied liquid that hides its higher alcohol content very well. Wonderful! Probably the best IIPA I've ever tasted, and certainly my favorite.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%

This IPA is fucking fantastic. Wow.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

See through dark amber colored look to this brew with a thin white head. Interesting scent of caramel sweetened with a slight fruitiness. Slightly bitter with light caramel blending into a fruity ending. Piney astringency enters the flavor more as it warms and it has a warming alcohol edge to the finish. I’m unsure how much I like this. I’m glad I tried it though. Pretty easy to drink for a 9% beer. I’m sure when this came out it was a great Imperial just too malt leaning and astringent for me for this style these days.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Last bottle of a 4-pack split between my sister and I (a Christmas present from my mom to both of us.) Bottling date is 10/(smudged)/17, so maybe 3 months old at most -- this one has been kept in refrigeration (bought at a grocery store, kept in fridge after) so I know it should be pretty fresh.

This is a really nice looking beer -- foam is a thin layer upon first pouring but then expands and slooowly starts to shrink back away in a fluffy cloud-like uneven way, the color is a nice dark orange, mostly clear (a bit of a haze is visible with the aid of a flashlight, but it's not like witbier/hefeweizen... or orange juice) with loads of tiny bubbles rising up in two curved streams.

Smell is somewhat mild at first, but pleasant. Fruity and piney/almost cedar-like hoppy smells are the most noticeable thing here. There's also a richer caramel-type malt in the background, compared to other IPAs I've had. After a few sips, when the foam has shrunk away just a bit, those piney hops come out in full force, becoming by far the most noticeable smell of the beer. Interestingly, toward the very end of the glass this flips around again and an almost toasted-sourdough-bread sort of thing starts to come through the wall of hop aromas. Always interesting to see a beer with flavors or smells that shift as you drink it, especially when it continues to be pleasant the whole way through.

Taste is different than a lot of other IPAs -- rather than being all hops with little to no malt, the malt seems to almost be the primary flavor, but with piney, slightly fruity, and bitter hops layered over it. The malt is rich just like in the smell, has a bit of a caramel-esque quality to it but not quite -- slightly sweet but balanced out by the bitterness of all the hops so the beer overall never really "feels" sweet. Getting a slightly unpleasant thing here and there that I'm not sure how to describe (maybe a wet fabric/hair sort of deal?), but it's only there for a moment and not on every sip. My glass may be to blame for that one as I don't recall tasting this "off" flavor in the bottle I had before the current four-pack (a much older bottle, almost gave a "lite barleywine" impression more than IPA, but still pretty good), which I drank from a different glass when visiting family a while back. Since I only noticed that thing once or twice each time, and only in this glass, I'm blaming the glass and not letting it affect my score of the beer itself. Burps are nice piney hop flavor all the way. At first I wasn't super impressed but this is really growing on me the more I drink.

Feel is light and crisp at first, then more substantial-feeling. A little odd to transition from one extreme to the other like that, but it works! There's a hop-oily lingering feeling in the mouth for a while after a sip or two, and the bitterness, while never seeming at all harsh or overwhelming, somehow seems to go all the way down the back of your throat as you swallow a sip of the beer rather than only being felt/tasted on the tongue. Seems heavier than a lot of IPAs, which I suppose makes sense considering that it's 9% ABV and this was (if I recall my beer history correctly) one of the "OG" double IPAs back before "double IPA" was even really a defined thing.

So here's a confession -- I glanced at the average score and went into this review (based on my impressions of the previous bottle) thinking that there was no way I'd give this beer a 4.2ish average, maybe a high 3-somethings or an even 4 at best. And then as I actually drank the beer and put my thoughts down and converted them into numbers... I found myself enjoying it more and more from one sip to the next. This is a beer that grows on you, for sure -- if you tried it just once and weren't a fan (or even thought it was "good but not great"), I would recommend you give it another chance. This was definitely a lesson in why my policy of always trying a beer twice before putting your thoughts down in a review is a good idea -- some beers just get better the second, or third, or fourth time you drink them. If you're a fan of hop/malt balance with both ingredients being obvious contributors but neither quite overpowering the other, try a fresh bottle (or four) of this beer.

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a tasty, smooth beer that I go to often because it is easy to find where I live.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty! Amber to copper color with a fine foam on the top. Very nice aroma; almost a caramel smell. Lovely flavor and excellent finish. Very crisp and satisfying. I will get this again. This would be a great IPA on a hot day.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lovely, carbonated amber liquid under a 3-finger head (poured into a “Sophia” glass). Abundant, thready lacing. Kind of an herbal, organic aroma. Pine dominates the taste. Feels smooth in the mouth.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%