90 Minute IPA

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA
Notes: Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Reviews: 4,041 | Ratings: 16,264 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by acmurphy696:
acmurphy696 from Georgia

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

This is an outstanding beer. I don't know what took me so long to getting around to picking up a 4-pack of 90. It smells fantastic but tastes even better. It looks great too. It's refreshing when a beverage lives up to its reputation.

Feb 23, 2017
Jason from Massachusetts

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a freshness date.

Appearance: With the massive amount of hops I expect nothing less than a superb lace and that is what I got. A solid ring after every sip ... amazing. Slightly hazed bronze gold color the haze is most likely from the hops.

Smell: Fresh hop aroma, very oily with herbal and piney notes. Ripe fruity esters and some sweet malt in the back.

Taste: This beer is so juicy, what a hop punch it has. Lots of bitterness and a ton of hop oil flavor from front to back. Very smooth with a thick malty body. Nice cake like maltiness in the middle with a ripe fruit and alcoholic kick in the end, finishes a little sweet with lingering bitter hop tones.

Notes: An exceptional example of an American Double IPA, no worries about getting my hop fix here.

Feb 23, 2004
BuckeyeNation from Iowa

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Brightly polished tangerine-amber with honey colored accents, topped by a thick, creamy head of rich ivory that is tacky enough to stick around, seemingly indefinitely, and to leave an impressive lace legacy when it eventually departs.

Even though the brewery calls it an IPA, there's little doubt that 90 Minute is a DIPA and a good one. The nose is full of bright, brassy citric hops with a sweet caramel maltiness swirled into the mix. Specific fruits include orange, grapefruit and apricot.

This is definitely powerful stuff. Some breweries create DIPAs with a relative emphasis on malt so that there's as much caramel flavor as hoppiness. Others place a relative emphasis on hops in order to produce a tongue-shredding, bitter, explosive hop monster. This beer looks like the latter, but tastes like the former. Trouble is, I prefer the latter.

There's still a lot to like here. The flavor profile is an amalgam of melted caramel, fermented pine sap, concentrated essence of oily citrus peel and alcohol. The alcohol masking--like a few other DFH beers that I've had--is more like those small black 'eye masks' than a full-faced Godzilla mask. That is, it's not that hard to appreciate what's underneath.

Maybe this is an old bottle (although I don't believe that it is) and the hops have softened too much. Running it through Randall the Enamel Animal should fix it right up, but I don't have one handy at the moment. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is still good-very good beer, but it doesn't quite crack my upper tier.

Nov 22, 2004
handcrafty from Texas

This used to be one of my go to beers when I first got into the craft beer scene. Now, I can't find myself finishing a whole glass. The color and smell is nice, but what I really can't get with is the huge malt presence. Not terrible, just not my type of DIPA.

Nov 11, 2014
Todd from California

4.47/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle.

A bit hazy, golden / amber, and topped with a very creamy, enticing looking head. Retention is decent and clingy.

Aroma is full of spicy, floral, herbal, pine-like, pineapple, bready malt and estery characters. Nose is very intricate.

Smooth upfront, big and chewy in the mouthfeel with a creamy palate. Hops are BAM! in your face with prickly, bitter, herbal, pine, citrus rind, salt, slick viscid hop oils, raw leafy hops, earth, resin-like, hints of English cheddar and a touch of soap in a complex and intense medley of characters. Malts are a bit masked by this and take a backseat for most of the drive with some bready flavors and a lot of backseat driving as far as the mouthfeel goes. Alcohol is very present, with a warming feel in the head and fumes in the breath. Light notes of toasted malts / caramel as the beer warms. Dose of yeast in a drying finish.

This beer has really tightened up since its initial release ... of which I was not a fan of.

In the realm of Imperial / Double IPA's, 90 Minute IPA is King ... or at least one of the mighty Kings within its growing empire.

Feb 21, 2004
Jonada from New Jersey

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottled 3/4/2014. Served in a DFH signature glass

Appearance: Pours a bright copper orange color with 1+ finger of a white creamy head. Decent retention and light spotty lacing. Body is relatively clear with medium amounts of visible carbonation.

Smell: Grapefruit like citrus, sweet caramel and toffee, pine, slight earthiness, touch of booziness.

Taste: Big malt sweetness balanced by hop bitterness in the finish. Flavors are more citrus and pine with lots of sweet and toasted bready malt character as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full bodied with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium.

Overall: Really good double IPA from Dogfish. This one is a classic for a reason.

Jul 31, 2014
von_kaiser from Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

the beer that started the journey for me. you really can't go wrong if this is the only thing at your disposal. although i hardly ever drink this anymore due to the absurd amount of goodness around me, my belly will always be open should it decide to venture this way again.

Mar 24, 2016
win007 from Texas

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the 60, 90 and 120. The 60 is an incredibly solid IPA, well made, but not something I would go out of my way for. The 120 is incredibly smooth and deep, and on the verge of being a dessert beer. The 90 strikes and an awesome balance between the two, and is one of my favorite all around beers.

Mar 12, 2019
ER527 from New York

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

A great marzen. Except it's not supposed to be.

Jan 05, 2015
CrashingConcord from Colorado

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Whoa, jeepers. Tasty stuff is afoot, ladies and gentlemen. This comes right on the tail of my admittedly critical review of Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA, and the fact that 90 minute actually saw completion before its younger cousin just might showcase a case of striking oil upon first dig. The smell is a perfect mingling of pungent, almost fruity hops, with an absolutely insane merging of hop characteristics to follow in taste. Earthiness, dankness, bitterness, the whole shebang. It finishes with a really well-rounded, mouth-filling malt backbone that wraps up the whole experience, all isolated to a single sip.

Nerdom complete. This is a good beer. You should drink it.

Jan 25, 2017
RoyalT from Ohio

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance – Nice, beautiful head that rose up nicely, went down slow, and laced the glass. The body is a lovely orange that screams, “IPA.”

Smell – What do we have here? Did I inadvertently find one of the big boys? This beer reeks of piney hops. We have a lot of evergreen trees in Washington State, and this smells like I’ve rolled in the needles for a few hours. I mean, I can’t even explain how strong and sharp this is.

Once you get past that, there are some other, softer, more floral hops and actually some sort of malt in there for balance. But, I think I’m going to nickname this one, “The Pine Tree.”

Taste – Man, is this sharp. This is like IPA concentrate. Add 1 Tablespoon to 12 ounces of water and, “Poof,” you’ve got an IPA. This is extreme hops at their best. The super-strong hop flavors give this one yet another nickname: The Rind & Pine.

Interestingly, the malt balance is very clear. It’s more of a grainy barley malt, but it’s there in force. This is amazing considering the preponderance of this ale to hops.

The taste of this ale will inevitably be compared to The Ruination, so let’s get this out of the way. The Ruination is more refined. It is more balanced. It is more user-friendly. But, the 90 Minute IPA will stand your hair on ends. If the Ruination is the King, this is his crazy brother living in exile tenaciously dedicated to overthrowing the crown.

Mouthfeel – This DFH is medium to full bodied, lightly carbonated, very smooth, and has terrific balance.

Drinkability – This is a real treat. Drink it the way it is or age it for a few months to mellow out the hops.

Update – I first reviewed this a month after joining the site. It has become one of my “regular buys” but thought it would be fun to re-review it with an ’04 vintage. I juggled a few of the scores around a bit but basically I’d write the review the same way. This is one damn good ADIPA.

Sep 30, 2003
jdduffie from Alabama

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Creamy mouthfeel, smooth flavor yet robust boozy initial punch. Malt finds it’s way in the back door to smooth over the rowdy discussion of hops. The finish is warm and hardy, with a long savory aftertaste.

Feb 06, 2019
Milktoast75 from Wisconsin

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Door Co. Brewing snifter from 12 oz btl. The perfect beautiful golden color. Thin white head disappears quickly leaving a ring around beer and glass.
Hoppish scent that was slightly more than a malty nose with a bit of alcohol.
Taste is truly one of a kind. As an imperial ipa you would think was piney or bitter. Not at all. Depending on your taste, great or disappointed. I enjoy the crispness of the hops with this smoothness of the malt. A very clean finish with a tingly carbonation at the end.
For an imperial this has a light mouth feel. Very drinkable with rich easy slight alcohol finish.
A true ipa fan will probably be dissatisfied with this but I found it to be a great, refreshing beer regardless of where it fits in the beer spectrum.
I was treated to this beer on tap in the Summer of 2016. With good friends and conversations, I lost track of the refills ( very generous friends) but I do remember how amazing this beer tasted on tap. Always on my tap radar!

Jan 20, 2019
penguinsgoboom from California

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a thick one and a half finger head that holds very well. Color of ripe tangerine, clear, and carbonated. Lacing is beautiful.

S: Smells bright and hoppy, but a balance of piney, grassy, fruity hops. There's a floral sweetness, some island fruits, pomelo,

T: Wow. When they say that there's a malt backbone, they weren't kidding. Perfect balance between the hops and malt, shining together in perfect harmony. There's a creaminess, richness, caramel, nuttiness, spices, sweetness, and a whole lot of flavors I can't quite pick out.

O: One of the best imperial IPAs I've had. This one knocks it out of the park in so many ways. So drinkable for 9%. This is both complex, yet approachable beer.

Oct 21, 2018
Alieniloquium from Florida

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

On tap at Vine and Barley Palm City. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber body. Medium white head. Thick collar and some nice lacing.

Smell - Mostly sweet caramel malts. Some grapefruits hops.

Taste - Grapefruit hops. Caramel malt. Basically mimics the smell. Monotonous caramel malt that becomes oppressive in its sweetness. Mild bitterness in the back.

Mouthfeel - Heavy and sweet. Mild bitterness. Medium carbonation.

Overall - I remember liking this back in the day, but it's outrageously sweet.

Oct 18, 2014
armystrongmd from Ohio

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on draft at the brewery in Milton, DE.

Appearance: Clear gold/amber, thick off-white head. Medium carbonation.

Smell: Big hop aromas, fresh citrusy/piney, maybe a hint of grapefruit. Also smells a bit sweet.

Taste: The draft is much better than bottle, the bottle comes off as a bit sweet for me by comparison. This is a nice little hop explosion in the mouth without being overwhelming at all. Just a big hop flavor with a sweet malt backbone to keep it even. Supremely drinkable for a DIPA. The 9% ABV is well concealed, I would have probably guessed more like 7.5% if I did not know better.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full body, a bit thick but not when you take into account the ABV.

Overall: Quite possibly the sweet spot for, dare I say it, a session DIPA. Delicious but dangerously drinkable. This is my go-to beer as I can always find it and it's reliably excellent (unlike the 120, which is awesome but scarce and inconsistent year to year). Not as refreshing as the 60 so I typically would have one of these before or after dinner, but not during. Have a draft with a really spicy snack and it is quite amazing.

Jun 09, 2015
OrlandoSkep from Florida

1.5/5  rDev -65.1%

May have tried IPAs too soon, have yet to acquire the taste for them unfortunately :(

Sep 05, 2014
Beglane from Massachusetts

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Well, I used to love it.....and, it's still above average...,, I guess I've moved on. Maybe the malt backbone doesn't impress me anymore, maybe I prefer a more pronounced hoppiness these days. I haven't had the 90 minute in about 10 months, and back then she was the hot babe. Now...,.still good but not as good as I remember. Tastes change, I guess

Feb 10, 2015
Subspook from Pennsylvania

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not really impress with this IPA

Jan 14, 2015
Mugman8 from New York

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big strong hoppy flavor with no piney bite or bitter after-taste....looks great on the pour with a big fluffy head and nice lacing as I sip away....I love this one!

Jan 05, 2019
Benjamin_Stewart from Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Too malty to really be a great IPA, but not a bad beer overall.

Dec 27, 2014
kindbeer from Illinois

1.88/5  rDev -56.3%

I did not care for the malt make up, nor the apricot smell and taste. I prefer a west coast style hoppy citrusy and bitter imperial. I have not been impressed with dogfish head, which isn't to say they're bad, just not for me.

Jan 18, 2015
Axlrose from New York

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

Decent beer, but don't get all the hype. I've had better IPAs for half the price.

Jan 01, 2015
Beers-es from Virginia

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First, let me say that I drank this in the cafe car of the Amtrak Acela from NY to Washington. The fact that you can get a beer of this quality and freshness (just a few weeks old) on the train is a very good sign of the state of beer culture in America. I remember when the best you could get was a skunky Heineken there.

Into a clear plastic cup, the beer is a very nice deep clear copper with a 1-finger light tan head. Smell was a little subdued, but it is more on the earthy ripe fruit side, though some pine was coming through. Some sweet malt too.

Beer tastes great. I like IIPA's like this that have some malt character to balance the hops. The feel is very good--highly drinkable but with excellent body. Neither watery nor oily, which I don't love in IPA's.

Overall this is a super high-quality IIPA that I will gladly drink on the train or anywhere else.

Nov 18, 2015
CTHomer from Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

A: crystal clear; copper colored; 1 finger ivory head that receded to a thin collar; very nice lacing;

S: raisins, a touch of citrus, alcohol;

T: light malt sweetness up front; raisin sweetness with alcohol from mid-palate through the finish; no hop character (this was a freshly tapped keg);

M: sticky; moderate carbonation; dry finish;

O: with no hop profile, this drank more like a barleywine;

Jan 28, 2015