90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

#622

Ratings: 15,632 |  Reviews: 3,914

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Package: 1 pint, 9.6oz. corked and caged brown bottle. Label scored at 04. Picture of a fellow hammering a nail into his nose. Description of continuous hopping process.

Cost: $4.99 per bottle at Bottle King

Served: Snifter at ~45ยบ

Appearance: Poured an almost toffee-colored body with an off-white, voluminous, long-lived head, which was surprising for a relatively high ABV IPA.

Smell: Sweetly, resinously piney in the classic DFH Brewing style. Not overwhelmingly hoppy, with some malt and grain aromas sneaking through. Almost like an extreme version of Rogue’s Brutal Bitter.

Taste: Dogfish does it again. This full-bodied IPA really hits all of the right spots. While assertively hoppy, it also exhibits malty elements, earthiness, and even a faint sweet fruitiness that reminded me of apricot or peach nectar. It is this relative balance that belies the degree of hoppiness. I found it to be more akin to Three Floyds’ Dreadnaught than the Alpha King or Stone’s Ruination.

Mouthfeel: The long-lasting, dense head attested to its nice level of carbonation, relieving the relatively heavy body. Super-smooth, with a buttery, caramelized feel to it, resulting in a very long, sweetish finish. Sweetness lengthens as the beer warms. Warming.

Drinkability: Another shockingly quaffable beer that is relatively high in ABV. Practically verges on being a session beer. I had no problem finishing the bottle at each sitting.

I had bought two bottles of this to start (one to drink, one to age), but after trying one, I bought the others that I could find, knowing I would drink them whenever possible. I thought I might not like it, as I tend to avoid beers that seem to be about the IBU’s, but this one is much more than that. My experience with the 90 Minute made me eager to try the 60 Minute, which I found to be one-dimensional and disappointing. I have not had the opportunity to have the Dreadnaught more than twice or some of the other highly rated ones (Racer X, Alesmith), but so far, this one ranks near the top, with the slightest edge going to Dreadnaught since I prefer draught.

Bottom Line: One of my favorite “extreme” IPA’s.

NB: Limited experience leads me to believe that the corked bottles are superior to the 12oz. bottles, although age may be a factor.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I haven't had this in a while but since we finaly got DFH in Vegas I got to revisit it. The color was a nice medium amber, nice off tan 2 finger head(poured into a St. Bernardus glass). nice lacing and carbonation. The aromas reminded me of what i liked about this one citrusy with some honey, a little bit floral and breadiness.

The flavor is out standing, I feel as though the balance of the malt and hops gives this an edge over many DIPA's. soo many times you get the one sided hop monster(which I also enjoy). A nice sweetness to start slightly malty then you get a nice bang of citrusy hops.

This beer is up on my tops for this style and I wil revisit it many times I am sure. It is definaltly in my top 3 for the style

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

With a deep yet clear golden brown color and a thin head sticking fast to its glass the beer is inviting right off the bat. The beer has a strong roasted aroma with the excellent 'grapefruit' variety hops coming out of the gate. The flavor has the very strong bitter pine anchored by a heavy malt backbone. There is a warming sensation due to the high ABV. Pleasantly bitter overall - not as drinkable in large quantities as the 60 min of course.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery