90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 3,993 | Ratings: 16,130
4.12/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

So I either somehow missed reviewing this, or it got lost in a server crash. Either way this is long overdue. And now cans, yay! Canned 1/29/19
Pours with a giant foamy creamy 2+ finger off-white head, great retention and some lacing, very clear golden-orange slight amber color

Nose good balance of big hops and sweet malts, candy like toasty malts, little grainy-sweet with some cracker and a little white bread crusts, with big hops, earthy spicy and piney, with a background citrus note

Taste again big sweet malts out front, candy notes without being syrupy, toasty grainy and more bread crust like but not quite Maillard just grainy sweet, then hops with medium-high bitterness, spicy flavor with a bit of pine and earthy, touch of citrus and grapefruit zest, candied orange marmalade like, finish attempts to dry but still a bit sticky sweet, some alcohol kicks in on the drying with lingering sweet malts and piney earthy hops, as well as more orange marmalade, but all balanced nicely

Mouth is med to fuller bod, higher fluffy carb, a bit of warming alcohol

Overall quite nice, I think my original review like 10 years ago would have been higher as IPAs especially have changed a lot since then, but this is still a nice IPA, good balance, nice hop and malt characters, well done

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

the golden color is a magnet that draws you in to the classic hop and malt experience most unique! Very evident that those who create this outstanding elixir enjoy their work!

3.29/5  rDev -23%

A very good beer before IPA’s began blowing up in a town near you. Too malty for my taste and the feel is mass produced at this point. Again, this was a very good beer before everyone had a local brewery squeezing fresh IPA’s weekly that were packed with citra and simcoe. Compared to the mass produced it’s good - compared to your local brewery - not fair at this point. I give a ton of credit to dog fish for pushing the limits when no one was doing it. IMO they were the trailblazers to the freshly squeezed beers. Now there is just so much fresh, local beer that it’s tough for them to even compete. I have been to their brewery and they have great suds...but if we’re rating the 90 minute it’s gone from great (8 years ago little competition) to present day average and decent if nothing else is available.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

For the price point (my primary beer stop sells 6 packs for $10), this imperial can’t be beat. Very malty, solid hopping, packs a punch. Not the best imperial IPA on the market definitely but most it is the most widely available and affordable. Always keep it on hand.

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the 60, 90 and 120. The 60 is an incredibly solid IPA, well made, but not something I would go out of my way for. The 120 is incredibly smooth and deep, and on the verge of being a dessert beer. The 90 strikes and an awesome balance between the two, and is one of my favorite all around beers.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a flavorful though slightly boozy Imperial IPA, that is on the malty side. Caramel straw color, & tiny bubbles of Champagne slowly drift up from the bottom of the glass. I've had bottles that were actually slightly hazy, but this one is clear for the most part. Tastes of malt caramel, some floral hop character & alcohol. It has a nice nose & some subtle lacing. Something along the lines of candied apple, perhaps melon. This was a good beer to follow my refreshing Boston Lager, & it could be what rejuvenates me after a long day at work. Cheers friends!

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review. Always wanted to try it so when I found it, I gave it a shot. I thought it smelled good, but kinda faint for what I was expecting. The taste was very prevalent but too strong for my liking. Seemed more piney/earthy tasting than citrusy. Very strong hop feel. Good, but wont be buying any 6-packs any time soon.

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I forgot to make any notes about this beer when I had it, but I do remember it being more on the piney side than citrusy. A good beer, but I'll have to try it again with more attention.

I hope I'm rating the right beer. They had it named double dry hopped ipa on the menu, so I think it's this one because the alcohol content matches up. It's very good. Not overbearing. Has that bitter IPA hop feel but it's not out of control. Malt aftertaste.. good juxtaposition after I tried new realm IPA..

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pale amber color, brilliantly clear Pours a white head, moderately sized, but tightly bubbled and long lasting for a 9% beer.

Thick malty aroma with a creamy sweetness. Hop aroma is there, but somewhat muted. Hints of alcohol in the nose.

Big hit of malt, hops, and alcohol right off the bat. Malt gives way to hop flavor (mostly pine to me) and alcohol as it progresses. Overall a fairly nice balance that shifts slightly hoppy late. A more unified flavor profile than many DIPA examples.

Med-full body and medium carbonation. Has a fairly smooth mouthfeel, and just a bit of alcohol warming on the backend.

A style that generally isn't my cup of tea, but a pleasant and drinkable example from DFH. I think it would be better as an 8% beer with less alcohol in the flavor, but I don't get to make those decisions.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Creamy mouthfeel, smooth flavor yet robust boozy initial punch. Malt finds it’s way in the back door to smooth over the rowdy discussion of hops. The finish is warm and hardy, with a long savory aftertaste.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Door Co. Brewing snifter from 12 oz btl. The perfect beautiful golden color. Thin white head disappears quickly leaving a ring around beer and glass.
Hoppish scent that was slightly more than a malty nose with a bit of alcohol.
Taste is truly one of a kind. As an imperial ipa you would think was piney or bitter. Not at all. Depending on your taste, great or disappointed. I enjoy the crispness of the hops with this smoothness of the malt. A very clean finish with a tingly carbonation at the end.
For an imperial this has a light mouth feel. Very drinkable with rich easy slight alcohol finish.
A true ipa fan will probably be dissatisfied with this but I found it to be a great, refreshing beer regardless of where it fits in the beer spectrum.
I was treated to this beer on tap in the Summer of 2016. With good friends and conversations, I lost track of the refills ( very generous friends) but I do remember how amazing this beer tasted on tap. Always on my tap radar!

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%

i was surprised by how sweet this was at first touch - almost like candy (if my pedantry were up to speed, i might say 'caramel'). one has to wait a bit for the hoppy finish. not my favorite, but i am very, very impressed by the complexity - and enjoyed it nonetheless.

from a bottle - i don't drink beer, ale, or soft drinks from cans.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big strong hoppy flavor with no piney bite or bitter after-taste....looks great on the pour with a big fluffy head and nice lacing as I sip away....I love this one!

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Look- Dark copper, slightly above average head retention and lacing.
Smell- Bready, piney.
Taste- Bready, malty, piney, caramel.
Feel- Medium body, average carbonation.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.75

I purchased this beer in a bottled 6-pack tonight. I was in the mood for a hop-heavy flavorful beer. It poured nicely and had an appealing amber color. However the smell was surprisingly weak, it does not smell hop-heavy at all to me, compared to many beers I’ve had before it honestly barely has a smell. The taste is good but again, surprisingly weak tasting. I was disappointed since I was craving something with a strong flavor so I searched for reviews and was surprised to find it rated so highly on this site. It’s not a bad beer but with all the great options out there it’s certainly not one I would recommend over others.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very clear, copper color with lots of bubbles and a minimal head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is piney with some grapefruit and lots of caramel malt. In fact, the malt aroma overwhelms the hops.

Taste is also very malty with some of the dank hop flavor sneaking through. Very strong malt backbone which is so different from today's IPA's.

Mouthfeel is medium with a decent amount of bitterness. Actually, just about the perfect amount of bitterness.

Overall, I prefer my IPA's to tilt in the favor of more hops, less malt. However, I did rate this beer higher (even though it's not my favorite) because it is exactly what they were going for and they executed it flawlessly.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From notes 8/23/13: Pours a nice deep gold/pale amber producing 2 inches of creamy, chunky, beige head which leaves behind moderate webby lacing as it recedes. Aroma is caramel, faint vanilla swimming pine, citrus, floral and fruity hop notes. Taste is caramel malt sweetness balanced with pine and citrus hops with a hint of apple/pear in the finish. Starts sweet; finishes dry and bitter. A good example of an early American craft Imperial IPA.

3.93/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Comes in a clear copper color with fluffy white head. Perfect retention. Lots of vibrant carbonation. Streaky lacing left behind.
The aroma is grapefruit zest, orange peel, blood orange, pine cone, caramel, mineral water, honeycomb, pine sap, pine needle.
The taste follows the nose pretty closely with lots of pine needle and pine sap, crystal sweetness without cloy. Caramel and biscuit. Some citrus presence through orange zest, grapefruit, and blood orange essence. Zesty and bitter citrus rather than juice, with the pine most forward. Crisp and clean overall. A hint of alcohol warmth. Quite bitter, with lingering citrus bitterness. Dangerously drinkable.
Medium-plus mouthfeel, smooth and and oily and highly carbonated.
Sets the standard for old-school IPA, unremarkable but well-made. A solid beer.

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rich malt, not much citrus, a delicious complex taste. Lovers of great porters are likely to enjoy this as it is less juicy than a great west coast IPA. This to me is an ample and very good Winter IPA. This is leaning towards Russian Rivers all time favorite Pliny the Elder Double IPA in its rich, slightly heavy taste. Excellent.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Widely available (having mine on an Amtrak) and not too expensive. Nothing to complain about whatsoever. Fairly tastey for a 9%-er, expected it to be more boozy flavored.

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 8/1/18, Enjoyed 9/8/18, Original Review 10/29/18

Picked up a sixer and will definitely age some of this. Clearish orange color with a two finger head, smells of piney, fruity, floral hops. The taste is unfamiliar and dark at first, but settles to a sweet and bitter tropical taste. Very floral and hoppy on the aftertaste. A thinner mouthfeel than expected but with moderate carbonation. IPA is not my favorite style, but DFH did a damn good job on this one. Truly a classic brew, highly complex but balanced.

EDIT 3/19/19: After 6 months of sitting on this same batch, it has mellowed in an interesting fashion, the hops are inconsistent, only coming through in certain sips. The stone fruit character is brought out by this, which hides the 9% ABV very well. It's hard to say if after 6 months the quality has gone up or down, so I will leave the rating the same. It's different, but still fantastic. I look forward to trying it after a year.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a thick one and a half finger head that holds very well. Color of ripe tangerine, clear, and carbonated. Lacing is beautiful.

S: Smells bright and hoppy, but a balance of piney, grassy, fruity hops. There's a floral sweetness, some island fruits, pomelo,

T: Wow. When they say that there's a malt backbone, they weren't kidding. Perfect balance between the hops and malt, shining together in perfect harmony. There's a creaminess, richness, caramel, nuttiness, spices, sweetness, and a whole lot of flavors I can't quite pick out.

O: One of the best imperial IPAs I've had. This one knocks it out of the park in so many ways. So drinkable for 9%. This is both complex, yet approachable beer.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This one totally lived up to the hype for me:

Look: Amber. 1/8” retaining head.

Smell: effervescent hops.

Taste: same.

Feel: warm, perfect level of carbonation for the style.

Overall: top 5 IPAs brewed in America

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For my tastes this is Dogfish’s best brew. It appears to be easily obtainable on the east coast and that makes me happy. A lot of the really great beers seem to be in short supply or only at the brewery itself. Yay for Dogfish.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery