90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,854 | Ratings: 15,345
3.99/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours copper with a thinner, white, lasting head.

Smells of fruity esthers and sweet malt. Light alcohol

Taste sweet and fruity with light pine bitterness. Medium body with creamy lighter medium carbonation

This beer was a touch too sweet for be but was a couple months old. Love to try it fresh

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I’ve heard a lot about this IPA and happen to walk by it at the store so I got some. I am glad I tried it.

Look: Semi-clear copper hue with a thin white head.

Aroma: The citrus, fruits, and pine

Taste: The taste is sweet malts, peach and mango, some grapefruit, pine.

Feel: light body, crisp, it’s very juicy. It is easy drinking despite the 90 IBU. Overall it is a great IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dogfish head makes the best ipa for my style..

So smooth/balanced and drinkable without all the super bitter west coast style overdone hops..

This 90 min is one of my favorites and I will be buying it regularly.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 12oz into a wine glass
A: Nice clear copper, not much head
S: Super piney, with some sweetness
T: Very juicy, piney hops. Dogfish being Dogfish, they do not neglect the sweet amber malt which plays very nicely with the hops.
F: Smooth and slippery, pleasantly light carbonation
O: It's a pretty good DIPA, not my favorite though.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I wasn't a fan of their 60-minute offering, but this 90-minute? Damn, This Is The Stuff!

Very rarely I am impressed at how a beer looks, but this was by far the most visually appealing beer I have had in a very, long time, if not ever. A beautiful ocher colored brew with heavenly white head, a staying power that was impressive and a lacing that was more of a sheen than lacing - very impressive. The smell was muted - not so strong with the hops, not so strong with the spices, but good nonetheless. The feel was light yet crisp and somewhat biting - something else that was unique and unlike I have experienced. The taste was way better than their 60-min offering, but compared to other IPAs it ranks up there for the ones I have had. Overall, a very good IPA, maybe not the best I've had, but certainly the best I have had in recent memory.

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. Pours clean copper-orange color, finger white head with great retention and lots of lace. Tropical mango n citrus aroma with floral notes. Toasty malt sweetness up front followed by mango, grapefruit and melon. A good bit of floral piney back end bitterness to balance the malt. Medium soft feel. One of the first IPAs I fell in love with, so good.

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orange color, smells of citrus and grapefruit. A bit sweet for an IPA but excellent hops with a mango flavor. Feel is slick, sticky. Overall a strong IPA.

3.74/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle,into a Cigar City pint glass.No date on the bottle,but it is several months old.

1 finger frothy off white head.Light copper/ orange in color.Extreme clarity,I can almost see my fingerprints through the other side of the glass.Beautiful cascade on the pour,leading to slow carbonation,that retains well.

On the nose I get a nice combination of hops,and malts.Very hard to pinpoint anything specific,but I do get some floral notes on the nose as well.

On the palate I get alot of sweets malts,blended with some piney hops.This beer is more sweet than bitter to me...It is a few months old,so I may need to try a fresh one,to get a fair assessment.

The body is thin,with a medium dry finish.

This was a pretty solid IPA,but nothing special.I may need to find a fresh one,to give a better analysis.But overall a pretty good IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First impression is a malty, creamy feel with a balanced bitterness on the back end. Excellent balance and a smooth hoppiness; definitely not overwhelming or in-your-face hops. DIPA/Imperial compare to others liked. Definitely buy again. 9% ABV.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A testament to Dogfish Head and there ability to brew, the 90 minute is continuation of there grate craft. This Medium to heavy weight beer has a woody yet well grounded and earthy taste that will give you something to enjoy in the moment, yet bring you back with the memories of sipping this excellent beer for hours on end.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Amazing brew. Only had one case. Like most great dipas, I only have once. Too darn good. Nice to have an east coast brew to compete with the west coast boys. Close but not better than Stone's Ruination.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 4/11/14; drank 5/13/14 @ the Palace.

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Semi-opaque bright orange color; champagne bubbles throughout.

HUGE off-white head; frothy, thick lace.

Rich mango nose.

Thin mouthfeel.

Sweet orange citrus & clean, fresh water up front; a hint of coffee emerges as this warms. Delightfully drinkable, with a mild hop bite. Perfect!

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L -- Pours a clear golden orange with a frothy white head. Nice effervescence. Significant lacing.
S -- Lemon, orange, grapefruit, hops, alcohol, pine
T -- Citrusy hops, brown sugar, slightly boozy aftertaste
F -- Smooth and robust. Refreshing. Good balance of hop bitterness and flavor.
O -- A damn good double ipa

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 12 oz bottle (stamped "bottled on 09/19/16").

Appearance: Clear, golden amber with a solid head of white foam and sticky lace.

Smell: Deep, dark caramel with pine needles, savory herbs and light citrus zest.

Taste: Juicy hop notes, resinous pine and citrus balanced by a good malty body and sweet caramel notes. Clean and balanced bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, oily and creamy feel, with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Superbly balance IPA; hops and malt so well integrated.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L (4.75) - Deep rich copper coloration. Almost mahogany. Little bit of lighter white head
S (4.5) - Smells strong of hops. I got more pine than anything else.
T (4.5) - My sixer was old, but still incredibly tasty. This is arguably my favorite style and this is quintessential IIPA. Deep complex caramel malts perfectly balanced by plenty of hops. Hops would be more noticeable in a fresher batch.
F (4.5) - Fairly carbonated, but still easy to drink. Not very thick
O (4.5) - I had been wanting this for a long time and found one out of town that was old. Bought it anyway, and it was still very good. Would really like to try it fresh, but I'm a big fan.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Oh if we only think about the flaws. Why is this beer not pretty? It doesn't smell like honeydew? Who cares? Love it first, love it last. That is my relationship with this beer. If Sierra Nevada Pale Ale introduced me in my teens to good beer, the 90 Minute introduced me to great beer in my 20s. The thing is, when I go back to that well, I remember every time why this beer is not just a classic, but one that withstands the taste of time.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

The beer is a clear gold and a slight orange with little visible carbonation. The head was this but laced the glass. I get very little hops to the nose but I get a nice aroma of sweet malts and mangoes. I get a nice sweet bread flavor with just a kick of hops. The beer has a slight citrus and mango flavor but not overwhelming. The beer coats the mouth and is slightly sticky and drying.

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Overall not a bad beer; biggest thing for me was it started tasting obnoxiously sweet after taking a few sips. Descent taste just for my own personal preference prefer more bitter hoppiness versus sugar taste.

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fiery burnt orange color, tall fluffy head. 20% opaque.
Nose of citrus and grapefruit, a little passion fruit.
Flavors of toffee and caramel, a bit off putting, but follows up with a decent dose of tropical fruits like papaya and mango and passion fruit. A hint of coffee finishes it off.
Feel is mostly wet and carbonated, leaving a slightly slick coating on the palate.
Overall, a far cry from 120 minute, but still a decent beer. Glad I was able to get a pint and not splurge on a 4 pack.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

crystal clear golden orange appearance, dense white head with some nice lacing and great retention - shes a looker!!

on the nose is caramel, toffee, pine, grassy floral notes, bready malts. not what you would expect from a typical IPA but thats what makes it unique, very pleasant aroma. taste follows well, good amount of malt sweetness provides balance for some piney bitterness, a hint of citrus. no date on the bottle but I have to imagine itd be a bit hoppier if it were fresh ... which would make it awesome! the way it is now, great beer but the malt is a bit much for the style.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

A great brew. Mouthfeel was smooth and a bit on the syrupy side. This one leans a bit more on malt than hops. The nose delivers on the tounge; not for the faint of heart. Not my favorite imperial IPA (I prefer a hop-leaning IBU train) but it is a classic.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dubbed as the greatest IPA in America.
Well, not sure about that, but damn its good.
DFH puts out some great brews and is a great down to earth company. Go to the brewery in DE if you get the chance.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The reviews for this fine ale had my hopes a bit high. That said, this is a very fine Imperial Ale. The talk of "best ever" needs to be tempered and those reviewers need to pump their perverbial brakes...thumbs up and very good!!!!

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought this at the Craft Beer Cellar in Portland, Maine, enjoyed at around 6C from the comfort of my kitchen.

L: Golden orange, quite clear, pretty small white head with moderate retention & just a touch of lacing down the glass.
S: Some hops but mild, to me it's balanced with bready & mango aromas
T: It's clearly well balanced with some citrus & bready flavours, but to me the peach/mango sweetness comes through most noticeably. There's just a hint of alcohol & pleasant bitterness at the end, well hidden by the other tastes which come through more predominantly.
F: Smooth & full
Overall: It's clearly a great beer. I tend to like IPAs & DIPAs with more citrus & less peach/mango but I really enjoyed this one & for its 9%abv it was ridiculously drinkable. I would have enjoyed a dozen but alas had just one.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've bought this old friend often throughout the years, and it has never disappointed me. It has 9% alcohol, and I'll drink a single bottle at night only when I need a heavy hit. Otherwise, I'll drink something with less alcohol. The Dogfish Head 60 doesn't match the 90, and the Dogfish Head 120 is over the top. As with most of my beers, I buy mine at Kahns in Indianapolis where they're kept in very cold cooler and have a rapid turnover. As I've said in other reviews, the Imperial IPA hops fall off rapidly, so these beers must be drunk at once. I suspect many bad IPA reviews come from beer that has lain in the refrigerator or on the shelf too long, or not kept cold, or gone bad at tap from an old, seldom used keg. Always buy your beer from the brewery itself, or from a cooler at a liquor store with rapid turnover. Take your chances at the tap, unless it's close to the brewery, and with high turnover, such as 3 Floyds' Zombie Dust (Munster, Indiana) on tap at Wrigley Field, (Chicago).

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery