90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Ratings: 15,612 |  Reviews: 3,910
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

This is the beer that introduced me to a world i never knew (craft beer as a whole) ever since I, for no reason other than curiosity (well maybe it was the Esquire review on the colorful 4-pack), purchased some one day around 4 years ago. Every time I've poured this (it's been many an occasion now) it's been a brief head that settles quickly, with a thin lacing. The first time i tried this I didn't like it I thought. Yet I was still somehow intrigued by it...Long story short, it turned out it was because I had no prior beer experience other than low abv. mass-made swill from my college years. The smell (due to its subtlety) was never what did it for me with this now go-to DIPA. A burnt malty grapefruit sensation upon tasting this. Boozy then smoothed out by a terrific malt backbone. Although a heavy hitter, I could easily have 2 in a row and they both go down ever so smoothly due to the mouthfeel alone. While my taste buds easily prefer several others of this style, this one will always be in regular rotation because it's just unique. There is a caramel aspect to it, syrupy, not as outright hoppy as what I prefer. But in the end it's got it's own complex character I seem to revisit with regularity.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

The appearance is a amber-red body with plentiful carbonation below a sizable white head. Good retention. The smell is strongly fruity with hops. It's a strong beer, lots of hops but it goes down fairly easy. You can tell it's a hard hitter in the alcohol department but it hides the booziness well. Mouthfeel is smooth if a little overwhelming. Certainly lives up to its reputation.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Rich amber with light creamy 1 finger head that disappeared fairly quickly, leaving only minimal lacing. The aroma is sharp and piney - but in the best possible way, implying good things ahead. Alcohol is also evident in the smell. Mouthfeel is oh so smooth, slightly carbonated, with citrus, malt, and hop balance that puts it into the category of excellent imperial ipa's. One if my favorite ipa's with a lingering bitterness that reminds you how good it is.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%