90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Ratings: 15,530 |  Reviews: 3,897

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a nice amber color with a thick white head. The aroma is very complex, some definite citrus hops up front with a strong sweet caramel malt backbone and a touch of smokiness. This glass/keg also had a bit of diacetyl which the server warned me about. I can detect it only because he alerted me to it's presence, I probably would have written the butterscotch off as hops+caramel. The taste is very smooth and complex. The hop forwardedness of the nose is balanced on the palate with the strong malt character and a touch of warming alcohol. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and exactly what I am looking for in a DIPA. Overall this is a really nice beer, a bit maltier than other DIPAs I have had (Pliny, Mycenery) but very nice.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Rogue Dead Guy Ale pint and the brew is a nice amberish orange color with a nice 1+ finger off white head that settles fairly slowly to cover the brew. The lacing is nice and heavy on the pint and is ringed and swirled.

The aroma is bright citrusy hops and amber malts in the background.

The flavor is citrusy hops, both in the nose, the flavoring, and the bittering. For me it's hard to call these citrusy hops bitter though. While they do keep the grain bill from being sweet, there is a brightness to them as opposed to a piney resinous bitter flavor/feel (I'm definately a sucker for the citrusy Cascade/Amarillo/Jade type of hops .... although I have no idea which hops are used here).

The mouthfeel is medium, nicely carbed (tiny bubbles still rising 3/4 of the way through the pint), and no sign of alcohol whatso ever in the mouth or throat.

I think that the style description (which I've judged most brews by) and this beer seem to be far apart i.e although it is robust, I wouldn't call it malty nor alcoholic (aside from the abv.) and to ME the hop profile definately doesn't rip MY tongue out. With that said, i'd fling the style description to the wind because this is a friggin GREAT brew.

Although at this point in my real brew drinking I have yet to try Pliney, nor Hopslam, nor DHCB's 120 Minute IPA (backwoods N.C. abv. laws)

I would have to say that this beer has it all. Looks, Aroma, Taste, Mouthfeel. I'm not sure how much more you could ask for ?? I could kill a 4 pack easily, the problem would come in when I tryed standing up to try an take a wizz. It'd probably be easier just to stay seated and enjoy the great brew and buzz and just piss all over myself with the joy of it all (you know the wife would be kickin my ass ... but that would be OK too after consuming all 4 of these).

My hats off to Dogfish for one hell of a beer. Cheers !!

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Pours with a two finger head.

Appearance is a of a deep golden hue that is quite hazy.

Smell is very strong with hop aroma.

Taste is extremely smooth. Bitterness is there but countered with the heavy malt to make a delicious combination

This beer is my favorite of all to date. The heavy lace along the glass paired with the bitterness of the hops that are perfectly balanced with malt makes this a must have!

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery