90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

#636

Ratings: 15,693 |  Reviews: 3,926
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured a slightly muddled moderate orange color. Had a nice barely off-white foam head, even and sitting well. Lace began wide and even then gracefully fell to thousands of little islands of slowly falling foam. This beer badly wanted to leave stain.

Smelled of honey poured over grapefruit, pine with an occasional antiseptic tinge to it, though these do eventually subside. Calmed into more of a rosy sweetness that came with time; it is the product of tons of two-row malt covered in the fruity tones of high hop content. Some dry cooking herb scents too, and alcohol thinly washes over all of the above.

Taste was of a truly flavorful bitter first and foremost, as its power took a little bit of time for adjustment. Sweet and sour rosy fruitiness sneaked up from underneath in time, though it was a quick flavor. Noticed a grainy textured feeling to the taste of the bitterness, shading toward earthy. But, it was still very juicy beer after many sips. Fully earthy bitterness did finally come through out the long finish.

Pretty thick mouthfeel for the style, a bit slick, almost luxuriant. Definite pine presence when I burped. A beer to slowly behold or you’ll miss its many layers. More complex than its sixty minute little brother, but that does not make it tremendously better just different.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle. The beer is a nice clear light copper color with a fluffy white head that dissolves to a thick ring around the surface. Some spots of lace are left clinging to the side of the glass as it empties. An aroma of strong flowery hoppy esters, citrus notes, toasted malt and yeast floats above the beer. Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is smooth and delicious. The flavor begins hoppy with a strong citrus taste. A caramel malt flavor holds things together before the bitterness returns for the finish. A bitter sweet taste is left behind.

This is a very flavorful tasty beer that a hop head should love. It's not as drinkable as other IPA's and may scare away a "novice" beer drinker.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

Deep orange color, medium head. Aroma is floral and herbal, touch of grapefruit. A big bold malty and hoppy IPA. Very smooth taste. The over malting is balanced by the extreme over hopping. At 9% alcohol and 90 IBU, you would expect this beer to be much harsher and stronger tasting. It is surprising in it mellowness and subtly. Malts have a touch of fruitiness and sweetness to them. Hops are dominant and are floral and slightly spicy. Complex flavors. Thick taste, thick I will be picking hops otta my teeth for a couple of days. Grapefruit flavor intensifies as it warms. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. It took forever, several tools and a corkscrew to get the cork out, but it was worth it. Figured the 90 minutes was how long it took me to open this one.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance is par for the course for a pale ale, but the similarities end there. This is a great beer. Super juicy hops that just wrap themselves around your tastebuds and fill you with pleasure. As you can see I love this stuff. A strong, but oh so smooth beer.

12oz bottle

This beer poured a very clear redish/amber/mahogony body with a very thick white head.

The nose was very inviting. Lemon, grapefruit, lots of citrus, spice, some malt, some other slight fruityness.

The taste was very full bodied and fruity. Lots of citrus, grapefruit. But not an overly grapefruit peel taste like most hoppy beers. This was all grapefruit flavor, with some other fruits, apples and pears mostly. Just some hints at the citrus peel. Very sweet maltyness. Caramel malt with a sugary sweetness. An even, very tight, hop bitterness sat in the background.

The beer ended with a very long, but extremely smooth, hop bitterness.

Overall I found this beer very enjoyable and easy to drink. You can barely tell it's 9% alcohol which makes it rather dangerous. What was really interesting was how subdued the hops were in this beer. For a 90 minute IPA I was expecting to get knocked down by hops, but they were there and just sat nicely with the malts.
Great beer, one I'll deffinatly be reaching for again.

One key side note, I've found this tastes very different depending on the bottle size or on tap.

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%

Had this on tap at My Place restaurant in Newtown, CT.
Pours a golden amber color, with a thick white head. Great head retention lasting all the way through the beer. I was expecting it to be a little darker, but this'll do.
Aroma is a strange understated hoppiness, much less than i expected, with a significant alcohol presence, plenty of malt, with some fruity esters, mainly pear, plum, and fig.
The flavor starts out brutally hoppy, but as your palate adjusts, becomes much maltier and more complex. Hops are interesting, appearing all the way through the sip. They start out sort of citric, then become more herbal when coupled with the alcohol in the finish. A vague pine-like woody feel to the beer, with plenty of alcohol presence. The malts are very much like single malt scotch, with that overwhelming sweetness, and a touch of peat. This beer got extremely sweet by the end of the glass, with the hops only appearing in the very beginning of the sip, and tapering off quickly to a very alcoholic maltiness.
It's a good beer, but definitely something for special occassions. I don't think it has a great drinkability, because it starts off pretty hoppy and ends with an almost single malt sweetness. Overwhelming each way. Could be a wonderful after dinner beer after a great meal.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750 ml, aged about 2 years

Last night I decided to crack my bottle of this. Now normally I wait 'till a relaxing time after the kids are in bed and the chores are all done to crack bottles from the cellar. The problem is, that stuff's all not done until after 10:30 lately so those cellar dwellers never get consumed. So last night I said screw it. My wife took off when I got home for some "ladies night out" type thing so I went to the downstairs fridge for my own "guy night in" type thing. I open the bottle, pour it in my snifter and... this all happens at once now... my 3 year old, who's spinning in circles, cracks her noggin on the corner of the counter top and drops to the floor bleeding, my 4 yr old is in the bathroom screaming for me to wipe her butt, and to top it off, my 6 mo old, who is enjoying the mayhem from the perch of the backpack, decides this would be a great time to puke on my neck. I kid you not. After a bit of damage control (Carly was fine) I get to drink my beer. My impressions-

The smallish head settled quickly to a wisp of bubbles around the edge. The aroma, as expected from an aged version, was a subdued piney hops, honeyish malt and fusel alcohol. The front of the beer is slightly sweet but that doesn't last long. The middle and end blur together as a hop and alcohol assault on the tongue. A saving grace was a drier finish than you would expect. Overall I found it a bit harsh. Even after 2 years in the bottle, I found the fusel alcohol/burning bitterness characteristics a bit overwhelming. I don't expect IIPAs to be the most balanced beers out there, but I expect them to be drinkable. I've had many that were better than this. The first couple of glasses were OK, but it became a bit of a chore after that. I think a cleaner, more balanced 12 oz version would be more appropriate.

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%

12 oz. bottle

A slightly hazy copper colored body is accented by amber highlights. A casual pour results in a half-inch vanilla cream head that slowly fades to a thin layer of foam. Wisps of a sweet floral aroma are evident from a distance. Up close, the strong hoppy aroma has both citrus notes and very strong florals that combine with the malt to bring images of bubble gum to mind. The taste catches me off guard, as the powerful malt sweetness sends my head spinning. I'm becoming a bit of a hop lover, but malt is my first love. The sweet fruity malt gives way to a great floral hop taste the ends with just a touch of a honey note. Biscuity malt notes, orange flavored honey, a touch of pine, ooooh this is gooood! The mouthfeel is very full, but not thick in any way. Drinkability is too good, as I just noticed this was a 9% ABV brew! I was thniking I needed a case of this stuff, but realizing what I paid for one that may not be in the cards. Plus, I'd probably be snookered all the time becuase this stuff is excellent. Sam and the crew at Dogfish Head can really make a mean IPA. Actually, they make at least three. And this one is the best of the lot. If you see it, buy it. This is a true treasure.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Presentation: 1pt 9.6 oz bottle. $6.49 at Carytown Wine & Beer. Non-readable "Packaged In" stamping on the side with one *seriously* ugly dude on the the front. Pulled it from the fridge after about one month.

Appearance: Champagne-type covering over a cork stopper. A little oomph! and the cork came righ out. Rather thin neck of the bottle made for a slow pour, though the head was very thick and rocky. Settled to a thin layer atop the beer. Awesome saturation of the entire glass with lace as I consumed it. The color of the beer was a cloudy dull orange color.

Smell: Distinct pine notes in the aroma. Somewhat of an "earthy" aroma is also evident.

Taste: This is one smooth-tasting brew. Despite the explicit warnings on the label (90 IBU...now available in this handy economy size), it was so very nicely balanced. I really expected a over-hopped flavor, but due to the balancing by "a ridiculous amount of English Two-row Barley", the flavor is excellent. Not as "in your face" as an even more aggressively hopped beer (like Ruination IPA). The flavors are defninitely on the "big" side...no mild flavors to be had here.

Mouthfeel: In reading other reviews, I had expected a more pronounced alcohol flavor. I just didn't notice it. The first glass went down very quickly and I tired to savor the second one. I really noticed an "oily" character near the end of the end of the swallow...lingering on the palate and even coating the lips. Rather high amount of carbonation still yielded a fairly creamy mouthfeel. Very pleasing.

Drinkability: The wife was amazed at how quickly this bottle disappeared ("My God! That's a WINE bottle you just drank!"). A very drinkable beer....dangerously so given that the alcohol content really wasn't that discernable to me.

Overall, just slightly behind Stone's Ruination IPA in my book. Given my love for the hop, others may find this more agreeable due to its excellent balanced flavor. Time to buy another bottle and let it sit for awhile.

7/23/03 -- Review of the 12oz. bottle.

If anything, the taste and drinkability go up a notch. IMHO, better than the larger size. Smoother, a tad sweeter, and *very* easy to drink. I also feel that it is easier on the palate than the 60-minute IPA. An excellent beer.

3.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Big 1 pint 9 oz brown bottle with cork and cage. The label had a guy hammering a nail into his head. Also some descriptions about the hop process. I poued it into two pint glasses and shared a few ounces with a friend.
Glowing burnt orange color, golden tinge almost. An inspiring view and almost magical looking. Big, sticky off-white head. Super charged whole leaf hop aromas. Wow, smacks you right in the nose Hello ! Citrus, and grass dominate the nose, almost like a wood chipper. First taste is super charged hop bitterness as expected. Mouth puckering bitterness matched with a nice citrus charge. High abv seemed to make a presence causing more of a heat and slickness than I wanted from an IPA. I think this detracts from the enjoyment a bit, and drinkability for me. I had it with dinner and maybe it's better suited as a sipping beer, as I know see the website suggests. Certainly an extreme beer, but so far in my experience I would choose the Stone IPA over this one. I think this goes a little too far to be an experience in itself, and crashes your tastebuds into submission.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Boy howdy is this one full of hops. Aroma of centeniall and cascade jumped right out of the glass and made sure you knew what you were getting into. Copper amber in color with lots of off-white head. Aroma and flavor of grassy hops were most dominant but the brew had plenty of malt to make sure the beer did not get out of whack. Suprisingly, the beer did not come across as overly bitter. Very well made.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

I didnt know quite what to expect after reading the label and the amount of hops and malt it warns me about.I find this to be a lot smoother and easier going down then the 60 MINUTE IPA.

Pours a gorgeous orange coppery color with a slight head.Great hop aroma but not as overpowering as I thought it would be.Wonderful smooth hop bitterness that is balanced with a sweetness of malt,and again I have to add smooth.Very full but pleasant mouthfeel.If this thing is 9%abv you got me fooled!!! I tend to like my beers a bit "bigger"overall and this is right up my alley.

I find it a tad pricey for a mere 4 pack-the 60 MINUTE is my latest favorite this could easily overtake that.A great beer overall-will not be my last sample thats for sure.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz bottle. Great looking clear light golden brew with a healthy white head. Decent visible carbonation. Aroma is full of citrus notes and pine sap, no doubt the hops are in there. This has a unique hop profile you'll find in no other beer. Citrousy (almost like over-ripe fruit) hop taste that is balanced fairly well with a slightly sweet maltiness. This beer definitely makes your tongue pucker, much like grapefruit juice

I edited this from 2003, when I apparently thought this had too great an alcohol taste going on. Not so much these days - one of best, most flavorful beers out there.

3.52/5  rDev -17.6%

Heard very good things about this IPA...

When I ordered it I just said Dogfishead to my server (they only have one tap at my pub) and when it came back I was confused because I was exspecting another beer (they had changed the tap).

At first I thought I had been given a Sierra Nevada by mistake, but then realized that the beer I was drinking was much harsher with not as crisp a finish as the Sierra. It was not till later that I realized this was likely due to the extra ABV.

This on had a decent head. Taste is basically totally derived from the hops and alcohol. This was the first IPA in a long while to make me slightly wince as I took it down. The wincing stop as I got more of this brew into me but I can't help but think that this one is not balanced completely correctly. Not bad, but I wouldn't seek it out.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Color is a solid cloud of orangy amber with a big fluffy ivory colored head that grew to be just over two fingers high of impressive strength, but was fast to crumble and pop down to a hazy mist over the top. Leaves incredible stringy lace in drippy rings. Smell is all peachy, a bit citrusy and a piney/woodish backing, somewhat earthy, soft but nice and rich of hops galore. Taste is wildly smooth and soothing of peachy/citrus hops, one hell of a nice bittering effect thats very calm and easy. Some light earthy tones dotted in the mix with a blend of well balanced malts, gotta keep those hops in check, I suppose. Feel is full and quite bittering in a mild sense, in which it doesn't linger to much to be over the top in any way. This is quite excellent stuff, I don't care that its 9%, which is masked beautifully by the way, its way to damn easy to drink, which makes for a short evening.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Package: 1 pint, 9.6oz. corked and caged brown bottle. Label scored at 04. Picture of a fellow hammering a nail into his nose. Description of continuous hopping process.

Cost: $4.99 per bottle at Bottle King

Served: Snifter at ~45º

Appearance: Poured an almost toffee-colored body with an off-white, voluminous, long-lived head, which was surprising for a relatively high ABV IPA.

Smell: Sweetly, resinously piney in the classic DFH Brewing style. Not overwhelmingly hoppy, with some malt and grain aromas sneaking through. Almost like an extreme version of Rogue’s Brutal Bitter.

Taste: Dogfish does it again. This full-bodied IPA really hits all of the right spots. While assertively hoppy, it also exhibits malty elements, earthiness, and even a faint sweet fruitiness that reminded me of apricot or peach nectar. It is this relative balance that belies the degree of hoppiness. I found it to be more akin to Three Floyds’ Dreadnaught than the Alpha King or Stone’s Ruination.

Mouthfeel: The long-lasting, dense head attested to its nice level of carbonation, relieving the relatively heavy body. Super-smooth, with a buttery, caramelized feel to it, resulting in a very long, sweetish finish. Sweetness lengthens as the beer warms. Warming.

Drinkability: Another shockingly quaffable beer that is relatively high in ABV. Practically verges on being a session beer. I had no problem finishing the bottle at each sitting.

I had bought two bottles of this to start (one to drink, one to age), but after trying one, I bought the others that I could find, knowing I would drink them whenever possible. I thought I might not like it, as I tend to avoid beers that seem to be about the IBU’s, but this one is much more than that. My experience with the 90 Minute made me eager to try the 60 Minute, which I found to be one-dimensional and disappointing. I have not had the opportunity to have the Dreadnaught more than twice or some of the other highly rated ones (Racer X, Alesmith), but so far, this one ranks near the top, with the slightest edge going to Dreadnaught since I prefer draught.

Bottom Line: One of my favorite “extreme” IPA’s.

NB: Limited experience leads me to believe that the corked bottles are superior to the 12oz. bottles, although age may be a factor.

3.66/5  rDev -14.3%

Originally sampled on 12 November 2002. This beer poured with no head. It has an amber color w/ Lots of citrus/pine hops up front on the palate. It finishes cleanly. A hop monster to be sure, but in my opinion, there are better Über-IPA's out there.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

In my opinion, quite over-rated. The label describes the beer quite well though. It pours with a dark copper color with little head. It's big on hops and big on alcohol. The high alcohol is very distracting in this beer. I am a hop-head, but this just wasn't as drinkable as some other IPA's.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

90 min IPA is a rich coppery color thats a little cloudy. strong head that stays strong till the bottom, nice lacing too. the smell is piney and a little citrusy with a lighter fruity sweetness and malt character. The taste is nice and strong, with a lots of oily pine and citrus hop bite, but also heavily balanced with malt sweetness, with some of that light fruitiness, like peaches or something. a good amount of alcohol is easily detectable, delicious. a little honey flavor to the aftertaste, along with the hop bitterness that lingers. nice almost silky body, goes down real easy, but maybe slightly thicker than i'd like
a very good IPA thats is very balanced and flavorful. whenever i pick up a four pack i's always better than i remember.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Love the Champagne-style bottle for the 25.9 oz. Me and the missus split it and she thought it was excellent. Nice blend of English barley and American-hops, especially the prominence of the Cascades for that grapefruity zing balanced by the sweet malt. I consider this more of an APA rather than an IPA, the body being slender compared to Victory HopDevil, but I am putting this on my "Just Good Beer to Drink Regardless of Style" list, which includes HopDevil and Great Lakes Dortmunder. Also, thanks to the reviewer of World of Beverages in Norwalk, as I took a ride over and found this winner, along with Allagash Summer White. I'll be driving over tomorrow to get some more. FYI - I did not find the 9% ABV an issue - didn't even know it was that high until I read the bottle later. A good save for DH because I tried the Shelter Pale which was a major disappointment.Wish I had read the review on that first instead of basing it on the good reviews of the IPAs. Prost!

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

25 oz bottle, date 10/02. I don't know if this beer has mellowed in the past 7 months, but I found it pretty mild considering the hype. I have also tried 60 Min and 120 Min (both very fresh) and thought they were much more intense. This sample actually seems like your run of the mill IPA. Not too hoppy, not too alcoholic. Maybe that is the trick; maybe after a few more sips I will be schnockered, with my tongue stripped to ribbons by the hops, and the only recourse left is to hammer nails into my skull. Dark gold, bordering on amber with huge white head that lasts and laces. Aroma was the most surprising part; it was remarkably subtle and much less hoppy than other reviewers have indicated. Perhaps that is a result of the small amount of aging it has received. Trademark DH sweet malts that actually seem very un-beer-like; closer to Dr Pepper or gingerbread or something. Hops are there, for sure: tangy, bitter, not particularly dry and not especially huge. A tasty brew, for sure, but maybe the DH hype has gotten a little too carried away with this one. They make several beers far superior to this.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I had this one in a 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. This beer pours a dark copper color, darker and less hazey than the 60 minute IPA. There is about 1 finger of head that dies down to a small line quickly, but leaves a little lace on the glass. The smell is a mixture of hops and citrus. The taste has just a little bit more of a hoppy tang than the 60 min. A hint of orange is in there somewhere underneath all the hops. The mouthfeel is very strong, yet smooth. The drinkability might be a little low, but this is still my favorite IPA to date.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

My first Dogfish head, after reading about it here at BA.This is the 1 pint, 9.6 ounce champagne bottle with the man driving a spike into his nose.

It pours a cloudy amber/brown with a foamy slightly off white head. Aromas are pleasing, floral and citrus. Some alcohol presence. Mouthful is satisfying. Taste is hoppy at first, followed by a very nice sweet malt presence. Finish is back to lasting bitter hops with an alcohol warmth. The malt seems to present itself more as it warms.

What an excellent IPA. There is also a good malt presence that is well balanced with the hops. I'm going to stop analyzing and enjoy this one now.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Especially with its picture of a guy hammering a nail into his own face, I was encouraged to let this bottle lay low for six months before opening it last night.

The appearance, quite striking, is cloudy orange, with a full, creamy head. The powerful nose on this one is almost overwhelming at first, but shows its many sides as the beer warms. Initially it is like I'm snorting a handful of hops, but eventually a distinctivey orange-juice aroma begins to dominate -- very nice. It is followed toward the end of the beer by a piney, almost 'pine-sol'-like smell. The flavor is marked primarily by leafy hops, with notes of bitter grapefruit and green tea. Sugary malts are presented mid-palate, in the effort to balance out the sharp hop flavor, and they fade back into the bitterness of the finish. Mouthfeel is sticky, and traces of the 9% abv are somewhat noticeable.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Slow but steadily rising head, almost perfect cloudy amber coloration. It's sweet and fizzy entering the mouth, but the hops come through as it passes the palate. The mouthfeel is very much the same as Dogfish Head's others--thick and sugary.

Seeing the man hammering a nail into his nose on the label gave me the impression this beer was nothing short of demonic. I won't say it's tame or anything but it's pretty much exactly how I'd imagine a Dogfish Head IPA. The alcohol content is definitely not the tough guy it thinks it is.

This is a good beer. It's not a $6/750ml, old man hammering a nail into his nose beer, but it's a good one nonetheless.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery