90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Ratings: 15,783 |  Reviews: 3,941
4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Nebulous light orange-brown with a large, active head. Wonderful bouquet -- hoppy, not overpowering. Lots of malt, blast of hops, smooth and full body with high carbonation, spicey and sharp. Sharply assertive bitter aftertaste. Healthy dose of alcohol, just enough to warm, well-masked by the generous amount of grains. This is what IPAs are supposed to be. Enjoyed it with Indian food, complements it perfectly.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%

The pour was a beautiful golden-copper with a quarter inch head that dissapated to a light lace on top of the beer which stuck to the glass throughout the drink. The smell was very spicy with a slight malty undertone that said nothing but average I.P.A. But the smell was the only thing average about this beer. The drink started with a very strong hop kick followed with no let up in the middle, and a very strong hop finish.

I know all these strong hops sound like too much but they were not at all. This beer displayed so much character, more than any I had ever experienced. The strong hops followed by the hot alcohol undertones just played into what I can only call the almost perfect I.P.A.

This is a must not only for the I.P.A. lover, but also any beer lover. It's not only refreshing, but it packs alot of character with it's refreshing qualties. This beer is great as a stand alone or with food.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

What a beer! This one definitely brings out the hop head in me.

Pours a beautiful, clear, deep golden color. There's a light, white head that doesn't last terribly long, but lingers as traces of lace down the side of the glass.

I'm surprised at the clarity of this beer. It's crystal clear, with no haze I associate with very strongly hopped beers. I'd suspect fine-filtering, but it could be simply cold-aging in the bottle.

The initial aroma is a blast of hops. It immediately made me think of sticking my nose in a bag of hops. There's nothing subtle about it, and I love that smell. First taste is a satisfyingly, palate-destroyingly bitter assault, followed by a strong malt sweetness that wars with the bitterness, finally losing to it.

The malt character comes through a bit more strongly as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is slick without quite making it to syrupy. The potent amount of alcohol in this brew is very effectively masked by the hops. But then, everything is well masked by the hops.

I really love this beer. Good job Dogfish Head! My biggest complaint is the $10 hit I took for the four-pack...

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

on tap at the Blind Tiger NYC, filtered through the "Randal" hop contraption. Stunning nose of HOPS glorious HOPS. Poured dark almond with a regal puffy head. Taste is fresh HOPS in all there manisfestations. Bitter, floral, grainy, piney, citrus, grapefruit, resin, etc. This beer is like having a private dry hop in each glass. Hop lovers rejoice. If you love hops go to the Blind tiger or to the DFH brewery to sample some of this stuff

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz bottle poured a deep golden orange color, no head to speak of and left lacing rings around the glass.

Holy hoppity hop hops!! If you love the taste/smell of hops this is your nirvana my friend. This ones easy...Smell: Strong hops
Taste: Strong hops. Its a beautiful beer and another great product from Dogfish Head. Dangerously drinkable, beware of the 9% abv.

Did I mention the hops?

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I got my hops fix from this one. Being a lover of hops bitterness, DFH is to be commended for this beer. It is, of course, more intense than the 60 minute, which is the other DFH hop beers that I've tried. This one poured a deep gold with a substantial head and tremendous, long lasting lasting lacing all the way down the pint. The aroma is overwhelmingly one of hops to the point that it is all that I can smell. The taste is mahvelous, as Billy Crystal would say. A real hops treat, bitter as it should be but with a hint of sweetness at the end. This is a substantial beer with an hop oil feeling to it in the mouth. It goes down really smooth. The last taste is as good as the first. I found my mouth getting a little puckered so I'm not sure I would want to polish off the four pack in one evening of drinking. The second goes down just fine.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Very nice looking beer with a fluffy off-white head that goes nicely with the dark amber color. Wonderful lace as well. When it comes to the smell of this beer only one word is needed, 'hops", or if you prefer three "lots of hops." I was very surprised with the taste, after taking a sniff of the beer I expected to be completely overwhelmed by hops. There was plenty of hops to tickly the taste buds but this was nicely complimented by warming alcohol and roasted slightly smoky malt for balance, also a touch of sweetness sort of a raisin taste. Wonderful body and mouthfeel the carbonation awakens the mouth and entices you to drink more.

Really a very fine beer that if I had the self control I would like to age for a while and then sample. I enjoyed this beer more and more with each taste, which of course made it all the more painful to finish.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Recently added to the taps at my local spot. I've never had the pleasure until now. Sure am glad I did.
90 minute is a deep red brown, much darker than other IPAs. It has a fluffy but tight white head and small, but persistent carbonation. Wonderful smell. Rich hop and sweet bready malt come across. Fruity alcohol is apparent in the nose. The taste is incredible. The beer is so smooth, complex with slick hop oils and sweet sticky fruit. Not as grapefruit-like as some other Imperial IPAs. One burp will let you know that the hops are in charge, but they don't offend when the beer is being drank. They're hidden in there, nice and happy, not raw but mixed up in the malt. Mmmm. Slick and slippery, this one goes down without asking. I keep thinking about brandy, without the aftertaste. Rich and delicious all over. The alcohol is there, and really contributes to the flavor, but in a very good way. A pitcher of 9% hit me pretty hard. Still, the beer is a triumph. Do what you can to get some, on tap if possible.

750 mL bottle - It is a dark gold color with a huge soft head that lasts forever. The aroma has a lot of hops (citrus and floral notes). The body has a nice maltiness in it before the hops take control of your mouth. The finish is extremely bitter and dry almost bordering on astringent, but not in a bad way. It is well balanced for the style. Not a session beer, but I could see this as a good apertif.

12 oz bottle - Many months after first tasting this beer in the 750 format, I have tried it in the 12 oz bottle. I pretty much have the same impression of it. At least the numbers seem to match. It pours a cloudy orange with a thin white head. I remember the large bottles head was much nicer. The aroma is still predominantly hops (citrus, mint, herbal) with some sweet maltiness. The taste has some orange notes, it is slight yeasty and then finishes with herbal, minty, earthy hops. The body is coating, almost syruppy. It is real bitter, yet well balanced. It has a dry finish with some alcohol creeping in.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To enjoy drinking I.P.A.s and to not have the Dogfish 90 minute is a crime! I had not experienced this ale up to this point due to not being the hugest IPA fan, but this ale changed my feelings on them COMPLETELY!

I poured the bottle at room temperature into a snifter, and noticed that it was copper in color or even orange. After pouring, the edge layer of head stuck around and klung to the glass nicely. Upon smelling, I got some very floral odors, w/ scents of pine and a tingle of alcohol on the nose. After tasting the first sip, my face lit up with a smile due to tasting the very hoppy tones, which dissipated nicely throughout the sip, but then came the sugar I tasted at the rear-end of the sip. This sugar really came through and got me interested in how they got it to taste like cotton candy or rock candy, with hints of green grapes in there! This sealed the deal for me with this one! It was medium bodied, with good flavor, mouthfeel, etc. I honestly wish I had a 2nd bottle to crack right now! I definitely recommend. If intersted in doing some trading, I would be happy to get my hands on this ale for anyone for some interesting stuff from other parts of our glorious country!

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Different enough to stand out. The appearance is clearer and more amber than a lot of other IPA's. Real fruity and hoppy, for sure, but of a different type (apricot?). Gets better as it goes, and ultimately is quite satisfying. Not overly bitter, but quite an "in your face" beer. Dogfish head is 2 for 2 with me, and I can get in Florida (hey ho!).

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a thick cloudy imposing dark orange color. Sticky sappy head that leaves lacing all over the place. Smell is intense pine sap and biting hops. Very aromatic and inviting. Sweet hoppy flavors dominate, but there is enough malt in here to provide balance and sweetness. The mouthfeel is smooth as capilene. This is a pretty damn good beer.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Pours amber, nice full head.

Very strong hops aroma, surprise, surprise. Lots of pine and citrus here, definite hops blast coming.

Wow, very hoppy. Lots of citrus and pine flavors, almost oily feel, very full bodied. Alcohol is very warming and noticable but pleasant. Dry and bitter finish.

Delicious IIPA, one of my favorites, a delight for anyone who loves the piney, citrus hops.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

What an excellent IPA.

First off, I love IPA's. There is something about the hops, that when you become a seasoned beer drinker, they beckon to you.

This one pours out to an bright amber in the glass. The aroma is that of grapefruit, papaya, passion fruit and every tropical fruit know to man.

The taste is superb. The hops are wonderful and enriching, but aren't too strong (again, this coming from an IPA guy). The malt provides a superior balance that rounds out the hop bitterness making for a wonderful finish.

This is an excellent beer that hides its ABV well.

Imperial IPA?

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%

3/14/04 I enjoyed this brew on tap an Anam Cara. It was served with an immense head. The aroma was quite floral and the foam a delightful mix of sweet and spice. Despite all of the hype, I was blown away by the incredibly balanced and yet incredibly hoppy brew. It was sweet, tangy, fruity, and rich all at once. This beer is smooth, and drinkable. I'd certainly have another. I also ordered the duck quesadilla that was a suggested food pairing. Wow. They were a perfect combination.

7/25/04 -I sampled Randalized 90 minute at the HopHead ThrowDown. While the extra hopping certainly gave the beer an unusually intense mouthfeel - it went straight for my teeth, I wasn't impressed with its overall impact on the flavor. The malt notes seemed to lose definition and complexity.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear amber with a white 1-finger head and nice billowy lace all over the place.
Aroma is unbelieveably bitter, almost metallic with a very herbal and resiny hop hit. Feel the dry hop in this one.
Flavors includeht of grapefruit, fish oil (yes fish oil) and wonderful pale malt hit.
Mouthfeel is slightly sweet front and then a beautiful crescendo of complex hop notes that ranged from some citrus to oily and herbal.
Drinkability is great ! Bet you can't have just one.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

The beer pours a light copper color with a decent head and plenty of draping lace. The smell is on the sweet side, but still has the characteristics expected from an IPA. Huge amount of piny bitter hops is present, with some heavy grapefruits, masking out all malt and yeast smells. The taste is sweet citrus, grapefruit mostly again, with the hops bitterness pushing in immediately afterwards. It has a bit of an earthy mossy taste too. This beer is pushing on being too sweet. The mouthfeel is a tiny bit thick with tons of sharp carbonation which along with the sharp bite of the hops, necessitates the slow drinking of this beer. The 9 cents of alcohol in here are quite evident, so watch out... drink too many of these too quickly, and you might find yourself in a bit of a pickle. This is certainly a testament to the beer making process though, with the 90 minutes of continual hopping advertised plentifully. You can definately see a mix of DFH's 60 and 120 here.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer pours a cloudy orange/gold color with a 1/4" off-white head. The aroma is great! It has a really intense bitter/citrousy scent that is pleasant to the nose. The taste is great also. It boasts of mostly pale malts, but the hops are where it's at. There are plenty of them here which fill the beer with a wonderful bitter hop taste. The mouthfeel is perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is the best IPA I've ever had. It has good malt and hop flavor that balances nicely. A great imperial IPA!!

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

4-pack, 12oz bottles. 9%ABV!

Apperance: Thick foamy off-white head. Rocky on top. Clear golden applecider in color. Slight lace covering the glass. very petite in shape and form, sticks well.

Nose: Smells like tea at first. Fruit, softer fruits like berries and bananas. Great nose, maybe the best part about the beer; second to ABV.

Taste: Quite hoppy. A little syrupy in the mouth. Bitter at first, but then it calms down and laces your mouth. This brew was a little hott on the tounge at the end.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

At last got my hands on a 4 pack yesterday. Expensive stuff but well worth it. Poured out a dark yellow-orange with quite a bit of carbonation in this brew. Hops hit the nose first with some pine and malts in there as well. Taste was so nicely balanced. Lots of hops at first then mixes with some malts and some fruits mixed in but not that much. Also some oily texture to it with some of that pine taste in there as well. Quite a beer. Lots of lacing was left behind on the glass. The texture and carbonation is so smooth and tasty. I love this stuff.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light peach. The head is well developed and thick and leaves a nice coat of lace around my la chouffe tulip.

Nose is spicy. Pine, oily hops and flowers all around in the nose. Not bad.

Many juicy hop tones. The malt is very subdued, providing some body and a backbone but not much flavor. The hops bring tons of grapefruit accompanied by orange and lemon. The alcohol is warming but doesn't produce any flavor at all. Very bitter and quite dry but still very smooth. Delicious DIPA.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. Bottle (bottled in January 04)
Managed to finally find this on in FL. Been looking forward to trying it for some time.
Pours a crystal clear gold/amber with little head, I am kind of disappointed at the lack of head actually. I was expecting more.
Smells faintly of hops, alcohol and citrus the smell is also kind of dissapointing.
Wow, this is one great tasting IIPA. With the lack of smell (which could also be my fault, I've been fighting a cold lately thought it was gone though), and head, I wasn't expecting the unbelievable flavor to come out of this. Lots of hops, smooth for an IIPA, and very little alcohol flavor.
This is one of the smoothest IPAs I've ever had, the 60 minute isn't even as mellow as this as far as alcohol characteristic is concerned, the hops balance this ale so nicely it's wonderful.
At 9% abv, it's probably not the best of ideas to drink this one all night, but I really could.
Overall, this was well worth the wait to try.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I yearn for the big bottle version agian. This one reviewed from the 12 oz, packaged 12/03. Pours a hazily clouded golden color with lots of orange highlights. Beige head that dies leaving good lacing around the pint glass. Piney, grapefruity, sprucy and floral hop aromas with a touch of honey-like malt sweetness. In a strange sense, this is a really balanced Imperial IPA. When I say that, I mean that it is obviously aggressively hopped, but only retaining small amounts of the "sweetened iced tea" malt profile that shows up in a lot of domestic microbrewed pale and IPAs. That is a residual effect of the lupulin and humulin compounds in hops. This beer has minimal qualilties like that because I feel premium hops were used, as well as a well-thought-out grain bill. That's just my take on it. Anyhow, enjoy. it's a really good Imperial IPA, just wish I'd stashed some of the big bottles I'd had of it...

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Hazy peach-fuzz orange, bright, off-white head, still as night, stringy sheets of lacing noticeable. Hops on the nose, the smell equivalent of a nightly plastering of Vicks vapor-rub, a definitive sinus cleanser! Up front, juicy and oily, and oh so tasty. Fresh hop oil, combined with pine, citrus broken down into grapefruit and orange peel. On to the hops; a blast of hops on the tongue, the palate and even felt in the throat, the hop burn is happening here! Malty sweetness, some earthy tones, even some hazelnut tastes buried in the body of this monster. Alcohol presence noted and felt by the third/fourth sip. Take note of the sip portion; another kicked-up-hop monster from the DH crew, another incredible brew, another winner - get some!

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Wow! First off is the cap after that it’s the pour of the copper colored liquid gold. The head holds nicely and clings to the glass sides all the way to the bottom, which comes much to quickly. The hop nose is incredible only matched by the hop flavor. The bitterness is VERY well balance against the malt. This is a superb brew. I anticipate purchasing the 120min since this is such a great beer and the 60-minute is a solid beer without the hoppieness (nose & flavor) of the 90.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery