90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

firstprev| 15926-15950 | 15951-15975 | 15976-16000  | next → last
Ratings: 15,982 |  Reviews: 3,975
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours with a thick, big head. Orange-amber colored with rich well-balanced taste combining strong hop flavors, alcohol burn, and thick maltiness. Leaves a pleasant oily bitter aftertaste with slight syrupy malt sweetness. I really like this one despite the relatively high alcohol content because the alcohol tastes are integrated with the hop and malt flavors, especially as the beer warms. Comparable to Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale but with more alcohol in the mix.

I think they named it 90 Minute IPA because that's how long it takes to get the cork out of the bottle!

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Not quite the monster hop bitterness I anticipated. Although the brewers at Dogfish Head succeeded in making this beer hoppy and spicy, they did not make that bitter. I've homebrewed beers with more bitterness than this, but I have to credit to the brewers for producing such a highly hopped product. I think this beer could be a little stronger, closer to the strength of a barleywine, which would make it a good choice for laying down in a cellar. Still a pretty outrageous brew!

2.63/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Just tried this in 12oz form. Not sure if it comes across differently in this format, but my experience certainly was.
Taste was over-ridden with peach schnapps and poorly mixed gin and tonics. Big sweet and quinine alcohol flavors atop a pleasant but destroyed toasted English muffin maltiness. Loads of buttery, and butterscotch diacetyl as well. Paint thinner esters.
Heavy and cloying and alcohol-bitter to the point of undrinkability. Ended up dumping this one. Tried it again the next day and did the same.
I am gonna try giving this some time, and I hope for results that mirror my impressions of the 750 (as stated below).
---
Hops are certainly there in abundance...but, strangely, not as heavily as I expected (per the other reviews). Grassy and tight, with ganja backings, the hops are evident, but not explosive. The malt provides a solid foundation for the hops and the heavy alcohol presence. It's extremely well balanced for a brew of this strength...if perhaps a bit over-sweet. But in the end....it was just a strong IPA...Dogfish couldn't even work magic with this one. Don't get me wrong, it is quite a nice beer (and I am not ripping on IPA's), but this one does not differ that much from alot of others....and difference is something Dogfish seems to pride themselves on, so it seems all the more "normal".

It ends up being a good, strong IPA, but nothing to shout about. (rating 3.9)

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

I have to agree with the other reviewers. This was not insanely hopped like I thought it would be. It was very hoppy but had some nice malt balance to it. Gets a bit of an alcohol taste as the beer starts to warm. Overall a good beer. Beautiful appearance. Perfect copper, slightly hazy with a nice sticky head. I am going to lay some of these down. I can't wait to see what they are like in a year or two.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this one on tap. And balanced it is. Very smooth and drinkable for a brew of 9.0% abv. though I would have enjoyed a more assertive hop profile. Maybe the keg version is a bit more mellow than the bottled. Nevertheless, a very good brew. A few 20oz. pints of this WILL rock you!

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I expected to be blasted with hops, but this beer was surprisingly balanced. Don't get me wrong, the hops are insane, but they were balanced quite nicely by a fruity, almost apricot taste. And at 1 pint, 9 oz, and 9% abv, one bottle is enough to put you in your happy place.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Had to try it. The first sip is nothing but hops. After the palette adjusts and the beer warms, tasty malt, fruity esters and a touch of diacetyl become part of the flavor profile. They must've used a British yeast. The hop character is definitely American, but those esters make for a bastard of an IPA. Lots of alcoholic warmth in the finish. A tad hazy with a thick creamy head. This is a complex beer that must be sipped or your ass will be kicked. I'm drinking this by myself since everyone else here loves wine. I guess my ass will be kicked. I'll place this a notch below Stone's 5th Anniversary IPA.

firstprev| 15926-15950 | 15951-15975 | 15976-16000  | next → last