90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,828 | Ratings: 15,217
4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a slightly cloudy amber color into a globe glass, with a small white head. The aroma is sweet and of citrus and hops. The taste is very malty with hints of apricot, and surprisingly sweet for an I.P.A. It could be just a bit more balanced, though hops dominate in the finish. This is a big beer, with a heavy, syrupy mouth feel and low carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

On-tap served in a chalice-like glass.

Appearance was an orange-amber, seemed maybe a bit cloudy, and served without much head, but did keep a small remnant. The aroma was of citrus, grapefruit, and a sweet/syrupy smell. This aroma, however, was fairly weak. The taste was a nice, blended caramel, malt, syrup sweetness mixed with a fruity, citrus hop flavor. Very seamless mingling of flavors with a slightly dry, hop finish. Certainly not a bitter, hops-in-your-face IPA. The mouthfeel was medium-thick and slightly syrupy. Smooth. Overall very drinkable for 9% ABV and a nice hop-flavored but not harshly bitter beer.

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

If this brew and the raison d’etre I tried a few weeks ago are telling, then Dogfish Head might have a knack for emphasizing the sweet malts of their beverages.

The 90 minutes poured a shade darker than light amber with some nice reds and deep oranges, and very little head. Smelled quite delicious in that IPA way with sweet fragrances slightly predominating over the hops. Taste was immediately of malts plus a bit of bite on the tongue (both remained throughout consumption). The sweetness was almost like candy at times. Sometimes when I drink beers like this the term “sickly-sweet” comes to mind. Had the same experience recently with a delirium tremens. Don’t get me wrong, I like sweet beers, especially of the Belgian variety, but there is a point when it becomes overpowering and out of balance with the rest of the drink. The desert-like quality of the 90 minutes IPA and the relatively high alcohol content might make this a bit less drinkable overall. It is definitely a tasty beverage but I wanted a bit more out of the hop side of this IPA.

Ok... so I want to make a slight change to my previous statements. It may not be that the hops are at fault here, but I just wanted the sweet malts to back off a bit. That's it for now...

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer is very tasty. It has very good malty taste and also just the right amount of hops without going overboard. It also has a beautiful color and nice head with just the right amount of aromoa to make your mouth water. Not a good session beer but I would drink two and move on to a less alcohol and less hop beer.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. brown bottle, no freshness date. Pours a golden amber with a nice fluffy white head. Lots of carbonation. Great lacing. Huge pine/citrus hop aroma. Sweet fruitiness, biscuity malts, and an astringent alcohol smell. Syrupy texture. Sweet malts, caramel, with a hint of golden delicious. Mild hop bitterness, the finish has a strong alcohol punch like a brandy. ABV has a warming effect. Definitely a sipper! I did not enjoy the astringent aftertaste. Overall an good IIPA.

Cheers!

2.56/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured this undated 12 oz. into an IPA glass. An agressive pour created three fingers of head that faded to an incomplete ring. Body was translucent golden brown.

Smell was floral hops and fingernail polish remover.

Tasted sweet balanced with the assertive hops. Alcohol was evident. I am not a big fan of the DFH IPAs. However, I did enjoy this one more that the 60 minute (DIPA vs. AIPA).

Mouthfeel was smooth but this one was not an easy drinker.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

I bought a 1/2 barrel of this, so I (and my friends) have been drinking this for quite a while... The first sip and/or glass is always great. You can taste the alcohol, but I tend to like higher alcohol beers... The problem is that I just get tired of drinking it... One is great, but more than one, and the flavor just seems to get dull... If I were buying another Keg from Dogfish Head (and I am generally a fan of that brewery), I'd probably go with the 60 minute... But if you are just buying a 4 or 6 pack, then the 90 minute is a good choice...

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottled on 06/06/06 - I knew there was a reason why there were little voices in my head telling me that I could not leave the store without it.

Pours a clear copper color with a white head. Aroma is extremely delightful consisting of piney hops and sweet malt. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy.Taste starts out smooth and creamy that finishes with a long and sharp citrus/piney hop bitterness. Wow, this is a great brew.

Overall this is a wonderful brew that demands your immediate respect.

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Is it possible to have too much of a good thing?

I like hops. I'm a hophead. Victory Hop Devil is absolutely one of my favorite beers. But the DFH 90 minute goes a bit too far in the piney/resinous hop arena. Maybe I'm just a Cascade sort of guy. I like my citrusy hops.

Anyways, it's a great looking beer. Smells good, too. Taste is sweet due to the tremendous amount of malt that it takes to bump up to 9%, and then the hops try to balance things out. They do, but abrasively.

It's a good beer, but I'll take a Hop Devil over a 90-minute.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a dark orange color with not much head. Aroma was very sweet, almost like bubblegum. Had this on tap this weekend and in the nose I also noticed a rose petal and very skunky herb aroma. It’s taste was initial hops followed by a very sweet finish. Also tastes like eating marijuana nuggets while drinking this.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Having read the other reviews, I am afraid that the level of hops in this variety may cause intrer-batch inconsistencies in flavor; I would expect that much has to do with the serving type.

I came upon several bottle of this brew in an Asheville wine store and picked up a 6'er. For me, this was a very good IPA in the American style.
It packs a whollop of hops up front, with the alcohol and the mouthfeel coming in at the last moment to give it some variety.

This is what I would call a 'floral' IPA, double packed, that finishes earthy and sweet. This is not for the faint-of-hop-hearted. The flavor of the malt is somewhat masked behind the hops, but thru the alcohol you can get the distinct flavor of the heavy amounts used to product 9% ABV.

As far as serving goes, I drank half from the bottle and half from a tulip glass. On some bottles I gently inverted them to pick of the sedemented hop oils (doesn't work well on all IPA's, YMMV) with great results. I would almost say that I prefer this brew from the bottle, starting very cold and allowing it to breathe for a few minutes before enjoying.

Intense American IPA's are often regarded as "unbalanced and undigestible" by the Belgians and others, but to me this is the definition of the style. Its hoppy...really hoppy, like it or don't buy it.

I would put this into the same category (though not as purely drinkable) as Bell's Two Hearted or a really good Harpoon.

Overall a great beer and for this style above average. The color was nice and reddish-amber almost honey. The head was smallish and left after the first few swigs. The smell was nice, hoppy and fresh, but not too hoppy. Some light tantilizing evergreen scent in there...just inviting me in for a drink. The flavor was pleasantly on the sweet side with a tad bit of alcohol and hops in the end. It was a bit on the thicker side with not too much carbonation. I liked this beer and will quickly look to buy more next time I can.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured Vom Fuss at the DFH Ale House into a large snifter. The liquid is a bright & shinning clear amber with small bubbles pushing up a modest 1 finger head. The results of a professional pour. The head fades slowly leaving just a little lace on the glass.

The smell is very sharp, lost of the finest hops, fresh and slightly spicy. Defiantly getting the grapefruit scent with fresh pine needles. Some malt is present through a have of 9.0 ABV.

Taste is in step strong bitter sweet grapefruit, some malt. Lots of alcohol in the mix. Fresh is it, this beer is very pleasing and powerful in its tastes. It was perfect to wash down the Strong Mussels in a quite flavorful rosemary sauce. Oh Yeah!

Mouth feel is a medium body, wine like effervescences in the small bubble carbonation. Very nicely balanced to play with the big ABV.

Drinkability is very good with or without food. You may not want too many but if you pace your self well it won't beer because of the beer taste that you stop. This is defiantly a standard in the bier keller. Zum Wohl! Und Prost! MK

2.71/5  rDev -36.1%

Apricot color with a quickly dissipating white head, leaving a decent lacing. Grassy, and some floral hops, seems like to much maltiness for a DIPA. Starts out with a lemon zest, followed by a caramel taste, quite malty for the style, with a grassy finish. Medium carbonation, syrupy and full bodied. Able to finish the bottle, but glad I only got the one. Probably won't try this one again.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a rich, rusty orange with a medium head. The head drops off quickly, as expected for 9 ABV. Citrus and pine needle aroma, matching the resinous, bitterness of the taste. Each sip lingers with the hops and malt battling away. The long finish ends with an orange and tangy dryness. It's well attenuated, but the depth of the flavor profile gives an impression of a medium body. Very drinkable. There's enough in each drink that makes you want to keep going.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

This could be the closest thing to perfection I have tasted. The extra 30 minutes means a lot. LOL. But seriously, I really can not find anything critical to say about this beer. I also can not put into words how satisfying it is. Just remember it is 9% alcohol, so don't drink the whole four pack at once.

2.61/5  rDev -38.4%

The beer is very sweet and malty. There was so much hype about the beer I had to try. It is not a very balanced product. Lot's of yeast up front. Good Hoppy taste but mouthfeel was all over the board. Nice to see more hoppy style beers coming from the East Coast. There is a distinct palate difference between the East and West coast. Dogfish has a great PR motivation. Everyone wants to sample their beers.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a snifter at the Gaithersburg location of Dogfish Head Alehouse.

Appearance: an orange-tinted honey, smaller head than I expected (although so much of that depends on the pour...), moderate lacing. Slightly hazy. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Lots of fresh hops aroma with some pine notes, and a tantalizing dark-fruit sweetness in the background.

Taste: First impressions: I didn't expect it to be so sweet, but i guess this is a double IPA. Pretty much the same profile as the aroma: dominant hops with a strong sweet backbone, with some alcohol warming also present. Finishes on a dry note, surprising considering the sweetness here and very agreeable to my tastes.

Perhaps a touch undercarbonated in the mouthfeel department, otherwise what you'd expect. Overall, this was a very good beer but it didn't quite meet my expectations (granted they were too high). Too sweet to be a sessioner for me, personally.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Medium amber color, very clear. Slightly off white two finger head that thins out in a couple of minutes. Great lacing.

Smell - Citrus, berry, hops, malt.

Taste - Big hop punch with everything mentioned on the smell plus a mild alcohol finish. Exceptional, one of my favorite IPA's. Sorry I can't explain more of the taste, but my inexperienced palate can't comprehend or translate a comparison.

Mouthfell - Smooth, nice carbonation. Medium body.

Drinkability - Very drinkable, but be carefull. The high ABV is deceiving. You will get drunk quick after a couple of these. My opinion on this brew? Very good, one of the best I've had, wish I could try it on tap. Expensive, so I tend to savor it when I get the chance.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Deep Gold, nice head that leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I smell some pear and apple, then alcohol and citrus.

Taste: The bite of citrus hops with a sweet-bread malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Not really heavy for a DIPA.

Drinkability: Excellent stuff.

This is one of my all-time favorites. Cross the border into Wisconsin and usually these are available. Just a great beer!

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Clear, Golden amber color, white 2" thick head, plenty of bubbles,very active.

Layers upon layers of hoppy aromatic complexities...with red fruits, tangy tart candies, pineapple and grapefruit all over the place. The malt smells totally thick and sweet, mostly caramel and honey.

The flavors just explode, i really can't believe how sweet the malt is, it's a caramel and honey extravaganza and a hop bomb with a big malt presence. The depth and complexity of the hop flavor is the best...and still the best I've seen for this style: Red fruits, sweet pineapple with a grapefruit bitterness and piney, resinous taste and feel. Impressive.

This has a full body feel with a medium body look, very hefty and thick on the palate but not without a good bite as well. The malt heft makes it feel huge but it's got a really nice zip and bite with plenty of life too.

This one sets a standard for the Imperial IPA and I seem to judge most others on this version, a classic for sure in all ways.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

3/2/06 bottled on date

A: Pours a clear deep golden color with a two-finger foamy head that leaves moderate lacing.

S: The smell is a bit underwhelming for a big brew with a floral hop aroma

T: A nicely balanced flavor that is hoppy, yet is not ridiculously vegetal like some DIPA's. Bitterness and flavor from the hops is present from the start unitl well after the swallow.

M: Full-bodied and oily with subtle carbonation.

D: I enjoy this beer quite a lot for not liking the DIPA style that much. The brewers at DFH have managed to create a big hoppy beer that doesn't taste like a celery stick or pine sap. I usually don't like throwing down $9.99 for a 4-pack, but this is one exception I don't mind. This gets a high score here for being one of the only DIPA's that I would order over a typical IPA.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Only the second IPA I have ever had, so just getting used to and loving this style.
Appearance was amber/redish with a decent head. Nice smell, fruity (probably of citrus) and sweet malt. The taste is suburb, from what I remember, I like prefer this one over the 60 min IPA. It has a bitter taste with plenty of hops. Its very smooth but not all that drinkable, due to its high alcohol content.
Overall, supurb beer!

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Good color--decent head, but the head reduces soon to a generous, bubbly lace. Smells like an IPA with a sweet, bubble-gum wrapper around it. But this is NOT what I have come to expect from an IPA or especially an imperial IPA. Usually I feel like they are just trying to show their hop muscle, and nothing else. This has a different hop character that is still serious, but smoother and much, much more drinkable than ANY IPA I have ever experienced. The finish is long and beautiful and really shows off the extra barley character of this brew. As a person who avoids IPA's but does drink them and appreciate them, I am very much enjoing this brew and still respecting it for not compromising the hop-forward character that I feel is essential to the IPA style. Maybe it's the "ridiculous amounts of barley" that make it this classic, quality beer with a fantastic, long finish. I'm drinking an IPA that's far from insipid and in no way hop-shy, but still a quality, balanced brew that normal people like me can drink and enjoy.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

My first foray into Dogfish Head's brews. I managed to get both this and the 120 Minute IPA while in Seattle. I didn't think to look for the 60 minute... :(

Nice copper amber colour with a perfect two-finger, dense white and creamy head. Nice lacing on the glass. I haven't seen many IPAs that look better.

Nice mixture of smells: English malts, loads of hops, fruit aromas, slight grassiness.

Lovely, well balanced taste. High on the hops and thus delivers good fruity and grassy flavours that border on the bitter side. The English malts mellow this out. One of the best Double/Imperial IPAs I've tasted. Very hoppy, but the hops are mellowed out by the malts. No alcohol present.

Mouthfeel is great. Maybe a tad bit light on the carbonation, but good drinking. Drinkability is hampered somewhat by the alcohol. Its not present in the taste, but be careful, because you can certainly feel it.

Two notes: My bottle is labelled as "90 Minute Imperial IPA," and thus is probably the new labelling. Also, mine has the bottled on date...a very faint 02/01/06...so February 1 2006 or January 2 2006.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery