90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,840 | Ratings: 15,271
4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz. bottle, bottled 04/04/06

Deep honey color, nice head retention for such a highly alcoholic beer.

Brown sugar aroma, definately some hops there but not as much as I was expecting.

Pretty sweet taste to start, finishes with a nice hoppiness, very balanced for an IPA with so much hops.

Heavy mouthfeel coming in at 9% ABV. You can certainly taste the alcohol but it is not overpowering.

This beer was different than I expected, I was expecting a more assertive hop bite but it was actually much more smooth bordering on sweet. Much more well balanced than other "big" IPA's, not sure if I like that about this IPA or not yet, maybe I need another, oh well. Looking forward to trying the 120 Min IPA in the near future. On preview I agree with other reviews that state how the alcohol becomes more prevalent as the beer warms up.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

12oz, bottled a little less than 4 months ago.

Pours a brilliantly clear copper with a voluminous, fluffy off-white head. Aromas of citrus, floral and herbal hops (think grapefruit and pine resin) with a very prominent caramel, toffee and brown-sugar maltiness underneath. Through it all comes the alcohol, just barely there, reminding you that this is a beer to be reckoned with.

Taste: Sweet candied fruit up front, followed by a hoppy burst of citrus and floral tones. There is much more than simple bitterness, although there is a noticeable bitterness to this beer. The hop flavor simply shines through in the mid-taste. Towards the end the sweet malt backbone comes back in along with a slight warming alcohol taste. Extremely balanced in the finish, with both malt and hops playing a symphony of flavor on your taste buds. Simply put, the most balanced IIPA I have ever had. Not that IIPAs necessarily should be balanced, but I really enjoyed the way neither hops nor malt dominated.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth, full body; medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer sneaks up on you - it is as close to a sessionable beer as a 9 percenter will ever be.

Had this a few times before, finally decided to review it. Good thing I did, because I now have a new favorite IIPA.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I find this beer almost perfect. I love it. This is the first beer in my craft brewing advetures where I let out a proverbial Eureka and realized what the craft beer thing was all about. I don't know if this is really true to the double IPA style, because it has a balance that most of the double IPAs don't have. Instead of having hops to "rip your tongue out" it has hops that finish well and balance off the thick malty opening on this beer. Get a sweet citris overall taste which is really balanced and almost always hits the spot. Fairly prominent alcohol taste which works well in the confines of this. I'm never not in the mood for this beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Tried a 750ml wire-corked bottle.

I thought it was funny in the movie, "American Beer" when one of the guys said it was named 90 minute IPA because it takes 90 minutes to open the bottle.

Appearance is a deep amberwith a thin off-white head.

Aroma is of strong citrusy/piney hops. Sweet carmelized malts with a hint of tangerine, peach?

Taste is strong piney, citusy hops. HOPS! Almost balanced with a sweet malt, caramel/brown sugar character.

Medium bodied, slightly syrupy mouthfeel strong alcohol warmth.

Decent drinkability but watch out; the alcohol will get you!

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a short, foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong hops and citrus aroma, with some caramelized malt mixed in, very pleasant.

T: A big hit of hops greets you quickly, followed by a malty brown sugar & citrus sweetness and then the warmth of the 9.00% ABV, which becomes more pronounced as the beer warms.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, very clean finish, nicely balanced.

D: Tasty, not filling, and even though you clearly taste the alcohol, you won’t mind it at all, this may get you into trouble in a hurry. Although this isn’t my favorite Double IPA, it’s very, very good.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

Be careful with this one. This is a strong brew with a slightly sweet taste that can mislead you. Suggest, citrus, peach and strong hops. Share with friends with adventurous tastes because of the cost. Expensive and worth the cost for true beer snobs. Great when alternating with other less sweet IPAs. Backyard drink. You do not want to drive after having a few of these.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated 12/16/05. pours a hazy copper/ orange color with very little head, that disappears quickly. Lacing is incredible. The aroma is mostly piney hop notes . For a Double IPA the hops are not overpowering at all. It is well balanced by the malt sweetness. I do not care for highly bitter beers. I've recently gone from drinking Brown ales to IPA's. The mouth feel is oily (but in a good way) from all the hops and is very thick. The alcohol content is not pronounced for a 9% beer, but is more pronounced than the 60 minute IPA (which I'm a huge fan off) This is an excellent beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours cloudy apricot with a thick white head and slight lacing.

Smell is juicy citrus hop and mild fruity maltiness.

Taste dominated by grapefruit hop flavor. Once again, mild maltiness has a presence and gives some semblance balance. Finish has lingering fruity bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and soft. Medium bodied and a little slick.

This is a good IPA. Great hoppiness and surprisingly good maltiness as well. Great for the hot summer days.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear golden orange. A nice thick, just off white head provides great lace.
A wonderfull aroma. Malty in back of a great hop aroma.
Solid toasty malt backbone. Great hop flavor with a bitterness that doesn't linger. Hits the extremities of what a DIPA should and can be.
A full malty body. Almost slick, but the maltiness provides great traction andf the flavor grabs the whole palate.
One of the best DIPA's I've had.... Different however in it's own way. Great Drinkability!
\thanks to Lackenhauser for this one (not to mention many others).

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Floral and citrus aroma with a mahogony pour. This double IPA is one of the best. Not as hoppy as the 60 min IPA but much smoother. Much more malt used in this brew. Easy drinkability and you feel great after 2 of them!! Very smooth with an excellent finish. would love to find it on tap somewhere with the DFH fresh hopper!!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance- Pours a mix of sunlight and mahagony. The head is a spongey off-white with all right retention. No film or foam ring is left at about the half way point. No lacing.

Smell- A sugary hop smell. Is that possible?? Its liek citrus, floral, and bitterness married with cane sugar in the nose of this beer.

Taste- Starts with a molasses like sweet punch of cascade hops and amber malts. This slowly decends to a more Belgian Candi sugar taste with a well developed malt character. This is why I love DFH.

Mouthfeel- The perfect flavor example of the word "bittersweet". Enough said.

Appearance is that of a light amber with a head that disipates quickly but lacing lasts throughout.
Aroma is citrus with strong hints of grapefruit and malt. Slight alcohol nose present but is masked well.
Malt character is stronger than any other Double IPA I've ever had - the hops are present but overwhelmed by the strong maltiness.
Mouthfeel is smooth for ABV. My lips stick together from the sweetness.
Overall a good Double IPA - Not my favorite. I enjoy the 60 Minute IPA much better - but I favor single IPAs anyway. Not my first choice for a 2IPA, but good.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Of all the beers I've had, this is the one I most regret running out of. You can't get it here in Ontario, although supposedly the 60 Minute is now available at the LCBO (yet to see it, though!). I'm reviewing my last bottle of the 90 Minute...

Pours a semi-clear, orangey amber into a pint glass. Small head, but I like this beer a little colder than some, so that's probably why.

Aroma is powerful citrus -- lemons, oranges, grapefruit.

Taste is... for me, anyway... perfect! Nice and hoppy, dry but still well balanced with malt. Orange and citrus, pine and earthiness, but none of the soapiness of some other strong IPAs.

Mouthfeel is great -- smooth and coating without being slick or oily. Great, sweetish aftertaste provides some 'relief' from the citrusy bitterness (not that it's needed).

By far the best IPA or double IPA I've had.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case.. ended up having a few every night since then. It is now a week later (have one in my hand now) and there is one left in the fridge. This is an amazing beer. I especially like the high alcohol content (9%), one beer and I have a buzz, so I only want to have a couple at a time.. unless my intent is something different. I'm definitely going to get another case tomorrow.. along with some others to try out.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Bright amber with almost 2 inch head when poured straight down the middle of the glass. Head fades to coat the top of the beer, with a constant stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: Strong floral / hop smell raises out of the glass and meets your nose half way to your mouth. Definite citrus nose. Maybe a bit of pine?

T: The hops are definitely there, but not as strong as I had hoped. The bitterness is there but it is balanced by the alcohol. Not nearly as strong alcohol as you would expect for the ABV. Gets a little stronger as the beer warms.

M: Creamy feel that coats your whole mouth and lips. Hops stay on the roof of your mouth. Coating feeling keeps the aftertaste with you for a while and you are happy about that.

D: Overall very drinkable. Hops could be a little more agressive. Goes down a little too easily for the ABV so be careful! This one drinks like a good session beer, but at 9% it'll sneak up on you. I for one might be willing to take that chance, but not on a "school night"!! :)

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Surprisngly clear amber appearence with a short, white head.
As expected, a very hoppy aroma with a nice malt background.
First sip clearly indicates it's an IPA. Didn't really pick up the label claim of "ridiculous amounts of English two-row barley."
Nice, lingering of hops and citrusy flavors.
I didn't find this as drinkable as other quality IPA's. After one I was ready to move on to something else.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

My first review of a beer on BA although I have been reviewing for most of my life, this is the beer that made me start.
I had bought it on a refill round at my favorite store; 2 weeks later had the chance to sample it. Boy was I upset that I’d waited.
The pour was very smooth (oversized pint glass). Did a harder pour on the second one, got the same amount of head.
Floral smell, sweet taste, extremely smooth almost creamy going down. You really don’t want the aftertaste to end. I am a huge hop fan, I’ve brewed a bunch of batches, please forward the recipe. All in all glad I live in MI so I can grab it when I want.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottle, dated 1st of May, 06, quite new, [think this would have legs....]
Pop the cap and a burst of floral. Once in the glass a nice grassy aroma. Amber colored, slightly dark, light creamy head dwindles, with some lacing. Great balanced hoppyness. This is an imperial IPA [the 120 is a Barely wine] Very nice, wish we could get on the west coast, but then we do have Stone brewery....

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA pours a slightly hazy amber with a thick, fluffy, off-white head. I really like the smell. Citrusy hops. I could sit with this stuffed in my face all day. Citrusy hops dominate the taste, but I'm surprised at how balanced this is. I don't feel like the bitterness is out of control which I feared could be the case with this style, especially in the finish. Better than I expected, and I was expecting a lot. All of the Dogfish beers I've tried have been worth trying even if they weren't my thing. Highly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at the Collins Bar for their Dogfish Head extravaganza.
Quite a bit like the bottled form but a little sweeter and perhaps stickier due to the Randall phenomenon.
Nearly too much hops, nudging the drinkability down just a bit, at least for me. Could stand to be a bit more dry to my taste as well.
Still, well brewed madly/geniusly filtered.

4.76/5  rDev +12.5%

What's better than 90 minute IPA through the Randall? Why, that would be CASK-CONDITIONED 90 minute IPA through the Randall. I was swimming through layers of herbal, piney, floral hop aromas and flavors with an amazingly balanced sweet malt backbone that had me silenced, but for the sound of purring deep within my bowels. Layer upon layer of hop flavor washing over every millimeter of my mouth. Nothing sharp or harsh about so much hop flavor.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

First off, I can't believe how balanced this beer is, I couldn't have been happier. Its a deep golden color, slightly hazy with little head and a nice lace. There is definitely a strong grain bill backing the monster hop addition, which it does nicely. The alcohol flavor also provides balance without it being too "boozy". The hop flavor is strong but isn't too bitter nor is it grassy or piney. This is definitely a standard for the style.

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%

[Note: this review will be knowledge-less; ie, I know nothing about the style, have never had it before, etc...I am a 90-minute virgin. That sounds weird.]

Absolutely beautiful lacing, just from the head dying. Interestingly, it has a rather plain, carbonation-light body, with a yellow-orange color. Foam is frothy and clumpy and sticky and egg-white in color.

The reason I reviewed this beer is because of its smell. Right hand to god, it demanded that I explicate its goodness. I made sounds smelling it that make my girlfriend jealous. Melon, light pine, a slight grassiness and moss are readily noticable, and with a swirl, so is a powerful alcohol, more melon, and some strawberry.

It feels like silk in my mouth. Carbonation is strong but not powerful--it's smooth and peppy but without overdue intensity. Aftertaste is without stickiness, leaving my mouth watering. Light but full-bodied. Agile, even. Warms my belly and droops my eyes.

It's surprisingly light on flavor, too, until one takes a good swallow. It's drinkable more than anything of this caliber (and hop content!) I've ever tried. When the flavor comes through, though, it makes itself known with smooth raspberry, pine, grapefruit, and lemon in such a way that doesn't surprise or knock me back. Not what I was expecting, but certainly wonderful and excellent. The "Imperial IPA" made me expect a powerhouse, with rough edges, sharp tastes, and a sumo wrestler's body. Instead, it's a smooth, Belgian-like dilettante. What a sexy beer.

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. The appearance was normal, clear golden orange color with thick white foam. But the smell was outstanding. Resiny and full of hops, it was so appetizing. The flavor was really good also, hoppy but the malt flavor came through also. And the beer was so thick and full too. Hydroponics in a bottle.

Best IPA ever for me.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

I bought this with high expectations, so that might explain why I was slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting a HOP MONSTER! It was a well balanced beer with great color. It was not as bitter as I thought it might be. There was little or no alcohol flavor which suprised me since it is 9%.

I am glad I purchased the 4 pack(which was kinda spendy), but after drinking one of them I am not sure I will buy it again.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery