90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,828 | Ratings: 15,218
4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Deep amber color with a nice head that lasts a long time. Lots of bubbles make this a very nice looking beer.

S- Floral, piney hop aroma typical of an IPA. Also picked up some sweet malt and a bit of yeast.

T- Fairly sweet with a cake-like malt taste. Hops add their bit of pine and citrus, but the malt sticks through to the end. Superb balance, the hops and the malt blend to produce a delicious flavor. Bitterness is actually pretty low, especially compared to what I expected. The aftertaste is fantastic.

M- Full and somewhat syrupy, and smooth as silk.

D- Incredible. I'd say I could drink this stuff all night, but of course I physically couldn't. That might not stop me from trying, though...

Overall this was a fantastic beer. One of the best IPA's I've had, double or otherwise. Highly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Orange and copper with a pillowy head. Smells sweet, citrusy, and piney. Tastes of candied oranges, sweet sugars from the malt with lemon and grapefruit that give way to a pleasant bitterness, very nice balance between the two. Medium to heavy body, the alcohol is hardly noticeable. High quality dipa.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA poured from a brown, 12 oz. bottle with a bottled on date listed as 02/01/06. I poured mine into a tulip glass.

Poured a dark gold color with a finger of bright white head that dissipated and left a ring of white head around the edge of the glass. Little bubbles of what looked like an energetic dose of carbonation rose throughout the drinking of the beer to the top of the glass, and the head left some ultra fine lacing around the top of the initial pour. The aroma was of citrussy hops with a little caramel and healthy dose of piney aromas. The beer had a suprisingly creamy textures and medium to full mouthfeel and a dry, tickling carbonated finish, an experience to have on the tongue. A big hoppy presence begins the beer and then that transitions slowly to a healthy maltiness. I expected the hoppiness to be slightly more agressive than what it proved to be, but because of this fact, this one is enormously drinkable and pleasantly refreshing.

Notes: This style has been growing on me enormously of late. I find myself returning the beers because of their promise of enormouse hops and flavor. This is one solid double IPA that I would definitely return to again, although it does not instill in me the instant satisfaction that I have perhaps tried the best example of the style, I hope to find it on tap and give it another go.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

First time reviewing this classic. This bottle pours with a smaller head than I remember DFH 90 having, and a nice, clear, bright amber body. The nose is quite piney due to all the hops, but the nose indicates balance, too, with some solid malts in the background. The taste is quite bitter with fruity, piney hops, moving from the front of the palate to the back. Throughout this beer is big and full on the palate -- very high gravity -- and incredibly smooth given all the hops present. For an extremely hoppy, highly alcoholic brew, DFH 90 is surprisingly drinkable. This is a truly excellent IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

To think that when I first had this beer during the summer of '04 I didn't even know about DFH. We stumbled upon it when our family was at the beach. With that said, we brought back 4 cases to Georgia. This is one of my favorite DIPA, ever. Not much head or carbonation. But the aroma! WOW. You can almost feel the resin. The hops is not overpowering like some DIPAs. It would be easy to drink several of these and not really know it until you stood up.
UPDATE: The last few I've had (10/06) have not tasted as good.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Yes, 90 minute is good, very good. Thank you for asking.

This is 60 Minute's older brother; stronger, more refined, well balanced, and overall more fun to hang out with.

A beautiful pour, golden highlights and a real nice body. Four pack? I shall not think of the price one would have to pay if it was available in six. After a couple of these however you will have a greater appreciation of the four pack.

Hop flavor that leaves you very satisfied.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Many thanks go to Px2GrafX for this little guy.

Pretty straight-forward 12 ouncer. Pouring in to my Dad’s Kona pint glass.

Nose is fuity. Immediately reminded me of Dreadnaught.

One finger head makes its presence known. Pretty transparent light, burnt orange. Pretty good flurry of bubble action.

Reminds me a lot of dreadnaught. It’s got that pineapple/strawberry hop character. Is this an east coast IPA thing? I’ve never had a west coast IPA taste like this before. Slightly less complex than Dready. Piney hop punch up front, rolling in to that aforementioned fruity hoppiness. Alcohol is very well masked, and only noticeable as a slight burn in my tummy. This beer is insatiably smooth, with a wonderful mouthfeel. Carbonation is perfect. Drinkability is off the charts. If there ever was an all-night DIPA, this is it.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap in my very own basement. My brother, cousin, buddy Ray and I won a Randall at the 1st Annual DFH bocce tournament and we tried it out on a keg of 90 minute at a party I had in 2005. What an experience. We were lucky enough to have the fine folks at the DFH brewpub in Rehoboth (Mike the brewer) fill our Randall with cascade hops. We poured the beers straight from the tap into pitchers as the beer was very foamy and needed some time to settle. The aroma of this ranallized 90 minute in the pitcher and in the glasses when we later poured it was of a great big bunch of piney hops bursting at the seams, even more than usual. The taste was very pleasing with more bold piney hop bit with a touch of grapefruit and other citrus. I could not get over the great aroma of this bad bad boy. Although we lost a bit of the keg in hooking up the system, what we had we really enjoyed.

We even filled a growler near the end and took some of the cascade hops from the Randall and put in the growler. This made for an even bigger hop experience the following day.

I look forward to trying 90 minute again or maybe something different on our Randall in the future. Great job Sam!

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA.

Appearance- dark orange/ brown with a nice head, not too thick. Serious lacing down the entire glass.
Smell- Slighty burnt/ toasted malt with a balanced citric hop.
Taste- toasted caramel malt evenly balanced with a orange rind hop. Slighty sweet. Like candy.
Mouthfeel- big flavor up front but tapering off in the end. Sweet and not too bitter.

Overall- Wow, I slammed this beer 2 years ago, but I take back what I said. I've been drinking this beer for the past few months and is my go-to IPA. I, obviously grew in the tastebud department and have come around to enjoy and respect a big flavor IPA such as this.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Pours a golden orange color with a small creamy head that fades quickly. Leaves very heavy lacing coating the walls of my snifter glass.

Smell: I was expecting the hops to be too big. This beer may have gotten bigger than the 60 min but it did not get overly bitey. The smell is actually more toasted sweet malt that it is over the top pine bite. After the caramel lead off there is a bold grapefruit presence but not cloying. (coming from a non-hophead). I is very fruity like some apple and white grape were thrown in this floral bouquet.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweet. Smooth! Alcohol and balanced hop spice then dry finish and grapefruit aftertaste with a second wave of sugars following the tart. The moment this beer touched my lips it was instant onslaught of marvelous sugars and tingles. It is so magnificently smooth and slick it just slid across my tougher with its oily malty slickness and unless I stopped to swish it around the bitter was only presented as a mild tingle. When I held on to it for further contemplation the alcohol did show through but in nice balance with the citrus rind tartness. The aftertaste left me with a grapefruit pucker followed by more sugars coming back around for a second wave of sweetness. Brilliant!

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer. At 9% ABV it has caught up to you before you know it. I would consider it easy to drink but not sessionable.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle

A: Looks all right, clear copperish color with a small head that dies fast.

S: Smells wonderful with floral hops galore. Mmmm Also some piney hops and a touch of alcohol

T: A glorified IPA. Does leave a sharp alcohol taste after which is really the only detraction. Other than that it is very hoppy with a touch of toastiness? toffee? The malt is present too and it is not just a system overload of hops.

M: To carbonated. A sharpness of carbonation hits you in conjunction with the alcohol. Plus the 9% really adds to an unpleasant syrupy mouthfeel.

D: The high carbonation with the syrupy mouthfeel should have me slowly sipping the beverage. But nonetheless the amazing taste of hops and malts have me drinking it quite fast. Dont think I would go for another one, but thats not the goal of this type of style now is it?

D: Its strong, its heavy, but I still gave it a 3.5 because of

If you like hops this is the way to go. The boys at Dogfish head have made a great beer here. If you love hops this beer is for you. Personally the best IPA I have had. This beer has a great hop taste. I am really looking forward to trying the 120 min IPA from Dogfish Head.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Here's a beer that pushes the limits. 90 Minute IPA is 9% ABV and the nearly 300 calories per bottle. I must say that I’m impressed with Mr. Sam Calagione. He brews this magnificent stuff, but obviously remains in good physically fit shape. I think my wife has a crush on him (via the brewing video put out by the History Channel, which I watch 4 times a week on average). What’s with Mr. Calagione’s naming convention? Anyhow, let’s get on with the show.

I poured 90 Minute IPA from a 12 oz bottle into my pint glass. The brew is quite clear, not hazy at all. Has a beautiful amber color, with a fine bubbly head leaving behind a fine lacy film within two minutes.

I can smell the roasted malts in this. The hops don't blind the malt too much. None the less, the prominent leafy/flowery smell is most prevalent. I detect the slightly higher alcohol content here too.

I can taste the sweetness from the malt, SURPRISE! The hops still don't overpower the malt. This is also a little biscuity and fruity too.

The brew feels a little dry, but not too much. I can feel the alcohol presence especially in the back of my throat.

90 minutes later… This is a great specimen. Be careful of the extra calorie content, or you'll get fat from this stuff. Also, 1 90 Minute IPA is equal to two regular macro beers in ABV. Take it easy.

TheSarge

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

One month after bottling date:

Pours reddish amber with a white head that thins, but has great lasting power. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of mango, apricot, citrus and pine. Some caramel and a whiff of alcohol blend in.

The taste is sweeter than it is bitter...quite a bit. Caramel and tropical fruits/resin, in an oily way, mix together. A bit soapy. Finishes with a juicy, slightly boozy, fruitiness.

Medium-to-full bodied, a bit oily.

Hops come across as juicy/oily more than bitter. An interesting DIPA that I enjoy smelling a bit more than drinking (though I enjoy that too!)

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Probably my favorite, or close to it, DIPA out there. Pours with a nice head off slight tan on top of a dark orange sea of wonderful hopiness. The head lacing is as high on this beer as any I have ever tasted, consistently coats the glass all the way to the last drop.

Nose is enormous with a robust pine cone and citrus combo that plays delicately while also being very bold. Taste is balanced. Pure hoppy goodness with a nice malt structure as a backbone. This beer almost defines the style for me with its easy drinking but very complex blend of hops, malt and underlying citrus notes.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly syrupy orange hue with a one finger steady head and full streaming carbonation. Smells so hoppy but not in an intimidating way. Sweet and citrusy, piney for sure, nothing else smells like this beer. Taste on this pour is insane hops which hit you upfront actually, and then the malt pulls through later...rather backwards here! The sensation is not unlike drinking some kind of acid! Insanely hoppy, and yet it doesn't hurt. None of that awful taste left on the palate, and every sip makes you want another soon. I remember thinking this was even more malty than it is, but it is indeed extemely malty, hence the unsusual hue, and ability to hold up to these hops! I imagine this must be a blend of multiple hop varities, as this much of one hop would be like an icepick...but the complexity of hops here is just so precice, and
so intense, it must have been a very time consuming recipe to produce such perfection that achieves both extremity and balance... Mouthfeel is very full and thick, carbonation is hard but nothing could dominate the thickness of the malt or intensity of the hops here, so it somehow it comes off almost balanced? This beer defies the style, which screams "one sided!"

This is the only double IPA i can really drink (so far). I made the mistake of making this the first IPA I tried. It got me excited about beer, hops, and IPA's, but I've not yet found another nearly as amazing. Little praise can be said about this beer that is not infact true. Of note, as high as this beers rating is for me, I never stock it and drink it only on extremely rare occasions, by itself, and stich to the likewise delicious 60 on occasion with food, which may account for how impressed I am by this brew on those rare occasions I crack one. Cheers to possibly my favorite craft brewery!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured our copper/amber into a large tulip. Admittedly, I was very agressive on the pour and this gave me more than a 4 finger head. I poured this nearly 5 mnutes ago and there's still more than a three finger head with a serious cottony lacing on the glass. Smell is very citrusy and hoppy. Taste is similar with plenty of hop, lemon zest and alcohol but nothing at all overpowering. Mouth feel is full, coating and slightly thick. Not at all syrupy.

This is VERY drinkable. It's smooth and warming and each sip makes your mouth water for more.

I see this as being a seriously dangerous summer beer. The funny thing is that I've never considered myself a hop head but apparently my taste is still developing.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Oh yeah, been getting in the hoppy stuff and wipes my mind clean from that SA cherry wheat shit earlier. Pours amber color, little head, smells sweet. Taste? Ohhhh yeah, nice citrusy hop flavor with sweet malt, a perfect balance. Damn I could pound these things all night but I must control myself and savor them instead. Only if they were available in six packs and not just 4-packs.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Is this the big brother of 60' IPA? If so, I need to have the 120'. It looks like the 60', clear orange with a medium white head. It has a sweet odor, and a similar taste, but deeper and bolder. It's very hoppy, but I think a bit smoother and not as sharp as the 60'.. A wonderful beer, one I would like to have again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Found this beer by accident...happy accident.

Pours with minimum foam, maximum aroma. Few bubbles atop this clear, copper brew, and hops are merely a compliment to the richer, maltier promise that is soon delivered.

Much to be discovered in the taste: hops are pungent and find the back of your sinuses quickly, but are backed by a tasty male sweetness. Alcohol is apparent and at 9% ABV needs to be acknoweldged. This is not a beer to begin your night, but rather to cap it off.

Pairs well with sharp cheddar, like a Grafton's 5 year.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Highs: Nose, taste, mouthfeel
Lows: None

Pours translucent brown with no bubbles, nice thick tan head that fades away at a moderate pace leaving heavy lacing that remains until after the beer is long gone. Delicious hops nose with no citrus noted. The first impression is a thick, substantial mouth, nearly syrupy yet still liquid and refreshing. Flavor is complex; hops are subtle yet certainly present with no real bitterness. There’s the slightest hint of alcohol, which at 9% ABV isn’t surprising. Finish is again well balanced, with subdued hops and a light bitterness; finish is lightly syrupy. Drinkability is very good; it is an enjoyable IPA that is not overly hopped or bitter.

Overall: An outstanding IPA, wholeheartedly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Purchased in a four pack for what I'd normally pay for a sixer, but since I've heard such good things about this brew I didn't mind the extra cost.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint. Body is a fairly clear, crisp looking copper brown. A tad lighter in shade than a lot of craft IPAs. Decent head exited quite quickly. Some lace.

The aroma doesn't kick like I expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Roasted malts dominate, and hops are there, but don't kick your teeth in, which was a surprise. Sweet caramels, faint flowers, and grain.

The flavor is where this brew shines... big time. The label states it is "balanced by a ridiculous amount of English Two-row barley" which is no joke. Simply beautiful. The hop profile is complex and also perfectly balanced. I like to be assaulted by hops as much as the next guy, but that's not what this beer is going for. Rich and flavorful, the hops hold their own, but in no way overshadow the entire flavor like a lot of others in the style. Hands down the best DIPA I've had to date.

9% You wouldn't guess it. Watch your back on this one, or you'll be laying on it.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a dirty brown with thick lacing and a quick to dissipate head.

Nose was actually not as hoppy smelling as I had hoped for. Still a very bold piney, hoppy aroma.

Well the taste of this brew is truly spectacular. Hop heads rejoice there may be a god. The Randall system does seem to add mucho hop and more character to the brew but I wonder how often they have to add new hops and take out the old? Oh yeah back to the taste. Slight grapefruit with other citrusy notes shining through, pine needle, a significant amount of tannin but that's due to the spectacular hop texture.

Extremely long finish of pure hop, pine, and tannin. This beer is extremely drinkable. Almost too much so. Hopefully my local bar (Boston's Bistro) will have a go at Randall The Enamel Animal.

Would have loved to try a draught 120 minute with this. Would have also been interesting to do a side by side of a regular Draught 90 min and the Randall 90 min.

Conclusion, if you know of a place that's not over a 2 hour drive from your homestead (unless you get a hotel) stop and try this unique concept in beer history. Well worth it.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the bottle to a good head. Underneath, a deep solid gold with active, widespread beading. Lacing is good.

Smell is solid hops, crisp and citrusy, emphasise on grapefruit. Behind it lays a mountain of malt.

The taste is like a brick. No subtly here, It is a huge beer with huge flavors. Rich malt and mouth-puckering hops.

Mouth-feel is sweet, sweet gravy. Bring a spoon for this beer.

Drinkability only suffers from the size of this one. Although i would drink quite a few in a row, i wouldn't call it a session beer.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this on tap, run through the "Randall the Enamel Animal" fresh hop infuser at Buffalo Wild Wings in Indianapolis, duing NCAA Final Four weekend. WOW! What a difference the fresh hop infusion made. This was a totally different beer than what I'd tasted in bottles of 90 Minute. And as a bonus, since the hop machine caused the pour to be "foamy," the bartender poured it into a pitcher and gave me the extra in addition to the glassful--it wound up being a 2 for 1 special! Let me just say that 20 oz of fresh-hop infused 90 Minute was a great way to start the weekend.

A - A lovely dark pinkish gold with a beautiful 1" head (after being pitchered and then poured into the glass).

S - It had just flowed through lines of fresh hops on it's way to the spout--the smell was heavenly for a hophead.

T - As always, this is where it is all at. While I find bottled 90 Minute a bit heavy on the alcohol, this draft incarnation had a fresher, more well-balanced taste profile.

M - The slightly higher carbonation level--compared to the bottled version--gave it a cleaner, less oily, mouthfeel, which I quite enjoyed.

D - Unreal. Perhaps the most dangerous drinkability of any high alcohol content beer I've ever had (with Bigfoot being a possible exception). If I did not know this was a 9% beer, I might have downed these all afternoon, until I fell off my stool in a coma.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery