90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,841 | Ratings: 15,275
4.23/5  rDev 0%

Here's a beer that pushes the limits. 90 Minute IPA is 9% ABV and the nearly 300 calories per bottle. I must say that I’m impressed with Mr. Sam Calagione. He brews this magnificent stuff, but obviously remains in good physically fit shape. I think my wife has a crush on him (via the brewing video put out by the History Channel, which I watch 4 times a week on average). What’s with Mr. Calagione’s naming convention? Anyhow, let’s get on with the show.

I poured 90 Minute IPA from a 12 oz bottle into my pint glass. The brew is quite clear, not hazy at all. Has a beautiful amber color, with a fine bubbly head leaving behind a fine lacy film within two minutes.

I can smell the roasted malts in this. The hops don't blind the malt too much. None the less, the prominent leafy/flowery smell is most prevalent. I detect the slightly higher alcohol content here too.

I can taste the sweetness from the malt, SURPRISE! The hops still don't overpower the malt. This is also a little biscuity and fruity too.

The brew feels a little dry, but not too much. I can feel the alcohol presence especially in the back of my throat.

90 minutes later… This is a great specimen. Be careful of the extra calorie content, or you'll get fat from this stuff. Also, 1 90 Minute IPA is equal to two regular macro beers in ABV. Take it easy.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

One month after bottling date:

Pours reddish amber with a white head that thins, but has great lasting power. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of mango, apricot, citrus and pine. Some caramel and a whiff of alcohol blend in.

The taste is sweeter than it is bitter...quite a bit. Caramel and tropical fruits/resin, in an oily way, mix together. A bit soapy. Finishes with a juicy, slightly boozy, fruitiness.

Medium-to-full bodied, a bit oily.

Hops come across as juicy/oily more than bitter. An interesting DIPA that I enjoy smelling a bit more than drinking (though I enjoy that too!)

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Probably my favorite, or close to it, DIPA out there. Pours with a nice head off slight tan on top of a dark orange sea of wonderful hopiness. The head lacing is as high on this beer as any I have ever tasted, consistently coats the glass all the way to the last drop.

Nose is enormous with a robust pine cone and citrus combo that plays delicately while also being very bold. Taste is balanced. Pure hoppy goodness with a nice malt structure as a backbone. This beer almost defines the style for me with its easy drinking but very complex blend of hops, malt and underlying citrus notes.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly syrupy orange hue with a one finger steady head and full streaming carbonation. Smells so hoppy but not in an intimidating way. Sweet and citrusy, piney for sure, nothing else smells like this beer. Taste on this pour is insane hops which hit you upfront actually, and then the malt pulls through later...rather backwards here! The sensation is not unlike drinking some kind of acid! Insanely hoppy, and yet it doesn't hurt. None of that awful taste left on the palate, and every sip makes you want another soon. I remember thinking this was even more malty than it is, but it is indeed extemely malty, hence the unsusual hue, and ability to hold up to these hops! I imagine this must be a blend of multiple hop varities, as this much of one hop would be like an icepick...but the complexity of hops here is just so precice, and
so intense, it must have been a very time consuming recipe to produce such perfection that achieves both extremity and balance... Mouthfeel is very full and thick, carbonation is hard but nothing could dominate the thickness of the malt or intensity of the hops here, so it somehow it comes off almost balanced? This beer defies the style, which screams "one sided!"

This is the only double IPA i can really drink (so far). I made the mistake of making this the first IPA I tried. It got me excited about beer, hops, and IPA's, but I've not yet found another nearly as amazing. Little praise can be said about this beer that is not infact true. Of note, as high as this beers rating is for me, I never stock it and drink it only on extremely rare occasions, by itself, and stich to the likewise delicious 60 on occasion with food, which may account for how impressed I am by this brew on those rare occasions I crack one. Cheers to possibly my favorite craft brewery!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured our copper/amber into a large tulip. Admittedly, I was very agressive on the pour and this gave me more than a 4 finger head. I poured this nearly 5 mnutes ago and there's still more than a three finger head with a serious cottony lacing on the glass. Smell is very citrusy and hoppy. Taste is similar with plenty of hop, lemon zest and alcohol but nothing at all overpowering. Mouth feel is full, coating and slightly thick. Not at all syrupy.

This is VERY drinkable. It's smooth and warming and each sip makes your mouth water for more.

I see this as being a seriously dangerous summer beer. The funny thing is that I've never considered myself a hop head but apparently my taste is still developing.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Oh yeah, been getting in the hoppy stuff and wipes my mind clean from that SA cherry wheat shit earlier. Pours amber color, little head, smells sweet. Taste? Ohhhh yeah, nice citrusy hop flavor with sweet malt, a perfect balance. Damn I could pound these things all night but I must control myself and savor them instead. Only if they were available in six packs and not just 4-packs.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Is this the big brother of 60' IPA? If so, I need to have the 120'. It looks like the 60', clear orange with a medium white head. It has a sweet odor, and a similar taste, but deeper and bolder. It's very hoppy, but I think a bit smoother and not as sharp as the 60'.. A wonderful beer, one I would like to have again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Found this beer by accident...happy accident.

Pours with minimum foam, maximum aroma. Few bubbles atop this clear, copper brew, and hops are merely a compliment to the richer, maltier promise that is soon delivered.

Much to be discovered in the taste: hops are pungent and find the back of your sinuses quickly, but are backed by a tasty male sweetness. Alcohol is apparent and at 9% ABV needs to be acknoweldged. This is not a beer to begin your night, but rather to cap it off.

Pairs well with sharp cheddar, like a Grafton's 5 year.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Highs: Nose, taste, mouthfeel
Lows: None

Pours translucent brown with no bubbles, nice thick tan head that fades away at a moderate pace leaving heavy lacing that remains until after the beer is long gone. Delicious hops nose with no citrus noted. The first impression is a thick, substantial mouth, nearly syrupy yet still liquid and refreshing. Flavor is complex; hops are subtle yet certainly present with no real bitterness. There’s the slightest hint of alcohol, which at 9% ABV isn’t surprising. Finish is again well balanced, with subdued hops and a light bitterness; finish is lightly syrupy. Drinkability is very good; it is an enjoyable IPA that is not overly hopped or bitter.

Overall: An outstanding IPA, wholeheartedly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Purchased in a four pack for what I'd normally pay for a sixer, but since I've heard such good things about this brew I didn't mind the extra cost.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint. Body is a fairly clear, crisp looking copper brown. A tad lighter in shade than a lot of craft IPAs. Decent head exited quite quickly. Some lace.

The aroma doesn't kick like I expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Roasted malts dominate, and hops are there, but don't kick your teeth in, which was a surprise. Sweet caramels, faint flowers, and grain.

The flavor is where this brew shines... big time. The label states it is "balanced by a ridiculous amount of English Two-row barley" which is no joke. Simply beautiful. The hop profile is complex and also perfectly balanced. I like to be assaulted by hops as much as the next guy, but that's not what this beer is going for. Rich and flavorful, the hops hold their own, but in no way overshadow the entire flavor like a lot of others in the style. Hands down the best DIPA I've had to date.

9% You wouldn't guess it. Watch your back on this one, or you'll be laying on it.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a dirty brown with thick lacing and a quick to dissipate head.

Nose was actually not as hoppy smelling as I had hoped for. Still a very bold piney, hoppy aroma.

Well the taste of this brew is truly spectacular. Hop heads rejoice there may be a god. The Randall system does seem to add mucho hop and more character to the brew but I wonder how often they have to add new hops and take out the old? Oh yeah back to the taste. Slight grapefruit with other citrusy notes shining through, pine needle, a significant amount of tannin but that's due to the spectacular hop texture.

Extremely long finish of pure hop, pine, and tannin. This beer is extremely drinkable. Almost too much so. Hopefully my local bar (Boston's Bistro) will have a go at Randall The Enamel Animal.

Would have loved to try a draught 120 minute with this. Would have also been interesting to do a side by side of a regular Draught 90 min and the Randall 90 min.

Conclusion, if you know of a place that's not over a 2 hour drive from your homestead (unless you get a hotel) stop and try this unique concept in beer history. Well worth it.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the bottle to a good head. Underneath, a deep solid gold with active, widespread beading. Lacing is good.

Smell is solid hops, crisp and citrusy, emphasise on grapefruit. Behind it lays a mountain of malt.

The taste is like a brick. No subtly here, It is a huge beer with huge flavors. Rich malt and mouth-puckering hops.

Mouth-feel is sweet, sweet gravy. Bring a spoon for this beer.

Drinkability only suffers from the size of this one. Although i would drink quite a few in a row, i wouldn't call it a session beer.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this on tap, run through the "Randall the Enamel Animal" fresh hop infuser at Buffalo Wild Wings in Indianapolis, duing NCAA Final Four weekend. WOW! What a difference the fresh hop infusion made. This was a totally different beer than what I'd tasted in bottles of 90 Minute. And as a bonus, since the hop machine caused the pour to be "foamy," the bartender poured it into a pitcher and gave me the extra in addition to the glassful--it wound up being a 2 for 1 special! Let me just say that 20 oz of fresh-hop infused 90 Minute was a great way to start the weekend.

A - A lovely dark pinkish gold with a beautiful 1" head (after being pitchered and then poured into the glass).

S - It had just flowed through lines of fresh hops on it's way to the spout--the smell was heavenly for a hophead.

T - As always, this is where it is all at. While I find bottled 90 Minute a bit heavy on the alcohol, this draft incarnation had a fresher, more well-balanced taste profile.

M - The slightly higher carbonation level--compared to the bottled version--gave it a cleaner, less oily, mouthfeel, which I quite enjoyed.

D - Unreal. Perhaps the most dangerous drinkability of any high alcohol content beer I've ever had (with Bigfoot being a possible exception). If I did not know this was a 9% beer, I might have downed these all afternoon, until I fell off my stool in a coma.

2.71/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, this gives a 2 inch head that leaves some nice lacing. Hazy orange. Aroma - Piney hops, and some sweet malt, and some alcohol. Taste - just as promised by aroma - pine and alchohol and, most unfortuantely diacetyl. The various elements just did not integrate. Diacetyl makes it way too sweet, and the alcohol goes down like cheap vodka. Mouthfeel - full, moderate carbonation, alcohol burn, decent coating from hop oil. Drinkabilty - I did not like this and will avoid it.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a bright amber, darker than the 60 Minute but not too dark, clear with a thin head. Aroma is bright and floral, dry herbal hops, a little sweeter than dry hops, juicy, a little more malt, a slight alcoholic presence.

Taste is rich and floral hops, pale malt, bitter and quite untraditional in the style of IPAs. Slightly sweet, citrusy, earthy, light body, good balance with a dry finish. Characteristic herbally DFH flavor profile.

Medium mouthfeel, moderately drinkable with an oily nature and a slight bitter sting on the tongue along with the aftertaste. A very unique taste that would place it more as a light barleywine than a strong IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Really looked forward to this one, now time to try it and review it. Pours out to a rich golden amber color with a lively head of whitish orange foam. Solid lacing and a medium to medium low level of carbonation. Aromas of hops, hops and more hops. Very nice. Notes of citrus, pine, hops, a touch of sweet spices and herbs. Taste was pure hops. Flavors were laced with thick citrus and pine notes, drenched with hops and a mild burn of alcohol. Nice. This is a hop heads dream come true. Mouthfeel was nice and oily, just the way a good DIPA should be. Very slick, and slightly thick. Drinkability is good. I wouldn't have more than one at a time, but this is a solid beer. Highly Recommended. I'm scared to think of what the 120 could do...

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

90 Minute pours a beautiful orangish amber, with plenty of clarity. Begins with a nice white fluffy head which recedsand leaves an attractive lacing on the glass.

I dream about this smell. A perfect balance of sweet citrus hops and malts. The smell is a very inviting sweet and bitter smell.

The taste is a very solidly balanced combination or citrusy hops and malty sweetness. A light effervesence from the carbonation, which makes it feel like the flavor literally dances a cross your tounge and down your throat.
The mouhfeel is a thick, but without being syrupy.
The finish is a long decrescendo of cirtus hops and malts. The taste ever so slowly fades from your palette in a way that makes you want more.

Overall, I love this beer. It's hoppy without being overpowering sweet without being cloying and thick without being syrupy. It feels very decadent, but is still a solidly crafted and tasteful beer. I dream about this beer. In my opinion, its the best Imperial IPA on the East Coast.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

I did i really spend 12 bucks on a 4 pack? Jesus christ I am poor but I just had to. Hype gets to me. This poured a gorgeous deep orange golden color wit an awesome creamy beige head, very soft and cratery. Abundance of lacing. The aroma is piney and floral. The malt is there but the hops dominate. Lots of hop oily goodness. The mouthfeel is nice, really slick and smooth. It coats your mouth similar to brooklyn east ipa. This is so drinkable! The alcohol is not tasteable. Now this was expensive and I would take a bear racer 5 over this anyday but this is still a great beer. Just not sure why it is so raved about, i was expecting jesus juice.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

90 Minute is a dark copper color with lost of carbonation. Large head is creamy and thick. Aroma is of a strong, pungent citrissy hop with an enticing underlying sweetness. For flavor the strong, fresh citrissy hop flavors are first noticed and pack quite a wallop, but the delicious underlying malt flavors are what makes this an exemplorary beer. Bitterness is high, but not as bracing as expected. Anyway, 90 Minute is one of the best beers that I've sampled in a while, there's just so much juicy hop flavor to enjoy here and an excellent malt base. Complexity is high and the flavors have many interesting nuances. Very highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper in color with bronze and slight orange hues. Little to no head that quickly becomes a ring. Superb lacing, but I expected nothing less.
S: Incredibly aromatic. Great scents of citrus, rind and pine with slight floral and fruity sweetness. Some bread flavors as well as medicinal scents. Just smells plain fresh.
T: Wow! Tons of malt and hops! Let's start with the hoppy side. Citrus, rind, and piney hop flavors. Definate oily hop flavors that are offset with a malty sweetness. I didn't expect the malt to be this sweet, but it definately was. Malty, sweet bread with slight roasted and caramel flavors. Couldn't decide if the big hops were fighting with the malty sweetness or if they were working together to provide my senses with a balanced, hugely flavored brew. Alcohol warmth present at the end, but only slightly.
MF: Chewy and finishes semi-dry.
Overall: A fantastic brew that will impress beer lovers everywhere. A great DIPA and one that deserves a permanent place in my fridge.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottled 3/2/06....

Beer pours a cloudy orange-bronze color with a creamy 1" head that becomes a 1/4" white cap, and laces with the best of 'em. Aroma is mostly hoppy, floral, and piney. Taste blows me away. Hops are noticed first, then a sweet malt flavor follows, alcohol bites just a bit at the finish. Light carbonation with a medium-thick mouthfeel. Much more balanced then what I was expecting. Between the Dogfish IPA's, this one gets my vote as the best, mainly because of it's balance.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

One year old bottle: Open the bottle for a big malty smell. Malty, malty, malty! I poured it into a narrpw pilsener glass for some odd reason, but that let me see its copper body with golden highlights, under a bubbly head. The taste is sticky; any sweeter and it’d be beer candy. Then I noticed the nice American IPA hop bill sliding in nice and gently, until it demonstrates it’s every bit the match of the oversized malt profile. Total impression is of a hoppy young barleywine. I hadn’t realized this was an Imperial IPA. I’ll have to see if I can celler my remaining bottles. Still, glad to have had a relatively fresh one, so I could catch the hops before they fade out.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from bottle into DFH's cool glass. Excellent head and a deep orange color. The aroma is in your face Kind Bud HOPS. 90IBU. Piney and citrusy. The taste has strong hop presence that works with the sweet malt to hide the 9%ABV well. The beer seems full-bodied with great carbonation. One of my favorites.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

This was a big surprise for me last night when i went sampling a bit at my local pub. I liked it for it's 9% and great overall appeal... with a few hindrances aside I'll definitely order it again.

Not that it matters, but the bottle is great in that it comically hints at the explosive taste and experience it is to drink this Dogfish.
It pours a beautiful dark amber color, somewhat like a strongly brewed iced tea. The cream colored head rises and fades away into a lace on the glass. It's scent is a lot like a fig's, very hopsy (obviously).
Here it comes, the first swig bombards you with the taste. Very balanced indeed, with the citrus flavors predominating initially, followed by strong alcoholic bite, but not overwhelming. The aftertaste disappears quickly, which is good, for a bite of such potency would not be enjoyable over long periods, just in shots. So much fun... The entire glass drank very easily, and to be perfectly honest left me a little tipsy. I know, I'm a lightweight.

Highly recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

A tangerine coloured brew with a giant head that sneaks out the edges of my snifter. The bouquet is full of citrus and cinnamon--a nice combo to be sure. This beer's defining characteristic is its balance--the flavor is the perfect match of initial bitterness with a malt backing that makes it feel smooth and easy to enjoy (in some ways, it's this malty backing that I've always found lacking in the DH 60 Minute).

In addition to the understated bitterness, the flavor is a solid mix of caramel, cinnamon, citrus, and a subtle yet defined alcohol presence.

The balance makes this taste deceptively drinkable--way too easy to take down for its ABV. Overall, this is a mild, and nicely flavored double IPA. Definitely worth a look.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery