90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,828 | Ratings: 15,217
2.71/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, this gives a 2 inch head that leaves some nice lacing. Hazy orange. Aroma - Piney hops, and some sweet malt, and some alcohol. Taste - just as promised by aroma - pine and alchohol and, most unfortuantely diacetyl. The various elements just did not integrate. Diacetyl makes it way too sweet, and the alcohol goes down like cheap vodka. Mouthfeel - full, moderate carbonation, alcohol burn, decent coating from hop oil. Drinkabilty - I did not like this and will avoid it.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a bright amber, darker than the 60 Minute but not too dark, clear with a thin head. Aroma is bright and floral, dry herbal hops, a little sweeter than dry hops, juicy, a little more malt, a slight alcoholic presence.

Taste is rich and floral hops, pale malt, bitter and quite untraditional in the style of IPAs. Slightly sweet, citrusy, earthy, light body, good balance with a dry finish. Characteristic herbally DFH flavor profile.

Medium mouthfeel, moderately drinkable with an oily nature and a slight bitter sting on the tongue along with the aftertaste. A very unique taste that would place it more as a light barleywine than a strong IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Really looked forward to this one, now time to try it and review it. Pours out to a rich golden amber color with a lively head of whitish orange foam. Solid lacing and a medium to medium low level of carbonation. Aromas of hops, hops and more hops. Very nice. Notes of citrus, pine, hops, a touch of sweet spices and herbs. Taste was pure hops. Flavors were laced with thick citrus and pine notes, drenched with hops and a mild burn of alcohol. Nice. This is a hop heads dream come true. Mouthfeel was nice and oily, just the way a good DIPA should be. Very slick, and slightly thick. Drinkability is good. I wouldn't have more than one at a time, but this is a solid beer. Highly Recommended. I'm scared to think of what the 120 could do...

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

90 Minute pours a beautiful orangish amber, with plenty of clarity. Begins with a nice white fluffy head which recedsand leaves an attractive lacing on the glass.

I dream about this smell. A perfect balance of sweet citrus hops and malts. The smell is a very inviting sweet and bitter smell.

The taste is a very solidly balanced combination or citrusy hops and malty sweetness. A light effervesence from the carbonation, which makes it feel like the flavor literally dances a cross your tounge and down your throat.
The mouhfeel is a thick, but without being syrupy.
The finish is a long decrescendo of cirtus hops and malts. The taste ever so slowly fades from your palette in a way that makes you want more.

Overall, I love this beer. It's hoppy without being overpowering sweet without being cloying and thick without being syrupy. It feels very decadent, but is still a solidly crafted and tasteful beer. I dream about this beer. In my opinion, its the best Imperial IPA on the East Coast.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

I did i really spend 12 bucks on a 4 pack? Jesus christ I am poor but I just had to. Hype gets to me. This poured a gorgeous deep orange golden color wit an awesome creamy beige head, very soft and cratery. Abundance of lacing. The aroma is piney and floral. The malt is there but the hops dominate. Lots of hop oily goodness. The mouthfeel is nice, really slick and smooth. It coats your mouth similar to brooklyn east ipa. This is so drinkable! The alcohol is not tasteable. Now this was expensive and I would take a bear racer 5 over this anyday but this is still a great beer. Just not sure why it is so raved about, i was expecting jesus juice.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

90 Minute is a dark copper color with lost of carbonation. Large head is creamy and thick. Aroma is of a strong, pungent citrissy hop with an enticing underlying sweetness. For flavor the strong, fresh citrissy hop flavors are first noticed and pack quite a wallop, but the delicious underlying malt flavors are what makes this an exemplorary beer. Bitterness is high, but not as bracing as expected. Anyway, 90 Minute is one of the best beers that I've sampled in a while, there's just so much juicy hop flavor to enjoy here and an excellent malt base. Complexity is high and the flavors have many interesting nuances. Very highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper in color with bronze and slight orange hues. Little to no head that quickly becomes a ring. Superb lacing, but I expected nothing less.
S: Incredibly aromatic. Great scents of citrus, rind and pine with slight floral and fruity sweetness. Some bread flavors as well as medicinal scents. Just smells plain fresh.
T: Wow! Tons of malt and hops! Let's start with the hoppy side. Citrus, rind, and piney hop flavors. Definate oily hop flavors that are offset with a malty sweetness. I didn't expect the malt to be this sweet, but it definately was. Malty, sweet bread with slight roasted and caramel flavors. Couldn't decide if the big hops were fighting with the malty sweetness or if they were working together to provide my senses with a balanced, hugely flavored brew. Alcohol warmth present at the end, but only slightly.
MF: Chewy and finishes semi-dry.
Overall: A fantastic brew that will impress beer lovers everywhere. A great DIPA and one that deserves a permanent place in my fridge.

Bottled 3/2/06....

Beer pours a cloudy orange-bronze color with a creamy 1" head that becomes a 1/4" white cap, and laces with the best of 'em. Aroma is mostly hoppy, floral, and piney. Taste blows me away. Hops are noticed first, then a sweet malt flavor follows, alcohol bites just a bit at the finish. Light carbonation with a medium-thick mouthfeel. Much more balanced then what I was expecting. Between the Dogfish IPA's, this one gets my vote as the best, mainly because of it's balance.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

One year old bottle: Open the bottle for a big malty smell. Malty, malty, malty! I poured it into a narrpw pilsener glass for some odd reason, but that let me see its copper body with golden highlights, under a bubbly head. The taste is sticky; any sweeter and it’d be beer candy. Then I noticed the nice American IPA hop bill sliding in nice and gently, until it demonstrates it’s every bit the match of the oversized malt profile. Total impression is of a hoppy young barleywine. I hadn’t realized this was an Imperial IPA. I’ll have to see if I can celler my remaining bottles. Still, glad to have had a relatively fresh one, so I could catch the hops before they fade out.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Poured from bottle into DFH's cool glass. Excellent head and a deep orange color. The aroma is in your face Kind Bud HOPS. 90IBU. Piney and citrusy. The taste has strong hop presence that works with the sweet malt to hide the 9%ABV well. The beer seems full-bodied with great carbonation. One of my favorites.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

This was a big surprise for me last night when i went sampling a bit at my local pub. I liked it for it's 9% and great overall appeal... with a few hindrances aside I'll definitely order it again.

Not that it matters, but the bottle is great in that it comically hints at the explosive taste and experience it is to drink this Dogfish.
It pours a beautiful dark amber color, somewhat like a strongly brewed iced tea. The cream colored head rises and fades away into a lace on the glass. It's scent is a lot like a fig's, very hopsy (obviously).
Here it comes, the first swig bombards you with the taste. Very balanced indeed, with the citrus flavors predominating initially, followed by strong alcoholic bite, but not overwhelming. The aftertaste disappears quickly, which is good, for a bite of such potency would not be enjoyable over long periods, just in shots. So much fun... The entire glass drank very easily, and to be perfectly honest left me a little tipsy. I know, I'm a lightweight.

Highly recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

A tangerine coloured brew with a giant head that sneaks out the edges of my snifter. The bouquet is full of citrus and cinnamon--a nice combo to be sure. This beer's defining characteristic is its balance--the flavor is the perfect match of initial bitterness with a malt backing that makes it feel smooth and easy to enjoy (in some ways, it's this malty backing that I've always found lacking in the DH 60 Minute).

In addition to the understated bitterness, the flavor is a solid mix of caramel, cinnamon, citrus, and a subtle yet defined alcohol presence.

The balance makes this taste deceptively drinkable--way too easy to take down for its ABV. Overall, this is a mild, and nicely flavored double IPA. Definitely worth a look.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Man, what a beer. Pours clear with a quickly dissipating head. A steady stream of bubbles rise from the center of my Duvel glass. Smells of citrus, flowers and pine. MMM tastes of bubblegum, massive hops with some balancing malt towards the end. Slick mouthfeel with the oils coating my entire mouth reminging me of the blast just given me. Drinkability, well my buds are already numbing at mid-glass don't know if I could have another right after, but worth the wait till the next time...

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Dogfish Head never seems to disappoint and the 90 minute IPA is no exception. I picture DFH as one of those "Old School" companies that just gets back to basics in everything they do. And they listen to what we want as consumers.

90 minute is just an outstanding DIPA that tuly lives up to its hype. Poured into a pint glass, the color is so clear amber with a thin white head. ABV is present in the nose, but still the citrusy hops overwhelm.

Good balance of carbonation in the mouth which makes the cascade hops explode. WHAT???? NO MALT???....good.

Mouthfeel is just terrific and this truly is a tasty beer. But go easy on 'em. Thanks be to heaven that it's only a 4-pack.

I bow to you, DFH....truly I'm not worthy of such a fine, fine product.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Great beer. This is one of the best versions of the double IPA I have had. Nice clarity, bightness and carbonation. Does not appear to be bottle conditioned. Nice citrus/floral aroma. Smells like Cascade or maybe Amarillo hops. Lots of malty caramel notes, which I think are well balanced with the hop bitterness. The mouthfeel might be lacking just a bit but I really do like this beer.

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

This was second beer I had from a pack my friend brought over. I'm reviewing the beer again because the first time I reviewed this the beer wasn't chilled enough to start and I think that affected the tasting experience.

The beer poured a nice orange/amber with a thick half-inch head. It left nice lacing on the glass all the way down.

Lots of hops in the aroma. Grapefruit, pine. Pretty strong, but not as strong as other Double IPAs I've tried.

The taste was surprising. There was quite a bit of malt presence, to the point of really seeming out of place for this beer. I would have liked it better with a lot less malt. The beer seemed very unbalanced to me.

I didn't care for the mouthfeel of this beer. It was too syrupy. I don't mind thick beers if they are doppelbocks or stouts, but not in a Double IPA. The high ABV left a nice warming feeling, but it was hard getting past the strange comination of hops and malt that didn't seem to go together well.

Overall, I probably wouldn't purchase any more of this beer. I'm not normally a big Double IPA fan anyway, but this one came highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

My First Review!

12 oz. bottle. Freshness date stamped on bottle 2-17-06
Poured into a wine goblet

Poured a deep golden/burnt orange color, very clear with minimal carbonation and little head (too conservative a pour?)

The nose was quite different than I had expected, a lot of ripe mango and peach, with just a touch of the citrus that I usually associate with an IPA.

As soon as this brew hits your lips, it's hops (good thing). The flavor is nicely complex, first the hops attack your senses with a citrusy smack, followed by a nice malty sweetness that tries to poke through, only to be beaten back by the hops again.

The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and the finish is long. Hop oils dance around on your tongue for an eternity.

This is an excellent beer. It's rather complex for an IPA, although it's very hoppy (as expected) there is a nice interplay between various flavors to make you want to keep coming back for more. Because of the high ABV, I couldn't imagine having too many of these in a sitting, but it would sure be fun trying!

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into my glass with a huge thick whipped cream looking head. Tons of sticky lacing around every part of the glass. It's color is a hazey golden orange type color.
Big hoppy kick right in front with lots of orange peel and other citrusy notes. Nice sweet maltiness there too but not nearly as prevelant as the pungent but pleansant hoppiness.
Nice big sweet hoppy punch right up front, again with lots of cirtus flavors wrapped by hints of spice. There is quite a nice malt balance that is sweet and biscuit like.
Fairly slick mouthfeel and is nice and has a medium bodied feel.
This beer is very drinkable for 9%abv, almost too easy to drink. In my opinion this is one of the best beers that dogfish head brews.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

One of the best IPA'a I have ever had. Poured up a nice clear dusky color. Thick 2 finger head that disipated in approx. 5 minutes to a thin lacy layer that coated the glass with each drink.

Smelled sweet and hoppy. First taste was wow. Thick malty body with little hop flavor at first taste that exploded with big hoppy middle and finish. Finished clean and crisp. Will keep it in the beer fridge as the bench mark of all IPA's

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

finally got around to trying this one, i love the 2IPA style and this seems to be the standard.

beer pours a clear amber with a large white head. surprised by the clarity here, many douple ipas are cloudy. nice looking beer though.

smell is grapefruit - american hops to the extreme, very little else is noticable to me.

taste - again with the grapefruit, typical cascade hop flavor, also a bit of malt and an alcohol burn in the finish.

mouthfeel is fantastic, smooth and creamy.

drinkability is low becasue of high alc. content.

overall, this is certainly a good beer, however, i was a bit disappointed by the hop profile, i prefer a bit less grapefruity hops, i think other double IPA's are much better. but, a very good beer nonetheless.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

The one and a half hour IPA just doesn't have the same ring to it. Pours a mostly cloudy amber to orangey color with light tan hues throughout. A good white frothy head that left good lacing and stayed throughout the tasting.

The smell is tantalizing hoppy with good malt backing. A good bitterness is more dominate with a subtle citrus but mostly pine essence. The malt has some stronger caramel qualities.

The taste is very well balanced, both in hops and malt. The hops are the biggest characteristic with really good balance. The bittering hop is noticeable but not too much of an infringement. This is mixed well through the taste with a good piney finish from the aromatic hops. All of this then is blended with a more then noticeable caramel flavor from the malt. The caramel flavor is more noticeable at the end with the aroma hops.

The body is mid to full. As the beer warms, more flavor is noticeable. As is the malt taste with the adjustment of the mouth to the hoppy taste. The 9% isn't really noticeable at all (or at least until later) as everything is so balanced out. Overall this is one of my favorite beers.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle poured into glass.

Pours a peachy color with orange hues. Nice translucent clarity and a small off-white cap that dissapeared fast. Left very faint lacings on surface and sides. Aroma was wonderful with citrus hops, malts, yeast, and "earthy" spice notes. The alcohol was apparent in nose, but not too strong. Tasted very sweet, almost syrupy. However, clinches down with a very nice grapefuit and citrus hop bite. The carbonation was just right and finished dry, but left a refreshing fruity aftertaste. I will definitely enjoy this again very soon! In fact I had planned to give one of the bottles out the four pack I bought to a friend of mine....nevermind. I'll wait till I have more to spare.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

I've been up and down on this one, but now I'm up. Here goes:

Bottle, aged in my fridge for about 3 months. Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Beautiful thick head, cloudy amber colour. Laces well.

Smells like hops and alcohol, It pomises a hop hit and alchol esters. Kinda piney.

Taste. Slightly sweet, slightly citrus, very hoppy, malty, and full of the alcohol promise hinted at by the scent. Good to great.

Mouthfeel. Mmmm. 'Nuff said. But if you twist my arm, I'd say it's silky, milky, and smooth.

Drinkability. Well, it is a bit harsh. That is to say, it's strong and doesn't let you forget it. That said, it''s goes down smooth, and I'm 3/4 the way through a Four-pack. I will be finishing it tonihgt, too.

Overall, you can do much, much worse than this one. I do suggest you let it age for a bit first.

Bottom line: top notch. Highly recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

I don't know how I've never got around to reviewing this one, I've probably had more than 100 90 minute IPAs in my time. My sample is from a 12oz bottle with no born on or best by date. My two favorite characteristics of this beer are the smell and the taste. Piney sweetness is the best way I can desribe the taste. I've introduced this one to a few of my BMC drinking friends who loved this as well. My favorite offering from DFH.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Just poured from a growler I purchased last night at the brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.
Pours a beautiful copper color with minimal head. I believe this is becuase it is from a growler rather than on-tap or bottled as both of them have a nice head. Also, lacing is nowhere to be seen, which is different from the many other times I have had this.
The smell is all about hops. Very piney, some grapefruit with a bit of caramel malt.
Absolutely delicious! This is one of the best Double IPAs I have ever had. You taste the bitterness from the hops all the way through. There's some sweetness in the middle, but the hops shine again as you swallow. Excellent mouthfeel. Sturdy. Not as much "tingle" as other DIPAs.
The abv may not make this a wise choice for if you're looking to down a 12 pack, but, if you're looking for a hoppy brew to enjoy, this is it. One of my top 3 DIPAs.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery