90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,848 | Ratings: 15,314
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

(Note: this was mistakenly filed under 120 Minute IPA for a week...a definite mistake on my end!)

Pours a dark orange/brown. A little darker than most IPA's, but still too dark to be in the "oktoberfest" range.
Smell is hoppy and sweet. Piney, but with fruit.
Flavor is actually quite complex. Hops hit you a t first, but then it blends into a little bit of grain, then a wave of sweetness, and finally the hops finish things bitter, but dry.
Mouthfeel is solid. Just right for a warm day. Not too thick, but not so thin that the flavor doesn't keep up. There's also a nice head that sticks around.
Drinkability is limited by your tolerance and how used to high BV brews you are. It's nearly 10%, but it's not so obvious that you'd notice right away.
One of my favorite DIPA's. Sometimes this style can be a little too much, but this is a definite winner.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours cloudy amber with a thick, off-white head. Great retention. Super hop aromas but no ttoo overpowering. Very intense sweetness of grapefruit aroma with grassy undertones. DELICIOUS!!! Fantastic balance of hops and malt. Goes down easy for such a big beer. I tried not to compare this with the 60 minute which I also tasted this night and evaluate it on it's own. The extra half-hour does wonders for this beer.

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Beautiful copper color with 2+ fingers of off-white head. Bubbles gently rising to the surface. No murkiness or cloudiness to be found. Lacing clings to the glass like Gollum to The Ring (I’m a dork, I know).

S: Refreshingly crisp hop scent in the nose balanced well with a sweet malt odor. Hops are very enjoyable with hints of floral smells.

T: B-A-L-A-N-C-E-D. Expecting a hop-based kick in the balls, but it is incredibly balanced. There are hops up front, then a gorgeous, sweet malt flavor, and it finishes clean with a slightly hoppy finish. Pleasant aftertaste that begs for me to take another sip.

M: Nice body. Not too thick but not watery. Exactly what I want out of my beer.

D: Could drink all night except for the alcohol content. Does not taste like 9%, but it can be felt after a few drinks.

Notes: Wow! Unfortunately this beer costs $10.99 for a 4 pack where I shop. If not, I would drink this non-stop. I love it. It makes me want to become famous so that I can get an endorsement deal. In the past year I have sampled 300+ different beers and this is in my top 5. Dogfish Head 4 Life!

Appearance -- Filtered, light-orange appearance. About a one finger, clean white head, that diminishes rapidly and leaves a skim on top of the beer. Watery lacing.

Smell -- Smells like cereal malts. I purchased a four-pack in November '05 and this is my last bottle. It could be due to this beer's age why I smell an overwhelming amount of malt rather than hops. It's still a pleasant aroma.

Taste -- A malty sweetness followed by slightly bitter hops at the back of the tongue. I'm sure the age of the beer has a lot to do with the diminished hop flavor. Quite mellow . . . and smooth.

Mouthfeel -- Medium, creamy mouthfeel. The finish leaves a pleasant bitterness in the back of the mouth and tongue.

Drinkability -- Good drinkability. I'd be fine with just one or two during a session. They have the tendency to sneak up on you if you aren't careful. This beer ages well, but I cannot wait to pick up some of it fresh. Recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A wonderful IPA. At 9%, it is difficult to spendand entire evening with this beer... but when it is fresh from the tap.. ooh my. It is normally served into a snifter with a copper color and a mild head of meadium sized bubbles. The aroma hits you right in the olfactory system...BANG! Theres the hops. The flavor follows the intense aroma and the bitterness lingers in the back of the throat. The only thing you can think of after taking a swallow of this beer is.. I'm still thirsty, I want some more.
Not something I would search out after a long run in the summer, but when I have time to sit and enjoy a beer, this is one that makes me smile and I enjoy to the end.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Coppery in color with a good amount of head on it. Served in a pilsner glass and the head formed around the top of the glass.

Smell: Lots of hoppy aroma and malt. Hoppy, yet smooth.

Taste: Sweet and citrusy with a good amount of hops -- lots of it.

Drinkability: Very very good. Will have another. Can actually have a couple a night if you want.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours a beautiful amber gold with a huge while head that laces and holds fantastically all the way down the beer. The smell is all hops. Mostly a grapefruit aroma but some floral aromas as well. The taste is fantastic. A wonderful mix of mainly citrusy grapefruit flavor from the hops mixed in with some subtle floral tastes and balanced beautifully with some pale malts. This beer is extreamly thick with a good carbonation. Overall I would love to drink this everyday. This is exactly what I want out of a beer.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice copper in color. Smooth creamy white head with lots of tiny bubbles. Minimal lacing. Strong citrusy hop smell, a slight floral scent and a hint alcohol. Also got a strange scent of maybe tree bark. Can't exactly pin that one down. Taste starts off with a bang of hops. Then mellows as it goes down. I get a tiny warming sensation as it goes down from the alcohol. Although it does not have an alcohol taste.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

2 finger froth-monster settled to one after a couple minutes laving lacing as it faded. Surprisingly thick foamy head for something with this high of an ABV.

Lotsa hops in the aroma, also some pine, floral, and a hint of malt. i can tell from the aroma that this will be my nightcapper tonight.

Real good one here. Very balanced for 9%, great flavor, mouthfeel etc. not much more to say, just gonna enjoy this one....

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to the eminent maltygoodness.

Pours a nice yellow/orange color. OK head and lacing with an amazing amout of carbonation.

I can never get enough of that great AIPA pine smell but this beer gets close. It delivers a ton of pine smell from the second you pop the cap. It does mellow with time and gets covered a little by the heavy amount of malt and high alchohol.

The malt really starts to show itself at the first sip. This beer has a balance that a lot of doubles don't have. The malt is not candy sweet but is definately present and balances nicely with the bitterness from the heavy dose of hops. You never forget that the hops is there though.

The alcohol is present but not in an obtrusive way. No killer aftertaste of too sweet or bitter, I would say just right. Being the Double IPA that I think I've liked the best this gets good marks on drinkability. While I've appreciated some other double's for what they are, the sweetness normally drives me away from really seaking them out again but i could see going back to this one.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Lurid orange body with a creamy milkshake head. Aroma is astringent and oxidizing, consisting of pine, orange peals, and lemon oil. Devilishly hopped but with a sweet malt front. Finishes dry and light, leaving a slightly burning citrusy aftertaste. Medium bodied, creamy yet biting. Excellent mouthfeel. Strong IPA.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Served out of a bottle in a Lagunitas pint glass. Many thanks to Wingnutter for the trade.

This beer poured leaving a 1.5 finger head that dissipated fairly quickly, leaving a nice amount of lacing in the glass. Color is deep amber and transparent. Smell is of hops and fruit. Much sweeter smell than I was expecting and very nice. Upon first sip, the hops make their presense known, but are quickly followed my the sweet malts that the nose first finds. Very balanced for such a srong beer. Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Feels nice. Drinkability, well, it's only drawback is the 9.0 abv. The taste will certainly leave you wanting another.

Overall, very good IPA. Note to the the DFH people: Please start distributing in California! I'd like to get this stuff regularly.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle bought in a 4-pack. Bottle says "Bottled on 1/10/06."

A - light golden, deep straw color. Forms a small little bright white head, that disipates a little but hangs around in a thin layer the whole way. Leaves very nice lacing.

S - rich, deep, sweet malt aroma. Smells a little cotton candy-ish, followed by tangy, citrusy, pungent hop aroma. Little bit of alcohol in there, as well. Smells like a hoppy barleywine almost. Aroma of orange rind, pears.

T - Malty tart sweetness, followed by strong citrus/NW american hop flavor. Grapefruits. Heavy malt sweetness - toffee, smoke - balanced out by forceful bitterness and tasty tangy, fruity, citrusy, juicy hop flavor. Very nice balance here. Alcohol well masked.

M - medium bodied. A bit chewy. Tart, dry hop bitterness makes you pucker.

D - very, very tasty brew. Alcohol content makes this prohibitive to consume in large quantities, but an extremely flavorful, rich beer.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear copper color with a slight head.

Smell: What a great aroma, hoppy and fruity.

Taste: I had very high expectations for this double IPA. Having high expectations normally lets me down but not this beer. The taste was amazingly hoppy and sweet at the same time. I have never had such a mixture of sweetness along with incredible hops. I could tell the alcohol was there but there was nothing overwhelming about it.

Mouthfeel: Nice body to it, not as crisp as many IPA's but I expect that comes from the extra time involved here. A great change from the much more crisp IPA.

Drinkability: While I could drink a few of these in an evening, I find this beer to be a bit too good to throw back an entire 4 pack in one sitting. I drank two and saved the other two.

One of the best offerings I have had from Dogfish. I will certainly buy again and again.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Surprisngly light copper color, head is retentive and slow fading, settling to a thick collar around the glass.

Smell: Hops. Stinky, floral, minty, relentless hops. Lightly carmely malts are in the background, but the minty aspect of the hops really shine through. Smells fantastic.

Taste: Maltier and more well balanced than I was expecting. The bready malts are really enhanced by how strong the hops are in the beginning of the flavor. The second half of the flavor is pure hoppiness. Tongue ripping, juicy hops. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Slick at first, then a sharpness provided by the alcohol and carbonation.

Drinkability: A very good Double IPA, a different one, also. Maybe one of the maltiest DIPAs I have ever tried.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recently found this sold in 4-packs in a few liquor stores around Chicago...

Serving Type: 12 fl. oz. bottle, poured into a generic IKEA chalice.

Appearance: Deep burnt orange with a coppery head that dissipated into a thin lace about a minute after the initial pour.

Smell: Vaguely fruity and quite appetizing.

Taste: Extreme hop bitterness, as expected. Maybe some peaches in the finish?

Mouthfeel: Supple, but not quite chewy. Really zings you with bitterness but is not overpowering.

Drinkability: An absolutely delicious beer that forces you to respect it. There's no trace of the 9% abv at any point, so it would be pretty dangerous as a session beer. This is by far the best Imperial IPA I have tasted so far. Congrats, Dogfish Head, on this superb, hoppy delight.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I was afraid of this at first but the Mike Brawley of Brawley's beverage talked me into it. I really like barleywines and he told me to think of it as a friend of the barleywine. After drinking Bigfoot I saw what he ment.

This is a unique beer. The imperial IPA has an amber color, with a very thin white head that disappears quickly, but leaves a lacing around the glass.
the smell is very hoppy with a slight fruit or floral note, and a the sweetness of malt.
I am not normally an IPA fan, but this beer is different. It hits you right up front with the hops, but the body mellows with a nice malty taste(a very slight ting of fuit), but it finishes like a hoppy pale ale. The Malt definitely takes the edge off of the hopps that an IPA would normally have. With the high abv I would have expected more taste of alcohol, but it is not very noticeable.Balanced and smooth. Mouthfeel: this beer is thick, and almost chewy, but very enjoyable. I feel that I could drink this beer very often, and that is contrary to what I expected. I really wish I would have bought more of it. I won't make that mistake next time.

just for the record this was a 12oz bottle.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: medium-cool 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Deep amber, nearly orange body yet crystal clear (quite an accomplishment for this quantity of hops). Nice thick rocky head with an orangey tinge.

Aroma: Collosal hop bouquet, positively electrical (really! smells a little like ozone). Bright, bright fruity hops with tinges of lemons, grapefruit, apricot, maybe some pear even. Do I smell any malts? Not likely!

Taste & Mouthfeel: The great part about the way 90 minute tastes is that it's a multi-sensory experience. All of the aromas I can smell on the beer come through double in the sip, and also this broad-based, full tingly sensation that really wakes up the tongue. Meaty? Savory? Those sound disgusting in relation to beer, but I don't know how else to communicate the substantiality of the flavor and mouthfeel of this beer. It's definitely heavy-bodied, but anything less would collapse under all these hops. Alcohol is prominent but not overwhelming; a pleasant warmth.

Drinkability: The only downfall of the 90 minute - the huge hop flavor, syrupy body and high alcohol definitely make this a 1-serving beer. But I savor every sip!

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark golden color. Thick head with slight retention. Loads of lacing all the way down the glass. Smell is all HOP OIL! Also some leafy hops follow with a smooth malt balance. Taste is mostly hops as well. Good spicy hop flavor. Really thick yet smooth feel. Easy to drink. I wish I could get enough of this to drink all night. Thanks to Mike Brawley for carrying this gem!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked this up at Blanchard's Liquors in Brockton, as a single, though they have the 4-pack.

Pours a nice head, with a amber clear colour. The extreme aroma of hops can knock you on your ass.

The taste is crsip with hops, citrus and other floral highlights. The great hop taste stays with you long after you swallow.

As far as IPA's go, this is up there among the greats, at least in my own opinion. Don't drink this alone, at least if you get the big bottle. Haha

Cheers!

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

I must thank Mike Brawley in Charlotte for insisting I buy this beer by the 4-pack and not individually. yum!

Ok, out of the bottle into the glass... The beer poured a light copper color, clear. The carbonation was good, but I did not get much of a head. No worries.

The nose, on the other hand, was an explosion of hops, floral, crisp, resiny, and potent.

My palate enjoyed a delicious balance with these hops and the sweet malts. The flavors were grassy, yet smooth!

The finish, as well, was long and divine. The herbal flavors twisting and turning for minutes after each swallow. And speaking of, the carbonation was great, and thre mouthfeel properly viscuous.

This, believe it or not, was my first sampeling from the acclaimed Doghead Fish brewery. I am looking forward to more and more of this! My last impressions were that is would be a great beer for those who like barley wine, but who arn't into suicide. :)

Best,
~R

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Haven't had this one since I first started to enjoy good beer a couple years back. I remember not knowing what to think about this one. It was my first DIPA at the time...little did I know what it would eventually develop into.

Pours a perfect golden straw color. The body sparkles its so clear. White one inch head that slowly worked its way down leaving a rim of lace.

Aroma is quite unique, a virtual smorgasboard of individual hops all fight to be the first out of the glass. Lots of floral and grassy hops. Some noble varieties pick their way through as well. Biscuit malts round it out well. Lots of hops but seems to be balanced well.

Taste is almost exactly like the aroma. A bit of sweetness due to the alcohol comes through, but it blends in perfectly. Doesn't taste overly bitter though, but still loaded with hops. This is a DIPA I could really have all the time with no complaints. The typical west coast hop flavor is getting overdone, its nice to have something different.

Medium body mouthfeel. Coats well and slick on the tongue

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours a copperish color with an orange hue. Small head that leaves a bit of lace.

S: Aromas of orange, citrus, and floral hops with a background of yeasty malt.

T: Tastes of orange and floral hops with a slight background of malt. High alcohol level is noticeable as it warms your body on the way down. Bitterness is noticeable but only for a second. Tingly on the tounge. Nice tasting beer.

M & D: Mouthfeel is pretty damn good on this offering from dogfish. It's a perfect mesh of the 120 and the 60. Still very hoppy like the 60 but not the high alcohol that the 120 has. Drinkability is also pretty high as it goes down very smooth. Full bodied DIPA. Exactly what a double should be like.

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Got the 90 minute IPA at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Pours a bronze color with 3/4" inch head.

Smell: not much here, some hops, almost a wine smell

Taste: I'm not that impressed, especially for some of the hype this beer receives. I couldn't taste much hops. Definitely tasted the alcohol. Too strong for my liking. Had almost a wine flavor.

Mouthfeel: decent

Drinkability: not good, didn't want another one after i finished it, too strong on the alcohol.

I would like to try another of these in a few months, maybe I got a bad one...

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Sampled on draft at the alehouse today in Gaithersburg. Pret

Hazy brown tinged orange with a off kilter tan head. Limited retention, but excellent lacing from a sticky ring that wouldn't go away.

Loads o'hops on the aroma, with some definite citrus and pine

They have the great hop dominance here that one would expect, but what really sets this one off is the hefty malts backing it up and keeping it honest.

Smooth and creamy with just enough carbonation to get it down faster. I could drink many of these...

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery