90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,828 | Ratings: 15,217
4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

I must thank Mike Brawley in Charlotte for insisting I buy this beer by the 4-pack and not individually. yum!

Ok, out of the bottle into the glass... The beer poured a light copper color, clear. The carbonation was good, but I did not get much of a head. No worries.

The nose, on the other hand, was an explosion of hops, floral, crisp, resiny, and potent.

My palate enjoyed a delicious balance with these hops and the sweet malts. The flavors were grassy, yet smooth!

The finish, as well, was long and divine. The herbal flavors twisting and turning for minutes after each swallow. And speaking of, the carbonation was great, and thre mouthfeel properly viscuous.

This, believe it or not, was my first sampeling from the acclaimed Doghead Fish brewery. I am looking forward to more and more of this! My last impressions were that is would be a great beer for those who like barley wine, but who arn't into suicide. :)

Best,
~R

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Haven't had this one since I first started to enjoy good beer a couple years back. I remember not knowing what to think about this one. It was my first DIPA at the time...little did I know what it would eventually develop into.

Pours a perfect golden straw color. The body sparkles its so clear. White one inch head that slowly worked its way down leaving a rim of lace.

Aroma is quite unique, a virtual smorgasboard of individual hops all fight to be the first out of the glass. Lots of floral and grassy hops. Some noble varieties pick their way through as well. Biscuit malts round it out well. Lots of hops but seems to be balanced well.

Taste is almost exactly like the aroma. A bit of sweetness due to the alcohol comes through, but it blends in perfectly. Doesn't taste overly bitter though, but still loaded with hops. This is a DIPA I could really have all the time with no complaints. The typical west coast hop flavor is getting overdone, its nice to have something different.

Medium body mouthfeel. Coats well and slick on the tongue

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a copperish color with an orange hue. Small head that leaves a bit of lace.

S: Aromas of orange, citrus, and floral hops with a background of yeasty malt.

T: Tastes of orange and floral hops with a slight background of malt. High alcohol level is noticeable as it warms your body on the way down. Bitterness is noticeable but only for a second. Tingly on the tounge. Nice tasting beer.

M & D: Mouthfeel is pretty damn good on this offering from dogfish. It's a perfect mesh of the 120 and the 60. Still very hoppy like the 60 but not the high alcohol that the 120 has. Drinkability is also pretty high as it goes down very smooth. Full bodied DIPA. Exactly what a double should be like.

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Got the 90 minute IPA at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Pours a bronze color with 3/4" inch head.

Smell: not much here, some hops, almost a wine smell

Taste: I'm not that impressed, especially for some of the hype this beer receives. I couldn't taste much hops. Definitely tasted the alcohol. Too strong for my liking. Had almost a wine flavor.

Mouthfeel: decent

Drinkability: not good, didn't want another one after i finished it, too strong on the alcohol.

I would like to try another of these in a few months, maybe I got a bad one...

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Sampled on draft at the alehouse today in Gaithersburg. Pret

Hazy brown tinged orange with a off kilter tan head. Limited retention, but excellent lacing from a sticky ring that wouldn't go away.

Loads o'hops on the aroma, with some definite citrus and pine

They have the great hop dominance here that one would expect, but what really sets this one off is the hefty malts backing it up and keeping it honest.

Smooth and creamy with just enough carbonation to get it down faster. I could drink many of these...

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

A - A perfect crystal copper with a matching 2 finger "enduro" head. This is how a beer should look.

S - Grass Grass and more Grass. The hops are practically jumping out of the glass.

T - The grassy earth vibe continues here. Very similar to the 60 minute sister brew. The added ABV factor is present, but not overwhelming. A perfect influx of maltiness across the midrange leads to a range of mild sweetness (insert fruit adjectives here). The hops never really attack, but are always present with the best possible balance nonetheless.

M/D - The creamiest IPA I remember tasting. A smooth feel throughout lends to excellent drinkability. The overabundance of hops does not dry out and lead to a bitter finish, but instead creates a mellow afterglow. Very pleasant.

This is my new favorite IPA, and in my mind the ultimate session beer. I can't wait til summer (I'll be dripping with sweat 3 months straight) when this beer will be the ultimate refresher beverage.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

courtesy of giftofflavor

12ozer. poured a orangish brown with 1 finger head. lacing is pretty good on this one. smells of spice, malts, piney hints.

taste is incredible. very spicey, hoppy, raisiney, hoppy, salty, hoppy, very leafy, hoppy, citrusy, hoppy, and hoppy again. the hop oils are very impressive. the malts stand straight up in this guy. mouthfeel is very creamy, but when you breath, the alcohol in it seems to cleanse the palate. the drinkability on this is great, but the alcohol is definitely present here. i can't wait to get our idiotic state rules in alabama changed, because when we do, i will always have this guy stocked. plus dfh is a supporter of free the hops, so that makes the beer even more tastier.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

I finally broke down and paid the $10 a four pack (big mental barrier for me). Knew what to expect having had this at the GABF in 04

Pours light bronze with a creamy 1" white head. Settles down to a tight 1/8" head. Good head retention and lacing

Smell: Hopapollooza. Floral and fruity hops and then hint of maltiness vanish behind the hops

Taste: Much sweetness up front assailed by piney & fruity hops. Dryness, alcohol and fruitiness on the finish

Love the blance of this and carbonation is spot on

Super drinkable. I think the malt heft compliments the IBUs just right. Belies it's ABV. Nice reward after trying a few horrid ones (other breweries)last night... too good to deny myself

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. Looked very clear. Head retention was nice.

Smelled like very fresh hops, floral, mild citrusy.

Tasted very good. Almost remindes me the taste you get when I bury my head in a pile of hops. Or hop sampling. Nice smooth and big bubbly. The head kept releasing the nice pure hop smell. Not much but some intense hop oily traces. Very pure, this keg wasn't spoiled one bit. Nice solid feel. Very drinkable if you can stand up to the alcohol content.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

I wasn't sure if I was ready for this... In other words, I havn't fully developed that hops addiction that seems to be a prerequisite for enjoying a Double IPA and many IPAs (American at least). Regardless, I saw a single at the store and I went for it. 12 oz bottle dated 1/10/06 poured into a St. Bernardus Chalice/Oversize Wine Glass thingy.

A- Clear ruby orange/red. No head at all, and I poured it fairly aggressively. Bottle did let out quite the hiss when I popped the cap though. Decent amount of wispy thingies on top with slight carbo bubbles rising throughout.

S- Super F'n hops! I could smell them from the bottle at a distance. Don't be fooled though, these hops are well balanced by a floral/grassy scent.

T- Well, hoppy bitterness predominates but this brew has an astringent character that helps balance that out. Mmmmm.

M- Fairly crisp, but equally thick. Feels just right for this brew. Not to much carbonation or any other failures.

D- Superb (taste-wise). In other words the high ABV did not make its presense known and become something to gag on later in the beer. Nevertheless, I can definitely feel that 9% in me!

P.S. I am now addicted to hops.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a clear , deep bronze-orange with a bubbly off white head of about a half inch. Nice bands of lacing were left as i drank this hoppy treat. Taken to the nose , hops hit ya like booya beatch! Exellent herbal-green, floral, and fruity fresh smells , as well as a tinge of alcohol. Taste is equally as complex and fresh! Much hop bite , floral-citrus , pine, and a bit of alcohol, tad bit of raisin with a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is kinda creamy with a long lingering aftertaste. This American Double IPA is the best iv'e had so far. It is so drinkable for its ABV. Drinking one of these just makes me say outloud " Damn i love hops!" Exellent offering from Dogfish Head.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

I picked up a couple of these at a local craft beer store to review. I poured this beer into a glass chalice.

Pours a nut brown copper color in the glass and is clear. Lots of bubbles rising in the glass suggests a very effervescent beer. Two fingers of pure white head dissipates to a creamy thin film, which sticks to the side of the glass while drinking, and hangs around until the very end.

The smell is fairly strong and smells of fir, pine or some other evergreen, and citrus.

The taste is both sweet and bitter at the same time. There is a dominant citrus flavor, but also hints of mint or pine. There is an intense hoppy flavor after the swallow. The taste is a very complex combination and hard to describe.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, but a little thick and sticky.

This is a drinkable beer, with an excellent taste and aroma. With the higher ABV I can’t see myself drinking more than a couple of these in a sitting, but thoroughly enjoying them when I do.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%

After enjoying many bottles of dogfish head's 60 minute IPA I am glad to find some 90 minute imperial IPA to try!

Smell upon opening the bottle is like th tropical rainforest after a rain. Fresh and abundant in fruity citrus-like odors.

Poured it into a chalice and the head was sparkly with large bubbles. Color is a orange-bronze. Head dissapates quikly but lacing is very clinging. Smell in the glass is very sweet and earthy with citrus overtones. Taste is very sweet. Carbonation is lower than expected from the head witnessed, but sufficient. Very substancial flavor but the high ABV is not at all detectable. The mouthfeel is very smooth and the transition from sip to mouthful to finish is wonderful. The flavor seems to swirl in your mouth covering many different taste buds from citrus to dandelion.

Most definitely a very distinguished beer. A pleasure to quaff.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

HOLY HOPS!! Classic IPA! Decent lacing down the glass, very malty, and hoppy. Well balanced. Grapefruit and more grapefruit, washing down with the big hop flavor. Very amazing how drinkable it is considering the ABV. Very much recommended, just wish it came in 6 packs. I hate 4 packs!!

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz. bottle with a label that was made from this rough paper, not the usual smooth paper label. The front of the label had their symbol and info about the beer. No date on the back or side.

When I poured in into my Snifter , it came out this nice dark amber/orange color with just a little skim of foam at the top. The foam dissipated fast and left no signs of rings or lace around it. It dissipated so fast that I couldn't tell which color it was. It was more than likely white in color. It had a nice aroma of juicy fruits up front and with some citrus fruits, little malt, and a huge helping of hops at the end. The taste was pretty good. The taste had plenty of different kinds of fruits (too hard to tell which ones were in it), very little malt, and at the end, a very nice strong piny hops flavor. Just the right amount of hops at the end. The mouthfeel was kind of hoppy and I also noticed this slight alcohol aftertaste as well. Just what I would expect from a 9%ABV IPA. Drinkability? I wouldn't mind another one. A 4-pack could go a long ways for me.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer came in an oversized chubby tulip glass that was a glowing candy apple amber with a thin slightly tan film for a head. I didn’t care so much about the short head because the glass was filled right up to the brim.

Smells of maple syrup, and a dry cedar and spruce hop.

The malt base of this tastes like dark caramel and a mild marshmallow that is followed by a separate and distinct sharp grassy pine hop. Where the malt and hop intersect, there’s a momentary pineapple sourness. Finishes with a sour black liquorish and pine accompanied by some dry piney burps.

The mouth feel is medium body with a light carbonation that really fills up my mouth with an enticing over all thickness that helps deliver all of the flavors.

I find that in this beer, the way the malt and hop flavors stand at a distance and balance one another out is very impressive. This is way more intricate than when it’s in the bottle. Seek it out on tap for sure!

Found this on-tap ran through Randall The Enamel Animal at the DFH pub. That totally blew my freakin’ mind. Un-real! They used warrior hops and it turned ol’ 90 mn into a completely different creature. Sure, the hop tone got cranked up, but the mouth feel turned into pure silk. It felt dry (not tasted dry) on my tongue, and unbelievably smooth. I’m putting the drinkablity of the Randalized 90 mn somewhere around a 7. I think I may drive back to DFH just to try this again.

Seek this experience out at all costs!

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with very little head that quickly disappated. Shows a very pale caramel color in the glass, just shy of amber.

Aroma is dominated by hops, particulalry some west coast type of hops with huge alpha acids, such as simcoe or warrior. Very nice balance between citrus and floral aromas.

The palate of this beer I think has to be one of the best balanced imperial IPA's I've ever tasted. The first sip almost tastes like you're sucking on a hop cone, but by the end palate the hop presence is nicely rounded out into a malty finish.

A true winner here I believe. Loads of hops, lots of malt, and a sizeable dose of alcohol that hides itself well.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Have had this in bottles several times and on tap twice now at "Moan and Dove", and at "My Place" last night.
Beatiful orange amber color, clear , with a foamy tan head, which lowers to a film ,but stays.
Smells really nice; like a pineapple plantation thats next to a Christmas tree farm, hops are in your nose , bigtime, but also a little alcohol.
Tastes great....intense hop flavor which has almost no bitterness at first , alcohol , and sugar( just the right amount of both)...with a nice semi dry finish with some hop bitters coming through ...almost as an aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is nice ..medium to heavy...near perfect with the taste, low to medium carbonation.
Damn this is good stuff!
Drinkable...well , maybe have 2...but high ABV...??
60 min DFH is always in my fridge...always goes with food for me..but this 90 min is up a few notches into the ...sit , sip,smell, and ponder how great it is ...and every few minutes say..."Damn this is good stuff !!" to anyone who'll listen.
I've tasted some great DIPAs ...for me , this one is IT.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

This beer holds a special place in my heart as the drink that turned me on to just how good beer could be. I was in Denver, looking for a bottle of wine, and spotted the Dogfish selection. Recalling an unqualified recommendation I'd read online, I picked up a four pack. A year later, my love affair with micro-brews in general and the Dogfish Head Brewery in particular continues. Anytime I have this beer it brings back memories of that first wonderful glass.

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay goblet -- why not, I figured. First impression of this light amber colored beer is the bubbles; there are tons. They subside after a few minutes, but still provide enough bubbliciousness (sp?) to keep the head from disappearing. Lacing is spotty.

Smells like hops. Y'know, that grapefruit and slightly piney, grassy, sweet scent. This beer makes no attempt to hide what you're about to taste. Hops and lots of 'em.

Taste? Great! DFH 90 minute is an amazingly hoppy, smooth and carbonated beer. There's an initial hops rush, and a tingly, bubbly effervescence (I love using that word), followed by a light malt taste that fills the mouth. Finishes dry and warm, that's the 9% saying hello.

Mouthfeel is bubbly, smooth, coating, and dry. Very smooth in fact, this one almost jumps down your throat.

Drinkable? 9% aside, yes. I mean, it's not a "session" beer, but neither is so filling as to preclude you having another.

Bottom line, this is a hoppy, smooth beer and a fantastic Double IPA. Dogfish Head again shows why they're one of the top micros in the US.
I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like this beer. Drink if possible.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

There's nothing quite like a great craft beer from its proper pint glass - a lovely rounded contraption with a heavy base from DFH.

This pours a nice clear mahogany amber totally full of rising bubbles with a thick, rocky, gorgeous head that clings to the glass in total walls of white lacing. Yum yum yum. Very appealing.

It's hard to discern any malt prescence in the scent other than the fact that the scent is full and boisterous; The nose is all hop, hop all the way, to the core; The interesting thing to me is that the hop aromas in this are like nothing I've experienced so far; Instead of being pungently tangy and spicy like grapefruit or pine, the hops in the smell are round, sleek, with a gentle zing and a smooth, whiskeylike burned brown sugar quality.

Wow, wow, what a flavor - this is definitely a DIPA in the way it's built, but what comes out at the end of the build is like nothing I've tried so far. In the words of my roommate, it's juicy and mellow, and I totally agree. I think the defining thing about the hops in this beer is that they are oily, oily, oily. They have a kind of quick warm, caustic quality, but they quickly settle to their resounding qualities of mellow, sleek, and cool. Very hard to describe, but totally unique and delicious.

The mouthfeel is so oily it's crazy. The carbonation is hard to notice because the body is so heavy and wonderfully, obscenely slick. I love it.

For a double IPA, this is not as brutal and aggressive as most; But a DIPA it most definitely is. Wow, what a beer. I see how it's earned the accolates it's ammassed so far.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a clear dark orange ale with a good tan colored head.

Smell is sweet and very heavy on the hop scent. Sharp bitter scent of eucalyptus leaf with menthol, pine, citrus, mint, along with some black pepper riding the alcohol fumes.

Taste is sweet with a very strong hop flavor from the very first sip. Strong bitter oranges are the first flavor that I notice along with a metallic after taste from over stimulated taste bud nerves. After the initial shock you can pick out more individual flavors. Good flavors of base woodiness with spicy and fruity highlights. An interesting beer where the tart and bitter hit your taste buds first with a sweeter finish. Borderline harshness here but not really just really ballsy.

Mouthfeel is good.

A very tasty and drinkable beer in the super IPA Class. I can't give this a 5 rating though because I have had Three Floyds Dreadnaught that defines what a "5" IPA really tastes like.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my delerium tremens tulip. This is a translucent amber/orange with almost no head and no visible carbonation coming up through the beer. Very light white film on top with really tiny bubbles against the side of the glass look like they're gonna lace nicely. 5 minutes later, yeah, it sure does lace nicely. Pretty, tiny, uniform bubbles easy to make out in the lacing

Smell is almost all citrus to me at first with a delicate spiciness in the background and piney hops. That "spiciness" might be a slight burn of alcohol in my nose. Smells clean.

I fucking love the taste of this. Everything that was in the aroma is in the flavor, but unbelievably perfectly balanced. This and Stoudt's Double IPA are my 2 favorites of the style. This is just plain outstanding and tasty.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect to me, really thick and creamy. Those tiny bubbles on the side of the glass were a sure sign of what was to come.

It's a double IPA, so you aren't going to session with this. But this is one of my favorite beers. I don't think you could disagree if you're a fan of this style of beer. Dogfish Head is my favorite brewery because of this, the WWS and the 120 minute. Big, nearly perfect beers, and this is no exception.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear red-orange with a one inch head that slowly diminishes. Lacing is ok. The smell is citrusy, oily hops that don't dominate like I would have expected them to. There are hints of grain bread in the background. Taste is mild hops that hit first with a weird white bread flavor malt afterwards that finishes with a hint of piney hops. This is not nearly as hoppy as most IPAs I've had recently. The carbonation is perfect and the beer goes down smooth. I would like to try this again. It is a good beer, though it is not what I would turn to if I was dying for some hops. For 9% alcohol, you sure could drink alot of this...

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz. bottle into my oversized wine glass.

Appearance: The weakest part about this beer in a glass for sure, unless there's something wrong with my glass. Head fades quickly and doesn't build as it should, the lacing's not as I would've wanted or expected (but it's still there in blots as I drink) and I thought the slightly hazy brown / red / orange color would be darker. Still, it looks pretty good, and I think I was petitioning for too much, as it's been a while since I had the brew on tap.

Smell: Possibly the most perfect IPA aroma around. Intense, balanced, aromatic, slightly heart-stopping, and beyond a perfume. Tons of hops, TONS of hops. And what breaks it down a bit is the excellently balanced malts; without that the aroma would go to quite possibly awful places. This is perfection.

Taste: So much balance, so much taste, so much of a great finish. A perfect balance between the malts, quelling the insanity of the hops, providing not only a fantastic finish and a lingering field of flowers on the tongue, but also a great experience from to-the-mouth to go-again. This is not only not easy, but is, here, done how it's supposed to be done. And there's a beautiful dryness, to boot.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly velvety, and finishes with the right amount of carbonation to make it work well in the mouth.

Drinkability: If you haven't already, you need to try this. It's been a year since I had it on tap, but clearly I need to have it on tap again. From the bottled version comes this review. Maybe DFH's best beer, also. Near perfection in a bottle, especially with such a style that's not the easiest to squeak beauty out of much of the time.

Poured it out of the bottle, with minimal head. The appearance had a copperish color to it. In terms of smell, not quite strong. A bit hoppy but subtle. Taste was very surprising. A bit fruity but combined well with the hops. As soon as I drank it, the beer bounced around. Going down, it left a strong but sweet flavor. It fills up the belly fast, so I could only have 2 at most. The best time of the year to have it is in the summertime. It has that summertime feel and taste to it.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery