90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

90 Minute IPA90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,840 | Ratings: 15,271
3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Foamy white head that slowly fades to a whispy sheet with pools of larger bubbles. Ringed and dimpled lacing with good strength. Glowing copper in color with a chill haze.

Juicy hop aroma; resiny. Pine and slick lemon notes. Noticeable whaffs of alcohol. Greawt aromatics for a hop lover.

Screaming, slick and oily hops right off the bat with a primary flavor of pine. Additional notes of bubblegum and grapefruit. An underlying 'cognac-like' sweetness that somehow does a decent job of balancing the strong hop intensity. A sharp bitterness followed by an alcohol-soaked aftertaste.

Medium bodied; very slick and oily feel on the palate, which is to be expected with a double IPA of this hop intensity.

This one is to be savored and enjoyed. It's an old standby for me, but definitely not a session double. Comparatively, it's not the most well-rounded version of teh style, but it's unique in its own right.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving temperature: 48F Serving glass: Tulip

Presenation: Typical DFH logo backed by a pile of hops. Explaination of the beer in here as well. No freshness date- while there is little worry of it spoiling, as always I'd like to know the vintage I'm drinking.

Aroma: The obvious is here. Grapefruit, lemon, citrus. Pine needles. It's already apparent, however, how much malt went into this brew. Sweet caramel scents backed by a bready character make their way up into my nostrils.

Appearance: Cloudy, copper/orange colored beer. Dense, rocky head forms well & stays at a high level. Supple, sappy, lacing all the way down the glass. Niiiice...

Taste: Alomst puckering citrusy tartness at first, mellowing out into the typical grapefruity hop profile. Intense bitterness follows, however, not to be outdone, a big sweetness shows up and says, "Hi. My name is malted barley. Respect beer, damnit." Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Big, sticky, full bodied. Real oily feel to it, yet finishes rather dry. Good carbonation.

Drinkability: 9% alcohol.. Hmmm. Where is this alcohol, again? Oh. There it is. I feel good. This beer is so drinkable, it scares me. Good thing for 4 packs, huh?

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4pack bottles

Poured into a cold mug (Boston Bruins Mug!)

Pours a nice dark rose gold, amber color. Nice thick off-white head that expires shortly after pouring.

Smells of HOPS! with a hint of pine in the background. Has a slight hint of caramel and malt as well. But mostly the delicious smell of hops.

Tastes of hops and pine. There is also a small floral taste that brings it all to gether aferwards and completes the taste perfectely.

I am a LOVER of IPA's and this is by far one of the most amazing if not best IPA's that I have every had. I would NEVER have guessed that this is a 9% ABV beer. I would recommend this beer to anyone who is a true lover of beers. I am just at a sheer loss of words for how good this beer really is.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

There is good carbonation and pretty solid lacing right from the pour, very nice clarity.
The aroma just screams heaviness - both hops and malt.
Superb balance to this, Plenty of hops to get my fix yet a very solid malt backbone. The finish is puzzling because I'm used to finding one dominant characteristic, but not so here.
Big ole body, oh yeah!
So very drinkable, but at 9% slightly dangerous.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Amber, with a little off-white head, producing a little lacing.

S: Awesome aroma of American hops.

T: Starts slightly bitter, finishes very bitter. Ambundance of hop flavour, citrousy, yet slightly earthy as well, with a grassy aftertaste. A touch of raisin-bread malt flavour is hidden behind the hops.

M: Moderate body is slightly oily. Light to moderate carbonation.

D: It's quite bold, but most hop-heads should love it.

Thanks Len!

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a tulip style pint glass. Deep amber / rust color, beautiful, long lasting head that eventually dissipates into a tight cap of foam that leaves lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Initial smell is of caramelized malt. The hop aroma comes later and builds but never overwhelms. The smell eventually morphs into a mixture of malt, warming alcohol and floral hops.

Taste is extremely balanced. Lots malt and hops that work together and neither takes an upper hand. The malt flavor marries with alcohol and fruity yeast by-products. The malt flavor is deeply caramelized. Tastes like a good proportion of crystal malt was used or even some non-traditional IPA malts like cara-munich. The beer hides the 9% abv well but there is something in there that reminds you that it must be respected.

Mouthfeel is substantial and fulfilling. As I swallow another sip, I again marvel how well balanced the beer is. I would classify the beer more as an English double IPA as the hops are more restrained and used in proportion with the malt. This isn't the hop bomb that I anticipated but is, nevertheless, a very well crafted and enjoyable ale.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

This is one of those beers that every hophead MUST drink at some point. There is no escaping it. From everthing I had heard, I expected greatness. But I was still surprised by this monster of a beer.

Poured an appetizing copper with a respectable, but not enormous, head. Big wave of floral hops at the nose. Crisp malt notes also tangible. Hard to explain, but it just smelled thick. And as soon as it hit my tongue, I knew why. This is heavy stuff. The rush of flavor is almost indescribable. But one stands out to anyone remotely familiar with the style: balance. This is very well balanced for a double IPA. I was ready for an all-out hop assault, and I wasn't disappointed with the hop presence, but the toasty malt backbone was also there in force. Double in every sense of the word. You gotta love anything this big that still goes down so smooth. But it's still heavy. After a couple pints of this, you'll feel like you just had a steak dinner. And that's really the only reason I wouldn't recommend making this a part of a hearty dinner. But it also wouldn't be a real shame to fill up on the 90 minute and put your steak in a doggie bag.

My verdict: buy some. Disappointment in unlikely. Drinking more is inevitable.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

If you are a true hop-head, than this is the Mecca of beers for you. This poured a golden amber range color with a slight head that relaxed into good lacing. The nose is an absolute punch in the face of hops, hops, nutty malts, hops and hops. THe taste is a bitter roll of hops searing the tongue. It's absolute heaven in a bottle. I've ben a hopper for a while, this is my flagship.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

I hate to give 5s, but damn, if any beer deserves it, it's this one.

I bought it because I had friends over for chili, and I like a good pale ale with some good spicy chili. Had this one by myself afterwards. Going to buy a case of it tomorrow to always keep on hand.

Grassy, outdoorsy nose, and similar taste, VERY fresh tasting, tastes like late summer or some other bad analogy.

Literally the perfect DIPA (although now they're calling it 90 Minute Imperial IPA, don't know what brought around the switch). Hoppy, but not too bad, with a little taste of honey thrown in there just to keep you guessing. Refreshing, perfectly drinkable, the only reason it gets a 4.0 is because of the 9% abv. I just can't handle more than a few without getting drunk enough not to appreciate the taste of the beer.

All around wonderful beer from Dogfish Head.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a nice coppery orange hue with a moderate amount of head.

I could smell this beer as soon as I poured it.... LOTS of hops in the nose.... a grassy, outdoorsy smells is there as well... very nice smelling DIPA.

I guess I could have mentioned this earlier in the review, but this is my favorite IPA.... placks plenty of hops in the taste without crossing the line to becoming overwhelming. There is almost a sweetness to this beer, but right before it reaches that point, the hops kick you in the tongue and bring you back to what this beer really is: a wonderful hoppy creation.

Mouthfeel is tart and tongue-spanking... I was going to try to review one or two other beers tonight, but I fear my taste-buds will be shot by the end of the glass.

Scary drinkable for a 9% brew... I much prefer this over the 60min, not that that's a bad brew either... this is just exceptional.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at the Landmark 1850. God, I love that place.

Anecdote: Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA was one of the first craft beers I tried, and it, along with Allagash White, really twisted my tongue. Much later, I came back to the formerly "soapy" Allagash White and loved it; now it's the 90 Minute's chance.

A pedestrian clear amber, but blessed with a wonderful fluffy, soapy white head and great lacing, the 90 Minute IPA is really attractive. It smells and tastes a lot like Anchor Liberty ale, I think--quite hoppy, yet with a strong sweet and creamy malt character for balance. Alcohol is a non-factor, hidden perfectly. A full, creamy mouthfeel rounds off what I recognize now to be an extremely tasty IPA, and a remarkably drinkable one given its ABV.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Chimay goblet. Just finished the last of a sixpack I bought a month ago.

Pours strong with less head then I expected. A nice deep brown color. No head to speak of on this particular pour, but have had nice pours in the past. Carbonization though is conisistant and lasts long enough for the finish.

Nutty, with lots of hops. Alcohol taste is a bit too strong for me, but the not strong enough to make the drink hard to swallow. Has an underlining oaky finish that with a buttery texture on the roof of the mouth creates an earthy warmed mouth. Rolls in the mouth pleasing the palate.

Over all a good beer, but Dogfish has a personal stigma that I've attached to it, where as I feel they are too modern of a brewery attempting to overwhelm with tastes and ABV percentages, leading to confusing and oft overpowering beers that just scream "OVER DOING IT!!"

But this is definitely a nice beer and would recommend to anyone.

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Just getting into hoppy beers so I was a little intimidated by the lofty claims I've heard.

Pours a dark amber with a tall khaki head and the best lacing I've seen yet in a beer. Smell is insanely intense floral/herbal hops, some tropical fruit, and as it warms, malted barley. Taste starts with a strong hop kick, but not nearly as intense as I would have expected from the nose, considerably sweet caramel malts, and subtle pineapple/passionfruit notes. I can't believe how balanced they managed to make this beer with the ridiculous amount of hops they claim to throw in this stuff. This stuff really caught me by surprise. The hops and alcohol are immaculately balanced by an equally ridiculous amount of barley. This is really a treat. Dogfish Head, you had me at hello.

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Bought in the 12 oz bottle.
The appearance is quite attractive,the usual orangy, slightly hazed colour of an IPA, large egg shell white frothy head, great lace.
Again a great spicy fresh aroma of citrus fruits and pine needles, some hints of malt and alcohol.
Taste is actually quite sweet, surprised me, at the start before a tart fizzy bitterness takes over , very lemony,but in the background i taste alcohol which I should expect for a 9% beer but kinda spoils if a bit for me.
MOuthfeel is alright and quite smooth to begin with, but after a few sips becomes cloying.,
I liked this ok but not the world class DIPA i thought it would be.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear amber golden with a barely off-white head that rose frothy, moussy and tall to fall slowly and coat the glass from top to bottom.

The aroma was nicely malty with caramel and a strong fruity presence with just slight bit of alcohol. The hop aromas were strong through the tall head and were citrusy and just very slightly earthy and at all times resinous.

The flavor was malty with a strong backbone of caramel which balanced a substantial, but not overpowering bittering aspect. The beer was almost balanced toward malt, but hop bittering and flavor won the day. The hop flavor was piney, floral and citrusy.

The finish was just dry with a nice lasting resinous citrus hop bittering that lasts long into the afteraste. The body was medium full to almost full. The citrus portion of the hop flavor and aroma was low and well mingled. The alcohol was very slightly present in the aroma, stronger in the flavor and strongest in the warming that came post consumption.

12 ounce bottle. Purchase a 4 pack at Brawley's in NC...heck yeah!

2.26/5  rDev -46.6%

What a letdown in all phases! The beer pours a rather tepid golden brown with very little carbonation. No head to speak of and no lacing.

Aroma is dank. Not sure what hop they use but it's not one I recognize and not one I ever hope to come across again. Smell is somewhat like old socks or pumpkin - kind of a funky note pervades.

As is often the case, taste follows nose and the funk continues with each sip. Malt notes are present, primarily bready notes but the overwhelming taste is some sort of bitter sour rotten vegetable flavor. Very, very close to a diacetyl buttery note but not quite; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was the offshoot of an unhappy yeast.

Mouthfeel is undercabonated and left an oily coating on the palate. Nothing to invite another sip other than the desperate hope that somehow magically the beer in my glass might have changed into something palatable.

All in all this rates a solid 'not impressed' This can't possibly be the same beer that most folk rate as 'outstanding'. I can only hope it's a bad batch that was somehow infected. Frankly, skunking would have improved the flavor.

Thanks (sort of) to rapopoda for going to the trouble of hand carrying this out to the Golden State.

3.37/5  rDev -20.3%

There are some beers you read about on this website that truly peek your interest; this was one such for me. Compared to where it stands statistically I have one word for it.... OVERRATED. Double IPA need nuts, this has small ones.

Slightly less attractive than your run of the mill IPA's , no deep colors, lacks any real characteristics. Did pour nicely and has decent head retention.

S&T Dried fruits, kind of like trail mix, sweet as well, I guess those would be the occasional M&M's you get.

Big alcohol, slickly sweet, good if you want to get loaded...quick.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber which fades to gold at the edges. A one-finger white head, that fades to a ring in a few minutes, and stays to lace the glass all the way down. Visible carbonation.

The smell is just pure malt and hops. Almost like smelling pine trees on a rainy day. Quite a trip. Some bananas come in at the end of the smell.

Up front taste is sweet, almost like a cola. Has raisins and hints of clove. At the middle of the tongue it turns to a sweet banana sundae taste, with malt pushing it ahead. Finishes with a wonderful wash of hops that just fills your entire head with pine, citrusy, grapefruit like flavors, that stay for ages. The hops add tons of flavor to this brew, and not too much bitterness. A bit more hop presence up front would have sealed the deal for a "5" from me.

Mouthfeel is thin up front, crisp and carbonated near the end, and thin trails of alcohol and hops bitterness/sourness as you swallow. Not as big a feel as I'd expect, but definitely easy to swallow as a result.

This beer just pulls itself down your throat. If it weren't for the sour kick at the tail end, I'd say this could replace the water in my tap.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

pours a very hazy light orange color, not clear at all. probably means, nice hops! not too much of a head but it stays around, and very lacy.

smells hoppy and flowery. a little piney, a little weird fruit aroma but very nice.

the taste is quite sweet with a hop bite. i can't believe its as strong as it is, it is very smooth. nice malt portion to this. amazingly balanced. sweet and smooth considering its strength. what a brew.

mouthfeel is a little creamy, slight slight dry finish on the hop bite. very pleasant

what a great brew. the buzz will catch you after only a couple, but it is so damn smooth you can't help but give in. i could drink a bunch of these despite being quite wasted afterwards. i'm so impressed with this brew, it is a completely different world from the 60 minute which i also thought was great. now the 60 is great for what it is, but this double IPA thing is its own realm entirely.

3.09/5  rDev -27%

The stuff looked fantastic when the bar maid brought it to the table. It was a rich reddish gold with a nice thick head on it.

My wife, who absolutely loves a nice hoppy IPA didn't like and and passed it over to me. I tasted it and I too was disappointed, because I have had some of Dogfish Head's other IPA's in bottles and they were FANTASTIC.

So I don't know why this one didn't live up to our expectations. It smelled a bit yeasty and tasted a bit malty and didn't have the hop bite that I recall the bottles having.

Maybe the beer was stale or something.

Drinkability. My wife a certified hop head passed it over and ordered a Harpoon, and I drank it (cause I was paying the tab)...

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

A phenomenal IPA. Pours a crisp, clear, red color into my imperial pint glass, growing a 1-finger beige-colored head that dissipates quickly but leaves lacing. Aroma of good hops is prevalent, with juicy red apple and spicy clove on top of the nutty barley malt. This ale is a masterpiece - a ludicrous amount of hops is perfectly balanced by tons of barley malt, making for a exquisitely tasty IPA. Not too bitter, but bitter enough to be just perfect. Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery, a little low on the carbonation side, but that makes it more authentic. An excellent ale if you're in the mood for something hoppy, but it's 9% ABV doesn't lend to drinking a whole 4-pack of these.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours slightly bronzed clear tan, with perfect clarity, a little lighter than I'd anticipated. Head is off-white, good-sized and pretty well immortal. The aroma is predictably hoppy, although the sweeter side of the brew comes through with a bit of a woody, caramel-and-spice scent. The alcohol is noticeable as well.

In the mouth, it flows nicely, medium-bodied and not too sticky--"juicy" wouldn't be a bad description. Hops are strong but don't dominate, and most of what I notice is really the sweetness of the malt and alcohol. The overall effect is sort of caramel-appleish, with a drying finish that has some nutty character to it. Carbonation is minimal, appropriate to the flavor.

I'm just not that much of a big-beer fan, and from the bottle (uncellared) I find the alcohol a bit much for my tastes. I wouldn't drink more than one at once, but the complexity makes it a good meditation beer. I've had it on-tap as well and felt that the alcohol wasn't so aggressive, which I appreciated. In any case, I'd say it makes an excellent session closer, a good change of pace if you've been knocking back hoppier stuff.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Dark brown like honey in sunlight. Decent head.

Smells like big dry hops and chewy caramel. Very strong but nearly perfectly balanced. Nice.

Doesn't quite taste as good as it smells. Big hops up front, a barley in the back that's almost brown-ale sweet.

A good example of a good style from a good brewer. Nothing to kill for, but certainly worth a try.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had this at the Sawmill Taproom in Raleigh.

Color- deep copper, with a pale beige head.

Nose- rich, perfumy, piny nose. I was excited when I sniffed this.

Palate- Rich and mouthfilling, but the hops keep it from being the least bit cloying. Notes of grapefruit marmalade. Smooth dark brown sugar flavors (this reminds me a bit of a barleywine, but in an IPA package. Perfect balance, and a long finish. There is no overt evidence of alcohol, but it's rich enough to make you slow down a bit.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Mmmm. Pours a bright light orange hue capped by a half-inch creamy head that's going nowhere fast. Light carbonation persists throughout the experience. Dry aroma of spicy fresh hops, orange peel, ale yeast, and a touch of mustiness. The palate is...I don't know how to say. "One of the most pleasing things that has ever caressed my tongue" doesn't really convey it. A smooth, creamy, slightly buttery body holds a huge hop presence up front, redolent with lupulin. A touch of sweet caramel malt comes through mid-palate, finishing with a lasting bitterness. Notes of orange, grass, and tart ale yeast are present. Good lord, I love this beer.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery