90 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA "perhaps the best IPA in America." An imperial IPA best savored from a snifter, 90 Minute has a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate.

90 Minute IPA was the first beer we continuously hopped, allowing for a pungent -- but not crushing -- hop flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2001

Reviews: 3,882 | Ratings: 15,451
3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Got this bottle while visiting relatives in Michigan, and have been looking forward to trying it finally.

Pours a golden color with a decent head that slowly fades away to a small cap with some pretty decent lacing.

Smells is citrus, pine, hops and malt. Not as overwhelming as I expected. This is my first double IPA, and I was expecting a stronger assault on the nose.

Taste is initially citrus and hops, but finishes with a nice malt sweetness to it. It's smoother and has a lot more balance than I was expecting. I find that I have to force myself to not drink this to quickly.

I haven't had very many DFH beers, but this is my favorite one thus far.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

OK. I went and bought at the brew store today (Brawley's). I spent too much, but finally was able to find this Dogfish Head IPA that was supposed to be the best. I have not opened the bottle yet, but the anticipation is incredible.

Appearance:
Poured really nice, although there was little head and not a ton of bubbles. Beautiful golden color. The head clears out except for a small ammount of lace that graces the top of the beer.

Smell (nose):
Hops. Not as overwhelming as I would have thought from a DOUBLE IPA (but never having a double before, my expectations could be skewed). They also hide the alcohol from the nose.

Taste:
I took one sip and immediatly had to go back for another before I could continue typing. Very hoppy, which makes me very happy! Well hopped, as one would expect from a DOUBLE IPA... about double the wondrous hops! Most excellant. If you don't love hops, do not try this beer, it's not for you. If I hadn't read on the bottle that it was 9% abv, I would not have know from the taste and the nose.

Mouthfeel:
This is a BIG-BOY! Feels like once the beer enters your mouth that it will not hide or cower! Big and bold and holds nothing back.

Drinkability:
The problem with this beer is that it will not leave you alone. You want more in your mouth. I am finding that I don't want to type, just drink more of this elixor vitea.

Belch (every good beer has a good belch, and I believe that you taste more of the hops in the belch):
I was not let down in this area either. I good belch to me is one that tastes as you would think putting a hop flower into your mouth would taste. This beer has a very flavorfull belch on multiple leavels.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Clear orange-amber color with a beige-white 1/2" head. Beautiful lacing that lasts and lasts.

Nice hop nose, not overpowering at all. Mild orange, piney odors.

Great flavor! Grapefruit/citrus, malt, and lots of hop flavor, (of course). Slght warming and astringency from the alcohol content, but I don't think it's a bad thing in this case.

Overall, I find this excellent and very drinkable. I could probably put down a few very easily, but won't, as I would rather savor them.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

The Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA may well be the most balanced and subtle IPA that I have ever tasted. DFH has been bringing their creations into the Texas market for a while now, and the 90 Minute IPA was one of the original beers that they entered into retail here. It is, along with the 60 Minute IPA, one of their flagship beers. My only quibble with it at all is the pricing. At $8.49/4-pack, it can take a bite out of the beer budget. That said, it's hard to argue that it isn't worth the price, as this beer certainly rocks.

The 90 Minute IPA starts with a very pretty pour. It has a deep orange-amber coloring, and the head is thick and creamy on the pour. The foam eventually dissipates, leaving nice, thick lacing down the mug or glass as the beer is quaffed. The nose is malty and hoppy, slightly sweet.

The taste is exceptionally well-balanced. The malts are sweet and bready, and they provide the perfect counterbalance to the heavy hop infusion. Incredibly impressive. There were some complex nuances to the taste as I worked my way through the beer. Vanilla, lavender, and rose petal tastes surfaced once in a while. Very interesting all the way around. I have never had an IPA (or any other beer) quite like it before.

Good mouthfeel, just short of being sweetly cloying. Very drinkable considering the ABV. It's a big beer, but I could see enjoying several of these in succession if I knew that I didn't have to drive or otherwise be occupied with anything other than enjoying this fine brew.

I was really expecting something different. I had tried the 60 Minute and just expected more of the same with a bigger hop bite. But the 90 Minute really shattered my vague expectations. There really isn't anything like it out there. DFH has produced a unique masterpiece with this beer, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz 4 pack at my local grocer.

This is my last of the 4 drank at a rate of 1 per week. The first one I could hardly stand and they got better from there. I decided I would review the last one to be fair.

Pours a copper color with a typical IPA head, forthy and lacy.

Smell is not your typical IPA. Not what you expect. Normally I am looking for a bit more citrus/grapefruit smell. Hops are there in abundance just a deeper complex level of hops than the typical aromatic citrus hops smell. Smoky, sour, fuity, citrus. piney, it all seems to be in there somewhere, a blend of hops if you will. Mouthfeel is warm (probably all the alchohol) and creamy.

Taste is tangy and bitter, very bitter and then malty. This one may be beyond my abilities to actually get at all the flavors. Malt is strong as well, buscuit malts but really the bitter hops take over the taste.

Frankly a strong and interesting beer but not an extremely drinkable beer (my lowest score). This is one left to the BA type. Not one to try out on friends used to drinking macros or typical micros. However it DOES grow on you. This last one is much more enjoyable than the first one. A beautiful beer in its element but otherwise a beast that most people would have trouble understanding.

And this from a hop head and IPA lover.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Nice. Well this one pours a copper color with a nice light head which will lace the glass thorough. It smells like citrus and apricots. The taste is strong but not overpowering it is of fruits and hops has a tartness with a warm full body feel. The mouthfeel is smooth. A drinkable beer indeed. Impressive

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was glad to finally try this beer, but I must say I was a little bit disappointed. I think the 60 minute has been my favorite DFH so far, aside from the Burton Baton. This wasn't far off from the 60 minute, but I was hoping it would be the perfect balance between the 60 and the 120, which is doesn't seem to be.

Pours to a dark coppery clear red with a nice inch foam and a decent carbonation. Looks like it will be quite a treat.

The smell is piney hoppy and has the weird yeasty aroma that I seem to equate to cinammon and apple sauce. Not quite as aromatic as I was hoping, and not even any more potent to the nose than the 60 minute.

The taste is actually quite sweet, and the hops don't seem to have any more oomph than the 60 minute. DFH uses some funky fermentables, as is apparent in their larger proof beers. Tastes like they used a shit ton of honey, molasses, cinnamon, and brown sugar. This beer seems to be more sweet and sour than it is bitter. Not as big of a disappointment as the 120 minute, but doesn't live up to my expectations of when I was stuck only being able to get the 60 minute here in Iowa.

The mouthfeel is syrupy and coating, though not too thick considering how much it tastes like honey and molasses. Has a contact dryness from the astringency of the alcohol as well as the hops. Evidently the hops are there, but they are hiding behind the attempt at balancing the bitter out with some sweet. It is too overwhelming to be drinkable. I love my IPA's, and I love it when brewers get a bit experimental with their recipes, but nothing can come close to the refreshing taste of a more "traditional" American IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Nice two-finger off white head....foamy, small bubbles, but broken up by some large ones. Head slowly decreases in size, leaving some lacing behind. Beautiful honey colour underneath, with no bubbles rising.

The smell is all hops (would you expect anything else from this one?), with a subtle but present maltiness underneath. Somewhere in here, there's even some fruitiness- mainly a pungent orange, and a bit of grapefruit.

Wow....strong maltiness hits on first taste. I expected the hops to hit hardest, but they don't. The grapefruit is there along with some spiciness, and the alcohol doesn't back down. Oddly, a woodiness comes in at the end, instead of the hops. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is thick, With a low somewhat loose carbonation that hits up front, builds a bit, then is gone.

Some folks might find a 9% a bit too strong for a session beer, but this one could fit the bill well. It not so strong that it would put you off after a while- but has enough going on in the flavour, to keep you interested.

Be well
-UF

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

Revisit: 24 Dec 16
12 oz. Bottle
Bottled On: 11/03/16

Probably close to 4 years since the last time I had this brew.

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden orangy color, very nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy one-finger off-white head, which also leaves a nice size oil slick and some nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is mostly malty, sweet, with some hops. The taste is sweet, malty, nice little hop note, and slightly spicy. Medium body, ABV hidden very well. Nice little dry/bitter finish. Overall I adjusted my score again, too accordingly give this beer a review for what this beer is worth on it's own.

Thanks goes out to richardflyr for this in person trade.

Revisited: 14 Jun 12

This beer is totally different from the last few times I had it and the original review. I just had to write a more current review.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden light amber color, nice carbonation, with a little fizzy white head, which does leave some sticky lacing behind. The nose is mostly malty, sweet, with some hops. The taste is sweet, malty, nice little hop note, and slightly spicy. Medium body, ABV still hidden very well. Overall I had to bring these points down, this is just a medicore DIPA to me now.

WOW this beer is awesome. Pours a clear golden yellow, not much of a head, but leaves some nice lacing. This beer has an different scent than other IPAs I've had, barley, hops, nutty, fruity, and spicy. The scent hits you the second you open the bottle. I really like the taste, kinda sweet with a little bite at the end. The body is light. For a 9% ABV beer you would never know it, Dogfish Head hid the alcohol very well. This is a very highly recommended brew.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a crystal copper color with a frothy tan head that retains well and lively carbonation rising to the top. Aroma is big, juicy hops; citrus (mainly grapefruit with hints of lemon and orange rind) and a slight piney smell as well as a lightly sweet caramel background. The flavor begins with a nice juicy hops profile with big citrusy grapefruit, slightly floral and mineraly, piney, and herbal flavors, followed by sweet caramel and lightly bready malt character to balance. The finish is drying and fairly bitter, but less so than your typical DIPA which makes it all the more drinkable. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a big body and the drinkability is pretty good ( i can only think of one other DIPA more drinkable...thank you Stoudt's), alcohol is noticeable but not intrusive and this is one of the few DIPA's I could drink more than one of in a session...very nice beer by DFH

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured a slightly hazy orange - copper color with small white head. I smell some sweet grapefruit and that is about it. Slightly bitter, actually just right, then some citrus and then the sweet malts take over. Low carbonation, there is an oily feel to this from the hops. It is quite drinkable even with the somewhat high alcohol content. Nothing dominates here but it all goes together very well.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a hazy bronze color with a small white head. Lace clings to the side of the glass while drinking. Strong smell of hops followed by citrus. Smells amazing. The hops hit you first then the taste of malt kicks in to bring balance. The taste is right up there with the smell, its fantastic. Incredibly smooth. Maybe the smoothest IPA I've tasted. A subtle warming feel in the back of the throat from the alcohol. Quite drinkable for its strength. An amazing IPA that I would recommend to anyone.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

I'm glad I live next to a state that can pretty easily offer goods my home state doesn't provide. Way to go Wisconsin.
Nice grassy, herbal, green hops with an intensity that's very powerful and remains through the whole glass. Enough somewhat sweet malt presence that forms a sturdy and steady background (Maris Otis?).
Golden amber with orange/red. Very slow building head that eventually builds to a solid one inch of dense off-white and then slowly dies. Heavy lacing.
Both malt and hops present boldly from start to finish (with each drink and in the whole glass full). I really like how neither dominates or overwhelms the other and that both remain present throughout the drink. Malt flavors are heavy and not especially sweet. Hops are bitter with a resin and a slight grassiness.
Very heavy and chewy with a dense carbonation that lends a creaminess. Still a bite from bitterness. Warmth from alcohol.
I like the lack of American style hops, which offers a different version for this style. Heavier than others I've had, which I have a mixed reaction to.

4.24/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy pale amber with a soft white head.

Smells like a crazy bouquet of citrusy hops, but I can still detect a hint of malt. Makes my mouth water just to smell it. This may have the best aroma of any beer I have tried to date.

Tastes like a perfect balance of citrus hops and malt. For all of the hops, there is not as much bitterness as I expected. There is still a nice malt backbone. Perfectly balanced.

Body is perfect for the style. Nice and meaty with a creamy finish.

Even ay the high ABV, I could drink this all the time.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a semi-cloudy bronze color with a small, creamy white head. The aroma is huge. Fruity, herbal, slightly grassy. Very relaxing. The flavor is as big as the aroma. Hops are everywhere. The mouthfeel is slightly less than full bodied.. Overall, this brew is truely wonderful. I only wish it were available in Minnesota.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Okay, two years ago I would have had nothing to do with the 90 minute. How two years and 200 plus reviews can change a man's taste. This is one of the best beers I've tried hands down. Geat balance of extra hops and malts. The alcohol doesn't overpower the taste or smell. Nice orange-copper hue with good carbonation and head. Without eating anything for 8 hours before, this one actually gave me a nice rush. I'm not sure if I could handle the 120 minute yet. Can't wait to see this around North Carolina soon.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

mc chris made me do it (Fett's Vett)

App: I was surprised by how light this brew was. Not that it was light as compared to other IIPAs. But for some reason I was expecting something darker. It was a pleasant surprise.

Smell: Thick molasses hop pudding. With figs.

Taste: Velvety smoothness envelops the mouth area of the face. At the same time, the Chocolate Hops Authority unleashes its namesake on your mid-tongue. The hops are not at all sharp, but still very strong in a different way. I just remembered that I had a dream about beer last night and it tasted a lot like this.

MF/D: For a IIPA this is very drinkable. As long as you sip it.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

A- light gold body with a frothy offwhite head. laces very well

S- strong floral hop aroma, spices, some sweetness

T- very balanced hop bitterness. nothing really comes through that is overpowering. lots of spices in the finish with some sweetness showing through. alcohol is detectable but no overwhelming.

M- thicker body then i expected. carbonation is medium and overall there is a rich creamy feeling.

D- despite the high abv, the smooth balanced taste make it very easy to drink.

overall- not what i was expecting from this beer. extremely well balanced and smooth taste. the hop presence is definitely there but doesnt stand out so much that it hurts the drinkability. to bad this stuff costs $10 a 4 pack.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful amber with nice frothy white head, about 1 inch, which slowly recedes leaving some nice lacing. Nice pungeant smell of sweet malt and spicy hops. There are also some fruit complexities going on here too. Smells very nice and very enticing. Taste is definitely mostly delicious spicy hops but there is also a lot of sweet malt here which tries to balance it out, but fails. The effort of the malt does not go unappreciated however- it results in a nice sweetness underneath all those wonderful hops. A little bit of alcohol can be detected in the finish but it hides the 9% quite well. Very nice mouthfeel - heavy but not syrupy and just the right amount of carbonation. Also this is very easy to drink despite its high ABV. Dangerous, and spectacular, stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a pretty amazing beer. It pours a clear orangish amber color with a billowy white head. The head sticks around for a long time and leaves a lot of lacing in the glass.

The aroma is incredibley floral and malty. The hops almost give it a little bit of spice in the nose.

The taste has a great blend of malty sweetness and spicey hop bitterness. It's absolutely delicious. The alcohol is definately present and it gives the beer a nice warming experiance after every sip. This is a good swishing beer.

The mouthfeel is great. It coats the mouth nicely letting you get the full effect of the malt and hop addition. This is a full bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

I would say this is a highly drinkable beer even with a 9% ABV. I highly recommend it.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on-tap at their brewpub, filtered through "Randall" for extra hops infusion.

The beer pours with a thick dark amber-red body and a nice frothy head and rich bubbles. The smell is phenomenal, being freshly hopped, with very nice fruity and floral hops notes, some citrus, an almost menthol hops not (but not unpleasant), and a hint of malt.

Despite the high IBUs of this beer, and the dry hopping right before serving, this beer isn't as powerful as you'd think in the hops department. The floral and citrus tastes of the hops are very strong, but in more of a fruity than a bitter way. Think bitter orange and you're getting the idea. Night maltiness and a slightly dry but substantial body round this out.

This is not my favorite double IPA, but it's close, and it's very, very pleasant. Worth seeking out.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

looks like honey with a thick, amazingly sparkly froth. It looks like a white top hat with a sprinkling of new snow. The bubbles struggle to release themselves from the slightly brackish honey. They rise and gather together just below the surface before exloding into the air. Nice show

Smells great, smells like snickerdoodle dough, pineapples, grapefruit pith and lemon ice cream.

this doesn't blow your doors off, it knocks with assurance and walks right into the parlor, and sits down to make a deal. The deal is this: After a couple of buttery scones with lemon curd and fresh cream we're gonna dance around a bowl of mixed greens with orange vinegarette, and mandarin orange garnish. Then we will agree that this is a defining double IPA. There are bigger and badder IIPAs, but if this was the standard babies would cry less.

As another reviewer remarked, prepare to get your ass kicked if you're not prepared for this beer. This isn't your run of the mill IPA or double IPA, this beer packs some serious hop punch. The 120 minute is even hoppier, which boggles the mind. Pours a deep copper, nice dense head. Intense floral hop aromas, there's no mistaking what this beer is. Taste is frighteningly hoppy yet smooth, with a huge kick in the end. Mouthfeel is creamy yet almost harsh at the same time. Quite drinkable if you're a hop head, not so much if your not, but still a wonderful beer.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer hurts. But its a good hurt. Anytime I really want to get my ass kicked by a beer I buy this. Pours a pale gold with a nice finger of head but doesn't lace too well or retain its head that great. You can smell this beer from across the room- smells like spice and smoke with intense herbal hoppiness. Tastes the same with an addition of some malty thickness in the far background- I actually described this to someone as tasting somewhat like smoked ham. Has a really nice medium body to it- not so watery like some IPAs. I think this and the Great Divide have claim to the quintessential double IPA

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a slight reddish tint to it. It has about 1/4 inch of foam at first pour that slowly faded to a thick ring around the glass. There are few bubbles rising to retain the head. Thick Belgian lace left behind after tasting.

Aroma: Super fresh and citrusy. I get green apples and grapefruit mixed with a bit of lemon at first pour. There is a tad of caramel coming out as it warms up a bit.

Taste: The taste is totally refreshing, and this is coming from a person that normally doesn't like hoppy beers much. The taste starts out with the citrus in the hops leading the profile, but then the malt kicks in to help lead the finish toward the sweet side of the finish. I guess that is a true statement, because the mouthfeel is really resiny, so I am making an assumption that it is based on malt. This might be pure hop essential oil that I am tasting coat my throat...and in this case it would be a hoppy finish. Either way, you get hops in the beginning, and a sweet and slick finish.

Opinion: This is a very well crafted beer! It is easily a contender with the best of them...in it's own category the way it reacts with your senses is unique, much like a Berliner Weisse. This beer over-utilizes the hop presence like a Berliner Weisse over-utilizes the tart character from it's fermentation. They are both deserving of respect.

90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery