Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

3.73/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,302 |  Reviews: 566
4.55/5  rDev +22%

Hooooly crap... this beer is awesome.

So this is the first beer I've sampled that is more than 13% ABV... and I really thought I'd be far more disappointed than this....

Thankfully I was way off.

First of all, it was sort of what I expected strangely enough. I sort of imagined this "raspberry fruit beer" to be more like a sour/Flemish ale. And strangely enough, this beer reminds me very much of Rodenbach.

I think this brew is world class and only wish it could be more than just a fruit beer; I feel like it's more of a sour ale. It's deep, complex and exciting all at once. This is what all you Russian Imperial fanboys only wished Imperial Stouts could be.

Not that I don't love a good Russian Imperial. But this beer knocked my socks off. And maybe I haven't had enough great beers, but Rodenbach knocked my socks off too, but this beer knocked them off MORE.

Unfair to put this in a category as specialized as Rodenbach? Maybe... but who am I but a beer lover. I know what I like... this beer isn't sweet or overpowering. It's not comparable to anything else out here. It's 18% ABV of nearly unintentional beer bliss that goes down way smoother than it should and begs (literally BEGS) for another sip.

And that, to me, is what great beer is all about.

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2008 vintage.
Appearance: hazy yellowish read. Not much of an off white head. No surprise for an 18% monster.
Smell: Sweet, rich raspberries. Exotic and inviting.
Taste: more of the same. Braced for an alcohol punch that never came. Sweet but not overly so. The richness and depth offset the sweetness like a fine port.
Overall: Awesome. A work of art from Sam and team. How in the hell do they make an 18%er this easy to drink?

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%

i was pleasantly supprised by this beer. not that i though it wouldn't be good, but i suggest taking your first sip while sitting down. The first sip or two is a bit strong but with the abv that is to be expected. Very distinct orange color, with a raspberry aroma you could probably smell from a mile away. Although the taste of raspberry is very strong i thought it was neither over-powering nor over-whelming. Becafeful-for those not prepared a glass or two of this will surely have you buzzzing

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2015 bottle poured into a tulip glass. Based on the other reviews that this beer was a bit hot, I let it sit for a while. Decided it was finally time to open it up. Beer poured with a nice 3/4" head and a luscious aroma of raspberries. Taste had a bit of heat but definitely did not seem overpowering to me. Raspberries really shine through in this one. Fruity-Sweet, but balanced the touch of boozy heat wonderfully. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but honestly, I loved it. Thought it was fantastic. However, I do love raspberries though, so it was right up my alley.

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a ruby/amber color. Almost looks like a mix of grapefruit and apple juices. Minimal head the fizzles away.

Smells of sugary raspberries, alcohol, and just the slightest hint of hops.

Carbonation is felt on the tounge as well as a slight alcohol warmth followed up by a juicy/tart raspberry flavor. Hints of vanilla and caramel come through along with a bit of spice and hops. The raspberry flavor is very natural and almost more of a candied raspberry shortcake type flavor.

This would go great with a piece of rich creamy cheesecake to finish off the night and put you to bed! One of the most out there fruit beers I have ever tasted and it is oh so good! Thanks DFH!

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I want to preface this review: I am not an expert when it comes to fruit beer. My girlfriend however; she knows her way around a bottle of framboise. So with regard to my lack of expertise and respect for hers... Sarah take the wheel:

A-Clarity was nice, color is similar to a tawny port, head was pinkish in color and reduces to a skim.

S-shitloads of raspberries (duh)

T-Almost tastes like a raspberry wine, light and refreshing with no cloying sweetness after taste.

M-Hits the pallet with a bright alcohol sense similar to wine but washes clean

D-I could and did chug this

Sam, you're the shit...I found my new beer...buh-bye lambic

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Appearance -Pinkish amber color topped by a half finger white head.

Smell -Imagine standing in a field of raspberries on a cool morning. Now multiply by 10. Slightly tart, slightly sweet, very boozy.

Taste -MMM...raspberries, funk, raspberries, booze, raspberries, malt, booze, raspberries. Not cloyingly sweet, not too tart. A nice balance.

Mouthfeel -A bit heavier than expected but the raspberry, booze, funk and tartness dance around the tongue.

Drinkability -More drinkable than expected. Plowed through the 750 mls on my own over the course of a couple of hours and never got burnt out of the taste.

An enjoyable "extreme" beer. Not for everyday but fun every now and then. Great work Dogfish Head!!!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage 12 oz bottle enjoyed fresh and poured into a tulip.

L: Pours a deep amber with copper tints topped by a thin ring of white head displaying impressively sticky lacing for the ABV. Would be clear if not for lots of suspended solids (presumably bits of raspberry fruit) that hang motionless within the brew, defying gravity.

S: The nose is dominated by an intense aroma of tart raspberries, backed up by a sweet caramel maltiness akin to that of DFH's anniversary brew, Higher Math, only with the tart cherries replaced with fresh raspberries (and no chocolate of course, not that HM has a particularly strong chocolate presence anyhow). Surprisingly little booze for the absurd ABV, but it is unmistakably there.

T: A pleasant tartness hits the tongue first, quickly exploding into a jubilant burst of intense raspberry flavor buoyed up by a blast of sprightly carbonation and a backbone of sweet caramel malts. Boozy alcohol peaks sharply in the middle but is actually quite smooth and does not overwhelm; feels like about 12%, tops, rather than 18%. The cozy raspberry flavor trails off mercifully slowly, revealing just the right amount of yeasty background notes that characterize the base brew firmly in the advertised Belgian ale region of the beer spectrum. Tart raspberry flavors continue well into the finish and linger long on the tip and sides of the tongue. Delicious.

F: Full-bodied and viscous, even syrupy. Aside from the carbonation, this feels almost like more of a liqueur than a beer, but that's not a bad thing.

O: Very unusual. Unusual, and wonderful. This is absolutely delicious, and grows on you with each sip. Can't wait to see what a little age does to this. I am going straight out and buying a couple (expensive) four packs to put away.

4.51/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5