Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,297 |  Reviews: 564
3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy red peach colored body with a bit of a head that hangs around and leaves some splashy lacing

Smell: Raspberry puree and alcohol

Taste: Swirling this around in my mouth, I pick up a lot of sweet, but not cloying raspberry flavors that build in tartness by mid-palate; after the swallow, it brings forth a bit of alcoholic warmth

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Tasting the 2011 version (with about 8 months of age), I enjoyed it much more than the first one that came out back in 2006; still, this is a beer that would do much better in a 12 oz. bottle - this is just not a beer that can be enjoyed in quantity (n.b.Dogfish listened!)

Thanks, jkolls, for the chance to revisit

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a golden hue with minimal head on top of an aroma that is slightly sugary and ALL raspberry it seems. A lighter body but still filling thanks to intense carbonation. Raspberry sweetness abounds thanks to the fruit and high yeast notes, but the beer is balanced enough so it's not like drinking straight razz juice or something. Finishes slightly dry and boozy, and I'll admit that I am surprised that the ABV didn't bleed into beer and ruin it.

From 7/24/10 notes.

a - Pours a dark amber color with an inch of reddish head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cherries, dark fruits, and fruity
malts. Hints of alcohol, but not that bad considering the 18% ABV.

t - Tastes of raspberries, other dark fruits, caramel malts, fruity malts, and a bit of alcohol. Again, not too bad considering the ABV.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - I thought this was a pretty good fruit beer. The high ABV would make it hard to drink too much of it, but I didn't feel as though it hurt the smell, taste, or feel. I've had lower ABV beers where the alcohol was much more prominent. Would try again.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hzy orange/amber color; some sediment. Poured a 3 finger tan head with good retention to a 1 finger cap. Lazily decanted. No lacing.

S: Rasberries and alcohol with a bit of a wild ale note; thats about it.

T: Rasberries with almost a sweet grape wine flavor. Earthy malt and yeast flavors in the foiundation; sweet and sour. Lots of warming alcohol.

M: Light body; almost thin. Ample carbonation. Dry and slightly hot.

D: I don't know what I was expecting. Interestingly flavorful and who knows about balance. Share with freinds and have something sweet.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy orange-brown with very little head that disappears immediately. Surprise, no lace.
Smell is malty, alcohol, strawberry, and dark fruits.
Taste is like sherry with malt, dark fruits, a big hit of alcohol with no noticeable raspberry but a slight strawberry note.
Full-bodied and a medium effervescence, smooth, almost chewy. A really good beer if a sipping one.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

This is my first beer review so take it for what you will.
I guess up to this point I may not have felt that I could judge beers like many on here do due to the lack of overall sensory observations that many of the people on here have.
My review of DFH Port is overall good.
This beer has a good overall smell. Fruity and alcohol overall. I did not realize until looking on BA that this is an 18% beer.
On an average night I might drink 3-4 beers and the DFH Port started giving me that "buzzed" feeling after the first pint glass which seemed "strange" to me.
The taste is very complex and full of fruits Raspberry being the main flavor, alcohol and other flavors. The first sip was good and My thoughts were that I'd drink this on special occasions but never as a session beer.
Mouthfeel was very good with a good amount of carbonation to it and yet a smooth feel overall.
Drinkability is decent. Depending on the complexity you are used to.
Overall I'd rank this a "Special Occasion" beer. It works very well in the "Buzz" department and is good overall. I may buy a bomber of this to put back to age in the future. for one of my first DFH beers I'm overall impressed!

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: It's extremely hazy and has an autumnal look. Looks slightly tangerine-esque in color. There's some light getting through, but it's impossible to see through it. Head is a little off white and only a finger deep. It receded quickly and left a light lacing on the glass.

Smell: The nose is incredibly inferior to what it should be. It's very weak. There are definitely rasberry and fruit notes in addition to a light alcohol aroma. Perhaps some light maltiness in there. It's virtually void of anything else here. Disappointing to say the least.

Taste: It's very sweet and has an interesting sour character to it. Certainly the rasberries are responsible for its fruity, sweet taste. The sour component is more interesting a more difficult to pinpoint. It as if a hint of vinegar were added to the mix. It's far from offensive and actually adds character. Surprisingly, it works pretty well. It's nice and malty which adds more to the sweet taste. Alcohol is certainly noticeable and has a warming effect on the way down. But, it's blended about as well as it can be for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied bordering on thick. Definitely a sipper. It's carbonated well and is relatively smooth. Far from a spectacular feel, but it's very good. Drinkability is limited in my opinion. It's certainly above average considering its intriguing and complex flavor. But, due to the 18% abv and the very sweet taste, I'd be very hard pressed to finish a complete 750. Fortunately I'm splitting the one I have. It's just a little too big and too sweet to warrant further consumption.

Fort is an interesting beer. No doubt it's a novelty that's worth checking out. I'd throw out suggestions for improving it, but I'm certain that it's exactly as Dogfish Head intended. I'll take it as it is and judge it accordingly. Definitely worth picking up, even if only once.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Slight head on an beer that resembles something between an old ale and barleywine. Not a hint of redness. Nose more like a old ale. Lots of raspberries here but the beer base is very strong. Bitter and missing some balance. Heavy mouthfeel and higher than expected carbonation. Bought 2, but 1 would have been enough. Will see how it ages.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First, I liked this, but as I was having dinner at a local gastropub with a great draft list, I put this on my tasting list at the end of the meal, as or with dessert.

It was served in a small, six oz snifter. In the glass, it was dark orange color, hazy with a 1/4 inch of tight packed foam on the top when I got it. The nose was huge, with lots of tart raspberries and sweetness. The first taste is lots of raspberry and sweetness, with a little subtle bread in the back of the throat. I didn't pick up on the alcohol the way I should have. My wife tried it, who doesn't like beer, and said she liked it. The mouthfeel was lighter than I thought as well, only slightly heavy, with more carbonation than I expected. Overall, this was a very good sipper for dessert, and saved me from eating something I shouldn't.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a murky cloudy gold with no head or lacing.

The aroma is medium with a dominant alcoholic raspberry marshmellow.

The taste is mostly alcohol that burns on the way down with a very little amount of alcohol.

The feel is nice it coasts your throat like cough syrup.

Despite the abv it is actually totally drinkable, I could totally crush this and as bonus bet cracked.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something more fruity to kill the alcohol. Instead there was a slight sweetness that merely muted the alcohol. This has potential but its not quite there yet.

Bottled On: 2011 10:33

A: Pours a golden sunset color with big hues of pink. Not much of a head, but given the abv thats no surprise

S: Raspberries, alcohol, and some light malts. Fairly dominated by the first 2

T: Same as the nose, big on the raspberries and alcohol. The abv is actually hidden fairly well, I would have guessed around 11-12%, as the huge amount of raspberry seems to tone it down a little. Sweetness and alcohol linger, with the sweetness winning out for about 10 seconds after. I guess the ton of raspberries used pays off after all

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. With the abv, I'm surprised at the level of carbonation that is present (which is a good thing, as it helps wash away the booze)

O: A very interesting and delicious take on a fruit beer. The sweetness and alcohol balance out quite nicely and make this dangerously drinkable, albeit still a sipper that should take at least an hour to finish a 10-12 oz serving

3.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Raspberries and beer are one of my favorite combos. This caught my eye on my last trip to my favorite beer store. It wasn't until the next day when I looked at my receipt that I realized that I had paid $20 for this bottle of brew... Oh well it must be pretty good.

A - It pours a nice cloudy red. As would be expected from the heavy presence of berries in this beer.

S - It smells extremely sweet. Extremely appetizing. I had high expectations for this beer.

T - The first taste is sweet. All of the berries come through and make it etremely enjoyable. Only after you swallow do you taste the extreme alchohol taste. I guess it's hard to disguise an 18%ABV beer. This stuff will warm your soul on a cold winter day!

D - One bottle and done! I am trying my best to finish up my 22oz bottle as I write this review. Way more typos that I usually have. This stuff will light you fire. One of these with dinner will probably set you straight.

M - Again, on first taste it's rather enjoyable. I've enjoyed some rasberry lambic's in Belgium that were just as sweet but went down a little smoother. I'm not sure what they were striving for in this beer but the high alcohol content certainly shines through.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

drank on 6.14.08 with bro in law jason. sse.

great looking beer. nice brown color with reddish tints. a little light on the head however. the smell was slightly dissapointing, just expected more from what I come to expect from DFH. of course there was a fruit smell, just thought it would have more ooomph to the smell. the taste made up for the lack of smell. the nice part about the taste was its subtlety in its fruit delivery, very nicely done.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Amber in color with a copper/reddish hue. A negligible amount of head appears after a vigorous pour.

Smell is of candy sugar, alcohol and ripened fruit. Taste begins with tart, ripened berries and quickly develops into an alcohol tinged finish. Good lord alcohol is right out there. Not undrinkable, but you feel it, and the drinkability suffers as a result. I don't regret the purchase, but it will not be bought again. Share this one with friends or be prepared to be on your ass. Cheers.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Fort for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this one for a while and since this is the first time I've ever seen it on the shelf I though I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks good, it's goes well with the beer and it's a little eye catching. It poured a darker orange color that took on an orange and pink color when held to the light and it had a quarter of a fingers worth of bubbly white head that faded to nothing and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but it would be better if it had better head and some actual lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with a sweet raspberry aroma being the first to show up and it imparts a sweet raspberry jam like aroma that's slightly medicinal and it goes into the booze which is very noticeable, and pretty boozy. Up next comes the malts which just impart a sweet malt and pale malt like aroma with a little a bit of doughy yeast and towards the end it has a little bit of a candy like aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but it's pretty boozy and sweet.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but not as rough around the edges and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the raspberry being the first to show up and it imparts a sweet raspberry juice and jam like aromas that are just slightly medicinal and that goes into the booze, which is noticeable and pretty warming, but it's a little lighter than it was in the aroma and the sweetness is a little lighter too. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast which goes into the malts which are lighter than they were in the aroma and they just impart some sweet malt and grainy flavors. On the finish there's a little bit of bitterness with some tartness and boozy showing up and it has a candied raspberry, sweet and boozy aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, it's sweet and boozy, but it's like a more refined version of the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, a little cloying, fairly boozy, pretty damn warming, sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it was smoother with the alcohol hidden a little better.

Overall I thought it was a pretty nice beer and it's a nice example of the style, it's one big, sweet and intense beer, but that's always to be expected with these really high gravity beers from Dogfish Head and it did deliver when it came to the raspberry flavors. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, it might start to get too boozy and sweet after that. What I like the most about this beer is the balance in the taste, it was better than the balance in the aroma. What I like the least about this beer is the sweetness and boozyness, I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I might buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down and I would be interested to see how this one ages. I recommend trying this beer if you like raspberries and you can handle lots of sweetness and booze. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, I see what they are going for and it lives up to being a high gravity raspberry Ale. but when it comes down to it it's a little tough to drink more than 6 ounces of it. It's not a favorite Dogfish Head beer and it's a nice example of the style. Nice job guys, this is one big and intense raspberry beer, keep it up.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this one better than I did. The fruit is nice, but it is more in the nose than on the palate, and the kick almost overwhelms everything. It was actually better after it had warmed a bit and lost some of its carbonation. I would drink it again, but not regularly, and more to share as a novelty than for the simple pleasure of drinking it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

poured the color of a dried apricot with a fizzy head that disappeared about a quickly as it formed.

Raspberries noticable but nowhere near as sweet or fruit forward as I had imagined. for some reason I thought there was going to be a raspberry puree vibe to the nose. That said it's still a nice nose.

Taste is pretty monochromatic. Obviously raspberry, but it tastes like raspberry flavor dumped into a barley wine. Not all I had hoped for but not awful.

A bit slick in the mouth, thinish body with a dry finish.

Woah watch out for this one ,it'll put you down quick if you're not careful

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer poured crystal clear amber golden with a white and wispy head which fizzed like a carbonated soda and left the building just as quickly.

The aroma was raspberries and cherries as the carbonation flashed away. After the intial rise and demise of the head the aroma became a low level raspberry aroma with a strong fruity presence. The raspberries were easier to detect from further away than from directly over the glass. Some slight spice was present due to the alcohol in the aroma.

The flavor was alcoholic and lightly fruity with only a brief reminder that the beer was supposed to contain rapberries. The flavor was brash with a strong impression of alcohol which warmed the palate from first sip. The flavor was fruity, but not complex and not well balanced. A bitter flavor was present, but it did not seem to emerge from hopping.

The finish was dry with a harsh alcohol presence long and lasting into the aftertaste. The body was medium full and the carbonation was very, very low. The alcohol in this beer really caused quite a bit of warming and was harsh and burning.

The beer was certainly not a favorite and reminded me of an almost failed attempt to copy Troegs Mad Elf with raspberries and to see how far alcohol could be taken in a beer at the same time. It was not awful, but it was not complex, more an extremely strong beer with raspberries. For the price of admission, I'll pass next time.

750 ml bottle. Bottled on 11/28/05, $19 at OUAV.

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

The only keg we got in the DFW on tap at my favorite local pub-poured into a chimay goblet.

Pours ruby red with a nice reddish head. Smells very sweet-raspberry aroma really comes through. Tastes as sweet-I've had this in a bottle as well and the alcohol and overall sweetness is subdued on tap. The owner appearently cellared the keg for a few months which I'm sure has something to do with it. Nice malty backbone which helps to mellow the sweetness as well. Smooth and flavorful-I've never tasted anything quite like this. 18% abv was there but not as in your face as you'd think. Not one you could down all night-one was just enough for me.

Very happy I got the oppurtunity to try this on tap. Definately not to be missed if you get the chance.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery