Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,297 |  Reviews: 564
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle, bottled in 2008. Pours a hazy amber color, with a very subtle pink hue. White head disappears immediately.

Raspberry aroma, with a huge blast of fusal alcohol. Some faint lighter malt in the nose, but mostly buried in booze.

A bit of lighter malt starts off. Some sour raspberry character. A bit of earthy hops and a lot of booze. A slight pucker at the end.

Lighter side of medium body, carbonation is also light. Huge boozy character, even after 2 years. Very unique, and an interesting thing here. A little certainly goes a long way.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Bought a 750 mL bottle on Presidents Day, and opened it tonight and drank it pretty much right out of the fridge. I was considering letting it age until the summer or something but then I thought, screw it just drink it.

"Bottled on 11.28.05" Label is kinda cool.

I poured into my Orval goblet. Amber/orange with white froth that did not last long in a wide-mouthed goblet.

Smells of alcohol. Or as Michael Jackson says, "pepper." My inferior nose doesn't pick up any raspberries no matter how hard I sniff.

The taste is also warmingly alcoholic. It's like a fruit-flavored barley wine, actually. I do pick up fruit undertones, but the alcohol is so dominant. The more I drink, the more I'm reminded of cough syrup (which I hear is a placebo). It's kind of creamy as well.

At the end there's an earthy note. It's woody/grainy. And creamy. And warming, of course.

In retrospect, maybe I should have waited to open this bottle. Or let it warm up a little. It's not bad, but I'm not blown away by this ale. Although, kudos to DFH for making this so friggin' strong. Nothing wrong with that.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the Trading Post Market in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho of all places, they had about 5 of them out on display near the wines. The cashier commented on the price (almost $17 US), and said that she'd never drink anything that was called "Dogfish". The bag boy just looked at me with quiet sullen contempt, probably imagining all the cans of Schlitz he could have ponied up with for that amount spent on the one bottle of weird fucked up beer. I hastily exited....

Comes in a 750 ml brown magnum, only capped, a green-eyed redheaded maiden on the label blowing raspberry kisses. Pours out a cloudy, no...make that murky hazelnut tone, forced highlights of bright pink when held to the light. The head is a quick creamy off-white splash with little retention, leaving a thick creamy ring on top of the beer.

Aroma is boozy with the smell of fermented raspberries, vinuous notes, slight alcohol warmth.

Flavour is instantly warmed by alcohol content, malt is bready, tart red currants, really only the faintest traces of raspberry--I have a feeling the berries were used to help up the abv% to what it more than to substantially flavour this. Or perhaps the alcohol presence is too overwhelming to give the raspberries a chance. Definitely more reminiscent of wine with the exception of the malt content.

Mouthfeel, while a bit acidic from the alcohol content from the fruit, is pretty balanced, on the lighter side of medium-bodied, but still smooth.

Not sure if I have an inkling to try one of these again, especially at the price tag. Definitely some sipping stuff and best shared with others who appreciate trying extreme beers like this. Impressive that they managed to pull something like this off, but it still doesn't wow me.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Wasn't a fan of this, tasted like a thick raspberry medicine. This could use some aging on it.

*2008 Vintage*

From notes taken on 6/10/11

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a crystal clear amber with a fizzy one finger head that leaves very little side lacing and a small halo.

S - Malty sweetness and super light raspberries. There are LOTS of ABV on the nose.

T - Its not bad. Tough to gauge this one. There is some raspberry/strawberry notes and they are pretty god. Unfortunately its all muddled/killed by the still very potent ABV.

M - Medium carbonation and slightly syrupy. The ABV is still noticeable.

O - Overall this isnt a bad beer, it just needs more time on it for things to smooth out. Its close though.

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle sample courtesy of Milos- A slightly hazed orange/deep gold, with a thin ring of white head. Nose is raspberry puree with sugar and alcohol, pungent hops,perfume and some oak. Tastes very strong. Of alcoholic raspberries with a bunch of fresh hops added in. Potent. A bit woodsy with a metallic twang towards the end from the alcohol. Pretty intense overall, but as it warms it does grow on you and becomes more enjoyable. Strong fruity finish with lengthy hop bitterness. Good stuff. Thanks Milos!

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%

This was served from a 750ml bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. It was bottled on 11/13/06 and consumed on 1/24/06. It pours a beautiful red color with a very thin off white head that dies quickly. It smells more like wine than beer actually. Behind the strong winey smell is a slight raspberry aroma. I forgot while I was first drinking it that it is 18% alcohol, but in retrospect that explains the taste well. It reminds me of port wine, but is less sweet and slightly hotter. The raspberry flavor is only present in the background. This is a very light bodied beer. I'm not sure whether I like this beer or not. I suppose for 18% ABV, the hotness is to be expected in such a light beer, but it does make it slightly hard to drink. The flavor behind the hotness is good though, and if you're looking to get drunk, this will work. I have a second bottle that I am going to let age for at least a year and try it again. I expect that some of the hotness will be gone by then.

3.54/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, bottled 10/23/2015. Finally getting around to reviewing this one from Dogfish Head, always excited to try something new from them. No abv listed on the bottle anywhere.

Poured into a Big Eddy snifter glass.

A - Pours a deep golden orange body with hues of red / pink. Less than a finger of wispy white head. Thickish in appearance, with slow-rising carb. Sediment visible.

S - Aroma of juicy / tart raspberry puree, and lots of hot boozy alcohol fumes. Still on the fresh side, the beer smells "young" in terms of booze heat.

T - Taste follows the nose: tart / juicy authentic raspberries, and lots of warming alcohol. Big boozy alcohol bite. Sweet, tart, and fruity, but the alcohol content is strong and noticeable, somewhat overpowering.

M - Feel is syrupy, semi-thickish. Very hot with the booze heat. Low carb, not terribly easy to put down stuff. Definitely a sipper.

Overall, a hot boozy monster of an ale. I liken it to a more alcoholic version of Founders Blushing Monk. I would be very interested to see what some serious age could do to one of these bottles.

Dogfish Head Fort -----3.5/5

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Dogfish head Fort ABV: 18% Bottled in 2008!

A: Beautiful looking beer. Has a redish to yellow tint to it. minimal to no head or lacing.

S: The smell is of fruits(mostly raspberries) and red wine. This beer smells and taste sweet! Has a very unique smell and very advertising.

T: Taste of a very wonderful sweet red wine. Has a raspberry taste with a hint of wheat, hops and malts. This beer is very balanced, but has a distinctive bite... The alcohol!!

M-D: From what I said earlier has a balanced taste and the flavors of the beer just go together greatly. This beer is a sharing beer... I am, of course, sharing this with my bro. This beer I would drink only one a night and have others to sip on. Good "Chilling" beer!!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks beautiful when it's in the glass, smells like raspberries and the initial sip is good. My only issue is the aftertaste. It's super boozy and to me a little metalic. It's 18% so definitely a sipping beer.

Poured from 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. Bottled on date 11/13/06

Appearance: Dark red/amber. Pours a 1 inch thick fluffy white head. Very, very murky in color.

Smell: what do you know! Raspberries!!! Smells is of very sweet raspberry and alcohol.

Taste: RASPBERRY! is the first thing you taste and taste all the way through, hop flavor isnt very noticable. Certainly extremely high malt and sweetness come through and leaves a very noticable taste of alcohol when swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sweet almost like cough syrup. The alcohol is certainly there and dries out the mouth and makes you salivate.

Overall: Certainly a very unique beverage that pushes the envelope and even expands the definition of what beer is. Extremely high a/c makes this one a slow sipper to be shared amongst friends and to discuss the different feelings that are had about it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into my DFH goblet.

Appears a cloudy orange brown with a thin rim of head remaining.

Smells very boozy with a tart citric nip to the nose.

Taste is boozy up front and finishes out with a subtle bitter to sweet raspberry burst. Alcohol definitely cones through.

Mouthfeel is complex with a variety of bitterness and subtle sweetness to it. Again, high abv is not lost... It's a sipper.

Overall an interesting beer experience. I'm partial to a Lindeman's framboise but I'm prone to a sweet tooth when not drinking hop bombers.

Bottled 2009. Poured into DFH Signature Glass

A- Dark copper pour with deep ruby red highlights. Carbonation is insane in this creating a finger width soapy white head. Lacing is remarkable.

S- Not sure what sticks out more; the alcohol or the raspberries. Both very strong. They are duking it out in my nose. Vanilla and faint cane sugar. Alcohol and raspberries smells blend together to give a slight sour/vinegar smell.

T- Brown sugar, tart raspberries which are much more noticeable than the nose. Very warming alcohol. Much sweeter than I imagined it would be.

M- Smooth and silky, alcohol burning all the way down. Sweet and smooth finish.

I finished the bottle solo, part of me is glad I did but the alcohol and acidity from the raspberries is doing a number on my stomach. Would be enough to split this with one or two extra people.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a pink-orange color with an off-white head. The head fizzled away leaving minimal lacing. Had an aroma of raspberries and something else that I could not identify. Raisins? Maybe it was the high alcohol mixed with fruit...but the aroma honestly reminded me of Raison D'Extra. Tasted of tart raspberries, sweet malts, brown sugar...raisins...and BOOZE. This beer certainly does not mask the high alcohol.

On the thin side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I wasn't a huge fan of this one and I stuck with just a 4oz pour. Unique, yes...drinkable...not really.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this beer to be quite enjoyable, not multi-dimensional by any means, but the raspberry succulence more than made up for the lack of malt character. A bigger malt body and mouthfeel would be nice, but I was impressed by the fruit character (which was lush and authentic) in both the aroma and flavor. I thought the alcohol was well hidden as well, making for a pretty enjoyable experience.

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

big 750ml, split amongst 4 people (thank god)...served in chalices. 2009 vintage.

A - a bit of a dull, muddy reddish/purple/brown color...was exepecting more red from the massive amount of berries. very thin film of bubbles, no lacing or foam.

S - loads of raspberries, cough syrup, alcohol...about it, though not bad.

T - berries struggle to fight through a massive bozzy alcohol flavor. they do come through, just barely, and losing any sense of freshness or tart along the way.

M - thick and syrupy, with barely any carbonation. ALCOHOL BURN.

D - interesting as expected, but i was really hoping for a bigger fruit profile and less booze. dont bother with this until 5+ years, but by that time the fruit will probably be stale.

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a hazy amber color with not much head because of the high abv. There are definately raspberries in the aroma along with a good dose of alcohol fumes as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Alcohol definately makes it's presence both initially and at the end that gives a long dry warming effect in the throat. This is like no other beer I have tried so it does get some creativity points. Overall, a good beer that would be great without the extreme alcohol presence. I will definately try again in the colder winter months.

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less.

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

Older bottle (11-28-05), not worried about date though, given abv - actually hoping age would knock it down a little. Poured in a 0,3l Nørrebor Bryghus flute.

A - Sharp gleaming golden orange with hints toward pink. Very attractive. Tight fizzy head foams up nicely, but retracts quickly, with some champagne-like effervescence, though much tighter in bubbles.

N - Grainy at first, plenty of cereal, then blossoming into a mild fruity sweetness with berry and warm sugar all wrapped up. I have to say that the nose is very nice, with little alcohol and a seemingly fine balance.

T - Grainy flavors up front quickly erode into soft ripe berries, just a tinge over-sweet, mildly syrupy, but not out of character for what I expected (and definitely cut down by the alcohol). Somewhat dry and rather balanced, without more raspberry than needed, and certainly not lacking. Most substantial detraction is alcohol, which sits much too highly on the palate, fuming sharply, creating the sensation of a jell-o shot - with fruity enticing body and sharp distilled grain-like fumes hitting throat and nasal passage. A mild spice lingers after fumes die down post-sip, hinting at more depth and some of the age starting to show through, though honestly, age isn't really notable in oxidation or deepening of flavor or balance. Some decanting really helps taste here, oxidizing slightly (where it hadn't in the bottle) and breathing some of the fumes off.

M - fuzzy carbonation on the tongue with a mild slightly sticky body. Alcohol cuts, hums, and burns in different amounts at different times in the sip, and kind of interrupts and otherwise very nicely balanced feel.

D - Hard to assert a consistent opinion on this, even in my own mind. Some sips linger with a nice grain supported fruit flavor that leaves me wanting more. Others, when I hold too long, or swallow too quickly, cut with alcohol fumes, not just burning, but sharp. I find that the more I drink, the better it balances, but alcohol is notably deceptive that way. Warming improves slightly. I've had this before (a bottling date of about a year less), and recall it being richer with more balanced alcohol. A fine beer worth trying, and one I'm not remorse at having, but not one I'll likely seek out, though as fruit beers go, it's up there on my list.

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%

A- pours a murky dull orange, thin head. Decent head retention, no lacing.

S- smells like a sour/tart.

T- slighty sour. Fruity, would say raspberry because I know better hah. Boozy N' wild, don't bother this guy none.

M- medium mouthfeel, spot of carbonation I feel.

D/O- split between a few people for the girlfriends bday, we all enjoyed. Liked more than my score would indicate. Another experimental success in my book from DFH. Thanks MammothBrew!

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery