Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,313 |  Reviews: 569
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into my DFH goblet.

Appears a cloudy orange brown with a thin rim of head remaining.

Smells very boozy with a tart citric nip to the nose.

Taste is boozy up front and finishes out with a subtle bitter to sweet raspberry burst. Alcohol definitely cones through.

Mouthfeel is complex with a variety of bitterness and subtle sweetness to it. Again, high abv is not lost... It's a sipper.

Overall an interesting beer experience. I'm partial to a Lindeman's framboise but I'm prone to a sweet tooth when not drinking hop bombers.

Bottled 2009. Poured into DFH Signature Glass

A- Dark copper pour with deep ruby red highlights. Carbonation is insane in this creating a finger width soapy white head. Lacing is remarkable.

S- Not sure what sticks out more; the alcohol or the raspberries. Both very strong. They are duking it out in my nose. Vanilla and faint cane sugar. Alcohol and raspberries smells blend together to give a slight sour/vinegar smell.

T- Brown sugar, tart raspberries which are much more noticeable than the nose. Very warming alcohol. Much sweeter than I imagined it would be.

M- Smooth and silky, alcohol burning all the way down. Sweet and smooth finish.

I finished the bottle solo, part of me is glad I did but the alcohol and acidity from the raspberries is doing a number on my stomach. Would be enough to split this with one or two extra people.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a pink-orange color with an off-white head. The head fizzled away leaving minimal lacing. Had an aroma of raspberries and something else that I could not identify. Raisins? Maybe it was the high alcohol mixed with fruit...but the aroma honestly reminded me of Raison D'Extra. Tasted of tart raspberries, sweet malts, brown sugar...raisins...and BOOZE. This beer certainly does not mask the high alcohol.

On the thin side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I wasn't a huge fan of this one and I stuck with just a 4oz pour. Unique, yes...drinkable...not really.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this beer to be quite enjoyable, not multi-dimensional by any means, but the raspberry succulence more than made up for the lack of malt character. A bigger malt body and mouthfeel would be nice, but I was impressed by the fruit character (which was lush and authentic) in both the aroma and flavor. I thought the alcohol was well hidden as well, making for a pretty enjoyable experience.

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

big 750ml, split amongst 4 people (thank god)...served in chalices. 2009 vintage.

A - a bit of a dull, muddy reddish/purple/brown color...was exepecting more red from the massive amount of berries. very thin film of bubbles, no lacing or foam.

S - loads of raspberries, cough syrup, alcohol...about it, though not bad.

T - berries struggle to fight through a massive bozzy alcohol flavor. they do come through, just barely, and losing any sense of freshness or tart along the way.

M - thick and syrupy, with barely any carbonation. ALCOHOL BURN.

D - interesting as expected, but i was really hoping for a bigger fruit profile and less booze. dont bother with this until 5+ years, but by that time the fruit will probably be stale.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a hazy amber color with not much head because of the high abv. There are definately raspberries in the aroma along with a good dose of alcohol fumes as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Alcohol definately makes it's presence both initially and at the end that gives a long dry warming effect in the throat. This is like no other beer I have tried so it does get some creativity points. Overall, a good beer that would be great without the extreme alcohol presence. I will definately try again in the colder winter months.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

Older bottle (11-28-05), not worried about date though, given abv - actually hoping age would knock it down a little. Poured in a 0,3l Nørrebor Bryghus flute.

A - Sharp gleaming golden orange with hints toward pink. Very attractive. Tight fizzy head foams up nicely, but retracts quickly, with some champagne-like effervescence, though much tighter in bubbles.

N - Grainy at first, plenty of cereal, then blossoming into a mild fruity sweetness with berry and warm sugar all wrapped up. I have to say that the nose is very nice, with little alcohol and a seemingly fine balance.

T - Grainy flavors up front quickly erode into soft ripe berries, just a tinge over-sweet, mildly syrupy, but not out of character for what I expected (and definitely cut down by the alcohol). Somewhat dry and rather balanced, without more raspberry than needed, and certainly not lacking. Most substantial detraction is alcohol, which sits much too highly on the palate, fuming sharply, creating the sensation of a jell-o shot - with fruity enticing body and sharp distilled grain-like fumes hitting throat and nasal passage. A mild spice lingers after fumes die down post-sip, hinting at more depth and some of the age starting to show through, though honestly, age isn't really notable in oxidation or deepening of flavor or balance. Some decanting really helps taste here, oxidizing slightly (where it hadn't in the bottle) and breathing some of the fumes off.

M - fuzzy carbonation on the tongue with a mild slightly sticky body. Alcohol cuts, hums, and burns in different amounts at different times in the sip, and kind of interrupts and otherwise very nicely balanced feel.

D - Hard to assert a consistent opinion on this, even in my own mind. Some sips linger with a nice grain supported fruit flavor that leaves me wanting more. Others, when I hold too long, or swallow too quickly, cut with alcohol fumes, not just burning, but sharp. I find that the more I drink, the better it balances, but alcohol is notably deceptive that way. Warming improves slightly. I've had this before (a bottling date of about a year less), and recall it being richer with more balanced alcohol. A fine beer worth trying, and one I'm not remorse at having, but not one I'll likely seek out, though as fruit beers go, it's up there on my list.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

A- pours a murky dull orange, thin head. Decent head retention, no lacing.

S- smells like a sour/tart.

T- slighty sour. Fruity, would say raspberry because I know better hah. Boozy N' wild, don't bother this guy none.

M- medium mouthfeel, spot of carbonation I feel.

D/O- split between a few people for the girlfriends bday, we all enjoyed. Liked more than my score would indicate. Another experimental success in my book from DFH. Thanks MammothBrew!

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

Picked up a bomber in early January from Sportsmans for $15.59.

Beer poured a red orange color with a decent head initially. Initial impression was one of pouring a glass of wine. Nose has a very wine like pleasantness, very heavy of raspberry puree. Taste initially was heavy on alcohol but settles down afterwards into a steady source of heat. It is pretty nice, of raspberry malts with an almost dark chocolate bitterness. Mouthfeel is light bodied but very smooth. Drinkability would be very good if sharing the bottle as an after dinner apertif. I believe this would pair well with dark chocolate. I honestly did not know what I was getting into before trying this. I am not sure if i want to take on the whole bottle in one sitting. This is worth a try but something I will not go after again,

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured out a reddish orange brown color, with a thin white bubbly head. The nose is raspberry, alcohol, some slight floral notes, honey, malt. The taste is honey, raspberry, fruit, alcohol, fig, stone fruit. Has a medium body mouthfeel, the alcohol bites you. I wonder what this would taste like aged another 10-15 years. This is a better beer than the ratings reflect.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery