Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Reviews: 561 | Ratings: 1,290

750ml bottle poured into an 8oz tulip. 2008 Bottle

Pours a very deep dark cloudy amber with no head but a bit of off white lacing. Nose is both boozy and fruity, the respberries are hiddn by the alcohol at first by come through as it warms.

Taste is a bit boozy as to be expected, age seems to help a bit. It's very fruity and smooth and still pretty drinkable. This is almost like a fruit wine than a beer, very interesting and worth trying!

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled 2008.

A - This pours out a totally hazed pink hued apricot orange hue with a low cream head. Poor retention probably from the alcohol and light lace.

S - Light raspberries on the nose, fresh, but light with a very fruity, boozy nose. The level of alcohol definitely comes out in the nose. A lot of phenols. Mango, light pineapple, and some strawberries. No hops. The malt is the but pushed back.

T - The flavor is rich with phenol and fusel alcohol. A combo of nail polish remover and deep fruits of mango, pineapple, and rich raspberries. Tons of malts in the background.

M - Medium-bodied and smooth with a lingering sweet fruitiness and alcohol burn. A moderate carbonation finish spritzes it up a bit.

D - Between the alcohol and fruity sweetness, it's a great beer but not terribly drinkable. One best split with some people. A party brew.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From time to time I get the chance to try the exotic, and Dogfish head stuff is usually pretty out there.
I was impressed by the look, smell, and taste. While a little fruity, it was still pretty good. It's difficult to describe exactly, but imagine a heavy hefeweizen with strong fruit-like undertones.
While I liked the taste, the moment the beer got to my stomach something said 'stop.' I felt that beer much more than I tasted it, and couldn't finish a whole glass. It wasn't just the high alcohol content either, the stuff was just too heavy for me. If you're into very heavy beers, and very fruity beers, the Fort is your dream. If not, though, take in small doses. This is definitely a sipper to be shared with a large group of people.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-amber hue with very minimal head or lacing -- just too much alcohol to retain carbonation.

Smell: Raspberries (obviously), but also a heavy licorice smell that advertises the abv pretty well. It smells appropriately boozy.

Taste: At first glance, it almost tastes like someone mixed together raspberry juice and scotch -- very boozy, but with enough sweetness and hops to balance a bit. There is definitely a heavy aftertaste, but with this much alcohol you'd have to expect that.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and a bit syrup-y. I was definitely nursing this a bit -- it gets overwhelming in bigger gulps.

Drinkability: Between the high alcohol and the liquor-like taste and feel, I'm not sure I could drink more than one glass. But why would you need to?

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Quite psyched to try this forte at the brewpub last week with a couple BA buds.

Pours a clear mellow twinge cherry red with absolutely no head cap to speak of.

Aroma is light dry vinous in effect, with a suggestion of the cherry aspects.

First swigs: Impressive dry delicate (again) vinous dry chardonay like that amazingly hides the awl-kee-hawl aspect. 18%???!!! Knock me over with a feather! This "ah-hem!" BEER (so to speak) is a beguling mixture of hooch, beer and wine.

Forte has a thin escaping light body that seemingly escapes from the glass to my gullet. Oh, wait... I poured it out like that.

Last swigs: Is FORTE sooo good because it's only available at the brewpub? No. I'm not going to give the old "I had some and you didn't so it's great" act, but it is impressive enough to say WOW! and Sam Calgione is amazing at his craft. Seriously!!!

Beer is good, except at DH...GREAT!!!

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

A : Pours a cloudy brownish, orangeish, amber color with a thin offwhite head that fades away pretty quickly

S : Tart raspberries with a hint of alcohol

T : You can definitely taste the raspberries. They provide a nice tart and sweet taste to the beer. The alcohol sneaks in behind it and comes on strong

M : Full bodied with good carbonation

D : You better share this bottle with the high alcohol content. One I would buy again but not that often. The cost affects that.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Been waiting to is finally try this brew. Huge ABV fruit beer? Unheard of. 750ml bottle...

A: Deep golden ruby copper with a thick 1 inch off white head that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: Cherry tartness upfront blended with some super sweet raspberries. Heavy port and alcohol booziness in the middle. Nice malty oak on the backend. Good.

T: Starts with a sharp bite of alcohol quickly followed by very strong raspberry flavor. Super sugary fruity malts in the middle with some hints of breadiness on the backend. Good.

M: Very thick bodied with a huge heavy carbonation. Decent.

D: Wow, despite the huge ABV, this goes down surprisingly easy! Dogfish has definitely mastered the art of making super boozy beers very drinkable. Very good.

All in all, this is a great brew. I thought the ABV would totally ruin this one, but it goes down super easy. This is one of the best fruit beers I have tasted yet. If you like big beers and nice strong beers with some sweet fruity flavors blended in, then definitely find this one and try it.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

On-tap @ Prime 16 into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Ruby-amber body with cherry glints; small white head quickly disappears, leaving a tiny ring around the edge. Just what I'd expect from a beer this strong.

S: Alcohol, toenail polish (in a good way); tart raspberries on the finish. Big, bold, and inviting.

T: Crisp raspberries, warm booze, and a tart finish. Powerful, aggressive, and straightforward. I'm a fan.

M: Medium body with mouth-coating stickiness and just enough bubbles to stave off cloyingness.

D: Extremely impressive for the astronomical ABV. Simply Awesome.

Notes: Highly tasty and drinkable beer that packs a killer punch. Very extreme, very cool.

Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Dogfish Head Fort pours a reddish-brown color, slightly hazy with a white head that quickly fades to a thin layer around the edge of the glass. A pretty beer in my wine glass. Aroma is sweet raspberries. Taste is like a carbonated raspberry liqueur with the faintest bit of hop bitterness in the finish to remind you that you are drinking beer. These is definitely a beverage that pushers the boundaries of beer, but does it in a good way. Champagne-like mouthfeel, and alcohol is surprisingly hidden until I feel a nice warming sensation flow down my throat. A fascinating drink.

By the way, this is a deceptively strong beer - I suggest at least one other person to share it with.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

I guess you can't really fault the appearance since it's 18% alcohol by volume, but the head doesn't stick around real long and there's little lace. The aroma is nice and the mouthfeel is good, but despite the fact that they use real raspberries, there's an extract character to the flavor. That might be coming from the alcohol, however, as it's quite obvious. DFH has made better beers, and I expected a lot more from this one.
Rating: 3.67 / Look:3.5 Smell:4 Taste:3.5 Feel:4 Overall: 3.5

Re-review on 3 Jan 2017: From a 12 oz. bottle "BOTTLED ON 10/23/15". Geez, I didn't realize this sample was so old when I set out to write this, I just opened it and found it didn't fit my memory of the beer and thought it deserved an update. In any case, the alcohol that I'd found previously is much more refined. There's some, and as it's a strong beer I'd expect that, but it doesn't come off as "hot". That might be due to aging, but I'd imagine that it's actually due to fermentation process at the time it was made. The raspberry also appears real, and I'm guessing the two go hand in hand, with the excess alcohol having thrown it off in my previous sample. It's pretty bright and fresh, and nicely supported by the sweet malt that's behind it. It actually smells to me like sweetened raspberries. On top of that, although the head does drop, it still maintains a wide collar, and leaves some OK spotty lacing behind. So across the board I feel this beer scores at least a 4 in its current incarnation (or... it's incarnation from a year ago - maybe it's a candidate for aging!). I picture it now as a kind of Belgian-style fruit-barleywine, and I could easily imagine it in Belgium with a Belgian (young or old) sitting at the bar nursing it as a long-stretched after work beer or early weekend tipple while reading the paper. And my only problem with that, with treating it as a rich beer that you only occasionally sip (which I do often during the later evening), is that the fruitiness makes it almost compelling drinkable, continually drawing me back to it... I don't think it will last that long ;) All of my scores are now adjusted, with this beer coming way up from something I'd originally found flawed to something that's actually rather special.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a slightly rusty copper, fizzy head does form and a ring retains.

Nose is huge on raspberries but not much else aside from a bit of alcohol.

Flavor is exactly as expected - a solid touchpoint for me is Blushing Monk. This comes across like a 120 minute Blushing Monk in flavor mostly. The extra booze gives it a bit of a medicinal flavor which I'm hoping will dissipate with some time.

Feel is a bit brash, drying and more alcoholic than sweet. It's a nice beer, but I think some time will do it well.

Comparing it to a Blushing Monk (from memory) it has almost the exact same flavor, but the higher ABV really does bring the medicinal quality I'm not a big fan of. It doesn't have the glorious color or that incredibly mouthfeel either - it's possible the latter will come with time but probably no such luck with the former. It's nice, glad I have more, but one fresh was enough for now I think.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Look: Dark burnt orange with some ruby/ pink highlights topped off with a 1 finger white foamy head that quickly fades into a ring around the glass.

Smell: Juicy raspberries dominate the nose, alcohol is present.

Taste / Mouthfeel: Sweet raspberries, very juicy upfront followed by pungent warming alcohol, somewhat spicy in the finish. Mouth feel is clean and medium bodied.

Overall: Solid, a good brew to share with friends. I'd like to cellar a couple of these and see if the alcohol calms down a little bit.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz bottle from 2015 aged in wine fridge and poured into Kane chalice.

L: Tiny head that disappears almost right away. An 18% ABV will do that for you. No lacing, tiny ring. Beer is a mostly clear deep Amber.

S: The smell is all macerated raspberries, honey, and sweet malts. Surprisingly, you really can't pick up the alcohol.

T: But you can taste it. The good thing is after 2 years it has mellowed considerably, justifying my decision to skip a review then. Raspberries up front, with honey and sweet malts. Very much like a mead. Alcohol is there, but doesn't dominate finish, fortunately, and competes with sweetness.

F: Full bodied, medium carbonation. Balance much improved by aging. Construction simple, but good. OK drying or sweetness would become cloying. ABV heat there, but not overbearing.

O: A good once in every great while dessert beer. Definitely age this.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

3/4 Liter bottle received from LuckySevens82 and BIF33 - Team Spring.

A serious beer with a serious reputation for f'ing up the drinker!

Pours a near clear amber colored beer that somehow manages to form a heroic level of head despite the mighty alcohol level present.

Smell is light tasty raspberries and raspberry liqueur with faint aromas of malt and black pepper. Alcohol carries additional fruit smells to my nose mostly a delightful peach aroma. Intense distillate of fruit aromas here that is quite nearly a perfume.

Taste is lighter than expected almost more like raspberry vodka than a beer. Alcohol is noticeable in the taste but also carries a nice no artificial fruit flavor to my mouth. Raspberry and peach are about equal in flavor here. After a bit the alcohol bite lessens and the tarter fruit flavors show up in the taste. After a bit this gets really floral in flavor and reminds me of the taste of Rose Jam I ate in Turkey.

Mouthfeel is thinner than you would expect, must be all the alcohol.

An interesting beer to say the least it is much closer to a liquor than a beer. Quite close to drinking a fruit flavored perfume this is a beer best reserved for special occasions, and savored in small cups.

Vintage 2015
~6 months since bottle date

Appearance- Pours an orange, light amber color, transparent. Half finger thick, fizzy, slight off white colored head, dissipates quickly. Tons of sticky alcohol legs cling to glass.

Aroma- Tart, juicy raspberries, jammy. Sour apples, cherries, lemon, little bit of spiciness. Hints of fusel alcohol.

Taste- Raspberry puree, tart and juicy, subtle sweet maramalade. Tart cherries, cranberries, sweet honey, hints of spicy apple. Hot fusel alcohol notes linger with raspberries.

Feel- Medium feel, slightly syrupy but far less than you would think given the ABV. Moderate carbonation, lots of booziness.

Overall- Raspberry aroma and flavors are very authentic, wonderful fruity tartness with hints of sweetness. All sorts of other subtle fruit flavors come into play, adds a nice complexity. Beer is very hot at this age, all sorts of boozy notes but nothing that detracts from what the beer is. Well done for what its intended to be.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Dogfish Head Fort pours out a fluffy head over a pretty,
cloudy red brew. Carbonation is really active, and the
nose is exactly like fresh-picked raspberries. The flavor
is intense- raspberry of course, but also oak and alcohol.
The finish is a bit of hop and more fresh raspberry. The after-
taste, like the nose, is fresh raspberries. So the experience
gives you a soft, pleasant beginning, an intense second act,
and a gentle goodbye. The intensity does moderate as the
brew warms. The mouthfeel is very crisp indeed, a bit dry, and
a lot warming.

It doesn't say on the label, but a quick check of the Dogfish
Head website reveals that this brew is 18% alcohol, which makes
Fort the most powerful beer I've tasted up to this moment. That
alcohol is at once a problem and an opportunity. In my opinion this
is a remarkable brew- right now, as, I assume, a fairly young brew, it
is right on the razor's edge- if it was just a little more alcoholic, it would
be too much. This brew stays just on the good side of being out of control.
On the other hand, all that alcohol makes this the perfect candidate for
cellaring- this massive brew can only improve with age. But at whatever
age you crack this baby open, do it with friends- it only comes in 750ml
bottles, and that's almost too much- even for me...

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Cellared for about 9 months.

Appearance - Pours between an amber and ruby color, with more orange coming through when put up to the light. Head dissipates quickly, as expected from a beer with this ABV.

Smell - Heavy raspberry with a hint of dark fruit. Overwhelming sweetness, almost cotton candy-like. Smells like jam. Slight booze coming through as well.

Taste - Sweet raspberry and fruit flavor, followed by mellow Belgian funk. Lemon tartness cuts through the middle.

Feel - Significantly less syrupy then you would expect. Definite alcohol bite at the front of mouth. Throat warming from the high ABV. Finish is almost akin to a very dry cider.

Overall - Very tasty beer fruit beer worth sharing with some friends. It may be nostalgia, but I remember the original version (however long ago) having a bit more raspberry flavor coming through. I'm interested in leaving my last few bottles to see how they change over a few more years.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

A shame this beer. This particular bottle at least. Having just gone through my beer cellar inventory I had noticed this Fort, although being purchased in 2009, had a late 2006 production date. Originally I read the '08 for an '06 and so it is I realized for the first time I was cellaring a five year old beer. A five year old beer very high in unfermented sugar surely.

Disappointed. Unfortunately I've had too much exposure to oxidised fruit wine and that is exactly what I'm getting from this bottle. I'm sure in it's more youthful days it had a hint of Raspberry Port or Brandy. I can taste it, I can see it. A dark brown with a hint of ruby, Irish Red would be fitting. Age has killed any form of carbonation and like a geriatric bottle of red wine it oxidises almost immediately. You get a whiff of it's youth, then it's gone. Lost to the present. It's Mickey Rooney in a bottle. Drink it when it was married to Ava Gardener. Young is best, if you have a 2008 drink it NOW! It has most likely already climaxed and is on it's way to the grave.

This being said, I can drink past the oxidation. If you can overlook the vinegar and the flatness this beer has something to say, it has experience, it has a story to tell. I'm watching Citizen Kane as I drink this bottle. What a fitting analogy. My old Fort is surely on the decline, but it is a bottle that has truly lived. Not some lager. Some lager who started life in mediocrity and finished it's years in the as the same shit lager as it began. Your drinking the steady decline into hell. It's not a James Dean or a Grace Kelly, it's a M. Night Shymalan or a Steve McQueen. I'd rather drink a beer that was once great than one that was never great at all.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint 9 0z. bottle split with jramey2

A: Pours a bright reddish brown, can't see through it. Not much head.

S: Smells like sour raspberries.Think I detect a bit of yeast in the smell as well.

T. Tastes like raspberries and alcohol. Not sour like in the smell, a bit sweet, rather The high ABV doesn't mask it's presence so well likein the Raison D'Extra.

M:Medium body, more carbonation than I expected.

D: About a drinkable as a 18% ABV beer can be.

The world's strongest fruit beer is another good offering from Dogfish Head.

Dogfish Head Fort
750 ML brown bottle
Served in a St. Sebastiaan tulip glass

* Enjoyed with LB *

Pours a golden amber orange blend. Awesome head that leaves trails of sticky lacings. Thick, sudsy, foamy head.

Super intense nose with strong whiffs of blackberry, strawberries, rasberries and mangos. Pure berry delight.

Sweet, juicy berry flavors with a strong syrup quality. Incredibly intense sense of ripe, flavorful of fruit juice. I like how this beer is complex, unique and enjoyable. Don't underestimate the power of this brew.

This beer is extremely difficult beer to compare to. A totally original beer style and delivery. Another DFH beer that deserves much credit.

4.11/5  rDev +11.7%

Gave up after 4 months of cellaring and popped open the 750, served it a bit cooler than usual since I knew the two of us working this would be at it for over an hour with an AbV like this!

Poured into my tulip, a surprising orange colour. Not as red as raspberries made me think, but dark and orange. No head to talk about, but a very clear serum.

Smell is booze! After the first wave hits you, it's raspberries and perfume. Flowery and warm with a surprising characteristic I wasn't expecting - beer! From the description alone, I figured this would be a fizzy bottle of schnapps, but no, the malt is full and expressed, like a very very fine belgian. The yeast even makes a brief appearance in the nose. Fruity, yes, but meaty, too!

The taste is well, boozey. Vodka-boozey. Tart, sweet, hot. The raspberries become more floral if anything, the malt fades back, perhaps becomes more wheatey. Undertones of chalk, chocolate, and perhaps a single, solitary hop or pine needle.

Mouthfeel is only syrupy at times - I think the incredibly sweetness makes you want to describe it as thicker than it really is. Not much carbonation, sadly, but you'll get all the tingles you could want from the burning sensation! As drinkable as you'd expect, and the way the taste changs with the temperature keeps things interesting.

One to try, since I couldn't hope to accurately describe it. Worth the near-twenty dollars, and a good time even if you don't like it. Maybe we should change the term from 'hammered' to 'raspberried'.

4.11/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle from 2015. Color is orangey-amber, while there's little head formation to speak of. Smells strong and potent. Aroma is of ripe raspberries first and foremost with plenty of caramelized/brown sugar backing it up. Alcohol notes are surprisingly light.

Flavor is very sweet and very strong, as expected. There's more to it than that, though, unlike, say, Higher Math. Bit of alcohol burn on the finish, but not overpowering. Raspberries lend their flavor in a more subtle way than they contribute to the aroma -- it's not like a fruit liqueur, though the mouthfeel is a bit syrupy. It's also a bit harsh and fizzy. Strong, fruity, tasty. The very definition of a sipper. Enjoy with good company.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

$9 per snifter, on tap now at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Maryland.

Vibrant reddish hue with no head.

This is the best way I can describe this beer: It starts off tasting/feeling like a raspberry lambic, then halfway through (as you start to swallow) the taste/feel changes to more of a raspberry-flavored wheat beer, and then on the finish, it takes on the syrupy sweet strong-alcohol characteristics of Dogfish's World wide stout, or 120 min IPA. Nice and complex, this beer definitely works in stages.

At 18% alcohol, this beer goes down suprisingly smooth. I suppose most people couldnt have more than 1 glass, but this is a great dessert beer for sipping after your meal, which is what I did.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

I had been waiting to try this big fruit beer since I heard it was being released. The beer poured a nice red/orange color with a very vibrant body, almost like champagne. We drank this out of Lindeman's flutes. The aroma of this beer is a very strong, raspberry alcohol smell but pretty please. This reminds me of a wild raspbery liquor from Italy that I have in the house. The taste is very similar to a very bubbly champagne. The first taste you get from each sip is of the pleasant raspberry present but you then get hit with the high abv to remind you that this is a big beer and a DFH beer. I would go back for another bottle but would definitely split it with others.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

750 ml bottle with a bottled on date of 11/13/06. Fort pours a reddish/amber color with a half inch off-white head which went away very quickly. It smells fruity, like raspberries, plums, sherry and alcohol. Just pouring the beer into the glass the aroma comes out very quickly. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this brew, it tastes like tart (but not too tart) berries, pears and alcohol (port/sherry). The alcohol does hit you at first, but after a little while it settles down and the warming isn't bad at all. Obviously, more of the flavors comes out as the beer warms up a little bit. There's also a nice sweet fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium/full, with a good amount of carbonation. It's also a little syrupy and dry. Drinkability is very good, considering the 18% ABV. But it's definitely a sipping/dessert beer. The next time I drink one of these, I'm going to split it with someone instead of drinking the whole bottle myself like I just did. Another good, creative effort from DFH. I'd recommend it to others to try at least once.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery