Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,297 |  Reviews: 564
3.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Raspberries and beer are one of my favorite combos. This caught my eye on my last trip to my favorite beer store. It wasn't until the next day when I looked at my receipt that I realized that I had paid $20 for this bottle of brew... Oh well it must be pretty good.

A - It pours a nice cloudy red. As would be expected from the heavy presence of berries in this beer.

S - It smells extremely sweet. Extremely appetizing. I had high expectations for this beer.

T - The first taste is sweet. All of the berries come through and make it etremely enjoyable. Only after you swallow do you taste the extreme alchohol taste. I guess it's hard to disguise an 18%ABV beer. This stuff will warm your soul on a cold winter day!

D - One bottle and done! I am trying my best to finish up my 22oz bottle as I write this review. Way more typos that I usually have. This stuff will light you fire. One of these with dinner will probably set you straight.

M - Again, on first taste it's rather enjoyable. I've enjoyed some rasberry lambic's in Belgium that were just as sweet but went down a little smoother. I'm not sure what they were striving for in this beer but the high alcohol content certainly shines through.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

drank on 6.14.08 with bro in law jason. sse.

great looking beer. nice brown color with reddish tints. a little light on the head however. the smell was slightly dissapointing, just expected more from what I come to expect from DFH. of course there was a fruit smell, just thought it would have more ooomph to the smell. the taste made up for the lack of smell. the nice part about the taste was its subtlety in its fruit delivery, very nicely done.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Amber in color with a copper/reddish hue. A negligible amount of head appears after a vigorous pour.

Smell is of candy sugar, alcohol and ripened fruit. Taste begins with tart, ripened berries and quickly develops into an alcohol tinged finish. Good lord alcohol is right out there. Not undrinkable, but you feel it, and the drinkability suffers as a result. I don't regret the purchase, but it will not be bought again. Share this one with friends or be prepared to be on your ass. Cheers.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: It's extremely hazy and has an autumnal look. Looks slightly tangerine-esque in color. There's some light getting through, but it's impossible to see through it. Head is a little off white and only a finger deep. It receded quickly and left a light lacing on the glass.

Smell: The nose is incredibly inferior to what it should be. It's very weak. There are definitely rasberry and fruit notes in addition to a light alcohol aroma. Perhaps some light maltiness in there. It's virtually void of anything else here. Disappointing to say the least.

Taste: It's very sweet and has an interesting sour character to it. Certainly the rasberries are responsible for its fruity, sweet taste. The sour component is more interesting a more difficult to pinpoint. It as if a hint of vinegar were added to the mix. It's far from offensive and actually adds character. Surprisingly, it works pretty well. It's nice and malty which adds more to the sweet taste. Alcohol is certainly noticeable and has a warming effect on the way down. But, it's blended about as well as it can be for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied bordering on thick. Definitely a sipper. It's carbonated well and is relatively smooth. Far from a spectacular feel, but it's very good. Drinkability is limited in my opinion. It's certainly above average considering its intriguing and complex flavor. But, due to the 18% abv and the very sweet taste, I'd be very hard pressed to finish a complete 750. Fortunately I'm splitting the one I have. It's just a little too big and too sweet to warrant further consumption.

Fort is an interesting beer. No doubt it's a novelty that's worth checking out. I'd throw out suggestions for improving it, but I'm certain that it's exactly as Dogfish Head intended. I'll take it as it is and judge it accordingly. Definitely worth picking up, even if only once.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Slight head on an beer that resembles something between an old ale and barleywine. Not a hint of redness. Nose more like a old ale. Lots of raspberries here but the beer base is very strong. Bitter and missing some balance. Heavy mouthfeel and higher than expected carbonation. Bought 2, but 1 would have been enough. Will see how it ages.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First, I liked this, but as I was having dinner at a local gastropub with a great draft list, I put this on my tasting list at the end of the meal, as or with dessert.

It was served in a small, six oz snifter. In the glass, it was dark orange color, hazy with a 1/4 inch of tight packed foam on the top when I got it. The nose was huge, with lots of tart raspberries and sweetness. The first taste is lots of raspberry and sweetness, with a little subtle bread in the back of the throat. I didn't pick up on the alcohol the way I should have. My wife tried it, who doesn't like beer, and said she liked it. The mouthfeel was lighter than I thought as well, only slightly heavy, with more carbonation than I expected. Overall, this was a very good sipper for dessert, and saved me from eating something I shouldn't.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a murky cloudy gold with no head or lacing.

The aroma is medium with a dominant alcoholic raspberry marshmellow.

The taste is mostly alcohol that burns on the way down with a very little amount of alcohol.

The feel is nice it coasts your throat like cough syrup.

Despite the abv it is actually totally drinkable, I could totally crush this and as bonus bet cracked.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something more fruity to kill the alcohol. Instead there was a slight sweetness that merely muted the alcohol. This has potential but its not quite there yet.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer was bottled in 2008 with all aspects of being consumed at a later date that time is now 12/22/09. It boast a heavy dose of raspberry puree mixed with smooth wheat like complexes.

A- This beer shows a very confident pour of medium orange tainted fluid with light off white head that foams around the rim of the glass. Beautiful structure makes this one very inviting.

S- Fresh raspberries, slices of oranges, lemons and mild tart sweetness scents. Overall it is a wild berry scent with natural fruit tendencies. Major alcohol fumes burn the nose.

T-M- Very quick flavor of raw raspberries with a bitterness that makes you pucker your lips in sour sweetness. Nice consistancy of alcohol warmth is apparent. Mouthfeel is acidic and tartic with little carbonation to allow this big beer to go down. Different. Like a fine red wine i'd share it.

D- Drink when you get the chance but a wonderful beer to try to expand you horizons.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled in 2008.

Appearance: Small not really there white head. Peach/pink hues and hazy body. Okay lacing for such a high abv.

Smell: Sweet pleasant raspberry juice and very noticeable alcohol. Definitely a boozy beer.

Taste: Tart raspberries but overall not as much raspberry as I expected. The high alcohol really slows down the consumption of this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Somewhere between a pinkish-red and lighter orange. It reminds me of a rosé wine in some ways. Head isn't particularly large, which I would attribute to the alcohol content, presumably. What is there does stick around, though.

S: A big scent of raspberry, a little bit of a fruitcake-like breadiness. Some caramel notes, and the spiciness of the alcohol that isn't all that hidden - though not extremely warm.

T + M: Sweet and intense... but not intensely sweet. The raspberry is lacking the medicinal, perfume-like, chemical taste that typically comes with them. The alcohol is certainly well known, full and warming all the way down, without being hot or harsh. There's also a caramel quality to it that, along with the heaviness of the body, offers a nice dynamic to the beer.

D: I let this one sit for a little while before digging into it... and I think it's going to spend a lot more time sitting before I'm done. I suspect it may be enjoyed in two sessions rather than trying to finish something so big in one sitting - at least alone. It could make for a nice after dinner drink with someone special.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2008 750mL bottle served into a tulip. Thanks, GbVDave!

Pours an unexpected amber color with excellent clarity and transparency - very much the color of beer. I imagined that this would be all pink or something but all the visual indication that this is a fruit beer is the hint of red laced throughout the amber body. I wasn't expecting much head from an 18% ABV beer and I didn't get but half a finger at most. Some foam sticks to the glass when you turn the glass around in your hand but it doesn't lace per se.

Yes, you do smell the alcohol. Right up front is a boozy punch reminiscent of a spirit. Vodka, kinda'. There are two kinds of berry smell going on - a perfume sort of raspberry scent and a gentle berry flesh. Some bittering hops too. It smells of cough medicine at first but that harshness mellows out as the beer warms. It's pretty gentle as far as the fruit goes, which means that you mostly smell boozy malt.

This is huh wow. The tongue is greeted first by a medicinal sort of cough syrup flavor that blends into the malt. The key to this beer though is the finish. Swallow and your whole mouth gets superkicked by the alcohol. Tons of sweet heat from the booze gives your tongue a wallop but it is actually sort of - get this - balanced by the fruit on the finish. A sharp but sweet perfume-like blast of raspberry tempers the hit from the alcohol and the lingering aftertaste is that of soft raspberry.

This is pretty thin in mouthfeel for as large a beer, alcohol wise, as it is. I don't think that the beer needs to be thicker; this isn't a beer you're going to swirl in your mouth for a few seconds. Drinkability is suspect. It is tasty and unique and I would drink this again but 18% ABV takes its toll on your palate and on your brain.

This is one of the more unique experiences in beerdom. This is a spirit-like beer and it is quite good, strange though it is. Try it, if only once for the novelty.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours straw color with a slight reddish tint. Smell shows a slight hint of the rasberries that are used in the beer. Taste has hints of rasberries with some hops and malt, but the alcohol taste also plays a big roll. Warming feeling in your stomach after drinking. Feels good in the mouth and is surprisingly drinkable for such a strong beer.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought on January 10 2007. Sampled June 20 2008. Aging for around one year 6 months. Intial pour leaves little lace and head. Cloudy rusty color. Smells of berries with some warming alcohol. Sediment was seen on first pour!

Initial taste is of semisweet berries. Carbonation is low. Semidry with a warming alcohol down the throat. Amazing complexity of flavors. Spicy, peppery, sweety, and the nice smooth alcohol drip down the throat. Alcohol is being felt within the five minutes of writing this review.

Drinkability lowers a little with a high ABV even though it's not tasted much. Recommended for any extreme beer drinker or any drinker of beer.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy red peach colored body with a bit of a head that hangs around and leaves some splashy lacing

Smell: Raspberry puree and alcohol

Taste: Swirling this around in my mouth, I pick up a lot of sweet, but not cloying raspberry flavors that build in tartness by mid-palate; after the swallow, it brings forth a bit of alcoholic warmth

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Tasting the 2011 version (with about 8 months of age), I enjoyed it much more than the first one that came out back in 2006; still, this is a beer that would do much better in a 12 oz. bottle - this is just not a beer that can be enjoyed in quantity (n.b.Dogfish listened!)

Thanks, jkolls, for the chance to revisit

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a golden hue with minimal head on top of an aroma that is slightly sugary and ALL raspberry it seems. A lighter body but still filling thanks to intense carbonation. Raspberry sweetness abounds thanks to the fruit and high yeast notes, but the beer is balanced enough so it's not like drinking straight razz juice or something. Finishes slightly dry and boozy, and I'll admit that I am surprised that the ABV didn't bleed into beer and ruin it.

From 7/24/10 notes.

a - Pours a dark amber color with an inch of reddish head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cherries, dark fruits, and fruity
malts. Hints of alcohol, but not that bad considering the 18% ABV.

t - Tastes of raspberries, other dark fruits, caramel malts, fruity malts, and a bit of alcohol. Again, not too bad considering the ABV.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - I thought this was a pretty good fruit beer. The high ABV would make it hard to drink too much of it, but I didn't feel as though it hurt the smell, taste, or feel. I've had lower ABV beers where the alcohol was much more prominent. Would try again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hzy orange/amber color; some sediment. Poured a 3 finger tan head with good retention to a 1 finger cap. Lazily decanted. No lacing.

S: Rasberries and alcohol with a bit of a wild ale note; thats about it.

T: Rasberries with almost a sweet grape wine flavor. Earthy malt and yeast flavors in the foiundation; sweet and sour. Lots of warming alcohol.

M: Light body; almost thin. Ample carbonation. Dry and slightly hot.

D: I don't know what I was expecting. Interestingly flavorful and who knows about balance. Share with freinds and have something sweet.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy orange-brown with very little head that disappears immediately. Surprise, no lace.
Smell is malty, alcohol, strawberry, and dark fruits.
Taste is like sherry with malt, dark fruits, a big hit of alcohol with no noticeable raspberry but a slight strawberry note.
Full-bodied and a medium effervescence, smooth, almost chewy. A really good beer if a sipping one.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

This is my first beer review so take it for what you will.
I guess up to this point I may not have felt that I could judge beers like many on here do due to the lack of overall sensory observations that many of the people on here have.
My review of DFH Port is overall good.
This beer has a good overall smell. Fruity and alcohol overall. I did not realize until looking on BA that this is an 18% beer.
On an average night I might drink 3-4 beers and the DFH Port started giving me that "buzzed" feeling after the first pint glass which seemed "strange" to me.
The taste is very complex and full of fruits Raspberry being the main flavor, alcohol and other flavors. The first sip was good and My thoughts were that I'd drink this on special occasions but never as a session beer.
Mouthfeel was very good with a good amount of carbonation to it and yet a smooth feel overall.
Drinkability is decent. Depending on the complexity you are used to.
Overall I'd rank this a "Special Occasion" beer. It works very well in the "Buzz" department and is good overall. I may buy a bomber of this to put back to age in the future. for one of my first DFH beers I'm overall impressed!

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 at cellar temperature into a tulip glass. Been looking forward to tasting this one for awhile. Glad to have scored it at Gary's in Madison NJ.

A-Deep peachy amber with a white head that settles rapidly to nothingness. A pleasing looking brew that would be greatly enhanced by some foam on top.

S-Omigod! This smells more like industrial cleaner than something I want to put inside by body. Very chemical and solvent odors are wafting out of my tulip. Somewhere in the background is a fruitiness that I'm not sure I can place, but this is not pleasing. (This was my initial impression, which I am revising mid-review as I revisit the nose in the context of the taste...do not judge this book by its cover (or smell). I originally gave the nose a 1.5, but that would be unfair to this brew. The nose still does not do it justice.

T-What a surprise! This redeems in the taste in a big way. Sweet succulent red raspberry is delivered by strong warming alcohol in a velvet creaminess that is just lovely. Astringent hop and alcohol buzz on the back end and a finish that lasts forever. This is another offering that begs the question..."is this beer?" Don't know what it is, but I like it.

M-Well balanced medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

D-I'm lovin' it, but this is a big beer in a big bottle. Dudes at DFH, please put this in a 12 oz bottle like the 120!

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery